Dano's Third Grow Journal: Coco, Autos And Another New Tent Build

Brett Blaze

Hello Fellow Growers.

It's been a year since I finished my last grow and although I disappeared for awhile I felt it was time to return and do another journal. I was heartbroken at the end of my last grow (Dano's Second Grow) when I found out my Kush turned out to be a Hermie. My best guess, if not genetic, it was due to being too close to the lights which was discussed in the journal. Even with a less than stellar harvest I still ended up with:

Sativa 5.45 oz. total with 2.1 lower grade.
Indica 1.9 oz. The Indica was mostly lower grade but it still kicked ass.
Kief from the Indica - 1.3 oz.

7.35 oz. of flower and 1.3 ounces of Kief.

After a year I still have most of the lower grade remaining (over 2 ounces) and 1/4 oz. of Sativa A grade. Plus all the Kief. So I met my goal to produce enough to last a year. I was estimating 12 oz. would be needed but really it's closer to 6. Regardless it's time to grow again.

So much has happened over the last year (as with most people). I was laid off last Spring due to COVID and ended up moving and downsizing the house. That meant breaking down the last grow room. Just to throw out a comment here: I now do what I love doing which is photography. I don't make as much money but I can get by and love what I'm doing. I'm in my 60's so this is more like semi-retirement.

On to the build.

So with downsizing the house it means reducing the size of the grow area. With my last system I required a 8.5' x 5' Footprint to accommodate the 4 x 4 tent and equipment to support the 4 bucket DWC system. Around 43 sq. ft. Please review my last build for details. Second Grow With New 4x4 Indoor Tent Build. This time I will be setting up a 2' x 4' x 7' 11 Gorilla tent. Adding a foot of height. (My 4' x4' Gorilla is for sale). To further reduce the footprint I am changing to Coco and three 3 gal pots. Since I have a lot of Hydro Nutes left, I felt switching to Coco was a better choice than soil for this grow. I will need a small space for a reservoir but I estimate the total sq. ft. to be less than 15 sq. ft. (28 sq. ft. less)

For those who followed me on my last build you'll remember there was some discussion regarding heat issues. I live in the desert so heat is always an issue. With this build I hope to run the exhaust out to the garage which was the major cause of the problem. Plus I am going to run the Series 2+ 250 Watt Dimmable Grow Lights from @Budget LED instead of the Mars Hydro Mars Pro II Cree 128s. I had these custom made last year for the 4 x 4 by putting one Full Spec and one Red Spec board per heat sink panel using two panels. I will use just one for the 2 x 4 tent. The ballast will also be placed outside of the tent to further reduce heat.

I ordered the 2' x 4' Gorilla tent a few days ago and expect it to arrive early next week. I should have everything I need from my previous builds (famous last words) but I need to search through several containers in the garage. Because I moved, a lot of stuff is spread around the garage in different plastic containers.

This grow I am going to include three Autos. I tried to match characteristics while focusing on red and purple flowers.

Red Poison Auto Fem

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 60 - 120 cm (Average 35")
Yield 37-51gr/sq. ft.
Indica-Sativa hybrid

Harvest Month 8 weeks after germination
Sweet-Seeds-Red-Posion-2013-1.jpg

Dark Devil Auto Fem

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 80 - 130cm (Average 41")

Yield Indoors: 43-64 gr/sq. ft.
Indica-Sativa hybrid
Harvest Month 8½ weeks after germination

Sweet-Seeds-Dark-Devil-2013-11.jpg

Black Cream Auto Fem​

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 60 - 110cm (Average 33.5")

Yield Indoors: 37-59 gr/sq. ft.
Indica

Sweet-Seeds-Black-Cream-2013-11.jpg

Updates coming soon and Happy Smoking. :passitleft:

I received tracking information on the tent. It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I'll spend Wednesday doing some setup but will probably need to finish up the following week. I have a big photoshoot on April 1st that will take up my time into the weekend.

I need to start searching the garage for everything I need. I know where 90% is but I'm missing one important container. It's warming up this week with temps into the upper 90's so I only have the mornings to search. Should get back to low 80's the following week. I went with autos this time so I could get a harvest before the summer where temps are too high to grow without spending a fortune on AC. I'm targeting an April 20th germination with harvest towards the end of June.

First thing I need to do is test the LEDs. After purchasing them last year I never took them out of the box. As I mentioned I have two "standard" heat sinks with one Red Spec and one Full Spec on each heatsink. I'm thinking of swapping the LED panels so they have two Reds and two Full on each panel. I'll start with the Full spec then swap the light to Red spec once they start to flower. Or since they are only 10" wide I could fit both in the tent but that may be over kill.

Quick look at the LEDs.

