Do you know what kind of mold it is?

Thylakoid15

420 Member
It's a bud harvested. I saw little watch patch and decided to put it under the microscope. I saw no mold while flowering period. I check everyday under my microscope. (My rh was pretty low about 30-35% and same for drying).

I didn't jared yet. I just saw white patch while i was cutting and put on paper bag.

Anyone know why i got it ? Which kind of mold is it ?
mold01.png

mold02.png

mold03.png

I tried to cut the part, there is still some white under the cutting . :confused:

I never seen this type of mold under microscope. I've done a lot of research but I've never found someone with it..
Keep cutting , until none is visible, about an inch above and below the mold.

how bad does it look without the microscope?

Sadly, it's like it until the stem . All i can do it's figure out why i got that, and how i can counter it.

if it molded you can't counter it. it's got to be dealt with while growing with a proper hang dry and cure. it gets really tough in higher rh climates.

It would take an expert, and a good microscope to tell you exactly what mold/fungus it is. Big tight buds are most prone to it, sounds like your conditions were pretty good, but it still happens. You don't saywhether it was an indoor or outdoor grow. Indooors, a good oscillating fan can help.

how bad does it look without the microscope?

if it molded you can't counter it. it's got to be dealt with while growing with a proper hang dry and cure. it gets really tough in higher rh climates.

I see white spots in random places, but it's very dry. This is my third try, and the third time I've had mold after harvesting. I didn't know I had mold until I smelled my jar and decided to find mold with my microscopes. So yes, I smoked mold.

I just want to know how can i avoid it for the next time, it's pretty exhausting.

I even gave chitosan oligossacharide that run, is it supposed to induce SAR (systemic acquired reponse) for better mold resistance.

It would take an expert, and a good microscope to tell you exactly what mold/fungus it is. Big tight buds are most prone to it, sounds like your conditions were pretty good, but it still happens. You don't saywhether it was an indoor or outdoor grow. Indooors, a good oscillating fan can help.

This is an indoor crop. I have two oscillating fans (one at the bottom and one at the top).

This is an indoor crop. I have two oscillating fans (one at the bottom and one at the top).
You could try taking buds off the stem and rinsing them in a bucket of H2O2, then clean water
If that still doesn't work for smoking, last resort you could decarb it and make some butter

You could try taking buds off the stem and rinsing them in a bucket of H2O2, then clean water
If that still doesn't work for smoking, last resort you could decarb it and make some butter

Does hydrogen peroxide eliminate white spots or just kill them? Are aflatoxin and mycotoxin also eliminated? I've tried putting it under a UV-A lamp, but I can't see any glow. All the sites that talk about mold say that mold glows under UV-A light. Any idea why it didn't glow? I've tried it with other molds (apple, ginger, coffee) and all the molds are fluorescent under UV-A light. Maybe it's because it's too dry?

I don't want to save this crop at all costs, I just want the next harvest to be mold-free.

Does hydrogen peroxide eliminate white spots or just kill them? Are aflatoxin and mycotoxin also eliminated? I've tried putting it under a UV-A lamp, but I can't see any glow. All the sites that talk about mold say that mold glows under UV-A light. Any idea why it didn't glow? I've tried it with other molds (apple, ginger, coffee) and all the molds are fluorescent under UV-A light. Maybe it's because it's too dry?

I don't want to save this crop at all costs, I just want the next harvest to be mold-free.
H2O2 is a powerful sterilizing agent which oxidizes any fine or rotting organic matter, literally burns mould off
Maybe it's just very difficult to see on a bud, as opposed to on the surface of an apple
Be sure to spray/sterilize your grow room thoroughly between grows

H2O2 is a powerful sterilizing agent which oxidizes any fine or rotting organic matter, literally burns mould off
Maybe it's just very difficult to see on a bud, as opposed to on the surface of an apple
Be sure to spray/sterilize your grow room thoroughly between grows

I clean every crop with isopropyl alcohol 99%, but only my tent, not the room where my tent is.

What is your H2O2 : H2O ratio? Do you see a reduction in quality after a hydrogen peroxide bath?

