DIY fabric grow pots Cannabags made from Eco Felt

My wife finished the pots and the plants are in them. It's too early to tell if they are any better. I told her that I wanted bias tape to mark the strain and something else to differentiate between two plants of the same strain. Well, this is what she made. It may not be how I would have done it but hey, I didn't have to do it. I gave her the dimensions and she ran with it. I'm happy! I decided that I didn't need handles on the 3 gallon pots. Assuming I need to go with 7 gallons in a few weeks I think that I will need handles. I'm just not sure if the fabric can handle that amount of weight. Cannafan, what's your take on that?

06240.JPG

My second grow has begun and hopefully these pots help make it the best it can be!

Hey Cannafan, I have a question. Do you have any ideas on low stress training with these pots. I don't plan on doing a lot of it but the re-vegged Cinex looks like it will need it to tame it some.

My wife finished the pots and the plants are in them. It's too early to tell if they are any better. I told her that I wanted bias tape to mark the strain and something else to differentiate between two plants of the same strain. Well, this is what she made. It may not be how I would have done it but hey, I didn't have to do it. I gave her the dimensions and she ran with it. I'm happy! I decided that I didn't need handles on the 3 gallon pots. Assuming I need to go with 7 gallons in a few weeks I think that I will need handles. I'm just not sure if the fabric can handle that amount of weight. Cannafan, what's your take on that?

06240.JPG

My second grow has begun and hopefully these pots help make it the best it can be!
Those look awesome! Please tell her she did a right fine job!
I think you will need some handles if you're going larger for sure. I have had to move mine and the handles really made it easier to not disturb the soil etc. Ideally, you wouldn't have to move them around much. I double stitched my handles to be sure they were secure. I also did a different style handle that you can see in this pic:
Clones_11-17-13.jpg

I believe it's the fourth from the right end. they stick out and are easier grabbing, the strapping is less wide.
Hope this helps, again nice job!

This is a 5 week review. The pots seem to be working perfectly! There are roots sticking out of the pots almost to the top of the soil. They pop out and then fall off after a couple of days. Then a few days later more pop out in the same area. This tells me that they are air pruning as advertised. I don't know what impact this will have upon harvest but I am sure that It won't hurt.

The pluses. They dry out properly. If you need to leave for a few days they can be bottom fed. Just take them off of the rack and put them on your tray. Ad feed to the tray and they will absorb as needed. They are easy to store between grow.

The minuses. They do dry fairly quick. This means you need to water more often. It's a little harder to train them if you need the pot to help but the paper clips Cannafan speaks of work. At this point I think that the pluses out weigh the minuses.

So I want to shout out props to Cannafan from the tree tops for the whole world to hear. I never would have spent the money to buy these but her tutorial gave us the knowledge to make them ourselves. Thank you Cannafan!!! Will send reps if I can figure out how to do that.

Reps awarded!

Ok, here's another report. They have been transplanted into their final pots, seven gallons each. The three gallon pots were FULL of tiny roots through the entire pot. So the pots do work as advertised. I am planning on flipping on the first. I will gently probe with a chopstick and see how much the roots have grown in the month or so that they will have been in those pots. Here's a current pic.

014587.JPG

I have liked these bags but watering them was a pain in the butt. When the top soil dried and hardened the feed would migrate to the lowest point, which was invariably the edge of the pot. And the pot being fabric, well, you know the rest. So I would pour a little bit at a time hoping it would soak in faster. I got a killer deal on some Earth Juice products, which I have been using all grow. Among others I got a gallon and a half of Assist. It is a wetting agent. I had never used one before so I figured I would try it. WOW. I didn't scarify the top soil at all and just watered one quart at a time as I always do. After a little initial run off it all just soaked in! And the soil looks more like it was properly watered some how. As I just now fed them it will be 3 days until I know how it effects the drying abilities of the fabric pots. Maybe I will get an extra day in between feedings!

:circle-of-love:Canna fan, if you were here I would hug you!:circle-of-love:

This is exactly what I was hoping to find when I hit search. I can't believe I didn't spot it sooner.

I purchased 7 gal. Geo Pots for my initial grow, limited by the available space to that 14" max diameter, but I'm doing a no-till and the bigger the pot the happier the plants. What I really want to do is design and construct one large pot that will hold over 20 gallons and grow two plants side by side. Because I have such a limited space it required a DIY approach. Now, thanks to your wonderful design and excellent tutorial, that dream is going to become a reality before I begin my second grow.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now to locate materials and supplies.

And MacEFL, koodos to the wife for her excellent idea about the different colored bias tape. It's not something I will need, but I'm sure many lurkers out there said "Wow! Why didn't I think of that?"

Susan :Namaste:

Hi SweetSue! I'm so glad you found it, and you will be very happy with it when completed.
I may have made an error in the type of thread to use, I think I said Polyester in the original instructions. It should be nylon, so it doesn't break down with the constant wetness. I am going on the fourth grow with my pots, and they have not broken down at all.

Hope you have fun, and be sure to post a pic of the finished product if you can.

:circle-of-love:

Wow, I forgot about this thread. I just transplanted into these again for the third time. They have handled the washing machine just fine. I use plastic one gallon pots first and I put a piece of the felt in the bottom to keep the soil in. It works awesome! I had a bunch of roots in the felt when I transplanted. I peeled the fabric off of one of them and left it on the rest. And the pins work awesome.

Back
Top Bottom