The box was pretty beaten up but that was pretty much the case when it arrived. The LED panels and drivers were packed really well inside and everything appears to be ok. I guess Fragile stickers don't mean much to some shippers.

LEDs 3.jpg

I have extra length cables from the heat sink so I can mount the driver(s) outside the tent.

LEDs 1.jpg

Mixed with Red Spec and Full Spec on each board. Swapping LED panels is easy if it's needed. I haven't decided yet.

LEDs 2.jpg

Hello Fellow Growers.

It's been a year since I finished my last grow and although I disappeared for awhile I felt it was time to return and do another journal. I was heartbroken at the end of my last grow (Dano's Second Grow) when I found out my Kush turned out to be a Hermie. My best guess, if not genetic, it was due to being too close to the lights which was discussed in the journal. Even with a less than stellar harvest I still ended up with:

Sativa 5.45 oz. total with 2.1 lower grade.
Indica 1.9 oz. The Indica was mostly lower grade but it still kicked ass.
Kief from the Indica - 1.3 oz.

7.35 oz. of flower and 1.3 ounces of Kief.

After a year I still have most of the lower grade remaining (over 2 ounces) and 1/4 oz. of Sativa A grade. Plus all the Kief. So I met my goal to produce enough to last a year. I was estimating 12 oz. would be needed but really it's closer to 6. Regardless it's time to grow again.

So much has happened over the last year (as with most people). I was laid off last Spring due to COVID and ended up moving and downsizing the house. That meant breaking down the last grow room. Just to throw out a comment here: I now do what I love doing which is photography. I don't make as much money but I can get by and love what I'm doing. I'm in my 60's so this is more like semi-retirement.

On to the build.

So with downsizing the house it means reducing the size of the grow area. With my last system I required a 8.5' x 5' Footprint to accommodate the 4 x 4 tent and equipment to support the 4 bucket DWC system. Around 43 sq. ft. Please review my last build for details. Second Grow With New 4x4 Indoor Tent Build. This time I will be setting up a 2' x 4' x 7' 11 Gorilla tent. Adding a foot of height. (My 4' x4' Gorilla is for sale). To further reduce the footprint I am changing to Coco and three 3 gal pots. Since I have a lot of Hydro Nutes left, I felt switching to Coco was a better choice than soil for this grow. I will need a small space for a reservoir but I estimate the total sq. ft. to be less than 15 sq. ft. (28 sq. ft. less)

For those who followed me on my last build you'll remember there was some discussion regarding heat issues. I live in the desert so heat is always an issue. With this build I hope to run the exhaust out to the garage which was the major cause of the problem. Plus I am going to run the Series 2+ 250 Watt Dimmable Grow Lights from @Budget LED instead of the Mars Hydro Mars Pro II Cree 128s. I had these custom made last year for the 4 x 4 by putting one Full Spec and one Red Spec board per heat sink panel using two panels. I will use just one for the 2 x 4 tent. The ballast will also be placed outside of the tent to further reduce heat.

I ordered the 2' x 4' Gorilla tent a few days ago and expect it to arrive early next week. I should have everything I need from my previous builds (famous last words) but I need to search through several containers in the garage. Because I moved, a lot of stuff is spread around the garage in different plastic containers.

This grow I am going to include three Autos. I tried to match characteristics while focusing on red and purple flowers.

Red Poison Auto Fem

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 60 - 120 cm (Average 35")
Yield 37-51gr/sq. ft.
Indica-Sativa hybrid

Sweet-Seeds-Red-Posion-2013-1.jpg

Dark Devil Auto Fem

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 80 - 130cm (Average 41")

Yield Indoors: 43-64 gr/sq. ft.
Indica-Sativa hybrid
Harvest Month 8½ weeks after germination

Sweet-Seeds-Dark-Devil-2013-11.jpg

Black Cream Auto Fem​

Seedbank Sweet Seeds
Sex Feminized
Plant Height 60 - 110cm (Average 33.5")

Yield Indoors: 37-59 gr/sq. ft.
Indica

Sweet-Seeds-Black-Cream-2013-11.jpg

Updates coming soon and Happy Smoking. :passitleft:
nice start to the journal Danone. Will tag along for the ride. get fhe cal mag handy for the coco/led leeching too. All set and nice genetics too. Good luck buddy.

nice start to the journal Danone. Will tag along for the ride. get fhe cal mag handy for the coco/led leeching too. All set and nice genetics too. Good luck buddy.
Thanks for following. I have a brand new bottle of CalMag ready.

The gorilla girls and cheese xl from sweet seeds were good for me. 2 of them have now been my most beautiful plants of a 25 year growing career!. turned out red and deadly.
20210301_144615.jpg
20210301_144529.jpg

Good genetics over at sweet seeds.
Nice looking plants. What medium did you use for those? I have read that organic soil may give the best color. I want to use Coco on this grow because I have a ton of nutes left over from the DWC grows.

