Does it make any economical or rational sense to veg for a month before flowering?

Many people seem to forget that 12/12 light is the natural regimen for the equator where most sativas grow.

you can tell my frickin bitches to hurry up. 100 days sheesh. endless summer.

i kick it down to 11/ 13 then 10 / 14 to get them moving. cuts a couple weeks with out weight loss if you have the ppfd.

you can tell my frickin bitches to hurry up. 100 days sheesh. endless summer.

i kick it down to 11/ 13 then 10 / 14 to get them moving. cuts a couple weeks with out weight loss if you have the ppfd.

Haha, my Malawis went 118 days under 12/12 from seed but it was well worth the wait, the tall pheno came in at 118g dried while the shorter indica pheno came in at a 100g dried and both were potent as fu*k. You certainly need a lot of patience in this game. Peace.

Haha, my Malawis went 118 days under 12/12 from seed but it was well worth the wait, the tall pheno came in at 118g dried while the shorter indica pheno came in at a 100g dried and both were potent as fu*k. You certainly need a lot of patience in this game. Peace.

screw patience. i have adhd in spades. it's why i grow sativa lol.
it's good for focus yada yada.

i roll hempy style. super small plants but the buds are awesome for plant size.
i gotta cage or stuff super crops itself and hits the floor ..

full

it's a lousy mess

full

everything is in 2L of perlite and even the sativas finish under 3 ft

edit: it's a super cheap way to grow. passive hydro.

screw patience. i have adhd in spades. it's why i grow sativa lol.
it's good for focus yada yada.

i roll hempy style. super small plants but the buds are awesome for plant size.
i gotta cage or stuff super crops itself and hits the floor ..

full

it's a lousy mess

full

everything is in 2L of perlite and even the sativas finish under 3 ft

edit: it's a super cheap way to grow. passive hydro.

Nice looking thick ass buds man.

Yes and that is the whole point I am trying to illustrate, it just seems to me a pointless exercise vegging for a month before flowering when it makes no difference to your final yields.
You add in yields, VEG time is gonna make a difference in yields as you mentioned in your first post.

The plants no mater if you start 12/12 from seedling or not, cannabis plants wont flower until they are fully mature. So more light grows more biomass = bigger yields.

12/12 lighting is how it is at the equator.

Take a look at equatorial grown cannabis - they have a LONG flowering time.

So for me I think you question is more complicated. Some strains will do better than others.

As soon as you mention yields you need to bring length of growing time...

Can think of this as total lumens a plant requires to grow mature flower and harvest.

Add all those lumens up get a total. Some plants will need more than others.

For instance plants in VEG are growing larger because of more photosynthesis.

I wood think 12/12 from seed the plants wont get the biomass given the same time period and genetics as a plant that was VEG'd 18/6.

And I too have solar panels so the extra expense isn't a thing. I also do 24/0 from Seedling up to 3 weeks then go into 18/6.

You gew that malawi - that's an equatorial sativa. They take a long time to flower. You don't mention time or how long the flowering time was.

I think you have a couple of ideas confused or at least conflated
if you are doing 12/12 from day one, you are already vegging them as is
most do 18/6 then "FLIP" to 12/12 to flower

now as a small grower and only for personal use and edification and the reason why this thread caught my attention is a often over looked consideration.

If you veg till they are "trees" and then flip you will still see between 2 and 6 inches of vertical growth out of a healthy plant. This is always my issue, I let them veg too long and end up with TREES outgrowing my enclosure and forcing me to decide between moving them outside(risky legally) or cutting off the tops and making them fit as they are too tall to do any of the voodoo that some do roping them down and making tree art with Bonsai weed.

My grows are in a convenient location for me, IE in a bathroom sharing the space next to a walk in shower and a window I don't use a "tent" but a hodgepodge of a rolling shelf unit with Mylar backing and lights as required in or on the top as they get too tall, and another reason why I hope that BESTVA gets ahead of the game and modifies them cables so we can adjust the hanging length to suit needs

every day I try to learn something about this stuff, and there is so much I just still dont know
I had to remove their system and make my own from that fancy light chain they sell at hardware stores (Thanks for the idea, @BooWho2 )

if you are doing 12/12 from day one, you are already vegging them as is
most do 18/6 then "FLIP" to 12/12 to flower

it was common for commercial underground grows to go 12/12 from the go.

they mostly had access to, or made their own seed, so seed stock was not an issue. the grows were mostly sog style, with the males getting culled at the first time they showed sex. the females simply flowered as soon as they were mature enough on the light sched.

yield from each plant was obviously lower, it's a one plant one cola grow, but the weight got made up in the sheer number of plants. i still know a couple folk who do it this way, though it is not so common in home grows, and it won't lend itself to legal growing in most places.

