Dark Devil Auto: A Community Grow Record

Good looking plants, everyone -- I love this strain!

And the older my own girl gets, the more I love her, too :love:

Here's an update: she's at day 50 now, purple sugar leaves and all ...

IMG_66248.JPG
IMG_66258.JPG
IMG_662611.JPG

She is super smelly -- I can pick her out among the smells of the other two plants in the tent with her. Powerful. Intoxicating. I CANNOT WAIT TO SMOKE HER!

:)

May all your gardens be green (and purple) :)

I think purple is my new favorite color...

Here is my girl at day 71.

DSC_3353.JPG

DSC_3359.JPG

DSC_3344.JPG

DSC_3355.JPG

Not the best pic but even some of the trichomes are purple :)

Screenshot_2016-01-13-23-10-16.png

I'm planting one when I get home and running the lights 20/4. I'm hoping I can get mine to look as good as all the rest. Mine grown in the tent never came up to their potential and I'm sure it was lighting. I have yet to grow one under proper lighting.

Watch out guys. Three weeks to go and I'm back at it. :slide:

" I CANNOT WAIT TO SMOKE HER!"

Patience grasshopper!! I think I never made it to a proper cure the first 3-4 times I grew this one. By a proper cure I'm talking 4-6 weeks is my normal cure time - these made it MAYBE 2 weeks. I just run 3-4 plants at a time now so I have enough on hand to cure the current round. Waiting is worth it 100% ... it's good fresh but the taste after a proper cure is SA-weet and pungent pairs very well with a good bottle of red wine too if ya like wine I would highly suggest this with a glass or 3.

I'll post some pics of mine tonight .....

Mine will have been curing almost two months when I get home next month. SA-weet indeed! :laughtwo:

Smokability aside, it's a beautiful plant. Picture a whole line of those bordering a walkway. It'd look awesome!

Still waiting for my seed order to go through. Still planning to do an outdoor grow. Considering biting the bullet and growing a couple of them indoors, just so I have a better chance of harvesting. It just looks too tasty to miss out on any longer than absolutely necessary.

I second this idea. It's an auto. I grow my autos in a closet with no door. I'll have to add a curtain because of the LED, but initially they're under CFLs, so I can leave it open and admire.

Good looking plants, everyone -- I love this strain!

And the older my own girl gets, the more I love her, too :love:

Here's an update: she's at day 50 now, purple sugar leaves and all ...

IMG_66248.JPG
IMG_66258.JPG
IMG_662611.JPG

She is super smelly -- I can pick her out among the smells of the other two plants in the tent with her. Powerful. Intoxicating. I CANNOT WAIT TO SMOKE HER!

:)

May all your gardens be green (and purple) :)

You're hooked girl. :rofl: she's going to get so thick and frosty you're going to be shocked. :woohoo:

Smokability aside, it's a beautiful plant. Picture a whole line of those bordering a walkway. It'd look awesome!

Still waiting for my seed order to go through. Still planning to do an outdoor grow. Considering biting the bullet and growing a couple of them indoors, just so I have a better chance of harvesting. It just looks too tasty to miss out on any longer than absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I keep thinking about landscaping with this plant. Kinky, eh? :) Sure, grow a few indoors -- why not? They are so beautiful. But I am SO excited to see what you do with them outdoors!

" I CANNOT WAIT TO SMOKE HER!"

Patience grasshopper!! I think I never made it to a proper cure the first 3-4 times I grew this one. By a proper cure I'm talking 4-6 weeks is my normal cure time - these made it MAYBE 2 weeks. I just run 3-4 plants at a time now so I have enough on hand to cure the current round. Waiting is worth it 100% ... it's good fresh but the taste after a proper cure is SA-weet and pungent pairs very well with a good bottle of red wine too if ya like wine I would highly suggest this with a glass or 3.

I'll post some pics of mine tonight .....

Thanks, bobrown :) I absolutely agree with you. I do like well-cured bud -- fresh doesn't compare. But I will enjoy burping their jars, that's for sure!

Here is my girl at day 71.

DSC_3353.JPG

DSC_3359.JPG

DSC_3344.JPG

DSC_3355.JPG

Not the best pic but even some of the trichomes are purple :)

Screenshot_2016-01-13-23-10-16.png

She's gorgeous, MrA -- love the colours. But that trichome picture is blowing my mind -- it's hallucinatory. I want to blow it up, mount it on canvas, and stare at it every day :)

I'm planting one when I get home and running the lights 20/4. I'm hoping I can get mine to look as good as all the rest. Mine grown in the tent never came up to their potential and I'm sure it was lighting. I have yet to grow one under proper lighting.

Watch out guys. Three weeks to go and I'm back at it. :slide:

Woo hoo! You must be looking forward to it! I'll watch your lighting adventures with interest -- I started these at 18/6 and then switched to 16/8 to give them more of a night off. Never tried 20/4 but it certainly sounds good.

Mine will have been curing almost two months when I get home next month. SA-weet indeed! :laughtwo:

You're hooked girl. :rofl: she's going to get so thick and frosty you're going to be shocked. :woohoo:

That's going to be some smooth smoke, Sue. Do the trimmings make purple butter? :)

Yeah, I'm hooked. Totally and completely. That's why I want to make my own seed, because I think I'm going to be growing one of these all the time :) How long do have they gone for you guys who have grown DD to harvest? I know it can vary widely based on growing conditions, just curious. The breeder says about 60 days but that seems way too short. I just want to know when I can start back building.

Here's my girl today at 51 days!

IMG_66339.JPG

Yeah, I'm hooked. Totally and completely. That's why I want to make my own seed, because I think I'm going to be growing one of these all the time :) How long do have they gone for you guys who have grown DD to harvest? I know it can vary widely based on growing conditions, just curious. The breeder says about 60 days but that seems way too short. I just want to know when I can start back building.

Here's my girl today at 51 days!

IMG_66339.JPG

GG....mine went 85 days but was in the tent with photo period girls at 12/12 light cycle.

Glimmer, my first went 82 days, the second 96 days, the third 83 days. All of mine were under 11/13 or less lighting. Maybe under straight 20/4, like I plan to do next, they'll come in faster, but 60 days sounds optimistic to me.

I'll be beyond thrilled if I can get them to come in that quickly.

Glimmer, my first went 82 days, the second 96 days, the third 83 days. All of mine were under 11/13 or less lighting. Maybe under straight 20/4, like I plan to do next, they'll come in faster, but 60 days sounds optimistic to me.

I'll be beyond thrilled if I can get them to come in that quickly.

Sue, was that in soil?

Sue, was that in soil?

LOS for the most part if I am not mistaken. I think she ran one in Doc Bud's kit.

Ok guys. What to say about Dark Devil? Today marks 24 days above ground. This is my first auto and man it has been a learning experience. I am using Doc Bud's High Brix kit, but with this plant I have not done any drenches yet. I am watering with a Solo cup and adding guesstimates of Doc's kit nutes. So far it has worked ok. I haven't killed it which is cause for excitement. She is under old style Mars Hydro lights which I have to say, for the price, I am pretty impressed. Looking at the plant today it appears that she may be purpling up at the tips. She is throwing out pistils. I keep the lights pretty close to her, so I think that's why she has stayed short. I pulled them up a little bit today to see if she stretches a bit. Would like to keep her shorter so I can run her all the way through in the shorter 5 foot tall tent. Hoping she doesn't take as long as SweetSue's plants did, almost out of the first harvest and would really love to be self sufficient and not to have to go to the black market. Enough babbling, on to the pics. The spotting on the leaves is De-Stress foliar spray from this morning. I may be spraying too late after lights come on, changed the lights to come on later, hopefully that fixes it.

Dark Devil

DSC_0006106.JPG

DSC_000599.JPG

Sue, was that in soil?

The first one was in LOS, second run soil, the last two were in Doc Bud's High BrixBlend first run soil.

LOS for the most part if I am not mistaken. I think she ran one in Doc Bud's kit.

Ok guys. What to say about Dark Devil? Today marks 24 days above ground. This is my first auto and man it has been a learning experience. I am using Doc Bud's High Brix kit, but with this plant I have not done any drenches yet. I am watering with a Solo cup and adding guesstimates of Doc's kit nutes. So far it has worked ok. I haven't killed it which is cause for excitement. She is under old style Mars Hydro lights which I have to say, for the price, I am pretty impressed. Looking at the plant today it appears that she may be purpling up at the tips. She is throwing out pistils. I keep the lights pretty close to her, so I think that's why she has stayed short. I pulled them up a little bit today to see if she stretches a bit. Would like to keep her shorter so I can run her all the way through in the shorter 5 foot tall tent. Hoping she doesn't take as long as SweetSue's plants did, almost out of the first harvest and would really love to be self sufficient and not to have to go to the black market. Enough babbling, on to the pics. The spotting on the leaves is De-Stress foliar spray from this morning. I may be spraying too late after lights come on, changed the lights to come on later, hopefully that fixes it.

Dark Devil

DSC_0006106.JPG

DSC_000599.JPG

She looks mighty sweet BrixNewb. If she's five nodes start her on the drenches and treat her like any other HB plant grown with Doc's kit. In my experience this strain may take its time getting started, but that's because it's growing roots. She'll start shooting up now and filling out. It's a good sign that she's turning purple. It speaks to good soil and a happy plant. These do really well in Doc's soil. As an auto you need to think ahead with the drenches though. You don't have the same timing on the CAT. I missed the timing with mine

I'm looking over my notes and thinking about it, and this is how I'd proceed:
- Start with the Growth Energy and run just like you would any other plant.
- Somewhere around day 40-45 do your Recharge.
- After you do the third Energy drench, count five days and hit her with the first CAT.
- Finish as you would with any other - second CAT to TransWater to Energy to TransWater..... She'll be finishing up real quick somewhere along there.

