Cutting the balls off a Hermaphrodite

Usually the problem with that is they keep putting them out and it’s difficult to keep up, something invariably gets pollinated.

Edit: A few seeds for personal use isn’t the end of the world, nor will it hurt potency much. But you run the risk of hermie seeds.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had the pleasure of one yet, I was just curious. So hermi's are rabbit food. Got it. An that sucks about the seeds too, I'm guessing the seeds will be sterile or full of crap ass genes.
What a waste of someone's effort. Damn.
Seeds will be all female. I wouldn’t attempt to grow one of a full blown herm seeds. And yes the genetic’s would be crap. Correct again. It would be a waste of effort.

You obviously know more than me. Thank God! 🥰 Can I ask a stupid question? Do autoflowers have a preference when it comes to the size of their pot? I transferred mine into the biggest thing I found which I think it's like 2 or 3 gal? I can't help but notice everyone else has there babies in bigger ones. Should I consider getting bigger ones too? I'm used to growing roses. This is all new for me. It's been the bestest adventure ever though!!

20240129_144237.jpg

You obviously know more than me. Thank God! 🥰 Can I ask a stupid question? Do autoflowers have a preference when it comes to the size of their pot? I transferred mine into the biggest thing I found which I think it's like 2 or 3 gal? I can't help but notice everyone else has there babies in bigger ones. Should I consider getting bigger ones too? I'm used to growing roses. This is all new for me. It's been the bestest adventure ever though!!

20240129_144237.jpg
Looking nice and healthy. You’re doing a good job keep it up. Ask as many questions as possible. It’s the only way to learn. I’m a novice so can’t help much but plenty of green thumbs here with plenty of knowledge. 😊 enjoy

Seeds will be all female. I wouldn’t attempt to grow one of a full blown herm seeds. And yes the genetic’s would be crap. Correct again. It would be a waste of effort.
That’s an old false rumor that has cause a lot of bad genetics to be passed around.

If you reverse the sex of a female plant (on purpose), the pollen it makes will create all feminized seeds.

But pollen from an accidental hermaphrodite will just create more hermaphrodites.
Could you MAYBE end up with seeds that lean mostly female? Sure. But it would be too late when you found out that 99/100 leaned herm and then you continue a cycle that should have never happened.

Feed herms to the chickens. 🐓
Do it the right way, it’s worth the time every time.

That’s an old false rumor that has cause a lot of bad genetics to be passed around.

If you reverse the sex of a female plant (on purpose), the pollen it makes will create all feminized seeds.

Correct. I failed to mention the process of pollination by nanner pollen or self pollination, Rodelization or STS. It would create both male and female seeds

Yeah your plant looks Great. I had one of my plants go full sac on me.

Here’s how bushy the plant was.

ED2064D5-9243-422C-8778-306D73CE3F3A.jpeg

Now here are the sacs I found under flowers.

57E94006-4740-48A9-B949-F8AD32E7737C.jpeg
D1B0DB44-24B9-4BA6-B091-97F4460A5A6D.jpeg
D436E024-5CB4-41D2-84FE-8C3A51E450DD.jpeg

So it would be impossible to remove all the sacs. Best thing to do is bag it and burn it. ASAP
So that's what a plants balls look like.. noted. 👍
They're so little, I can see why they can be overlooked easily.

So that's what a plants balls look like.. noted. 👍
They're so little, I can see why they can be overlooked easily.

That plant has both pistils and sacs. It’s a full on Hermaphrodite. And correct they can be overlooked easily especially on a med, large size plant. I try to do a thorough look through on all my plants throughout the flower stage.

Has anyone ever cut the balls off a Hermaphrodite plant when they're 1st discovered? Before they pollinate the rest? Can it be done?
If I ever grow a hermit plant, I will cut off the balls and see if it helps preserve the girlie parts.
Just curious.
Yes. And all the time;).

If and when I start a plant from seed I also start tracking what that plant does when it become sexually mature. By the time a 'new' strain is put into the flowering tent or area I will know if it is a female or not. I will have already taken cuttings and most likely will have at least 2 or 3 growing clones from that plant.

The first 2 or 3 weeks in the flowering stage are pretty simple and I do not pay very much attention except to see how well it is stretching and to watch the early flower bud and stem development. However, sometime after the 3rd week starts and before the 4th week I will be checking all the buds in the lower canopy looking for any male flowers starting to show. Looking for the round balls which if left on the plant will soon start to open and form the 'bananas'.

