Electrical Wiring Help Needed Please

You can install a 60 amp breaker in an existing circuit (just replace a little-used one) then run your 8 gauge wire (what a 40 amp circuit needs) to your shed then install your 40 amp box. Just get wire rated for underground use and bury it deep enough so it will stay buried. There's no need for conduit.
Not very hard to do. Google it or ask a farmer (this is how one adds electricity to a shed on a farm) on how to do it.

You can install a 60 amp breaker in an existing circuit (just replace a little-used one) then run your 8 gauge wire (what a 40 amp circuit needs) to your shed then install your 40 amp box. Just get wire rated for underground use and bury it deep enough so it will stay buried. There's no need for conduit.
Not very hard to do. Google it or ask a farmer (this is how one adds electricity to a shed on a farm) on how to do it.
My original plan was to use No 6 Direct Burial Wire but we'll see when it comes time to run it to the Main Breaker Box. I have at least 2-3 weekends of work in the shed to do before I get that far.
The Sub Panel I bought for the Shed is a GE Power Mark Gold Load Center. It has 8 Slots / 16 circuits. It's rated at 125 Amps.
I'm guessing that means I can use it for just 60 Amps since that's all I need. I also bought 3 - 15 Amp & 1 - 20 Amp Breaker for it to run everything in the shed. There will be a 2nd Sub Panel in the Laundry Room that will have 1 - 50 Amp Breaker going to the Shed (I doubt I'll ever need that much power / more like 30 Amps tops) but I'd rather have extra than not enough. There will also be 1 or 2 -15 Amp Breakers in it to connect the wires I remove from the main since I have no Open spots.
The 2 Slots I remove from the Main Breaker will get a 60 Amp Breaker installed to power the sub panel in the Laundry Room & then onto the shed.

I agree with conduit instead of direct burial. You will need a ground rod at the shed. All sub panels must be grounded. The Neutral bar and the ground bar needs to be separated at the small panel in the shed.
OK, I'm guessing the Bar on the left of center in the pic is the Neutral Bar & I have to buy / add a Bus Bar for the Ground Wires ? Black wire connects to the Breaker.
00505_dKiY2Uy7OAq_600x450.jpg
00f0f_dWBWW9TAKs9_600x450.jpg
00I0I_2i10GV0H16G_600x450.jpg

OK, I'm guessing the Bar on the left of center in the pic is the Neutral Bar & I have to buy / add a Bus Bar for the Ground Wires ? Black wire connects to the Breaker.
00505_dKiY2Uy7OAq_600x450.jpg
00f0f_dWBWW9TAKs9_600x450.jpg
00I0I_2i10GV0H16G_600x450.jpg
Upper left is neutral. You need a ground bar. The ground bar will go directly to case. Left is phase A right is Phase B.

Picked up a Ground Bar at Home Depot last night. They didn't have a G.E. one so I bought a Square D one. Going to look for the right one but this gives me something to work with til I find it. I know this one will work as long as I don't get it inspected; but I still want to do it right.
So today I start the electric in the shed. I'll post some pics tomorrow after it's wired.

Turns out Home Depot has the right ground bar "On-Line". You have to have it shipped to store so ordering it today. I got all my holes drilled to run wires. That took a while ... longer than expected.
Got about 1/2 the receptacles wired & ran to the sub panel yesterday. Ran short on 12/2 so have to get another 50' of it today. But it's Super Bowl Sunday so I probably wont get much done after I smoke a "SUPER BOWL" & watch the game.
*** GO K.C. *** Not a K.C. fan ... just my choice between the 2.

Turns out Home Depot has the right ground bar "On-Line". You have to have it shipped to store so ordering it today. I got all my holes drilled to run wires. That took a while ... longer than expected.
Got about 1/2 the receptacles wired & ran to the sub panel yesterday. Ran short on 12/2 so have to get another 50' of it today. But it's Super Bowl Sunday so I probably wont get much done after I smoke a "SUPER BOWL" & watch the game.
*** GO K.C. *** Not a K.C. fan ... just my choice between the 2.
Sounds like you are on the way to have a heck of a nice shed to grow in. I'm sure in between the stories about the houses the players bought for their parents (the gawd-awful human interest stories) you'll have plenty of time today to get it done.

