Capn Style - Jack Herer & White Widow - Grow Tent - Top Feed - Rockwool

looking at your first page you said your watering 4 times a day?? I guess if your not seeing any signs of over watering then keep at it, I water once a day in veg and twice a day in flower using rock wool.

Hey Snyper. When I started I had so much conflicting information so I just went with every 4 hours. Then after reading TheCapn's blogs for what felt like the 10th time I saw he only waters once a day in veg and twice a day in flower. I then changed it. Sorry should've mentioned it

Re the bennie teas-
I didn't fully understand from your post there if you are saying all the products listed are available to you?
I'm not an expert on teas by any stretch. I'm kinda feeling my way in the dark- but also get the feeling that I'm unlikely to screw things up too badly. I tend to brew them a little differently each time as I experiment around.
A typical tea I made would have something like this in it

-5 gallons water

- 1-2 cups compost -

- And/or 1-2 tsp powdered bacterial innoculant
(Subculture B being one that I have)

-And/or 20-30ml aquashield (more bacteria)

-25-50ml Botanicare liquid karma- this contains humic acids and various trace elements.

- 2-4 tsp unsulphered mollases.

I bubble this for 24-48 hours.
If I add any mycorhizal fungi such as Great White (I don't have any of this), ZHO, or Subvulture B (the two I do have) - I do it at the end because my understanding is that myco can't live long without roots to attach to.

Other popular additives are fish meal and kelp meal- neither of which I have at the moment.
I'd add Ancient Forest if I could get it here- but am hoping the combination of my compost, along with the Liquid Karma, subs for that part of the recipe.

Here are a couple link for the bennie teas.

Brewing your own benny tea

GreenThumb J's Modified Heisenberg Tea - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

Re the bennie teas-
I didn't fully understand from your post there if you are saying all the products listed are available to you?
I'm not an expert on teas by any stretch. I'm kinda feeling my way in the dark- but also get the feeling that I'm unlikely to screw things up too badly. I tend to brew them a little differently each time as I experiment around.
A typical tea I made would have something like this in it

-5 gallons water

- 1-2 cups compost -

- And/or 1-2 tsp powdered bacterial innoculant
(Subculture B being one that I have)

-And/or 20-30ml aquashield (more bacteria)

-25-50ml Botanicare liquid karma- this contains humic acids and various trace elements.

- 2-4 tsp unsulphered mollases.

I bubble this for 24-48 hours.
If I add any mycorhizal fungi such as Great White (I don't have any of this), ZHO, or Subvulture B (the two I do have) - I do it at the end because my understanding is that myco can't live long without roots to attach to.

Other popular additives are fish meal and kelp meal- neither of which I have at the moment.
I'd add Ancient Forest if I could get it here- but am hoping the combination of my compost, along with the Liquid Karma, subs for that part of the recipe.

Here are a couple link for the bennie teas.

Brewing your own benny tea

GreenThumb J's Modified Heisenberg Tea - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Live or Sterile? Why I choose Live

Thanks so much Weasel

I've ordered most of the stuff, different names here tho. Hope its similar stuff.

Tell me, when adding bennies does this affect my nutrient PPM or do I just continue as always? Also when do I add this? I know once a week but is it after feeding time so they have a longer times in the roots?

Good day peeps

So, I followed all the advice above and removed my scrog, and transplanted the girls into bigger pots.

Any experts out there that can read these roots? Ive heard fine hairs are a good thing but roots also need to be white. I use Amino mix that is a very dark brown colour. Is this the reason for the brown roots?
White Widow
20150930_204119.jpg

20150930_204124.jpg

The Jack roots are more white?
20150930_224200.jpg

Anyways here are my babies in their new pots.
20151001_024719.jpg

20151001_024835.jpg

Rockwool cubes are non existent in South Africa. We only have slabs. This is the tedious process :laughtwo::laughtwo:
20150930_190008.jpg

In other news, new to the family: WONDER WOMAN!!!
20150927_013339.jpg

20151001_024706.jpg

the brown roots can be caused by your nutrient solution and can also be from being exposed to the air. What did it smell like?? I know you cut back your watering already, but watering 4 times a day could cause root rot as well being as they would not have had a chance to dry out. I believe root rot give off a bad odor though... If your in new pots and only watering once a day you should be good. The plants also look happy and healthy so I would not be too concerned.

:bump:
The streets wanna kno.....what's the latest on the gro?

