Dankmansmokin growin Dank to smoke! First Grow

dankmansmokin

Hey guys, Ive been on the site for a lil while now and every one has been saying "make a grow journal dude" and they said if i didnt they would kill me. lol not really. Everyone has been extra nice with giving me pointers, answering questions with ease, and just overall helping when needed. All is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok so im new to this so bear with me.

I started my first grow not too long ago maybe a month or two back and have been recieving great help from alot of people. They told me if i make a journal, even more people would help and give opinions. so Here it GROWS!

Materials:

(I know this is not a super setup but hey its my first time)

Closet space about 5' across maybe about 3' deep and 6' high

Regular Miracle Grow found at any walmart or garden store

Burpee seed starter kit that self waters (for the lazy man) lol

1- 2' florecent light that holds 2 18w T8 bulbs

1- 100w regular screw in compact florecent bulb

3- Space blankets (cuz i kept runnin out of alluminum foil)

A small box fan

2- 3.5 gallon pots

2- 18w florecent bulbs ( i started wit cool white then took a risk and tried these bulbs i found that say they are for underwater aquarium plant growth. They have been working exceptionally well)

Im a lil ways into my grow so i will be sure to put some pics i took from the start to catch you up to speed. Also if you would like, check out my thread ive got growing in frequently asked questions under" New to this grow, where ever are the green thumbs".
Well if there is any questions or comments for me i would love to reply.
:thanks::thanks::Rasta::thanks::thanks:

ps. I need some friends on the site so be sure to add me. I swear im not crazy lol

rsz_new_sprouts.jpg

32.JPEG

New_pot.JPEG

setup.JPEG

newest.JPEG

new_1.JPEG

new_3.JPEG

new_2.JPEG

Dankmansmokin,

Keep up the great work. Are you only using fluoro's? If you can get yourself a 400watt HPS the plants will explode out of the ground. It looks like you may be ready to repot into bigger pots as well. How much height do you have in your cupboard?

Thanks Dg. yes im only using flouros rite now just cuz im worried about the heat. I live in an apt. so i cant really cut holes to vent out. Other than that i would love to have one. If you have any solutions let me know, it cant hurt to try. i know about the pots, i went out and bought the 3.5 gallon pots and that same day someone told me i should have got the tall 5 gallon pots. You live and learn i guess. Ive got about six feet in height to work with. when someone told me during the flowering stage they mite double or tripple in size i went ahead and started the budding cycle in fear of not having enough space. sometimes i feel i should have let them grow a lil longer but its ok.
Why do you ask of the space?

The space question is relative to teh heat a 400watt puts out. Plus with flowering the plants stretch about 2/3rds more than when in veg. If you get a 400 or even a 250 hps I would switch to 12/12 when you have 5 true sets of leaves on each plant. By the looks of your pics you already have 1 ready to go.

And thumbs up for learning and asking questions. The knowledge on this site from everyone is just phenominal. There is a member Ms. Fox who is the grow guru, ask her about her thoughts on the HPS as I think she uses a fairly sophisticated combo of Fluoro and HPS so she will know heaps about it.

Good luck and will keep an eye on your progress. I am using 1000watt HPS at the moment and you should see the growth!! I dont have aheight or heat issue as it is freezing cold here in Melbourne Australia.

See ya

that makes since. I will be sure to askk foxy lady wassup. i started to look at some hps bulbs at the hardware store and im not gonna lie, at that moment the bulb and ficture was out of my price range. But now i think ima take a better look. plus i was worried i would need at least a 220 volt electric source. But if they hav some i can rig off of 110v i will be sure to do that. Thanks bro

miracle grow is no good for growing cannabis. I always use promix or any other soil that doesnt have fertilizer in it. Miracle grow will burn your plants, although Ive seen some ppl be successful with it, but most result with problems. this is most likely the problem you are running into, looks like your plant is starting to have nute burn. Also be sure you are checking the ph of the water you are using to feed the plants. Homedepot sells a generic soil called supersoil. mix this with vermiculite and perlite in 1/3 portions.

Dank,

It might be time as well as backing of the nutrients to repot? Also, maybe if you can check your PH when you repot. 6.3 is what you want. I have used Miracle grow before and it is OK as long as you have large enough pots and don't get too heavy handed with the mixture. The leaf is nothing to worry about as everything in nature is not perfect and it is only the 2nd set of leaves. I once had a plant that actually grew buds on some of the leaves!! Just a genetic abberation, that's all..

ok i can do that. i cant check the ph of my my soil cuz i dont have a test or really dont know how. However i did check the ph of the water ive been using to water them. it was a firm 7.6 and if im not mistaken thats too high? what should i do? the only thing i thought of is...when i used to have to mantain a lower ph in my fish tank i would buy these water soluble tablets that dropped or raised ph (depending on what you needed) Would this be a safe way to go about or is there an easier way i am over looking. let me know and i can take care of it today. Also, should i go ahead and put it in a 5 gallon pot so i dont have to keep transplanting from pot to pot. fill free to explain to me about testing my soil or what i may need to test my soil and i will make it happen. Thanks for all the help!

