Emmie's DIY CalMagPhos+ From Eggshells

A note on the eggshells...
are you peeling the inside membrane from the shells? It is a pain to do, but it really makes for a cleaner product in the end. No harm if you dont, but one thing I learned is that membrane is one of the best natural bandages known to humankind. Next time you get a cut or a scrape or burn that you need to deal with, peel out a membrane and put the sterile side down on the cut. You will be amazed. The nutrients and growth hormones in this bandage will cut the normal healing time by 66%.

Good one didn't know that. Yes I peel it off in the raw eggshells I collect. I use the membrane in onions for wounds (also good for warts with phosphorus added too ) works !

Wasn't me, but I have advised people about using coco as a passive hydro by aerating the nutrient mix and watering twice a day after reading how it is done. Since you would usually be adding synthetic nutrients to a hydro setup, I could not consider it to be organic growing, but that is ok, synthetics work too.

Check out this thread for how to use coco... I got a lot out of this one:

How I grow in coco Youtube videos and pics
When you mentioned this, I was thinking teas or fish extract-type liquid ferts, aerated, instead of synthetic... Could that not work in almost any hydro setup? I know nothing about hydroponics!

Today is day 20 of our fermentation and our cal/phos mixture should be ready. Note the distinct layers that the calcium and the phosphorus have settled into:

DSCF5654.JPG

There seems to have been a little bit of fluid loss in this conversion process, but not much, and after filtering I ended up with this much in the bottle.
DSCF5655.JPG

Then, in order to make a good all around supplement, molasses was added to fill up the bottle.

DSCF5656.JPG

Here we have our complete, Cal-Phos-Mag-Plus supplement. I will start using this the watering before the flip, and will continue for weeks 1-2 of flower, and then again on weeks 5 and 6, along with the proper flowering or growth extract and fish emulsion. So far, results in both gardens, inside and out, show that the natural organic nutrients are working much better than anything I have ever bought commercially. It is more work producing your own, but along with the significant cost savings, the end products are better than what they can bottle and leave on the shelf to sell... our mixes are alive and active, theirs are cooked and dead by the time you get them. Try this. It is not hard, and I am betting that the results will leave you as stunned as I have been.

This is the end of the instructional part of this thread... from here on out will be any comments about the effectiveness or use of the product in my gardens. I will be using this product as I described for the next several rounds of gardens, and by that time I should have more info about how it works. Until then, I wish you luck in your own efforts to divorce yourself from the dependence on commercial companies to supply you your nutrients... everything you need is in your kitchen and your backyard or can be brewed up from common materials. All it takes is a little bit of science, faith in mother nature and a whole lot of love, and you can do this too!
The Greenest of all Blessings from my gardens to yours,
Sense Emilya
This is great. I've been looking for a definitive DIY cal/mag recipe; this is perfect. I currently do the same prep on my eggshell.. They are stored in a tin in a storage compartment at the bottom of my oven. When enough has collected, goes into the oven to cook not-quite black, then into a blender. This goes into every soil mix (I recycle), and is added as top dress; and will be fed to worms when I build my worm farm..
How long will that mix keep?
And do you have a soil mix recipe? I read you use sub cools super soil... Is that right?
Thanks! Took me a while to look you up... Very glad I did, now..

When you mentioned this, I was thinking teas or fish extract-type liquid ferts, aerated, instead of synthetic... Could that not work in almost any hydro setup? I know nothing about hydroponics!

This is great. I've been looking for a definitive DIY cal/mag recipe; this is perfect. I currently do the same prep on my eggshell.. They are stored in a tin in a storage compartment at the bottom of my oven. When enough has collected, goes into the oven to cook not-quite black, then into a blender. This goes into every soil mix (I recycle), and is added as top dress; and will be fed to worms when I build my worm farm..
How long will that mix keep?
And do you have a soil mix recipe? I read you use sub cools super soil... Is that right?
Thanks! Took me a while to look you up... Very glad I did, now..

The problem with AACT is that it is messy. You are actually trying to grow slimy gooey thick living ooze... and trying to get that to be stable in a hydro setup, or even able to be pumped through the system, would be problematic. AACT brews are just too thick and full of particles. If I were to do hydro, I would want laboratory clean... sort of the opposite of my organic operation.

Yes, I am using Subcool's recipe for my soil, and I mixed up about 50 gallons over a year ago and have been using it ever since. I also combine ideas provided by The Rev in his book, talking about true living organics, and I use spikes of pure nutrients in various places in my containers. These spikes are my equivalent of supercharging my soil collection after growing in it, and other than plant debris, I add nothing else to my soil mix. I trust the Subcool mix and do not want to get it out of balance by adding stuff like eggshells or other cool ideas that I read about. My rule is if it isn't needed by the plant full time, it doesn't belong in the soil, it belongs in a supplement instead. My cal-mag-phos mix should last indefinitely... and it indeed appears to stay vital until I use it all up... I am making my third and biggest batch now, since I have a breakfast event coming up where we will go through 60 dozen eggs... this will be my winter supplies. :)

I guess that make senses re the particles etc through pumps etc... I admit, I am thinking basic, hand watering... Didn't think of the slime factor! I just can't get the ingredients for Subcools mix here in Australia so I kinda wing it, with a view to recycling, so lots of EWC and compost... Always looking for good, easy organic stuff and as luck would have it, found your dandelion recipes (in your magic link), so will be doing that for sure. Have you ever used coral before? Would coral make calcium also, or better in chunks for aeration etc do you think..
Thanks!

