Buds but no trichomes

solidal67

420 Member
Ok, well past transition stage, buds are starting to get big , but they haven't produced any trichomes yet. Should I hit them with a lit of bloom boost until they do, or does anyone have another suggestion ?

You should post a picture if you can. IF you cant you need to describe what the plant looks like in detail size color health. stage of flower its in meaning how long has it been in 12/12. Its really hard without a pic though so post one up!!!

so many things contribute to trich development, strain being a main factor but environment and nutes play large part too. get a pic up. is it soil or hydro? boosts help but depends what it is and wen u give it. keep it simple as poss first time around, dont use loads diff nutes as u wont know what is doing good and what is doing bad.

IMAG0142-11.jpg
IMAG0142-11.jpg
IMAG0144-1.jpg
IMAG014117.jpg

Ok, here's what they look like, any advice? The strains are sour D, and super lemon skunk

I am running Sour D right now - 2nd grow just completing.

Sure I have some advice... give it time... not some bloom additive.

If your nutrient plan is correct... there is no need for any additional boost at this point. Sour D seems to be a late bloomer. I have never grown Super Lemon Skunk.... but I would give the same advice.

Ya... I think your probably right . This isn't my first rodeo, and they always seem to come out really nice. But I hoping someone had some advice to get them to throw crystals sooner so I could get them to stack up. So , if anyone has any helpful tips on how to increase trich. Production early , I m all ears...

I can help with that... but the solution is related to light spectrum... and not nutes.

I run a 1,000W HID with 6" air ducts. My HID generates a lot of UV-B - which is taken out by the lens. Essentially, the plant is getting no UV-B if it is running with artificial lights indoors with a glass sealed reflector.

It turns out that UVB is responsible for the generation of essential oils (among other things)... which means resins... which contain cannabinols such as THC and CBD.

So run out to your local PetSmart or Amazon and find a UV-B Terrarium light with a rating of 10 (not 5) and get it hung within 20" of your plants. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be shocked at the increase in trichomes.

This will actually work... unlike most of the bloom boosters.

Wow...I've heard that before. And was gonna try it but never did. That was 20 inches from it right? How wide of a area will those small little hoods cover. And thanxs for your advice.

20 inches is the maximum effective range. So everything within 20 inches is getting full dose.

If you place two lights into a tent and angle them correctly... I would assume that you could get total coverage.

I have only run one on top of a single plant up to now. I now have two lights hooked up on opposite walls shining towards the center of the tent. I offset them from the walls by about 6". I believe that this should cover the whole tent with a small amount of UVB.

I am still testing myself. Sorry that I can not be of more help.

You can get a reptile bulb or perhaps ad a MH into the mix. Dual spectrum HID obviously mimicks the sun more than a standard hps.

As GL said UVB apparently makes a huge difference. I use a very bluish 7200k bulb and it is rocking my socks off. I feel the spectrum you should grow with is shrouded in controversy but the more UVB the more trichs.
I tell you my indoor plant will smack any outdoor plant in terms of stoniness. I'm blasting it with UVB. 5 inches away! the whole plant is blinded by lights. My indica is so frosty that I'm never going to use a low end standard spec bulb again. I'm not even using any hps in my grow op. just two MH bulbs in two different hoods. Anyways your buds will show in no time. They haven't gotten to that stage yet no worries. Your plants so young it looks like it was in veg yesterday. Lol..

I've never used supplements but if you can somehow increase trich development chemically now that's a trip right there! Ha

-Voltromik

Hey thanxs for all the sound advice, it s much appreciated. And I think your right about the higher end of the spectrum in the bud stage. Cuz I'm r and fuller iunning both Hps and Mh and the the only difference I've noticed , is the ones under the Mh are more frostier looking than the Hps. But the Hps ones seem to have thicker hairs than the Mh. So I'm gonna try rotating them around under both.but again, thank you everyone for all the sound advice.

I can help with that... but the solution is related to light spectrum... and not nutes.

I run a 1,000W HID with 6" air ducts. My HID generates a lot of UV-B - which is taken out by the lens. Essentially, the plant is getting no UV-B if it is running with artificial lights indoors with a glass sealed reflector.

It turns out that UVB is responsible for the generation of essential oils (among other things)... which means resins... which contain cannabinols such as THC and CBD.

So run out to your local PetSmart or Amazon and find a UV-B Terrarium light with a rating of 10 (not 5) and get it hung within 20" of your plants. Give it a couple of weeks and you will be shocked at the increase in trichomes.

This will actually work... unlike most of the bloom boosters.

You sold me greatlife4all. thank you and reps

This is true, I have been reading a lot about UV Light since last year..

Here is some more info from a non-420 website. (I can't link it because they make a type of bulb and I don't think they are a sponsor.)

Here he is describing other plants, but a plant is a plant and a glandular trichome is a glandular trichome :)

Why do plants need UV light?

UV increases the level of essential oils in mints & the production of resin by trichomes of relatives, UV is used for maximum yield and quality of these oils.
UV induces color development in flowers, essential for beautiful red veins in green Kale or Chard.

Full Power Flower -UV light needed to fully fill the glandular trichomes of basil.

Plants of Ocimum basilicum L. were grown in the absence of UV light, both peltate and capitate glandular trichomes were incompletely developed in both mature and developing leaves, the oil sacs being wrinkled and only partially filled, there was a large decrease in the number of broken oil sacs among the peltate glands as the mature glands broke open, releasing volatiles. the number of glands and the qualitative or quantitative composition of the volatiles were badly affected by the lack of UV light.

Tasty Sunscreen?

With added UV light, an increased level of essential oils yields a more powerful scent and flavour. The essential oils also aid in the absorption of UV light , thus a sunscreen for plants. Plants in the wild produce their own kind of “sunscreen,” called flavonoids. Flavonoids screen out some of the more dangerous UVB-type radiation.

OK, what are these Flavonoids?

Flavonoids are antioxidants in fruits, vegetables, tea, and wine - plant nutrients that belong to the polyphenol family. They are really good for you. Flavonoids are responsible for brilliant blues, purples, and greens, as well as yellows, oranges, and reds which cannot be attributed to carotenoids (found in carrots). Carotenoids are fat-soluble, while flavonoids are predominantly water-soluble. Flavonoids are found in more concentrated forms in beans and berries, but also red wine, green tea, and soy products, as well as many common fruits and vegetables.

Several hundred flavonoids can be found in plants, they are the compounds which affect colour, aroma and flavour.

Great information Rico. ++Reps.

You can get a reptile bulb or perhaps ad a MH into the mix. Dual spectrum HID obviously mimicks the sun more than a standard hps.

I am using a dual spectrum HID bulb and this still adds something on top of that... it really isn't a gimmick.

I am, in general, a skeptic... and experience has taught me that this works.

I put a UV-B light above this plant three days ago. It started getting resin everywhere.

The leaves are curling... this is week 7 for an 8 week strain. They were all looking good before I put the light over them. But it wouldn't be unusual for this plant to enter senescence this week.

So I may have it too bright at this point. I am using a dual T5 light fixture - so I now have two of the 10,0 UVB bulbs directly above this plant.

AH33_Color_Enhanced.jpg

I manually white-balanced the picture to eliminate the yellow light of the HPS. It gave it a ghoulish green appearance... but you can see the amazing amount of trichs being produced.

So I may have it too bright at this point. I am using a dual T5 light fixture - so I now have two of the 10,0 UVB bulbs directly above this plant.

You are using two UVB bulbs for only one plant, correct? How many watts are your 10% UVB fluoro bulbs?

Back
Top Bottom