I'm more in clined to agree with this gentlemen

Dank,It might be time as well as backing of the nutrients to repot? Also, maybe if you can check your PH when you repot. 6.3 is what you want. I have used Miracle grow before and it is OK as long as you have large enough pots and don't get too heavy handed with the mixture. The leaf is nothing to worry about as everything in nature is not perfect and it is only the 2nd set of leaves. I once had a plant that actually grew buds on some of the leaves!! Just a genetic abberation, that's all..

I agree, miracle grow isn't specifically formulated for cannabis (Ms. Fox I think we can agree on this point lol), but can be used to successfully grow. I've seen the potting soil used for outdoor and worked cool (and I'll keep saying this) I 've used the fertilizer b4 and it worked fine until I altered the mixing ratio and burned the plants. 6.3 is within the desired PH range for cannabis. The yellow spots can be a few things. I want to see how or if it progresses. One more thing, that foil should be replaced with a more efficient reflective material. I've been told that its a poential fire hazard as well as its not that good a redirecting light. I got a link about it, when I find it I'll post it. Congrats on starting the grow, I'm onboard.

ok i can do that. i cant check the ph of my my soil cuz i dont have a test or really dont know how. However i did check the ph of the water ive been using to water them. it was a firm 7.6 and if im not mistaken thats too high? what should i do? the only thing i thought of is...when i used to have to mantain a lower ph in my fish tank i would buy these water soluble tablets that dropped or raised ph (depending on what you needed) Would this be a safe way to go about or is there an easier way i am over looking. let me know and i can take care of it today. Also, should i go ahead and put it in a 5 gallon pot so i dont have to keep transplanting from pot to pot. fill free to explain to me about testing my soil or what i may need to test my soil and i will make it happen. Thanks for all the help!

You can get ph up and down from a hydro shop. It's in liquid form, and you add it to your nute solution to adjust your ph between 6.3 and 6.5. What kind of water are you using? I prefer to use distilled or R/O water. There are things in tap water that will not evaporate and can cause problems for your grow. You do not need to adjust plain water ph. You should adjust the ph of your solution after you add nutes. You could transplant into the 5 gallon pots. I prefer to transplant 2 times during the grow. You must be trying to grow some indoor monsters! 1 gallon of soil per ft of plant.

damn i wish i would have read that b4 i went to the hardware store. i just got a 5 gallon bucket some vermiculite, perlite and some regular plain jane soil. i made the mix just like you guys said. i also picked up an low wattage hps to go with my flouros. i started to look at the 400s and decided that was too much for me and my space. i got it all set up last nite and seems to be doing fine but we shall see. i picked up a soil ph, nitro, phos, potas, test. still reading about how to use it but i will be sure to let you guys know how it goes. thanks

Dank,

I think from what you have gotten from the hardware store you should be just fine. Make sure you can get some pics up as soon as possible of how it all looks. That way we can all enjoy your work!!

thanks, but i do have a couple of important questions to ask... Today i went to the hydroponic store and got everything you can think of.
i got:
1- 5 gallon bucket with 6" basket pot lid
set of nutes for veg stage and flowering stage
15- rock wool cubes
1-airstone and tubing
1-air pump
ph down
bag of hydro stones
my question is..is it too late to but my plant in this setup? I figured i could wash all the soil off the roots and cut a rock wool cube just enough to put the plant in it.then basically start from there. Do you think that it would put to much stress on the plant? or is there an easier way to do it? im really eager to get the ball rollin with the new equipment. i have started to germinate a new seed in a rock wool cube today so if i cant put my already grown plant in it..i can wait for the new one to sprout. anyways let me know asap and i will get it done.thanks
(by grown plant i mean my still pretty small plant)

Dank,

As you already have repotted, I would leave it as it is now.

I have never done a repot then a repot again into hydro. I read here that a guy called Pan4gold420 has done it with some success, but I would be cautious. You have got some seeds going in rockwool, so you may be able to have a soil and a hydro grow going at the same time!! Awesome that you are taking to growing with such enthusiasm.

Back
Top Bottom