Derek910 Liberty Haze & Gelato Clone Organic Soil Grow First Attempt

derek910

What strain is it Liberty Haze and Gelato
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 3 Weeks
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? FoxFarm Ocean Forrest/Happy Frog soil with added perlite
If soil... What size pot? 5 gallon fabric pots
Size of light? 2 600w Viraspectra LEDs
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? 77F
RH of Room/cab? 60%
PH of media or res? 6.5
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? About every 3 days
Type and strength of ferts used? FoxFarm 6-4-5 Organic dry, 4-9-3 Fruit and Flower Organic dry, 1-12-0 Caven Culture Organic dry, and URB

These 2 clones were cut from my grow journal in my signature. I decided to try an organic grow because I’ve read a lot of good things and I’d like to be able to compare quality with the same genetics. My other grow is synthetic and this one will be organic. I won’t be able to compare yield because this grow is in a smaller tent but quality is my priority. I’ve been told the way I’m attempting this is not ideal, but I’m stubborn and have to learn things the hard way. Anyway I look forward to this grow and we’ll see how it works out together.

I transplanted them into the 5 gallon pots from a solo cup and the plants have been vegging in them for 3 weeks. Please forgive me I didn’t know about up potting at that point. I’ve just been adding water ph’d to 6.5 and letting them ride on the nutrients already in the soil. Today I top dressed them with a 50/50 ratio of the All Purpose and Fruit and Flower nutes. 5 Tbsp of each. I worked it into the top of the soil. I think I went a little too deep because I broke a piece of root off on the Gelato. The plant didn’t show any signs of stress so hopefully it’ll be ok. Then I added 2 Tbsp of URB as recommended for initial inoculation in a gallon of water. I watered in until I noticed any runoff. Very little runoff and it took about 3/4 of the gallon. I then moved them into my 3x3 with an 8” oscillating fan and a 6” exhaust fan going into a 6” carbon filter. I sprayed a Neem oil spray on the stems, branches and bottoms of leaves. I plan to cut some yellow sticky paper and put it around the edge of the pot to catch and tell me if there are any pests.

Here they are situated in their new home. They have been topped and trained to grow horizontally. Now I will let them grow vertically until they get tall enough to put a SCROG net over them and flip to flower. Gelato on the left and Liberty Haze on the right

Veg Week 3 Day 22

600DE743-D1EC-4927-9B07-EBFE62540257.jpeg

They seem to be filling in nicely. I had to take 1 of the LEDs out because it was getting too hot with the Bloom switches on. I turn them on about 5 days before I flip to flower. I’m going to let the middle catch up a little more than put a SCROG net over them in a couple days. I’ll post a picture when I do.

Veg Week 4 Day 27

814E73C3-EBAD-4A9D-966A-AE1D65C4A09A.jpeg

Went ahead and lollipopped them. Then I sprayed all the branches with a Neem Oil spray to mask the smell from pest. Nice little buds starting. Going to add another 8” oscillating fan to move air around underneath the canopy

Flower Week 2Day 12, Grow Day 40

28FAB6CB-EE22-4022-AA20-1BFBF46B6466.jpeg
819C0181-EFEE-4082-B3CF-01DD83AB3590.jpeg

Put another fan to move air around underneath the canopy. They are looking good and no signs of deficiencies. Top dressed with 3 Tbsp of FoxFarm All-Purpose, 7 Tbsp of Fruit and Flower, and 5 Tbsp of Cavern Culture organic nutes. Watered in a gallon of water with 1 Tbsp of URB ph’d to 6.60 per plant. Seems to be working pretty good so far

Flower Week 3 Day 15, Grow Day 43

958885CD-BA2F-48B3-9BFB-4A2C11442AC2.jpeg
702784C0-7C64-474A-B245-6C2762DBEF75.jpeg

My girl bought them for me. It’s actually a two DWC 5 Gallon buckets, two Nike shoe boxes fan stand lol. Using all of that to support that corner of the SCROG net. I need to figure out a way hang the fan from above and still oscilate so I can use all of the tent space. I normally use this tent for Veg but since my other grow is still going in my flower tent I engineered this setup just to see if these organic nutes and feeding method I’m using is going to work for the whole grow with no issues. If it does this is how I’ll do all my grows until I decide to try making my own soil and all of that stuff.

