Dano's Third Grow Journal: Coco, Autos And Another New Tent Build

Last year I was considering Quadlining for my next grow but with a real short uncontrollable veg period on these autos I thought it may stunt the growth and reduce the yield by not having enough time to recuperate before they flip. So I will be doing LST for these autos. I would like 3 smaller plants with a total anticipated yield of about 5 to 6 oz. (140 - 170 gr).

My next grow is scheduled when it gets cooler here (around October). It's just too hot here from July through September to keep temps in the tent down. It may be different this time since I will be using the new LED boards that allow me to put the driver outside of the tent. I am also putting the exhaust out the window. Something I couldn't do last time. Plus I am installing the AC Infinity T4 with some controllers to help keep temps and humidity under control.

I will plant some photoperiods and do Quadlining with 2 plants next time and work towards a larger yield. When that will happen be depends on how this grow works for temp and humidity.
Have a Smokey Day. :rollit:

Hiya Dano, I keep my herms! I don't care about seeds. Due to the jungly nature of the pot condo, I often miss them till they are somewhat developed, so I pinch all the nutsacks I can find and make sure it's in the least air circulating area of the room. Honestly I often have them living in the same room with other plants and very rarely do I have much cross pollination, even with fan running. A bean here and there in the neighbors at the most.

Thanks for the tag, I've been astray, I need to get back to 420mag and reonnect to my alma mater. I have been threatening myself to buy some coco to mess around with, but soil is so damn easy! I also have a fair amount of auto's I've never tried...you'll nail it and make me want to give a go! CHeers mate, gl with the grow! :yahoo:

Hiya Dano, I keep my herms! I don't care about seeds. Due to the jungly nature of the pot condo, I often miss them till they are somewhat developed, so I pinch all the nutsacks I can find and make sure it's in the least air circulating area of the room. Honestly I often have them living in the same room with other plants and very rarely do I have much cross pollination, even with fan running. A bean here and there in the neighbors at the most.

Thanks for the tag, I've been astray, I need to get back to 420mag and reonnect to my alma mater. I have been threatening myself to buy some coco to mess around with, but soil is so damn easy! I also have a fair amount of auto's I've never tried...you'll nail it and make me want to give a go! CHeers mate, gl with the grow! :yahoo:
Hey Pbass. Welcome. Good to hear from you.

Herms will occasionally happen. I wish I had seen it earlier though. Lesson learned. The Kosher Kush hermie got airy on 75% of the buds from halting it's "growth" once it got pollenated. I couldn't figure out why my trics would not change for nearly two weeks. The pods were in the very back so I couldn't see them until I was trimming. Because of the low density a lot of the buds dried too quickly. I decided to use a lot of the Kush for kief. I got several really good seeds out of the deal and I got 1.3 oz. of kief. Not sure how much flower that would have been but probably 8 oz. The Kosher Kush strain is sometimes really hard to come by so the seeds may be good to have. I really think it was stress related but the fear of a genetic issue keeps me from planting the seeds.

My Cinderella 99 was mostly unaffected. At least I haven't found any seeds yet. I still have some lower grade C99 left. One thing I noticed on the C99. About half way through the flower cycle I got a really nice strawberry smell. It suddenly halted about two weeks before harvest. So I think it got some pollination.

IMG-1080.jpg

IMG-1082.jpg

Got the Gorilla 2 x 4 tent last night. The box was in bad condition. UPS again. Not sure if anything is missing or damaged. I may not get to building the setup until next week due to 3 major photoshoots starting later today plus Easter. One of my jobs will take about 20 hours of work but it will pay well.

Tent 2.jpg

I'm still waiting for the AC Infinity T4. I ordered direct from AC Infinity since they are fairly local. The shipping label was created two days ago but it has not yet shipped. The ship from location is only 100 miles from me so I was expecting it today.

Happy Smoking. :rollit:

So why are we not topping these autos for better spread and yield?

You know I’m the auto-whisperer, right?
I was waiting for your input. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm not against topping as you know. I don't know autos and thought the short veg time might not support topping. I guess I could be wrong.