After removing each and every one I can see I wait another 3 weeks and then start another very close search. If the plant has started growing a new batch of balls I will mark the plant, remove all the male flowers I can see. Then I will start to look for 'bananas' showing up in the more prime top buds. If the plant is starting to replace the male flowers as fast as I can remove them then it is time to remove the plant and any clones that came from it.

Cutting off balls or sometimes the small branches with 3 or 4 buds each with one or two balls is all it takes and the plant will not produce more. But, that is rare since I figure I am looking at an active hermaphrodite plant if it started producing at 3 weeks. It seems to be a schedule the plant grows under since I have run into the same situation several times---always following the same schedule.

Then there are the occasional female plant which will start producing a ball or banana clump at 9 or 10 or 11 weeks. That is a different situation and has not turned into any problem. Look for and remove the banana since the ball stage is often hidden inside the female flower.

So glad this doesn't happen to people... Could you imagine!? The horror!!
Actually it does happen to people. Genetics.
The ancient Greeks documented human hermaphrodites well over 5000 years (50 centuries ago). These hermaphrodites became so important to the early civilization that they included them in their religious mythology. The word hermaphrodite comes from the name of the Greek mythological god Hermes.

When the ancient Roman civilization met the Greeks and started trading and so on they also adapted the Greek myths to their early mythology. Hermes came along with a minor role for the Romans so he does not appear as often.

However, over the centuries the Romans developed the cherub god called Cupid. It very likely that Cupid is a youthful hermaphrodite and not the mature adult that Hermes was. He is often shown in paintings and sculpture as feminine looking but with male and female sexual organs. Not always but the examples are in museums and collections.

The ancient Greeks documented human hermaphrodites well over 5000 years (50 centuries ago). These hermaphrodites became so important to the early civilization that they included them in their religious mythology. The word hermaphrodite comes from the name of the Greek mythological god Hermes.

When the ancient Roman civilization met the Greeks and started trading and so on they also adapted the Greek myths to their early mythology. Hermes came along with a minor role for the Romans so he does not appear as often.

However, over the centuries the Romans developed the cherub god called Cupid. It very likely that Cupid is a youthful hermaphrodite and not the mature adult that Hermes was. He is often shown in paintings and sculpture as feminine looking but with male and female sexual organs. Not always but the examples are in museums and collections.
That's awesome, I didn't know any of that. I always thought that Hermes was a bit on the feminine side. I just figured that was the Greeks ideal image. That's cool 💖

Yes. And all the time;).

If and when I start a plant from seed I also start tracking what that plant does when it become sexually mature. By the time a 'new' strain is put into the flowering tent or area I will know if it is a female or not. I will have already taken cuttings and most likely will have at least 2 or 3 growing clones from that plant.

The first 2 or 3 weeks in the flowering stage are pretty simple and I do not pay very much attention except to see how well it is stretching and to watch the early flower bud and stem development. However, sometime after the 3rd week starts and before the 4th week I will be checking all the buds in the lower canopy looking for any male flowers starting to show. Looking for the round balls which if left on the plant will soon start to open and form the 'bananas'.

After removing each and every one I can see I wait another 3 weeks and then start another very close search. If the plant has started growing a new batch of balls I will mark the plant, remove all the male flowers I can see. Then I will start to look for 'bananas' showing up in the more prime top buds. If the plant is starting to replace the male flowers as fast as I can remove them then it is time to remove the plant and any clones that came from it.

Cutting off balls or sometimes the small branches with 3 or 4 buds each with one or two balls is all it takes and the plant will not produce more. But, that is rare since I figure I am looking at an active hermaphrodite plant if it started producing at 3 weeks. It seems to be a schedule the plant grows under since I have run into the same situation several times---always following the same schedule.

Then there are the occasional female plant which will start producing a ball or banana clump at 9 or 10 or 11 weeks. That is a different situation and has not turned into any problem. Look for and remove the banana since the ball stage is often hidden inside the female flower.

I was curious if they continued producing sacs and nanners. I typically grow 10 to 15 plants at a time. So I don’t want to have to deal with picking off sacs and nanners. I’d rather trash it and be done with the headache.

I was curious if they continued producing sacs and nanners. I typically grow 10 to 15 plants at a time. So I don’t want to have to deal with picking off sacs and nanners. I’d rather trash it and be done with the headache.
More often than not, yes, if I find them a lot of them around the 3rd week of flowering then they will be back.

With a grow like that it probably is best to remove any plants that show a lot of male flowers early on.

Back
Top Bottom