Cheesesteak's Soil Amnesia Haze Auto & Stardawg Grow Journal, 2018

Hi! Figured I'd keep a journal here for all who are interested, as well as to gain some feedback on what I can improve, or any red flags that some see that I may not. It's my first grow, so, I am open to suggestions!

I am growing: Amnesia Haze Auto (Sativa-dom) purchased from a seed bank, and a Stardawg (Hybrid) seed that happened to be in an 1/8 of a dispensary purchase. I know, it's generally advised against to plant a seed like that, but it's just for fun and practice, no matter how it turns out. The Amnesia Haze is what I'm really caring most about.

They are being grown in a 24x24x48 grow tent with a 300W LED light on a 24/0 cycle. There is a carbon filter with exhaust fan, and an oscillating fan on the inside to promote stem strength. I have added zero nutes.

Some background: A few days ago I had shared concerns with possible heat stress on my Amnesia Haze plant, but that has been chalked up to over-worrying, and I agree. It has been fine. For those interested, the thread is here.

Stardawg was a very rough first month. I did not have the right kind of soil, water, or environment until a couple weeks in. Pretty sure I over-watered it, too. Made probably nearly every noob mistake there was to make in such a short time frame. The first set of serrated leaves dried to a crisp, and one ended up falling off. I changed the soil to Just Natural Organic potting mix and added perlite, pH balanced water, and started seeing immediate improvement. As it continued to grow, I opted to change the soil one final time to Foxfarm Ocean Forest and moved it into a 3 gal Smart Pot. Just a huge difference, I will include pictures of the transition below.

Amnesia Haze was started on the right foot, proper soil/light/water/etc. It is very low and bushy I think, compared to Stardawg, but that is because Stardawg stretched as a seedling where Amnesia Haze was content hovering just slightly over the soil. Sometimes it's wild to look at all the other grows and journals and see how wildly different plants can grow. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

Pictures with dates incoming... as well as some additional details of the grow.

Hi! Figured I'd keep a journal here for all who are interested, as well as to gain some feedback on what I can improve, or any red flags that some see that I may not. It's my first grow, so, I am open to suggestions!

I am growing: Amnesia Haze Auto (Sativa-dom) purchased from a seed bank, and a Stardawg (Hybrid) seed that happened to be in an 1/8 of a dispensary purchase. I know, it's generally advised against to plant a seed like that, but it's just for fun and practice, no matter how it turns out. The Amnesia Haze is what I'm really caring most about.

They are being grown in a 24x24x48 grow tent with a 300W LED light. There is a carbon filter with exhaust fan, and an oscillating fan on the inside to promote stem strength. I have added zero nutes.

Some background: A few days ago I had shared concerns with possible heat stress on my Amnesia Haze plant, but that has been chalked up to over-worrying, and I agree. It has been fine. For those interested, the thread is here.

Stardawg was a very rough first month. I did not have the right kind of soil, water, or environment until a couple weeks in. Pretty sure I over-watered it, too. Made probably nearly every noob mistake there was to make in such a short time frame. The first set of serrated leaves dried to a crisp, and one ended up falling off. I changed the soil to Just Natural Organic potting mix and added perlite, pH balanced water, and started seeing immediate improvement. As it continued to grow, I opted to change the soil one final time to Foxfarm Ocean Forest and moved it into a 3 gal Smart Pot. Just a huge difference, I will include pictures of the transition below.

Amnesia Haze was started on the right foot, proper soil/light/water/etc. It is very low and bushy I think, compared to Stardawg, but that is because Stardawg stretched as a seedling where Amnesia Haze was content hovering just slightly over the soil. Sometimes it's wild to look at all the other grows and journals and see how wildly different plants can grow. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

Pictures with dates incoming... as well as some additional details of the grow.
Sweet you decided to start a journal!. You're gonna catch the bug i can tell :D

Additional info: RH hangs around 47-55%, temp between 77-82. Water pH stays at about 6.3ish, soil pH tests are good as well. Watering more sparingly now, especially with Smart Pots. Giving it a good saturation and waiting until pretty dry before adding anymore water.

Here are some pics. Most have dates but some do not.

Paper towel germ'd Stardawg, sprouted from soil on 8/10/18 which I am considering Day 1.
full

Stardawg Seedling, looking happy - for now - 8/16/18 (Day 6)
full

Stardawg Seedling, moved into tent - 8/18/18 (Day 8)
full

Stardawg Seedling, starting to get crispy, only now realizing some of the mistakes I was making - ~8/20/18 (Day 10)
full

In the meantime, my Amnesia Haze Auto had sprouted - 9/3/2018 (Day 1)
full

Good thing too, because I had begun to resign to Stardawg and its impending death (~Day 12)
full

But, after I changed the soil and water appropriately, it caught its second wind. Resilient Stardawg (Day ~15)
full

Fast forward a bit to Sept. 8th and here is Amnesia Haze, leaves already bigger than Stardawg. (Day 5)
full

Stardawg still growing and looking healthier, Sept. 8th as well (Day 30)
full

Stardawg Sept 10th (Day 32)
full

Amnesia Haze Sept 10th (Day 7)
full

Stardawg Sept 13th (Day 35)
full

full

full

Amnesia Haze Sept 13th (Day 10)
full

full

I'll be slowing down on pics, I have a ton and don't want it to be overkill, but I will certainly update regularly. Any thoughts?

