DIY fabric grow pots Cannabags made from Eco Felt

These are only 10 litre (limited grow space at the mo) but will be making some bigger ones soon :smokin:

The ones I made are teeny-tiny, patterned after azalea pots. They hold less than a half gallon.

image28421.jpg

I'm pretty much free-forming them, so they don't have a polished look at all. I'm hand sewing too, as part of self-directed grief therapy, since my husband just passed away and I needed something meditative to keep me from being swallowed up in grief. They were quite effective at that too. :battingeyelashes:

I like the randomness of mine. It appeals to that part of me that rebels against conformity. :laughtwo: When you were sewing yours, did you find yourself adding thoughts of intention? With each stitch I kept envisioning happy, healthy, bushy and flower-laden plants covered in trichomes. I think it'll make a difference. Won't ever be able to prove it, but I'll know. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The ones I made are teeny-tiny, patterned after azalea pots. They hold less than a half gallon.

image28421.jpg

I'm pretty much free-forming them, so they don't have a polished look at all. I'm hand sewing too, as part of self-directed grief therapy, since my husband just passed away and I needed something meditative to keep me from being swallowed up in grief. They were quite effective at that too. :battingeyelashes:
I like the randomness of mine. It appeals to that part of me that rebels against conformity. :laughtwo: When you were sewing yours, did you find yourself adding thoughts of intention? With each stitch I kept envisioning happy, healthy, bushy and flower-laden plants covered in trichomes. I think it'll make a difference. Won't ever be able to prove it, but I'll know. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Those look awesome, well done! Certainly more rustic, they just look right. Are those finishing pots??

Sorry to hear about your late husband, sending pleny of positive energy your way :)
I think you've got the right attitude as well, your passion for your soil is inspiring :thumb:

Thank you. Being here, under the loving and watchful eye of this incredible community, got me through the very worst of grieving in what must be record time. Today I planted 12 seeds to start over again the grow I began right before we realized a month ago that he was going to die so fast we were left reeling.

Wow! Those moments always catch me completely off guard. Let me breathe a minute. BRB.

OK. You can't prepare in advance for those. Like little emotional storms floating in free space that blindside you. :laughtwo: The community has encouraged me to grieve right out in the open and one of those secrets I learned was to just roll with it and know it would pass. I've gotten better as I've gone on. That one was only two brutal minutes instead of 20. :yahoo:

Yes, these are the finish pots. I think the tray I start next month I'll make about one gallon size to see how much difference it makes.

They do have a nice rustic look. :blushsmile: They suit this aging hippie well. LOL!

Tiny Pot Update

I got to playing around with the design and came up with a quick and lazy way to Velcro them. Yes, I could sew the strips on, but I have no machine and I'm making over 30 of the tiny pots and probably a good number of seedling cups as well, so I went with simplicity.

I decided on the seedling cups because I think they might grow better roots on a SWICK, so they're experimental at this stage.

image29555.jpg

How I adapted them for Velcro openings.

So I revised the design. Turns out, running one vertically was a really good idea. I can get away with just pinning the Velcro strips in for now, since I'm still refining the design and don't have a sewing machine. Hand sewing that Velcro in would be a serious pain on my fingers.

image29470.jpg

Once it's pinned in place (I was careful to bury the points into the back of the Velcro) simply close it up and let it grip.

image29471.jpg

Add a strap at the top and you're done!

image29472.jpg

Everyone's modified now. I have the parts cut for the next four to be ready for the transplanting that will occur sometime in.the next couple weeks.

image29473.jpg

No one sells seedling cups and this is the most critical stage of root development. It made sense to me to try felt seedling cups. It'll be an interesting experiment.

There is one little thing that bothered me about my Fabric Pots. When you LST, the sides on the top of the pot push inward despite the reinforcement around the edges with the bias tape.

fabric_pots_ring_1.jpg

So....I got the tops of some tomato cages and cut the legs off them. I sewed them onto the edges of the pot, every couple of inches or so. That way I can use the LST on the ring if I choose to. Now I can just put my LST strings onto my "pins" and the ring keeps the top circular and supported:

fabric_pots_ring_2.jpg

You could probably use a metal coat hanger, just find a way to get it round and fit it as needed.

:thumb:

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck trying a Crown Royal bag? Thanks!

Never tried them. They appear to be expensive if you have to buy them. I don't know what the largest sizes are, but the standard sizes wouldn't hold enough for a final container....I wouldn't think. Isn't the material pretty thin?
Let us know if you try them though!

:circle-of-love:

Yes they are pretty thin, but I'll give it a shot. For some reason I have a lot of them laying around. They are expensive, but they come with a free bottle of whiskey. :)

The great Crown Royal experiment was a fail. Not an epic fail, but a fail all the same. They are just too thin to maintain a proper shape. But I think I'll still keep collecting Crown Royal bags. :)

The great Crown Royal experiment was a fail. Not an epic fail, but a fail all the same. They are just too thin to maintain a proper shape. But I think I'll still keep collecting Crown Royal bags. :)

Thanks for letting us know. I was curious. :)

The bags are pretty cool, use them for stocking stuffers or gift bags for guests to take home after a dinner party. :blalol:

Wow.. Yours look super-pro!! Well done! The fabric I have is quite thin; I doubled it up before sewing.. That's why the jute-wrap on mine...they look great until you fill 'em!

Here is a good reason to join up and support this site I use grow bags as my main container from my study of how to grow root structures in plants that are annual I have found that the top 4-5 inches are so very important to the overall life cycle of the plant in my experience wider shallower mean more feeder roots I have always wanted a 4 gal "Azazel Pot" these are shorter and wider I use 5 gal grow bags but only fill them to about 3/4 full lately I have been adding 2-3 inches of coco croutons to the bottom ( organic hempy style) and then the coco perlite mix on top adding the velco and tabs or loops on the edges for tie downs-----brilliant!!!!

Back
Top Bottom