First CFL Grow - Northern Lights x Purple Kush - Interested?

hi mate, alls looking good, the twisted leaves i get on mine are usually when i re-veg a plant or clone if im monster cropping and it throws out loads of leaves like that, are you sure no light is getting in during the dark period, this could cause this,
if thats not the case then dont worry to much, looks like heat stress or possiblt a hot spot on that part of plant, try turning the plant pot a quater of a turn each day if you can, i try and turn mine each day to get the light into places it dont get when its facing the one way,

hi mate, alls looking good, the twisted leaves i get on mine are usually when i re-veg a plant or clone if im monster cropping and it throws out loads of leaves like that, are you sure no light is getting in during the dark period, this could cause this,
if thats not the case then dont worry to much, looks like heat stress or possiblt a hot spot on that part of plant, try turning the plant pot a quater of a turn each day if you can, i try and turn mine each day to get the light into places it dont get when its facing the one way,

Thank you for your response. I'm going to say it was a heat issue (with cfl's at that). I adjusted my lights again, and she seemed to like that. Her leaves flattened out, and she looked "relaxed." The burnt tips on the leaves have not spread any further, so again i'm guessing the issue corrected itself. Since shes been flowering, i've been spending ALOT of time with her lol. I'm loving the transformation.

Just wanted to post a couple of up to date pics. I did have to adjust my lights some more and that seemed to solve the problem with the leaves canoeing. Any questions, suggestions, or comments are welcomed as always. TIA.

Top view of her in her grow cabinet
IMG_097112.JPG

This cola seems to stick out more than the rest.
IMG_096910.JPG

Same cola, different angle
IMG_096710.JPG

So pretty plant! You seem to be about a week ahead of me in the flowering process.

The LST really worked wonders for you! :thumb:

I appreciate the compliment. I'd say i'm like day 11 or 12 of actual flowering. I started my 12/12 light cycle on July 1. I saw the first pre flowers within a week. The LST worked a little too well lol. My plant is so bushy, she doesn't have enough room in her cabinet with the door fully shut. I have leave it open for her. That helps keeping the temps down. My next grow i will be looking into a lot of different things, mainly building a better enclosure. All of the knowledge i have gained during this grow will mos def show in my future grows. :)

Howdy all. Day 15 of flowering, and i just wanted to give a quick update on my little lady. Plus, I got an actual camera now, and I like the clarity of the pictures compared to my iphone. To keep things interested, i will only post "bud shots" of one specific cola. That way you can watch a specific cola develop rather than guessing. Hope that makes sense to you guys. It did to me as i was saying it in my head lol. Anyways back to my little one. Canoeing of the leaves is starting to occur again. This time i'm almost positive it's not heat related. It's only the new top growth that's effected. My cfl's are about 6" away from the top of her. So i'm starving her of some light thinking it was temps. I plan on making some mods to her home today. I will also be doing a few ph test. I would love to solve this problem. Other than that, she's healthy. Thanks for reading all of this babble (if you actually did) lol. Any comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed. TIA

"main cola" shot with new camera
100_18682.JPG

Same cola, different angle
100_18642.JPG

100_18513.JPG
100_18673.JPG

hey no problem my friend, i feel privaliged to be able to pass on what i have learned and read, so if i can pass on some info that helps others then that makes it all worth while, your plant looks totally amazing, looks real healthy, by the looks of it your going to be onto some nice bud when you finished.

you know the lights you are using, well in the top pic they look like the blue light the 6400 or 6500k cfls, is this what you are using or are you using a mixture, now your into flower the best cfl to use is the cheaper and easier to get 2700k cfls, the orange looking light, these are the ones you have around the house, they look the same as them but give off an orange light, so if you have some of these or get to a super market then buy a load of the cheaper 2700k cfls, most shops only stock the 2700k ones as the others are more work light that house light, so super markets usually sell them but at lower watts so you might only get 20watt, so you can add some of these to them lights your using, or just swap them out, the 2700k are more for flower and the 6400 and 6500 k cfl are for veg, a mixture of the 2 for both stages is best but use more of the veg bulbs in veg and more of the flower bulbs in flower, so have 2 x 2700k to every 1 6400k cfl for flower, that will give you the best chance to have some nice dense buds, but by the looks of your plant it looks like your doing ok.

its just the 6400k cfls promote leaf growth and if you used the 2700k in veg then this casues the plants to stretch, so using a mixture of the 2 is the best option, a 2 to 1 ratio for veg and flower,

Hey donpaul.p, thanks for the response. I am currently running 3 2700k, and 1 6500k cfls. I only let the 6500k stay on for about 6 hours a day due to the heat. The bulbs are only 26 actual watts a piece. My next grow I will be using strong flowering type bulbs. Again, thanks for your response.

hi easeedoesit your grow is looking fab great colour she looks..i also have a small problem with turning up leafs.i guessed it was heat stress on mine as my veging plants are fine but flowering ones are suffering a little bit.my flowering girls are under 400 hps lights and veging plants are on cfls with no problems.both tents are in the same room i keep door open to my flowering girls most of the night when lights are running this hasnt caused my veging girls to turn up.so ive put it down to heat.if anyone knows ant other reason let me know.keep up the grow lad:peace:

Hey Easeedoesit you are progressing beautifully, Keep up the good work :)

I have some of that leaf canoeing on new growth too and have noticed that when the temperature or the Humidity is a little lower or below average this does not happen.