Hey guys

Sorry for the long wait. I've been moving and it's been kinda tricky. Plants were kept in my mom's garage. Yep you heard me, my dearest mommy. Tent was setup today at my new house and the plants will move over tomorrow. Everything is running smooth, the White Widow is really stretching now. Jack still stubby and small. Not sure if Jack Herer has this trait??? But yea struggling to get her bigger. I'll will upload more once everything is back to normal. Here are some current pics I took just now
20151014_002937.jpg

20151014_002924.jpg

Order everything to try out African style beneficial bacteria, sure it will arrive soon.

I took this a week ago. Totally forgot about it. Is it normal for the new leaves to have lighter, almost lime green center that fades to a darker green or is this a nutrient thing? Both Jack and WW are on the same reservoir and the Jack does not show these signs..
20151008_223007.jpg

Also, the WW roots are visible again at the bottom. Do I transplant again? The air pots we have here only come in two sizes so I was thinking of mounting two on top of each other. Is this a good idea or do I rather go for something that has a bigger radius vs a deep pot?

Sorry for all the questions

Hey Cc. They look awesome. I'm guessing that the light green is normal. Younger foliage tends to be a lighter color and it seems to me that I see the color contrast more with hydro gardens. I thought maybe because of the faster growth rate. I'm just guessing/making all this theory of mine up and could be totally out to lunch ;)
The only Jack Herer version I have grown was from Green House Seeds co. It seems to be indica dominant and was short and stubby. I think the 'real' versions of Jack are more sativa. I didn't like that particular (GHS) strain much but some others love it so it could have been grower related issues that made it turn out bad.

I see I never noticed before your question about the teas.
The life of bacteria and fungi in the root system is ever mysterious because we can't see it. Conventional wisdom is that high nutrient levels, especially phosphorus, kill myco fungi. I'm not sure about the interaction with bacteria. I did email GH about the proper use of the Subculture beneficial products, and they said that it can be applied along with nutrients as long as the ppm is under 1200 (I'm pretty sure that the number they said). Otherwise they said to wait till the next day. Personally I apply beneficial teas midway between feedings in the hopes that the bennies will survive better and be more effective.
I don't know if I posted this link already- but Greenthumb J in his journal talks a fair amount about his use of teas.GreenThumb J's Perpetual Multi-Strain Journal!
He said the tea drenches made his roots sparkling white. Yes I believe roots commonly get stained by nutrients.

As to your transplanting question- hmmmm... I can't think of any issues really but I've never used airpots or rockwool :) Yes roots like to go down, though they'll generally fill any available space. I think the possible issues from the shape of the pot would be how well the water saturates the medium and how evenly it dries. In your situation with multiple feedings in a forgiving medium like rockwool, I can't see any issues at all. The times I've grown in five gallon buckets of peat moss/soilless mix, I found them a bit too tall and skinny to work well. This probably has absolutely no bearing on your situation :)
I can't think of anything else too intelligent to say about it

Hey boys and girls

So a quick update on the grow. White widow has been in veg for 11 weeks now and I think it's almost time to start flowering her. At the moment I don't have any space so I am going to try to get a 1x1 (meter) tent in the next 2 weeks or so and continue to strive for a good low maintenance perpetual grow setup as in my 3D drawings. Ill post the plan again. It's a heap of work (and money) so I'll do my best to get it done ASAP!
Here's the design again

When I eventually get to this point I'll start focusing on CO2, RO water and a light mover
:Users:rynodeweerdt:Desktop:Garage_dream_idea.png

Miss White is really stretching now. She's taking over and stealing light from Miss Jack. Will start cloning very soon.

20151020_1800361.jpg

20151020_1800431.jpg

Little Wonder woman is also looking nice.

20151020_1800321.jpg

20151020_1800301.jpg

As for a bigger pot I came up with this monster. Looks really cool and it's massive. Transplant will happen soon and will, as always post some pics.

20151021_223858_2.jpg

One quick question. I read somewhere (unfortunately cannot find the journal) that when flowering, I should stop using airpots. Is this true or can I keep them in the same large pot???

Thanks

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Nope, the Capn left the site about a year ago. there are still a few of us around that were growing "Capn Style". You can click the link in my signature to see my first Capn Style grow. I have been growing this way since but have not got around to doing another journal. It is a great way to keep a low plant count and get a great return every month.

Back
Top Bottom