Additional info: RH hangs around 47-55%, temp between 77-82. Water pH stays at about 6.3ish, soil pH tests are good as well. Watering more sparingly now, especially with Smart Pots. Giving it a good saturation and waiting until pretty dry before adding anymore water.

Here are some pics. Most have dates but some do not.

Paper towel germ'd Stardawg, sprouted from soil on 8/10/18 which I am considering Day 1.
full

Stardawg Seedling, looking happy - for now - 8/16/18 (Day 6)
full

Stardawg Seedling, moved into tent - 8/18/18 (Day 8)
full

Stardawg Seedling, starting to get crispy, only now realizing some of the mistakes I was making - ~8/20/18 (Day 10)
full

In the meantime, my Amnesia Haze Auto had sprouted - 9/3/2018 (Day 1)
full

Good thing too, because I had begun to resign to Stardawg and its impending death (~Day 12)
full

But, after I changed the soil and water appropriately, it caught its second wind. Resilient Stardawg (Day ~15)
full

Fast forward a bit to Sept. 8th and here is Amnesia Haze, leaves already bigger than Stardawg. (Day 5)
full

Stardawg still growing and looking healthier, Sept. 8th as well (Day 30)
full

Stardawg Sept 10th (Day 32)
full

Amnesia Haze Sept 10th (Day 7)
full

Stardawg Sept 13th (Day 35)
full

full

full

Amnesia Haze Sept 13th (Day 10)
full

full

I'll be slowing down on pics, I have a ton and don't want it to be overkill, but I will certainly update regularly. Any thoughts?
Looking good my friend. Very happy. Keep an eye on that amnesia auto. Once autos hit flower they stretch like crazy, Well the sativa leaners have for me anyway so i suspect the ammy will. I imagine that stardawg will be a photoperiod so my advice would be keep lights going normal hours until the auto finishes while keeping the stardawg low and then chuck that into flower hours.

Looking good my friend. Very happy. Keep an eye on that amnesia auto. Once autos hit flower they stretch like crazy, Well the sativa leaners have for me anyway so i suspect the ammy will. I imagine that stardawg will be a photoperiod so my advice would be keep lights going normal hours until the auto finishes while keeping the stardawg low and then chuck that into flower hours.

Thank you! To be honest I really did think Stardawg was going to tank so I went ahead and got started on the Auto, but since it's thriving I'll definitely be doing as you suggested, I do agree Stardawg is likely a photoperiod plant. What I am most nervous about now is trying to maintain it's size, managing that is brand new to me and I'm afraid to damage the plant, but I'll need to figure something out. Two plants in that one tent is probably going to end up a pain.

Stardawg is a great strain.

Agreed here as well, I was pretty excited to have found a seed of it! Here's to hoping it's a girl, and if not, I have learned a ton already from it, so it will not be a loss either way.

Personally id top the stardawg like now but seeing as its been through the wars id say leave it get a liitle more growth on it or at the least just get in and take the smallest little growth tips right jn the centre. If you geently pull the middle leafs apart you'll see it in there.

Hey all, quick update. I've topped my Stardawg today, it was scary but once I did it, it wasn't so bad. Still no pests of any kind, I have literally no complaints whatsoever right now. But it's still early in the game, and I have to prepare myself for LST and nutes, more things I've never messed with before.

Stardawg, newly topped. (Day 40)
full

And here is Amnesia Haze nice and happy. I've seen debate on whether to top auto's or not. Thoughts? (Day 15)
full

Hey Cheese! Nice setup so far and good job getting things going! Amnesia is looking good! Star is really growing nicely !

Autoflowers: training is a great way to get optimal yields from these special girls. Topping is great for autos as well from my experience ! But idea window is between days 14-21 as long as your plant is strong and healthy ! Don’t top after day 21, that’s a bit to late!

Great job on the LST so far it will pay off in the end!

Have a great day!

Too late to top the auto, we top autos at around day 21 from seed.

Ah I missed the window by a couple of days! Oh well, I will be doing two more rounds of auto's before I go for anything else so I will get it on the next batch!

Ill pull up a chair and watch things unfold if you don't mind. The ladies are looking great btw!!!

Please do, happy to have you! Thank you!

Hey Cheese! Nice setup so far and good job getting things going! Amnesia is looking good! Star is really growing nicely !

Autoflowers: training is a great way to get optimal yields from these special girls. Topping is great for autos as well from my experience ! But idea window is between days 14-21 as long as your plant is strong and healthy ! Don’t top after day 21, that’s a bit to late!

Great job on the LST so far it will pay off in the end!

Have a great day!

Thank you! It's been a journey and a half already but this community has been a wealth of knowledge and encouragement. Thank you for dropping in :)

Back
Top Bottom