Colorado High - Soil - LED/CFL - Easy Rider Redux - 2015

For the first time in my short cannabis growing experience, I've lost the majority of my grow in one fell swoop. Both H1 and H2 have gone full-on hermaphroditic and have been removed from the grow room, unfortunately, not before at least one stamen had already opened up. The tiny little buggers individually hid in clumps of flowers close to the main stem. A thorough check of O1 shows no stamens at the present time and I can only hope that this time the cause is linked to a passed down genetic predisposition towards hermaphroditism and not environmentally related. Only time will tell if O1 has been inseminated. I'm contemplating terminating this grow and starting a new one immediately considering I only have one lady left and she might/probably will go to seed. <SIGH>

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I would guess it was due to genetics, dont blame yourself for it.

Need any seeds or clones? Im about to go remove some lower growth under my net.

Dont let it get to you, and keep growing those awesome plants for us to gawk at.

:thanks: KCMP. I've still got plenty of seeds from my original order a couple of years ago so I should be set for quite a while. I'm not giving up growing, but I am seriously considering scrapping this grow to start another with fresh seeds, not hermie seeds like this time.

thats the risk of using seeds from a hermi plant/random bag seed. Sorry bout your luck man. You could always use the plants to make oil or butter.

Yeah, I went into this grow knowing it was a very distinct possibility. Initially, the hermies were only going to be one third of the grow, due to germination issues, they ended up being two thirds of it and that is the unfortunate reality here. The trichome production of these plants was just starting to develop so I'm not confident that there would be enough to create a strong enough butter/oil. I have more than enough mulch, left over vaped flowers, to make more than enough butter/oil for myself.

What a shame buddy but as you say you knew this could happen. No worries though as long as you got the beans & the know-how you'll be back on the wagon asap lol! so when does the next chapter in this saga begin?
:popcorn:

The last butter i made from my leaves and left over vaporized buds knocked me on my ass didn't want to do anything never tried to make oil from it. Was thinking about making it with alcohol bu still haven't maybe next harvest. From my current lsd.

:thanks: SolMJ! I'm meticulously examining my one remaining lady to ensure that she hasn't gone hermie either. So far, so good. Hopefully, any pollen that might have been released did minimal damage and this lady can continue to harvest sometime next month.

:popcorn:

Week 6/Day 40 of flowering and a recent examination of O1 revealed that this lady has also gone hermie. While there aren't as many stamens that there were on H1 and H2, there definitely are stamens forming and they are getting increasingly difficult to find and remove before they open. Since this grow is starting week 7 of flowering in a few days and is hopefully just a few weeks away from harvest, I'm going to try and salvage this lady by checking for stamens every day and try to keep her as free of seeds as possible. I'm counting on the fact that seeds shouldn't have enough time to fully form/ripen before harvest and therefore shouldn't significantly impact the harvest quality/quantity too much. As always, time will tell.

Week 7/Day 43 of flowering and the remaining lady is still alive and chugging along. I removed most every fan leaf attached to the main stem to bring in more light not only to the developing buds but also to my watchful eyes to aid in my relenting search for stamens, After removing a couple of stamens from her 3 days ago, I have been unable to locate any more anywhere on her. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it stays that way, nevertheless, I'm continuing my daily checks to locate and remove any stamens that I find.

Single shot of O1 on day 43 of flowering -

IMG_016639.JPG

Close-up shots of the top O1 on day 43 of flowering -

IMG_016737.JPG

IMG_016845.JPG

After noticing some nutrient burn on the leaf tips, I've come to the conclusion that Growology, at the recommended 1 Tbsp/gallon dosage, should not be used every watering when used with soil. I fed the ladies every other watering during vegging and saw not one issue the entire time. At the start of flowering, I fed them with every watering and after a few weeks, it became clear that it was a tad too much. I won't feed her again for a while and see how she does on Cal-Mag Plus fortified water. I hope all is well with you and yours!!

Hey Colorado your plants are looking good...really hope you manage to keep those stamens at bay. Regarding nutes I use the floraseries & even at 1/4 stength every 4 days they show signs of nute burn so I used plain water the past week. Some people like nute burn because it means they're taking in as much as they possibly can...whats your take on this? I suppose a little isn't a problem, especially mid-way through flower when your about to flush.
:thumb:

Hey CH, nice update they lookin good.

mind if i ask you how many LT/gal pot you use with that pheno

:thanks: SolMJ! I've tried to minimize nutrient burn as much as possible because from what I understand, nutrient overdose can cause imbalances which can block other nutrients from getting absorbed by the plant causing other secondary issues in addition to just the nutrient burn.

Back
Top Bottom