I am reading through some of your posts to take advantage of your experience. My first grow was in 1982 but there was a huge gap when I was able to start growing again when the laws changed here in 1986. It wasn't worth the risk. I basically started over again when I continued a few years ago.

Going to place some orders today so I can start early next week. I am planning a Coco medium but I am open to suggestions for these 3 Autos.

Going to send out a few invites to get this going.

Welcome @Usherwood @420BudzFreak @multiVortex @Mushie1005 @Lungren @60's Old Timer @SlyTown420 @Northern Hydro @Silverfox125 @Pbass @gr865 @bluter @Opar.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.
What strains do you plan of picking up.
Good luck on your coco grow.
Any questions just ask.

GR

What strains do you plan of picking up.
Good luck on your coco grow.
Any questions just ask.

GR
Welcome gr865 and thanks for the offer. I will be planting 3 Autos from Sweet Seeds. Red Poison, Dark Devil and Black Cream. All Fem Autos with quick grow times. This will be my first Coco grow. My last two were DWC.

Here is my current Inventory of seeds. I went with the 3 Autos to get a quick grow in before the summer heat starts. I think my next grow will include the King Tut and the Purple Queen.

seeds.jpg

Sweet Seeds:
(4) - Dark Devil Auto Fem, (4) - Red Poison Auto Fem, (4) - Black Cream Auto Fem

Royal Queen:
(3) - Purple Queen Fem

Oasis:
(8) - Lemon Drop Auto

Canuk:
(3) - King Tut Fem, (1) - Cheese Auto Fem, (1) - Blueberry Fem

DNA Genetics:
(2) - Kosher Kush

BC Bud Depot:
(8) - Cinderella 99

Nutes:

For my last grow I used Jack's 321 and was really happy with it. I had tremendous growth and I have a lot left. The chart below is based on a photoperiod of 14 weeks with flipping starting on week 6. My guess with these Autos is Veg will be only 2 to 3 weeks with 6 to 7 weeks of flower. The only thing I added was some Flying Skull 1&2 and Hydroguard. I have some CalMag available if needed.

I would appreciate if some experienced Auto growers can comment on what you have seen for cycles times.

IMG-0977.jpg

Ok so the Jack's 321 may be out or at least I will be looking at other nute alternatives. I thought I stored this in my house but found it in the garage. It doesn't react well to heat.

Plus since I have no Hydro nutes left I am open to other mediums.

Hey D.

I’m about to drop 4 girls in coco myself. Have been doing some straight perlite runs in one of the 4x4’s (with dutch buckets, recirculating), but kinda over rinsing 16gal of perlite each run.

Also have put together a new rdwc. Well, 2 actually. I have a single site and a 4 site. Uses an overflow on the bucket going to the res, and fixes that “hump” crap. Also keeps water level constant in the main buckets. Testing the single site at the moment, and it’s killing it.

Not around here much, but will check in on occasion.

Hey D.

I’m about to drop 4 girls in coco myself. Have been doing some straight perlite runs in one of the 4x4’s (with dutch buckets, recirculating), but kinda over rinsing 16gal of perlite each run.

Also have put together a new rdwc. Well, 2 actually. I have a single site and a 4 site. Uses an overflow on the bucket going to the res, and fixes that “hump” crap. Also keeps water level constant in the main buckets. Testing the single site at the moment, and it’s killing it.

Not around here much, but will check in on occasion.
Hey mV. Good to hear from you. Until this week I haven't been on for a year. This will be my first coco grow and my first autos. I don't like doing things easy.

Going to place some orders today so I can start early next week. I am planning a Coco medium but I am open to suggestions for these 3 Autos.

Going to send out a few invites to get this going.

Welcome @Usherwood @420BudzFreak @multiVortex @Mushie1005 @Lungren @60's Old Timer @SlyTown420 @Northern Hydro @Silverfox125 @Pbass @gr865 @bluter @Opar.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Simikar to my return after a 10 year gap. So muchbjad changed and been developed. No more laughing at blurple L.e.d trying to compete with my "Gold standard" 1200w(2×600w) Hps cool tubes and my vintage NFT system looked like a ancient Roman archeological find. Seeing the advances in the tech and nutes was a welcome shock and being able to actually choose seeds from so many places and strains was like being at willy wonkas chocolate factory.lol
can't beat a nice coco grow. I mix it with living organic soil to give the autos a nice loose medium for those active roots to run. Has been working well so far this run but I do then have to use a feed ( megacrop for the win!! )during flowering to meet the greed . My los struggles to keep up .
Some great new methods in lst training for yield and quadlining is my go to for yield normally. A great method for smaller plants that produce big colas. Thread here is worth a peek on the method.

Back
Top Bottom