This has been an interesting (and mostly civil) discussion.

Kudos to all the participants!

I have experimented side by side with 12/12 -18/6 veg many, many times. The answer to what is better? it depends...
If ; saving electric cost, staying in a small grow space, and fastest harvest are your goals/12/12 is for you
If ; If you are limited on plant count not space, want higher yield per year, or growing auto flower strain 18/6 veg.

You veged mowi 12/12 for 4 weeks and yielded 118g.
I grew 4 mowi clones simultaneously.

Two veged 12/12 for 4 weeks and 2 18/6 for 6 weeks. 24 hours of dark to kick in flower 1 and a half weeks before first hairs popped out, then 10 weeks to harvest.
12/12 took 15.5 weeks total to yield 160G
18/6 took 17.5 weeks total to yield 425G

So 18/6 used 420 more hours of light energy cost (funny coincidence), took an extra two weeks to harvest, Used 50% more space but 2 and a half times the yield.

Every book on growing cannabis you would have read will have stated that plants have to be vegged for a minimum of 4 weeks before switching to flowering but does this actually make any sense ? By the way let me add a proviso here, if you are one of these people who like to grow trees and veg your plants for two months or more before flowering this thread isnt for you carry on as you are but if like most home growers who have had a quick read of a cultivation book and only veg their plants for 4 weeks before initiating flowering then carry on reading.
I grow 12/12 from seed and have been doing so for years now but before going the 12/12 route I too for many years used to waste valuable time and electricity in vegging my plants for 4 weeks before flowering and since begining to use the 12/12 from seed method the one thing that has really caught my attention is the fact that it doesnt make a blind bit of difference to your final yields whether you veg for 4 weeks or not and in fact in many cases it seems to me g..oing the 12/12 from seed route provides you with denser bud and an increased yield than the traditional method.
to illustrate my point I carried out a little experiment, although I dont normally veg my plants I decided to veg 3 plants for 30 days before flowering and one plant I grew 12/12 from seed. have a look at the pictures of the 4 plants below, 3 were vegged for 30 days and one was grown 12/12 from seed, can anyone tell which is which ?

When you start a plant under a 12/12 regimen the plant doesnt just begin flowering right away, it still veges itself for a month before the flowering process begins anyway and since it doesnt make any difference to your final yields why waste an extra 6 hours of electricity a day for four weeks before begining to flower ?, it makes no sense.
Being a 12/12 from seed grower I'm so used to my grows finishing in 10 weeks (unless of course I am growing a pure sativa) that because of the extra month I spent in vegging these 3 plants this particular grow seemed to just go on forever, I certainly wouldnt be doing that again.

Hello there, CDXXNOW here. I am also a 12/12 from seed to harvest grower. I found that most plants do not need and do not want a lengthy light on period, especially autofems. They tend to wilt after long light sessions. So I adopted this method. 12/12 for 4 weeks from germination (heads busted open) and week 5 preflower to 11/13 from week 6 until harvest. I found that autofems and now with my current grow of photo periods that they really explode in growth when they are well rested, properly fed and looking for light to synthesize all that stored energy from the longer dark periods. I finish in and sometimes under ten weeks for photos and especially for autofems. Basically, 4 weeks from seedling then 1week at preflower under 12/12 then 11/13 for up to 5 weeks until harvest. That's 5 weeks at 12/12 and 5 weeks at 11/13. When I started learning how to grow the consensus was more light the better, WRONG. I was vegging way to long and under a too long of a light period and my girls suffered from it also. For example, excessive trimming, LST and slower growth from recovering from the extra stress. But now... The plants love it and my wallet really loves it. Pls, check out my grow shows at your leisure. Thanks for reading this reply.