It will kill the mold, but I'm not so sure it destroys the aflatoxin, if it is there.

Sterilizing the tent helps, but the mold spores are everywhere, floating in the air, on your clothes etc., so unless you make your tent into a clean room with HEPA filters, tyvek suits, UV lights and such, it is always present.

It will kill the mold, but I'm not so sure it destroys the aflatoxin, if it is there.

Sterilizing the tent helps, but the mold spores are everywhere, floating in the air, on your clothes etc., so unless you make your tent into a clean room with HEPA filters, tyvek suits, UV lights and such, it is always present.

Yes, you're right. But it's strange, I have a very dry climate and mold manages to grow on my buds, I don't know what I can do to maximize mold resistance. My grow area is really clean, good air exchance, low humidity , induce SAR response..

I will give a try with some bud for the hydrogen peroxide bath.

I clean every crop with isopropyl alcohol 99%, but only my tent, not the room where my tent is.

What is your H2O2 : H2O ratio? Do you see a reduction in quality after a hydrogen peroxide bath?
Whatever strength you start with, dilute it down to about 1.5% - stuff I have is 12% so I dilute it 1:10 to make 1.2%
No, there is no aftertaste or loss of trichomes esp if you do a final rinse in clean water to rid any debris
Then dry off any excess water with a gentle fan

....Which kind of mold is it ?....
I have the feeling that it is Powdery Mildew. Many growers see it on fan leaves and early on it does not look much like a mold or mildew; just a splotch of white or grey and the leaf. If you picked it up in very late vegetating or early in the flower stage it is easy to not notice it, especially once the leaves start to change color several weeks after the flowering stage starts.

When the plant is flowering the Powdery Mildew can be on the fan leaves and will infest the buds themselves. I can see it with my eye tucked in between the sugar leaves so no need for a microscope or similar attachment on a phone.

Anyone know why i got it ?
Mold, mildew or a fungus will throw off spores instead of seeds. The spores are real light weight and drift on the winds and even a gentle breeze. The spores, and especially mildew spores, will break off an infected plant when it is dry weather and not humid. Dry days with a breeze are the big spreaders of mildew spores. Yes, our favorite days in the summer are the best times to get the spores on our skin or clothes. If the breeze does not blow the spores onto the plants there is still a good chance that any spores on our clothes will spread it.

The mildew will grow on warm, humid or wet days/nights. It can sit on the leaf and slowly grow but then it takes off and grows fast and spreads quickly when the humidity increases or it starts to rain. People with outdoor grows notice Mildew showing up a week or so after a rain and figure that the rains caused the problem. Only thing is that the mildew was already there and the rains caused it to grow faster. A plant can have spores land on it and nothing much happens for weeks until the right conditions. Most likely growers can have infected plants for weeks or even a month or more before it actually shows up.

Sadly, the fans are necessary for plant strength and reducing moisture on leaf surfaces. But, the same fan can help to spread the stuff once the first patch of mildew starts to throw off spores.

I just want to know how can i avoid it for the next time, it's pretty exhausting.
I notice that @Roy Growin and @Phytoplankton have mentioned some of what I was typing up.

There basically is no way to prevent Powdery Mildew and most other molds. The spores are everywhere. I started spraying my plants with a mixture of citric acid and water during the vegetating stage whether I see any signs of the stuff or not. I spray with the citric acid mix about every 3 to 4 days; the whole plant, top to bottom and even under the leaves. I will spray during flowering and concentrate on the growing tips where the buds are forming. So far I have not noticed any problems with the buds or the stigma/pistils.

One thing I have noticed since I started the spray program is that I no longer get any Bud Rot.

I do not know about Roy's mix of Hydrogen Peroxide for spraying the plants but it looks like the mix ratio for bud washing at harvest. I looked up recommended mixes for general gardening and for spraying plants. What was mentioned was 3% H2O2 and water at a 1 to 1 rate. So a pint of the H202 and a pint of water. This was for spraying living plants to kill existing mildews and molds. You can try it on your Cannabis plants to see if it works. Pick an area near the bottom and spray that and watch for a few days to see if the plant reacts. If no reaction then try spraying the rest of the plant. If the plant is in flower pick a few smaller buds and spray those to see how the stigma/pistils react.