I guess that make senses re the particles etc through pumps etc... I admit, I am thinking basic, hand watering... Didn't think of the slime factor! I just can't get the ingredients for Subcools mix here in Australia so I kinda wing it, with a view to recycling, so lots of EWC and compost... Always looking for good, easy organic stuff and as luck would have it, found your dandelion recipes (in your magic link), so will be doing that for sure. Have you ever used coral before? Would coral make calcium also, or better in chunks for aeration etc do you think..
Thanks!

I would think coral would work just fine... just as ground up seashells would. You can also take bone, (beef/pork/chicken etc) and cook it just like the eggshells... just about the same amounts of calcium and phosphorus result. I just find that eggshells are a lot easier to grind up than the other alternatives, and I think it breaks down a little faster in the vinegar. Again, I don't add that stuff to my soil, because i know that by the time it starts to break down and be usable, this grow will already have been harvested.

There are many good recipes out there for super soil and I know I have seen a coastal recipe that used a lot of things available in ocean front communities... keep looking and you will find it. A soil doesnt have to be subcools or the rev's to be good... it just has to be balanced correctly and have the proper absorption and flow through rates, which at my present level of knowledge, is way beyond my capabilities. I leave the soil design to the scientists who understand Mulder's chart and the ability of soil to hold nutrients... I just follow common sense from that point on, adding back all my debris, keeping the soil moist and alive and trusting nature to take care of it all for me.

I love the idea of organic soil and try it myself in my own sloppy way a lot. What I never understand is why too many organic nutrients in the soil is a bad thing, I always thought that plants took what they needed and discarded what they didn't need until it was needed, layers or spikes makes me think that a plant has to be grown to perfect timing to be able to use those spikes to potential, maybe in the perfect world that's possible but not in mine. I can't see any one soil caring for all plants, spiked, layered or mixed up. Have you anything against the 'throw all possibly needed nutrients into the mix' theory other than the Nitrogen heavy v PK heavy? Two soils would be like splitting the spikes maybe, but spikes seem impossible to work out as I can't see how different environments allow root growth to be the same rate that spikes would be timed right :thumb:

I love the idea of organic soil and try it myself in my own sloppy way a lot. What I never understand is why too many organic nutrients in the soil is a bad thing, I always thought that plants took what they needed and discarded what they didn't need until it was needed, layers or spikes makes me think that a plant has to be grown to perfect timing to be able to use those spikes to potential, maybe in the perfect world that's possible but not in mine. I can't see any one soil caring for all plants, spiked, layered or mixed up. Have you anything against the 'throw all possibly needed nutrients into the mix' theory other than the Nitrogen heavy v PK heavy? Two soils would be like splitting the spikes maybe, but spikes seem impossible to work out as I can't see how different environments allow root growth to be the same rate that spikes would be timed right :thumb:

I don't know as much about soils as I wish I did, but I am learning fast. Look up Mulders chart of mineral interactions for how various things in your soil balance against each other... too much of this is as bad as not enough of that. It really is fascinating, especially when you look at absorption abilities, flow through and the ability to actually store nutrients. This is why I for now stick to recipes. Too many people get in trouble making up their own mixes that sound great on the drawing board, but later on in the grow cause problems of one kind or another.

I should have asked above, but just thought of it.
Em- Do you know the PH of the resulting brew?

Mine is about a week or two from being done, but it just tested at 4.98

I'm also using an experimental symbiotic culture in my recipe so I am expecting that figure to rise slightly over time. I didn't make a control jar without the added culture so it would be great if someone could post a figure from theirs. :geek:

I was hoping the egg shells would help neutralize the vinegar. Good to know it came up to the 5 range. I believe cider vinegar is 3.0-3.5.

Im looking forward to brewing some of this up but just a quick question how important is the choice in vinegar? While ordinary white vinegar still do essentially the same job?
Thanks

Sent from my E5823 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Im looking forward to brewing some of this up but just a quick question how important is the choice in vinegar? While ordinary white vinegar still do essentially the same job?
Sure, it will dissolve the eggshell just fine... but the reason I use the natural organic apple cider vinegar is for the extra things that are in it, the vitamins, protein enzymes, amino acids and other complex compounds that come with the natural "live" raw and unfiltered product. All by itself, the natural vinegar provides 704mg of potassium, in addition to what will be provided by the burned eggshells.

Back
Top Bottom