I was waiting for your input. :cheesygrinsmiley: I'm not against topping as you know. I don't know autos and thought the short veg time might not support topping. I guess I could be wrong.

Never met an auto I haven’t topped. :slide:

There is a trick to it. Gotta top by day 21. If you can’t, bend her over for lst and lead her around the outside of the pot.

Also give her a little trim and prune every other day starting about a week later.

Run em 18/6 all the way through and feed em from the git go.

I can go into it more, but have posted it all pretty good several times. I can message you more info and we can discuss if you would like.

Genetically good autos today have very few differences in growing.

Obviously they flower on their own, and you don’t cut the lights back.

If topping, gotta be by day 21.

Nutes you try to keep ahead of the game just a tick, as you’ll see on some feed schedules.

Other than that, I treat them pretty much the same. Top, defol, prune wieldy branches, etc.

How you get them bigger than typical is light defoliation/pruning every 2-3 days, starting about a week after topping or before if needed.

Hey fellow growers:

After a 4 day marathon of photography I have a little time to catch up on the journal. At least until tomorrow when I will be out most of the day on another shoot.

Looks like I received everything on my need to buy list and still working on the want to buy items. Thin line there determining what is needed and what is wanted.

Set up:

Tent:
Gorilla 2 x 4 tent with extensions to give me 7' 11" of total height. I have had issues with tall plants and heat and want some assurance this time. I still have the 4 x 4 but no room and I think I can get the yield I'm looking for in the 2 x 4.

Lights: I will be using both Q boards I got from @Budget LED last year. I'm going to convert the mixed Red plus Full Spec back to all Full Spec on one board and all Red on the other. I'll use the Full Spec during the Veg stage and switch to Red for flower. Any comments are welcome here @multiVortex and @Budget LED who both have experience with these boards.

Ventilation: AC Infinity Cloudline T4 with the AC Infinity 4" Filter. I still have the 6" iPower and Filter but thought that was overkill and also wanted a quieter system. Last grow I was restricted on my vent output location and had to have the exhaust go back into the main room. Temps got too high. I will be running the exhaust through an AC vent window kit. I will also hook up a humidifier to the controller or may get the Inkbird controller. I am also looking at a reptile aquarium humidifier that I can port into the tent so not to affect the main room I'm drawing cool air from..

inkbird controller.jpg
61S886lMdzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Strains and Medium: No change to the plan on the medium. Still staying with Coco and planting the three Autos in 3 Gal pots. As for watering, I may just water manually but if I get another job that keeps me gone for 12 hours straight I might want to look at an auto water system. Nothing fancy just to water a couple times a day if I'm gone.

Nutrients: This is where I am open to some suggestions. I used Jack's 321 on the DWC and it would have been great to use it again with this grow but as I mentioned it got ruined.

I will have a few more things to add later I'm sure.

Happy Growing. :rollit:

Dano

Hey fellow growers:

After a 4 day marathon of photography I have a little time to catch up on the journal. At least until tomorrow when I will be out most of the day on another shoot.

Looks like I received everything on my need to buy list and still working on the want to buy items. Thin line there determining what is needed and what is wanted.

Set up:

Tent:
Gorilla 2 x 4 tent with extensions to give me 7' 11" of total height. I have had issues with tall plants and heat and want some assurance this time. I still have the 4 x 4 but no room and I think I can get the yield I'm looking for in the 2 x 4.

Lights: I will be using both Q boards I got from @Budget LED last year. I'm going to convert the mixed Red plus Full Spec back to all Full Spec on one board and all Red on the other. I'll use the Full Spec during the Veg stage and switch to Red for flower. Any comments are welcome here @multiVortex and @Budget LED who both have experience with these boards.