There are about 7 or 8 major varieties of Powdery Mildew. Most plants will be affected by only one variety so we often will see Mildew on one type of plant but not on others.

I have the feeling that it is Powdery Mildew. Many growers see it on fan leaves and early on it does not look much like a mold or mildew; just a splotch of white or grey and the leaf. If you picked it up in very late vegetating or early in the flower stage it is easy to not notice it, especially once the leaves start to change color several weeks after the flowering stage starts.

When the plant is flowering the Powdery Mildew can be on the fan leaves and will infest the buds themselves. I can see it with my eye tucked in between the sugar leaves so no need for a microscope or similar attachment on a phone.

Mold, mildew or a fungus will throw off spores instead of seeds. The spores are real light weight and drift on the winds and even a gentle breeze. The spores, and especially mildew spores, will break off an infected plant when it is dry weather and not humid. Dry days with a breeze are the big spreaders of mildew spores. Yes, our favorite days in the summer are the best times to get the spores on our skin or clothes. If the breeze does not blow the spores onto the plants there is still a good chance that any spores on our clothes will spread it.

The mildew will grow on warm, humid or wet days/nights. It can sit on the leaf and slowly grow but then it takes off and grows fast and spreads quickly when the humidity increases or it starts to rain. People with outdoor grows notice Mildew showing up a week or so after a rain and figure that the rains caused the problem. Only thing is that the mildew was already there and the rains caused it to grow faster. A plant can have spores land on it and nothing much happens for weeks until the right conditions. Most likely growers can have infected plants for weeks or even a month or more before it actually shows up.

Sadly, the fans are necessary for plant strength and reducing moisture on leaf surfaces. But, the same fan can help to spread the stuff once the first patch of mildew starts to throw off spores.

I notice that @Roy Growin and @Phytoplankton have mentioned some of what I was typing up.

There basically is no way to prevent Powdery Mildew and most other molds. The spores are everywhere. I started spraying my plants with a mixture of citric acid and water during the vegetating stage whether I see any signs of the stuff or not. I spray with the citric acid mix about every 3 to 4 days; the whole plant, top to bottom and even under the leaves. I will spray during flowering and concentrate on the growing tips where the buds are forming. So far I have not noticed any problems with the buds or the stigma/pistils.

One thing I have noticed since I started the spray program is that I no longer get any Bud Rot.

I do not know about Roy's mix of Hydrogen Peroxide for spraying the plants but it looks like the mix ratio for bud washing at harvest. I looked up recommended mixes for general gardening and for spraying plants. What was mentioned was 3% H2O2 and water at a 1 to 1 rate. So a pint of the H202 and a pint of water. This was for spraying living plants to kill existing mildews and molds. You can try it on your Cannabis plants to see if it works. Pick an area near the bottom and spray that and watch for a few days to see if the plant reacts. If no reaction then try spraying the rest of the plant. If the plant is in flower pick a few smaller buds and spray those to see how the stigma/pistils react.

There are about 7 or 8 major varieties of Powdery Mildew. Most plants will be affected by only one variety so we often will see Mildew on one type of plant but not on others.

Thank you for your reply. Technically, you can prevent spores from germinating by adapting your environment to make it hostile to mold spores. You can induce a pathogen resistance mechanism in the plants. But in my case, I haven't really seen any change in my results. I maybe need to induce SAR response early in flowering or late in vege, because i started a chitosan oligossacharide soil drench (300ppm) in really late flower (week 11). But yes, as you said, spores are present on all surfaces and are simply waiting for the right climate to develop.

It's weird because i didn't see any sign of PM in all my flowering stage.. Maybe my eyes wasn't well trained.

I'm always hesitant to spray something on my flower, especially big one. (scared to make it mold lol.)

I'm really trying to learn as much as I can to avoid mold in the future.

Back
Top Bottom