Hello there, CDXXNOW here. I am also a 12/12 from seed to harvest grower. I found that most plants do not need and do not want a lengthy light on period, especially autofems. They tend to wilt after long light sessions. So I adopted this method. 12/12 for 4 weeks from germination (heads busted open) and week 5 preflower to 11/13 from week 6 until harvest. I found that autofems and now with my current grow of photo periods that they really explode in growth when they are well rested, properly fed and looking for light to synthesize all that stored energy from the longer dark periods. I finish in and sometimes under ten weeks for photos and especially for autofems. Basically, 4 weeks from seedling then 1week at preflower under 12/12 then 11/13 for up to 5 weeks until harvest. That's 5 weeks at 12/12 and 5 weeks at 11/13. When I started learning how to grow the consensus was more light the better, WRONG. I was vegging way to long and under a too long of a light period and my girls suffered from it also. For example, excessive trimming, LST and slower growth from recovering from the extra stress. But now... The plants love it and my wallet really loves it. Pls, check out my grow shows at your leisure. Thanks for reading this reply.
Btw, I basically only grow indicas and indica dominant hybrids.

Umm no, not "wrong" just different.

I veg for 6 to 8 weeks at 24/0 for two weeks and 20/4 for about 5 weeks and 18/6 for a week or so.
My plants stay praying the entire time and grow like bamboo.

You just have to have everything dialed in to handle lots of light.

Umm no, not "wrong" just different.

I veg for 6 to 8 weeks at 24/0 for two weeks and 20/4 for about 5 weeks and 18/6 for a week or so.
My plants stay praying the entire time and grow like bamboo.

You just have to have everything dialed in to handle lots of light.
Well, yeah... But wrong for me in a tent with leds. Didn't mean for every grow. Like I want to veg one outdoor plant in a 3ft squared raised bed with coco coir under a scog setup for the long day hours to maximize veg growth laterally for a sprawling scrog. Taking maximum height to maximum lateral growth for maximum bud production.

I have experimented side by side with 12/12 -18/6 veg many, many times. The answer to what is better? it depends...
If ; saving electric cost, staying in a small grow space, and fastest harvest are your goals/12/12 is for you
If ; If you are limited on plant count not space, want higher yield per year, or growing auto flower strain 18/6 veg.

You veged mowi 12/12 for 4 weeks and yielded 118g.
I grew 4 mowi clones simultaneously.

Two veged 12/12 for 4 weeks and 2 18/6 for 6 weeks. 24 hours of dark to kick in flower 1 and a half weeks before first hairs popped out, then 10 weeks to harvest.
12/12 took 15.5 weeks total to yield 160G
18/6 took 17.5 weeks total to yield 425G

So 18/6 used 420 more hours of light energy cost (funny coincidence), took an extra two weeks to harvest, Used 50% more space but 2 and a half times the yield.

"I grew 4 mowi clones simultaneously"

Clones, by their very definition, defeat the whole idea and purpose of 12/12 from seed, the name "12/12 from seed" should give you the idea of the purpose behind the whole exercise. Peace.

Well, yeah... But wrong for me in a tent with leds. Didn't mean for every grow. Like I want to veg one outdoor plant in a 3ft squared raised bed with coco coir under a scog setup for the long day hours to maximize veg growth laterally for a sprawling scrog. Taking maximum height to maximum lateral growth for maximum bud production.
Imagine, if you will, a veg period of 2-3 months laterally could mean a sprawl of up to 10 or more feet. Under FREE LIGHT the SUN, the brightest and bestest for veg growth.

First of all I dont really think you are meant to flower autos on less than 18hrs of light otherwise you seriously cut down on your own harvest yields and secondly since cannabis needs a minimum of 12 hrs of darkness to flower you can only provide your flowering plants with 12 hrs of light in a 24hr day so why cut that down even further to 11hrs?, still, whatever works for you.

First of all I dont really think you are meant to flower autos on less than 18hrs of light otherwise you seriously cut down on your own harvest yields and secondly since cannabis needs a minimum of 12 hrs of darkness to flower you can only provide your flowering plants with 12 hrs of light in a 24hr day so why cut that down even further to 11hrs?, still, whatever works for you.
Look at my results at... My 1st Time Super LED Grow Show A/F's

Back
Top Bottom