Ventilation: AC Infinity Cloudline T4 with the AC Infinity 4" Filter. I still have the 6" iPower and Filter but thought that was overkill and also wanted a quieter system. Last grow I was restricted on my vent output location and had to have the exhaust go back into the main room. Temps got too high. I will be running the exhaust through an AC vent window kit. I will also hook up a humidifier to the controller or may get the Inkbird controller. I am also looking at a reptile aquarium humidifier that I can port into the tent so not to affect the main room I'm drawing cool air from..

inkbird controller.jpg
61S886lMdzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Strains and Medium: No change to the plan on the medium. Still staying with Coco and planting the three Autos in 3 Gal pots. As for watering, I may just water manually but if I get another job that keeps me gone for 12 hours straight I might want to look at an auto water system. Nothing fancy just to water a couple times a day if I'm gone.

Nutrients: This is where I am open to some suggestions. I used Jack's 321 on the DWC and it would have been great to use it again with this grow but as I mentioned it got ruined.

I will have a few more things to add later I'm sure.

Happy Growing. :rollit:

Dano
Have you tried our sponsor @GeoFlora Nutrients?

They seem to be taking the forum by storm, everyone is loving the easy process, price and results.

You can ask @Justin Goody for feedback, as well as many others.

Lookin good in the neighborhood D!

On a 2x4 I’ll run a 250w @Budget LED panel, and I like to supplement flower with a G8 bloom puck for about a 90w kick in the 660nm+ range.

Only word of caution I can see is 3 in a 2x4 “could” be an issue. I know if I get outside allowing 2sqft/plant I get crowded. Especially topping/training.

Just keep an eye out, and with the extra height available maybe not let them go out so far and maybe up a hair earlier. Just be sure to keep the water leaves thinned out to get light down into the plant.

The biggest thing with coco that a lot of people don’t realize from the jump is it’s hydro. Passive, but hydro. So basically what you’re used to with pH, but will probably need a little calmag kick, plus you’ll need to keep it moist. Don’t let it dry out like promix or soil. That will bend you over right quick.

Granted you know this, or did at one time, but always good to make sure and get a strong start.

Lookin good in the neighborhood D!

On a 2x4 I’ll run a 250w @Budget LED panel, and I like to supplement flower with a G8 bloom puck for about a 90w kick in the 660nm+ range.

Only word of caution I can see is 3 in a 2x4 “could” be an issue. I know if I get outside allowing 2sqft/plant I get crowded. Especially topping/training.

Just keep an eye out, and with the extra height available maybe not let them go out so far and maybe up a hair earlier. Just be sure to keep the water leaves thinned out to get light down into the plant.

The biggest thing with coco that a lot of people don’t realize from the jump is it’s hydro. Passive, but hydro. So basically what you’re used to with pH, but will probably need a little calmag kick, plus you’ll need to keep it moist. Don’t let it dry out like promix or soil. That will bend you over right quick.

Granted you know this, or did at one time, but always good to make sure and get a strong start.
Thanks mV. I am considering cutting it back to 2 plants. I figured Coco would be a good change since I am familiar with DWC from my previous grows. Good tip about the water leaves since with constant hydro feeding some aren't necessary.

I have the two 250W boards I was going to use for the 4 x 4. I'm going to use one Full Spec 250W board for Veg but change to the Red Spec 250W board during flower. At least that's the current plan.

You have a solid plan and feel free to tag me in with any questions.

Another nutrient to consider is Foop. I personally use it and love it for simplicity. It is organic so another + and price wise competitive. The only additional additive I use is slf-100 with the occasional recharge. Just my two cents.

You have a solid plan and feel free to tag me in with any questions.

Another nutrient to consider is Foop. I personally use it and love it for simplicity. It is organic so another + and price wise competitive. The only additional additive I use is slf-100 with the occasional recharge. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the input. Always appreciated.

Hey all,

Looks like I was fortunate to be selected for 420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow with @Weed Seeds Express using @Budget LED Full Spec and Red Spec 250 Watt Grow Lights so I will be starting a new journal shortly and this one will be discontinued. I want to thank @420 for considering me. This should be fun.

Please look for the new grow journal in the next few days.

Thanks for all of your support. See you shortly. :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom