Conquer's Lavender Grow 2010!

Kali,
I will definitely try to keep them as cool as possible during flower...I really want to see them purple out!
These 4 that I have going right now are just some bagseeds (some kind of diesel I think). I am still waiting for the Lavender seeds to come in the mail. I've been waiting a few weeks already, I hope they didn't jack me. I hope not!

Well, I see that you have them back under control. They look good! Remember, though, to keep them in the upper 60s (F) or above for most of the time, because when they get too cold they pretty much stop growing entirely.

I'm excited because I want to compare your Lavender with mine as it grows. Mine is from a clone source and probable dozens of growers removed from her real origin, so I don't really have any way to prove it is Lavender. This should be a fun way to find out.

Of course, my "Lavender" is currently my easy favorite of the strains I have grown, so I won't get rid of it even if it's not really Lav. It does grow very indica, the bud does get a lavender tinge to it, it is dense as hell, and it works better than anything I have tried for my knee pain. I can only hope you are as pleased with what you get.

:popcorn:

:peace:

Thanks for the comments Aberation!

My temps have been 68day-53night which is a bit chilly. I have my grow tent out in the garage, so the temps are definitely lower than optimal at night when the lights are off. I've been trying to think of a verrry cheap solution to keep the temps a bit warmer. I even tried filling some jugs with hot water and placing them in the tent but they lose heat too quickly to really be effective for the whole night.
Also, during my grow, if you have any lavender pics you want to post as a comparison, please do so..I'd love to see them!

Thanks for the comments Aberation!

My temps have been 68day-53night which is a bit chilly. I have my grow tent out in the garage, so the temps are definitely lower than optimal at night when the lights are off. I've been trying to think of a verrry cheap solution to keep the temps a bit warmer. I even tried filling some jugs with hot water and placing them in the tent but they lose heat too quickly to really be effective for the whole night.

No prob. I don't know what your light schedule is relative to the 'real-world' day, but if you run the bloom lights at night it should help keep them a tad warmer when they need it most, and the temp fluctuations will be less. Of course there may be other reasons to use a different schedule. If the cops are breaking the law and using infrared cameras to find the 'hot' houses, then you are more easily spotted with lights on at night.

I'm a legit med grower, so I run mine at night. It reduces the amount of AC I need to run in the summer and the amount of heater I need to run in the winter. It also means they turn them on shortly after I get home from work (long commute) and turn off at the same time I'm leaving for work in the morning. This maximizes the lights-on time while I am home.

These are the thoughts that keep me from going to sleep some nights - once I get to thinking about things like this it can get hard to shut it off. :trance:

Also, during my grow, if you have any lavender pics you want to post as a comparison, please do so..I'd love to see them!

I hope I understand correctly that you mean for me to post my pics for comparison here and not in my thread. If that's not the case, let me know. But even with permission it feels weird to take up real estate in someone else's journal with my pictures, you know? So I'll keep it brief (at least as brief as a stoner can manage, ;)) and the small pics here are linked to 1024x680 versions for a closer look.

I'll just throw some pics of the three biggest Lavenders I have. One of these will go into bloom as soon as it is big enough, one will be sacrificed to the cloner, and one will likely be given away just as she is big enough to be bloomed. There's a profile shot where you can see they are only about 4" tall. There's an overhead. There's a closer overhead of L3, and then a shot to see the tight internodal spacing, in that order:

:peace:

Thanks Aberation!

Yea, I too am a medical grower, and well within my legal plant limit, so I'm not so much worried about the po-police. I simply put my light schedule as "on" during the day and "off" at night, because it gives me the most time to tend to the plants with my schedule...Although that might change as summer rolls around and I switch over to my 600w heat makers. We'll see I guess.

Today, I was able to borrow a friend's little space heater. I'm going to put it in the tent this afternoon and get it dialed in to kick in if the temps drop below 65. Even though spring is approaching, the temps outside at night have been close to freezing, and my garage definitely gets chilly. I hope this addition will help to keep the babies nice and comfortable and growing quickly.

Also Aberation, I thank you for your courtesy. You definitely have permission to post your Lavender pics on my journal as a comparison! I have heard there are quite a few different types of Lavender out there, so it will be interesting to see some of the differences and similarities between our girls. :yummy:

Anyway, I'll try to post some update pics a little later this evening. They are starting to have very noticeable growth day-to-day!

Be back later!:thanks:

Update!

Ok, so today is 18 days from seed. Here are some pics I took a few minutes ago:

CanonRebel_049.PNG

Here's the little space heater that I got to keep my 'lights off' temps up.

CanonRebel_0501.PNG

CanonRebel_0531.PNG

Growing a thick stock

CanonRebel_0511.PNG

CanonRebel_0552.PNG

Finally got the Lavender seeds in the mail today!! I was starting to think I got ripped off, or they got held up in customs or something. Anyway, they're here and I'm stoked!!

Now I just need to decide on my Germ method. I have always used the paper towel method, and planted them directly in the soil when they crack. But, I recently bought a handful of jiffy pellets...and kinda want to give them a try.
Does anyone have any experience with the jiffy pellets? Pro's/Con's??