Looks like the buds are stacking up nice. The Liberty Haze appears to have a issue with some of the leaves. The Gelato is nice and healthy. Can y’all help me identify the issue with the Liberty Haze? Looks like nute burn to me, but I thought that didn’t happen with organic?

Flower Week 4 Day 24, Grow Day 52

F0430F15-7301-4101-A3D3-77B964CF2BD4.jpeg

Liberty Haze leaves

8122A1CA-BD75-41C3-B9EB-4B6FAFDC4CED.jpeg

Top dressed with 3 Tbsp of FoxFarm All-Purpose, 7 Tbsp of Fruit and Flower, and 5 Tbsp of Cavern Culture organic nutes.
Can y’all help me identify the issue with the Liberty Haze? Looks like nute burn to me, but I thought that didn’t happen with organic?
I believe you answered your own question :)

I believe you answered your own question :)
Just wanted to make sure. Should I just ride it out and make a note for next time? They’ll need to be watered tomorrow and I’ve been adding URB once a week. Should I hold off this time on?

you are acting like this is a crisis... it is not. It is a tiny weenie itsy bitsy wee bit of tip burn, nothing to be alarmed about. There is an old adage in the cannabis world that if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. Don't do anything and just let it happen... this is why I hate topdressing, because you can't turn it off. You are committed to whatever imbalance you created, once you have filtered all that into the soil. You didn't do much harm with what you added, but as you can see, it really wasn't needed. Keep giving the URB... you can't give too much URB... it can not burn your plants.
P.S. You can get tip burn in pure organic growing, if you have spikes and layers of raw nutrients in your container, when the roots first run into them and have to quickly adapt.

you are acting like this is a crisis... it is not. It is a tiny weenie itsy bitsy wee bit of tip burn, nothing to be alarmed about. There is an old adage in the cannabis world that if you aren't at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough. Don't do anything and just let it happen... this is why I hate topdressing, because you can't turn it off. You are committed to whatever imbalance you created, once you have filtered all that into the soil. You didn't do much harm with what you added, but as you can see, it really wasn't needed. Keep giving the URB... you can't give too much URB... it can not burn your plants.
P.S. You can get tip burn in pure organic growing, if you have spikes and layers of raw nutrients in your container, when the roots first run into them and have to quickly adapt.
Thanks. I’m not freaking out or anything lol. This grow is an experiment for me and just wanted to make sure I’m reading the plant correctly. On my next grow I plan to ammend the nutes in the soil as I up pot if I can get some seeds to germinate. I germinated some seeds and they popped up deformed so I tossed them and now I have one that I pulled the shell off and it looks like the membrane is still on the one that popped. Going to keep it moist and see if it opens up tomorrow. The other one hasn’t popped out of the soil yet and it’s day 5. So I’ll give that one a couple more days and if it hasn’t popped I’ll make a decision to dig it up and see if it was a dud and try again. Thanks for the help as always

I do not remember the Gelato having this much sugar on it at this point on her mother. May be the organic vs synthetic nutes? Also the purple is starting to show on the Liberty Haze buds.

Flower Week 5 Day 31, Grow Day 59

Gelato

A147372F-6F5F-4D57-875C-9822905849FB.jpeg

Liberty Haze

5934C50A-5C10-4471-8A3A-00350A9C88D7.jpeg

That of course is my guess. This is the difference between force feeding what you and the nute company thinks that they need, vs the microbes and the roots working together to give them exactly what they really need.
That makes sense. What do you think about making something possibly out of vinyl or something to wrap around the sides of the pots to force water downward instead of coming out of the sides. Then once done watering remove the wrap. Seems it would make it easier to water evenly and still get the benefits of the fabric pot

Back
Top Bottom