OK guys, I got the wiring ran for the outlets up to the sub panel. Here's what I have.
Pic 1: The Sub Panel with the 12/2 wires hanging out that are labeled. (Waiting on correct Ground Bar)
Pic 2: Shows the way all the outlet wiring runs.
Pic 3: Shows the 3 outlets on the right that will go on 1 - 15 Amp Breaker (2 in grow room & 1 in Main Area).
Pic 4: Shows 3 outlets on back wall (the 1 on the right is 1 of the 3 that were in the last pic)
The 1 in the Middle is for the A/C & it runs all by itself to the box & will go on a 20 Amp Breaker.
(The one on the left is in the next pic).
Pic 5: Shows the 3 outlets on the Left side of the shed (2 in grow room & 1 in Main Area) (15 Amp Breaker)
***There will be no outlets in the add on area. Only a light.***
Putting 1 dedicated line / outlet next to sub panel for power tools once in a while. (15 Amp Breaker)

Does all this seem OK to you guys so far ???
E 27.JPG
E 28.JPG
E 29.JPG
E 30.JPG
E 38.JPG

Here's the part I'm having trouble with wiring. I want to put in 3 lights all with their own switches & the Ceiling light in the Grow Room will have an outlet above it to run the exhaust fan. Here's some pics to help you understand what I'm trying to do. I've mounted the light boxes & switch boxes so you can see things more clearly.
Pic 1: This is the Main room Light & Switch box that's near the Breaker Box.
Pic 2: This is the Add On Room Light & Switch Box (The wire you see coming through the wall is where the light is)
Pic 3: This is where the Grow Room Light Box with Outlet Box above it & Light Switch are located.
***I want the outlet box to have continuous power while the light works by the switch.***
Pic 4: More of Grow Room Light situation
Pic 5: Is a Diagram I drew of the electrical. I want to tie all 3 lights & the outlet together to run on 1 Breaker but all 3 lights still work by their own switch.
I'm somewhat confused on how to accomplish this.
Any help in this area is deeply appreciated !!!
Here's the pics...
E 35.JPG
E 36.JPG
E 34.JPG
E 33.JPG
E 42.JPG

These last couple Pics are just where I started Foaming & Caulking things in. Shouldn't have to worry much about Scorpions & other pests by time I'm done. Ran into another Scorpion yesterday on the wall behind some insulation. Worried about these because the are the Bark Scorpions which are poisonous.
E 39.JPG
E 40.JPG
E 41.JPG

Well guys, Hope to get some of your expertise on how to wire the lights. Once that's done I can insulate & put up the interior walls. Not sure what the board is called but it's the same type of board used for pegboard but without the holes. I'll be spray adhesiv-ing 2 ml. Mylar to the wall boards prior to hanging them & then sealing the seams with Foil Tape. Then my friend ... We're in Business !!!

Well guys, Hope to get some of your expertise on how to wire the lights. Once that's done I can insulate & put up the interior walls. Not sure what the board is called but it's the same type of board used for pegboard but without the holes. I'll be spray adhesiv-ing 2 ml. Mylar to the wall boards prior to hanging them & then sealing the seams with Foil Tape. Then my friend ... We're in Business !!!
Here are some links to a very complete guide to wiring Electrical guide for wiring a house, codes, and common electrical questions
Common Electrical Wiring Diagrams

Frequently Asked Electrical Questions

Wire Gauge and Voltage Drop Calculator

NEC Reference Tables (2014, 2011, 2008, 2005, 2002, and 1999)

Electrical - The Basics

Residential Electrical Guidelines and Codes

Rough-In Electrical and Pulling Cable

Breakers and Fuses

Wire Types and Sizing

Sizing Your Electrical Service

Electrical - Main Service Line Installation

Fire/Smoke Alarm Installation

Doorbell Wiring

Phone Wiring

Low-Voltage Wiring

Cable Pinouts

It might help.

So does the Receptacle Wiring I did look right to you ? Just the yellow wiring. The white was already there & is being removed. 3 Outlets on each line but only 2 will really be used on each (the ones in the grow room). And the A/C on it's own line.
The lights are pretty much the same situation ... use 5 minutes here & there. But the outlet for exhaust fan will be used 24/7.

From what others have said the Ground & Neutrals have to be separated in the sub panel in the shed & the sub panel has to have it's own ground rod. I've already bought the clamp type ground connector to go on the water pipe since it's on the front side of the shed about 10' from the sub panel. I also ordered the Ground Bar that I need to pick up from Home Depot. I'm guessing the wires have to be separated because it's a sub panel. Something to do with the Neutral side being phase 1 & the Ground side phase 2.

Going to wire the lights today so I'll post pics afterward to confirm all looks good. Running the No 6 to the house will be on hold till I get the rest of the shed itself completed. Keeping my eye on EBAY & Offer Up for a deal on the wire. If I were able to use 6/2 the cost would only be around $130. But 6/3 is almost double that. So I'll look for a deal while finishing other stuff & if I find one I'll jump on it.

Back
Top Bottom