I'm leaning towards the paper-towel method, because that seems to work well for me...but the pellets seem kinda cool, and I'd like to give them a try even if not this time around.

I decided to go with the paper towel method. I'd rather give the jiffy pellets a try on some seeds that I didn't spend good money on.
Anyway, so I put 4 of the lavender seeds into a warm dark place in a wet papertowel to germinate last night. Hopefully in the next 24-36 hours I be transferring all of them into dixie cups to sprout.

Next update soon! Alohaz!

Today the Lavender seeds cracked! So, the seeds have gone into dixie cups to sprout in the next day or two. Can't wait!

Pics:

CanonRebel_0581.PNG

Good ol paper towel method.

CanonRebel_060.PNG

In their cups to sprout

That's it for now...Any tips or comments are welcome!:thanks:

Lookin good bro, excited to see the Lav! These nice days up here in the PNW have been making for some cold nights, I actually saw a little snow today mixed with hail! +rep for the journal. I also like your tent, good job with the DIY.:goodjob:

my room was like 40-50 degrees every night lol. i dont reconmend it honestly.

i notice that this decomposed horse shit is super nitrogeny. like so much it burnt an stunted my plants insanely. when that plant came out that i used it on i did purple widow. every one of my other p widows came out like masterkush in that same smell and taste but the one i used that horsie stuff on came out. im serious. almost straight maroon. it wasn't purple and it wasnt red. it was right in between, im talking the leaves too.

me and my friend were thinking about making a tea out of this and using it in the last few weeks of flowering. that or this soil mix my or you can just put your bitches out in the cold. my cousin lives up in the snow and he puts his purples outside at night (under a porch or something covered) up in the snow and they always turn out purple inside and out.

deplete their potasium near the end and i promise purps too. mind you only the tops of buds get pure purple with this strain...

Thanks for the input Kali!

I'm hoping to keep them cool as possible during the last few weeks of flower to bring out that purple! I've never heard of fizzling out to potassium to get that effect though. I'll have to look into that as well.

:peacetwo::ganjamon:

Ok,

Just a quick update...

I'm kinda disappointed at the quality of the Lavender seeds that I just got. I germed 4, and only 1 was strong enough to fully sprout into a seedling. The other 3 cracked just enough to let the tap root start coming out, but then ran out of energy and died out. I usually have a near perfect success at starting seeds, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the seeds. Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Anyway, I've started 3 more, and they better make it!! I'll be back soon for a photo update!:peacetwo:

Sucks to hear that happened. Some seedlings are really temperamental. I had a seed germinating the other day that I forgot about to the point leaves were popping out while it was still between paper towels. I planted him in soil and basically dusted the top with soil and sure enough the little guy popped out 12 hours later and is going strong.

Without leaves to photosynthesize, we've got to make do with the energy stored inside seeds. If you're going to plant more Lavender try transplanting them as shallow as possible for the best chance to live.

Best of luck.

Update!

Ok, so the bagseed strain is about 30 days old from seed now! for the last couple days I had some anti-mj family in town, so the babies and the T5 had to go 'undercover into a closet. The closet had zero ventilation so I had some high temps around 95 degrees. It definitely took a toll on them...in the pics, you can see a few damaged leaves. Not too bad though. Today they got to go back into the tent. I gave them a good watering with 1/4 strength FF Grow big, and I started some LST action.

Here's the pics:

11.PNG

21.PNG

Some leaf damage. I think from the heat.

31.PNG

41.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

Here's a pic of the 1 Lavender seed that actually germinated. It's about 6 days old now.

Thanks everyone! Be back soon!!:ganjamon:

Oh, also forgot...The 3 other lavender seeds I started germinating just cracked. I hope to post some pics of brand new seedlings in the next couple days!

Quick update:

The babies are responding to the lst very well. All the undergrowth has already started shooting upwards. about an inch since yesterday.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow!

Day 31 Veg / Day 8 veg Lavender PICS!

Aloha,

today is day 31 of veg for the bagseed, and day 8 for the Lavender. Everything seems to be going well and I'm just waiting for them to grow up big and strong!

On a side note with the Lavender...the 3 extra seeds that I started germinating are super weak. They popped a few days ago, and put out an 1/8in. tap root. Since then, they have remained the same....so today I stuck them in soil to see if they'll make it. It seems as though these Lavender seeds only have just enough energy to pop, but not enough to energy to fully sprout. So far I only have the 1 sprout from 7 seeds that I started!

I got the Lavender seeds from bcseeds.com. Has anyone gotten seeds from these guys before? If so, how was your experience?? I may have to contact these guys if things don't get better!

day31.PNG

day31_2.PNG

Loving the LST! You can still see some of the damaged leaves from their closet sauna session.

day31_3.PNG

day31_4.PNG

day temps 76-79, night temps 63-68

day8.PNG

My scraggly Lavender seedling...on day 8, and looking better every day

:bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom