Colorado High - Soilless - LED/CFL - Skunk Red Hair - 2014

I have been treating it like soil so far by not pH adjusting my nutrient solution but the leaves are still showing issues that appear to be N-deficient. I guess I will stay the course and see if this corrects itself over time. Thanks, b.real!

question CH . you top the babies there after gets few nods tall right. are you going to make 2 stems from ones left by tie-ing the down to grow in separate ways. is that flexing thing I keep seeing.

reason I asked I topped mine like 4-5 times. now I have bushy plants. but I did bend few stems also.

Okay, the more I think about this, the more I come to the realization that this is a pH issue and not having the precise enough pH testing equipment is not helping either. I did a little test to find out what the pH was of the decholorinated tap water I use for my grows along with the nutrients I add each time I feed and water and the results were rather surprising.

~8.0 pH reading of the dechlorinated tap water, DTW, I use for my grows -

DSCN24244.JPG

~6.5 pH reading of the DTW and Growology Step 2 -

DSCN24252.JPG

~5.0 pH reading of the DTW, Growology Step 2 and molasses -

DSCN24273.JPG

It would appear that I've been giving my plants a nutrient solution whose pH is way too low, even for peat moss. I can either raise the pH of each the nutrient solution using ph UP or amend my soil with dolomite lime to bring the pH up to a soil level of 6.5 rather than a hydro/soilless level of 5.8. I'm still not sure I wouldn't have to add pH Up anyways. I'm concerned that my pH testing process is not that precise and I would rather not spend any more money on pH testing equipment. I'm leaning towards adding ph Up to my nutrient solutions to get it to just below a 6.0 pH. Are the pH drops an accurate enough indicator to properly pH balance my nutrient solution? What are members' preferences regarding balancing the pH in the medium over balancing the pH of nutrients solutions?

My preference would be to pH balance the nutrient solution you feed your plants. Are you not using a calcium and magnesium supplement since you will be using LED lights?

question CH . you top the babies there after gets few nods tall right. are you going to make 2 stems from ones left by tie-ing the down to grow in separate ways. is that flexing thing I keep seeing.

reason I asked I topped mine like 4-5 times. now I have bushy plants. but I did bend few stems also.

From what I understand of fluxing. the plant is topped at the first or second node and trained flat and level just above the surface of the medium. I topped mine just above the fourth node, with the fourth or fifth nodes being the most common from what I've read here at :420:. Depending on how these kids develop I may top again, but I will be employing LSTing to spread out the branches like my last grow.

My preference would be to pH balance the nutrient solution you feed your plants. Are you not using a calcium and magnesium supplement since you will be using LED lights?

Thanks KJC! I was hoping that the molasses, which contains cal/mag would help to offset any deficiencies. Do you think I still need a separate cal/mag supplement?

:goodjob:just to make sure i was going to use molasses in my grow but i read to wait till last two weeks flowering ????? if i could use throughout the whole grow i would like to i also read it makes the bud more sticky better yeild and better tasting whats your opinion Colorado high:thanks:

Well, greendad, my opinion on molasses is changing based on a revived thread - Molasses for stickier buds? - starting at post 107. The basic gist is that while molasses works well with organic grows, using molasses with chemical fertilizers is a waste of molasses as the chemical nutrients kill all of the microbial life in the medium that the molasses is supposed to benefit. While I still gain the benefit of the cal/mag present in molasses, I think I'm better off getting a cal/mag supplement and holding off on the molasses for now.

Not really any dolomite will work I got mine at HD make sure it's dolomite or garden lime not the hydrogenated

I almost made that mistake, dolomite lime was called agricultural lime, not the hydrated lime I almost purchased. Would you do a top dressing work Harley09 or should I just wait and add it to the medium before I start the next grow?

Thanks KJC! I was hoping that the molasses, which contains cal/mag would help to offset any deficiencies. Do you think I still need a separate cal/mag supplement?

Yes I believe you will still require a calcium and magnesium supplement.

:goodjob:just to make sure i was going to use molasses in my grow but i read to wait till last two weeks flowering ????? if i could use throughout the whole grow i would like to i also read it makes the bud more sticky better yeild and better tasting whats your opinion Colorado high:thanks:

Unsulfered molasses can be used in in vegetative growth and flowering in soil and soiless grows at 1 tablespoon or 15 millilitres per gallon, unsulfered molasses can be used as a harvest flush at 1-2 tablespoons or 15-30 millilitres per gallon. Molasses should not be used in hydroponic and aeroponic systems.

Back
Top Bottom