Hey there Brix - from experience with meds and keeping a good supply on hand. What I do is run perpetual PHOTO plants in VEG and Flower, 2 separate rooms. In the VEG room I run lights 20/4 so that's where I run all my AUTOs. Veg room can start to get crowded but having extra is always a good thing. I don't mind culling but do mind running out of weeds. Try not to cull if possible but if I get lucky I usually will have extra plants. Crowding is not productive. 10 sick plants don't out yield 4 healthy plants.

In the VEG room I run the lights up pretty high (eye level) but have a decent amount of wattage ... the AUTOs don't really stretch so maybe early on I may run the AUTOs with less light in another space so they will stretch.

I run AUTOs to fill in the gaps between harvests of my Photo plants. That and I like a little variation. All my Photo plants are for the most part the same cultivar, which I like very much. The Auto plants are there to keep me honest to my favorite ... at the end of the day, I'm going back to my old faithful ladies that have been keeping me happy for a few years now.

Last night I rolled up a big fatty of some Dark Devil - man its got some decent medical value 100%... lips, face fingers numb after rolling and then a few puffs and into LaLa land and I get chatty Ta-boot. Very good med AND a nice stony high, if I keep it going, I have to be careful specially on a work night = hazy daze ahead. Not that there's anything wrong with that, per-se.

Full steam a-head - hazy daze it is!

Aye captain Hazy Daze.

She looks mighty sweet BrixNewb. If she's five nodes start her on the drenches and treat her like any other HB plant grown with Doc's kit. In my experience this strain may take its time getting started, but that's because it's growing roots. She'll start shooting up now and filling out. It's a good sign that she's turning purple. It speaks to good soil and a happy plant. These do really well in Doc's soil. As an auto you need to think ahead with the drenches though. You don't have the same timing on the CAT. I missed the timing with mine

I'm looking over my notes and thinking about it, and this is how I'd proceed:
- Start with the Growth Energy and run just like you would any other plant.
- Somewhere around day 40-45 do your Recharge.
- After you do the third Energy drench, count five days and hit her with the first CAT.
- Finish as you would with any other - second CAT to TransWater to Energy to TransWater..... She'll be finishing up real quick somewhere along there.

I have given her TransWater and even a GE+Tea, but neither were a drench. I think within a week I will be ready to give her a drench. Just being cautious at this point. I was thinking about going by when the buds are set to hit her with Cat, you are saying that's not how you would go? I am all ears girl.

But I am SO excited to see what you do with them outdoors!

Yeah, I'm pretty casual about the whole thing. Just some plants, no big deal.

I lie. :) I just saw that my order went from "pending" to "completed", and I squealed so loud it scared the dogs. My seeds are flying!

If everything goes according to schedule, it's 44 days until the first planting. That'll be a DD, a Malawi Gold, a Sweet Coffee Ryder, and an Auto Berry. Another set every two weeks for a total of five plantings, each in a different site.

Those first two plantings might be iffy. Days will still be short, and there's a slight chance of a hard freeze. On the other hand, they'll be growing before the insect pests start cranking it up, which might help. I have to push some boundaries to see what works in this area. I've also been scouring Conradino's outdoor grow journals for helpful info, as SweetSue suggested, so that should give me an edge.

Outdoors adds a lot of the random element to the process. I could get everything from maximum-height, maximum yield plants to chewed-off stumps surrounded by purple deer droppings.

I have given her TransWater and even a GE+Tea, but neither were a drench. I think within a week I will be ready to give her a drench. Just being cautious at this point. I was thinking about going by when the buds are set to hit her with Cat, you are saying that's not how you would go? I am all ears girl.

The timing of the CAT is based on the belief that you're running photoflowerers. Autos take a different timing. Autos are finishing up before you'd be flipping a photoflowering plant. The two I grew in kit soil went to a full lifespan, so it needs to accelerate. Autos start blooming almost immediately. The CAT has to be timed to fall after an Energy drench, so that's why I said do three Energys and then do the first CAT. This gives you time to get both CATs in and have some time to build buds.

You have the option of asking Ziggy how he times it. He runs his like autos under the diminished lighting and he has much more experience at it.

The timing of the CAT is based on the belief that you're running photoflowerers. Autos take a different timing. Autos are finishing up before you'd be flipping a photoflowering plant. The two I grew in kit soil went to a full lifespan, so it needs to accelerate. Autos start blooming almost immediately. The CAT has to be timed to fall after an Energy drench, so that's why I said do three Energys and then do the first CAT. This gives you time to get both CATs in and have some time to build buds.

You have the option of asking Ziggy how he times it. He runs his like autos under the diminished lighting and he has much more experience at it.

I got you. I will give your suggestion a go and see how it turns out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom