Cooking with The Chronic

One last watering and a couple days to dry a bit and then I'm harvesting my two plants. I'm going to try making canna butter for the first time. May hit you guys up when I do. Like for example. Can I use cast iron? Or does it need to be stainless steel?
I make mine in cast iron. I do it in the oven because it's easy to regulate the proper temperature for the duration.

It's really easy, so easy that frankly, I'm mystified why anyone would buy a butter making machine (but I'm sorta mystified about a lot of things that people buy--diehard minimalist) that takes a lot of space & can't be used for much else (I use my dutch oven for a ton of things)

And, I make fan leaf oil, too. & it will get one quite stoned. Plus, I think it tastes good! To me, the leaf oil tastes better than bud oil. Don't know why, but it does, at least to me.

I make mine in cast iron. I do it in the oven because it's easy to regulate the proper temperature for the duration.

It's really easy, so easy that frankly, I'm mystified why anyone would buy a butter making machine (but I'm sorta mystified about a lot of things that people buy--diehard minimalist) that takes a lot of space & can't be used for much else (I use my dutch oven for a ton of things)

And, I make fan leaf oil, too. & it will get one quite stoned. Plus, I think it tastes good! To me, the leaf oil tastes better than bud oil. Don't know why, but it does, at least to me.

I have a paper bag with all the leafy trim that I cut off as she grew. Was planing on useing them as well. So yeah me. My wife likes the leafs too. The trim from harvest is in a paper bag in the freezer.

Thanks for pointing me here newty.... been looking for this.
Yayyyy! Ol' Pied Piper @newty bringing more canna-bakers to the theead!
:slide::yahoo::slide::yahoo::slide:

Feel free to share away iti... Bunch of mad scientists in here tryin to perfect the craft. Hope to compile a monster cookbook right here for quick reference.

:passitleft:

So I recently had alot of extra trim around, everything was dried and crispy. So I usually do some bubble hash but I figured I'd try the leftovers in some butter. I then seen some virgin coconut oil when I was out shopping... 1.6l jug. Then I went to the thrift store... crockpot 10$ I was all set. Got home and prepped for making hash and oil the next day.

So I've only got a 1 gallon bubble bag, and one bag had mildew on it when I received it... I told the seller but the replacement he sent was way a smaller then the other bags, so I just don't use it. 3 bags 220,100,and 25. I estimate I had about 9 ozs of good trim and popcorn. (Nine 1 liter Mason jars stuffed of bone dry trim) so I banged it through the hash bags pretty quick... I would wash 3 jars with ice for about 5 mins with a paint mixer and the drill. Remove the washed material into a bowl and repeat until all was done. I then quickly scraped the bags and ended up with around 9 g of bubble hash.

Then I started up the crockpot and dumped in the 1.6 liters of virgin coconut oil got that melted removed any excess ice from the leftover material and added it to the crockpot. So I didnt know what the temp would be so I had it on low first, but it only got to 175 F. I then cranked it up on high which got me bubbling at 215 - 220 cause I'm also doing the decarbing in the oil.

After cooking for about 12 hours I let it cool so I could strain. I then used some cheese cloth to get everything out. Worked out good... rubber gloves and squeezed the shit out of it. Now I wasnt aware of how much water was leftover mixed in. So I put is back in the cleaned crockpot and then was spooned the oil off the top into jars till I could filter the water and oil then poured it into a bowl and in the fridge.
I've ate a couple test teaspoons and could feel a nice buzz.

After this I ran the left over bubble hash water with some more virgin coconut oil in the crockpot. I put the full crockpot in the refrigerator after I ran this for 12 hrs and then let it cool. The oil came out really easy afterwards., I'll definitely be going this way in the future. I haven't try this oil yet but it didnt change colour like the leftover material run.

I'll get some pics up of the oil later... the GH needs some tending... or most pics are in my journal

:thanks:

On the cooking front (not just weed-related), I'm always out to do more with less.

My simple oil:

Spread leaves & trim on a baking sheet & decarb at 230F for 45 min. (easy enough to decarb in oil, too).

I break up the brittle decarbed leaves in a cast iron dutch oven w/ enough olive oil to cover (I seldom measure anything). Give it a stir & then:

Put it in the oven set at 190F. My oven's pretty accurate--I've I spot checked the ambient temp+that of the oil, both have always been nearly 190F. Let it go for two hours.

I always skip the lecithin---I never have any, because I don't use it in anything else & I won't buy single-purpose items.

Cool & strain through tripled up cheescloth (I don't mind the cannabits anyway).

About a teaspoon gets me pretty ripped. Mellooooooooooow high.

The oil tastes just like the weed, which is pretty durn tasty.

Easy! & nothing much to clean up, too. This technique doesn't require any added gear, double boil set up, machines, or the cleanup of all that other stuff.

For more ornate, gear-intensive (and messier) approaches check out Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

On keeping cooking simple with minimal gear:

I've known several world class chefs--all of them had very spartan gear in their kitchens.

One who studied & cooked in Italy, told me: "there's small cafes in rural Italy that turn out sublime food using only a few pans & a couple of decent knives. There's no good justification for more equipment, it's usually a poor substitute for technique." (He referred to food processors as "intestines. Nice food goes in & shit comes out.") Once when I was cooking w/ him at his home, I asked him if he had a zest knife & he handed me a paring knife & said "this & a light hand will do fine".

Another chef I knew argued against a lot of kitchen gear this way: "timing can be critical & having to rummage for the right tool works against proper timing."

I'm not that great a cook, but it's stuck w/ me.

I always opt for putting my oil and dc'd bud in a mason jar, and boil for a bit. Just makes it super easy to clean up after because I put my cheese cloth on the top of the mason jar and pour.
It's EVEN easier using a small mouth jar to start and a wide mouth to pour into. Just turn it upside down & let it rest on top and drain - walk away and smoke - put in fridge after.
Just another approach for ya!

Okay here is what I done up this run... hash, the left over material run is in the jars and the leftover hash water is wrapped up.
20180824_213915.jpg
20180825_180252.jpg
20180825_180312.jpg
still got a little water in 2 jars to get rid of.

Okay here is what I done up this run... hash, the left over material run is in the jars and the leftover hash water is wrapped up.
20180824_213915.jpg
20180825_180252.jpg
20180825_180312.jpg
still got a little water in 2 jars to get rid of.
That'll do! Nice ball ya got there.
Do you work the bubble hash by hand to bind it up good?
I normally do runs with dry ice extracted kief. I'll press it in a little silicon container until it's easier to handle, then I'll ball it up. I gotta do up a quick tutorial...
Maybe next harvest...
-P:ganjamon:

How do you bind it?
I pack as much kief as I can into my little silicon dab wax container. Set a few dictionaries on it for a day. It's ready to handle from there. I just work it in my hands with gloves on. The body heat gets it to bind up the last little bit. To get it to the consistency I like.

Well I just ducked up a jar of oil trying to make chocolates. I guess I didnt follow the recipe totally... added my vanilla and a pinch of salt and everything separated.... so it was a big mess... I then had to figure out how to fix it and messed that up too..... anyways I got it spread on parchment paper on a pan...

So after this I had to try again with regular coconut oil... re read the recipe and seemed to work better. And I poured it in the mold I got today.. see how they turn out.

Well I just ducked up a jar of oil trying to make chocolates. I guess I didnt follow the recipe totally... added my vanilla and a pinch of salt and everything separated.... so it was a big mess... I then had to figure out how to fix it and messed that up too..... anyways I got it spread on parchment paper on a pan...

So after this I had to try again with regular coconut oil... re read the recipe and seemed to work better. And I poured it in the mold I got today.. see how they turn out.
That is my understanding of coconut oils... although they are great carrier oils, they separate, so only work well in certain recipes. I plan on using coconut oil for my first try at making capsules. In a few weeks....

So I know what I done wrong... I had it still on the stove one 2-3... turns out i just needed to melt the coconut oil.... the second batch I try with regular coconut oil turned out deadly. And the molds worked good... I'll be set for next time. Now I need some more molds

That is my understanding of coconut oils... although they are great carrier oils, they separate, so only work well in certain recipes. I plan on using coconut oil for my first try at making capsules. In a few weeks....

Might not be great for capsules when they harden? Leaks and expansion #science

Just a thought! Maybe try an oil that doesn’t harden

Great tutorial on different ways to process oil and hash!

Back
Top Bottom