I've come to the conclusion that it is just that New growth would be far more sensitive to heat or low humidity than older of larger leaves as the new growth is far more soft and supple and the moisture could be removed or transpired far quicker than it is being replaced from these parts as they are very sensitive.

This would cause the new growth to be slightly drier than it should be, resulting in them deforming and folding in.

What is your average temperature and humidity ?

Hope this helped somewhat :)

:peace:

Hey Easeedoesit you are progressing beautifully, Keep up the good work :)

I have some of that leaf canoeing on new growth too and have noticed that when the temperature or the Humidity is a little lower or below average this does not happen.

I've come to the conclusion that it is just that New growth would be far more sensitive to heat or low humidity than older of larger leaves as the new growth is far more soft and supple and the moisture could be removed or transpired far quicker than it is being replaced from these parts as they are very sensitive.

This would cause the new growth to be slightly drier than it should be, resulting in them deforming and folding in.

What is your average temperature and humidity ?

Hope this helped somewhat :)

Thanks Greeenfingers!! Common sense is something that's missed when your looking for a complicate answer. I would of never thought that. Us newbies need guys like you around that are willing to share ANY kind of info that could be beneficial. Now to answer your questions, my lights on temp is steady at 88 (f), and humidity 60-65%. Night temps are steady at 73 (f), and humidity jumps to 80%. I was a little concerned that the night temp and humidity made it too warm in there but was told that was fine. Again, my plant is overall healthy and I haven't had any problems with her. Thanks for saving me some hair as I was pulling it out trying to figure this out.

hi easeedoesit your grow is looking fab great colour she looks..i also have a small problem with turning up leafs.i guessed it was heat stress on mine as my veging plants are fine but flowering ones are suffering a little bit.my flowering girls are under 400 hps lights and veging plants are on cfls with no problems.both tents are in the same room i keep door open to my flowering girls most of the night when lights are running this hasnt caused my veging girls to turn up.so ive put it down to heat.if anyone knows ant other reason let me know.keep up the grow lad:peace:

Thank you for your compliment. There has been a few guys that have helped me a lot. Hope they don't mind me doing this. Greeenfingers, donpaul.p, smokemupm8, and NLnovice (don't let the novice part fool you)(lol). They have steered me in the right direction plenty of times. Hope this helps. Happy growing!!

Thanks Greeenfingers!! Common sense is something that's missed when your looking for a complicate answer. I would of never thought that. Us newbies need guys like you around that are willing to share ANY kind of info that could be beneficial. Now to answer your questions, my lights on temp is steady at 88 (f), and humidity 60-65%. Night temps are steady at 73 (f), and humidity jumps to 80%. I was a little concerned that the night temp and humidity made it too warm in there but was told that was fine. Again, my plant is overall healthy and I haven't had any problems with her. Thanks for saving me some hair as I was pulling it out trying to figure this out.

Your problem is clear :)

A temperature of 88f ( 31c ) is way too hot for the plants to be comfortable. The leaf curling started happening to me when I hit 86f ( 30c ) at these temperatures plant growth slows and it begins to transpire very rapidly. These temperatures can be fine for Veg but not for flower, its just too much stress.

Between 79f-81f ( 26c-27c ) is ideal for optimum plant growth, maximum would be 82.5f ( 28c )

If you can increase your ventilation to reach as low as those numbers everything should go back to normal.

Your night temperature is warm but it should not be a problem :)

Your humidity at 60-65% could be manageable for now but around 50% would be ideal for day time.

Night humidity at 80% is an extreme problem, especially because you are in flower, you might not notice anything now but if the humidity gets that high when you are late into flower you greatly increase your chances of Mould and Bud Rot - ( Botrytis cinerea )
Plants are most susceptible to this in the last 1 - 2 weeks of Flowering.

An osculating fan in the grow room blowing on the plants could help prevent this (somewhat) but at the end of the day that Humidity needs to be lowered to an acceptable level.

Have you thought about investing in a De-Humidifier ? It would be highly recommended, It really would prevent all risk of mould later in flowering, I picked one up for about €100 that can remove up to 10 litres of water from the air per day. I don't know what I would do without it.

I live in Ireland, Over here relative humidity outside in general all year round is an average of 90% :thedoubletake: so I understand what it is like to battle Humidity ha ha

I'm happy to help you out Easeedoesit I will do my best to answer any questions etc. that you might have :)

Peace

Bud rot and mold doesn't sound appealing to me lol. I'm looking into de-humidifiers now. Glad i was told this before it was too late. Thanks for saving my buds in advance (they thank you too) :thanks:

Howdy all! It's day 21/22 of flowering for me and just wanted to give a quick update. I bought a little dehumidifier for my walk in closet (where i keep my grow cabinet), and i also bought a container of Damp-rid for my cabinet. Doing this i was able to get lights on humidity to 50- 53%, and lights off no higher than 60%. Thanks again GreeenFingers. Still would like to work on getting it a little lower. But i cant control the humid summer we are having here. Anyways, she's doing really good. Bud sights are starting to frost up, and some purple is showing deep within a couple of colas. I was happy to see this. Ill try to get pics, but you have to be right up on my plant to see it, and my camera is good, but not great lol. Here are a couple of pictures taken today. Any questions, suggestions, or comments are always welcomed. TIA

Top view of plant
100_19163.jpg

Heres a profile shot
100_19171.jpg

Next few images are different profiles of the "main cola"
100_19157.jpg
100_19113.jpg
100_19134.jpg
100_19144.jpg

Back
Top Bottom