First CFL Grow - Northern Lights x Purple Kush - Interested?

Beautiful plant and a great start,
I am subscribed and curious to see how this goes.
Keep up the good work.

Thank for the compliment, and for following. Please feel free to leave any suggestions. If you have any questions about my grow, ask and I'll answer.

Everything looks really well :goodjob:

If I was you I would FIM the top shoot of the plant even though its tied down, the top should split into 4 more extra tops along with all that extra side branching that you're going to be getting too. Plus even if The FIM doesn't work out properly you will still end up with at least 2 more shoots where there would have only been one.

FIMMING A PLANT!

Fimming is actually no different that topping, what fimming does is virtually the exact same thing only your leaving part of the new growth. This only takes of part of the new growth and actually topping the very very new growth which is very hard to see.

What this ends up doing is making it seem as if your getting 4 new tops right next to eachother when its actually only 2 at the very top (like topping) but since it was cut so closely to the next newest set of fanleaves 2 branches which would have formed there anyways seems to make it look like there is 4 new tops.

1. Locate the very top of the new growth

2d1sjgg1.jpg

2. With a clean sterilized scissors, Fold the fan leafs over and cut approximately 80% of the new growth off the plant.

40psbd01.jpg

Hope this helps.

:peace:

@GreeenFingers, thanks for this advice. It's funny you mentioned it, because i have been reading up on it lately. Heard good and bad things about it (just like everything else). I will be doing more research on it. Is this something you have done? TIA

So last night while inspecting my plant, I saw a spider mite. Today I purchased no pest strips. Did research, so I know the good and the bad. My question is how long do I leave it in my small grow cabinet (2x2x4)? TIA.

So I burnt the s**t out of my plant. Cfls do get hot!! All of my older fan leaves popped up from their bindings and wrapped themselves around my bulbs. New grow wasn't affected from what I can see, but I'll be doing a thorough inspection. I will post pics once I get everything back to normal. I for sure have to cut off all of my fan leaves :-(

So here are a couple of photos of my plant after i cleaned them up. Most of the damage was contained to the older fan leaves. I also bought a couple more bulbs to replace the ones i was using. Any suggestions and comments are welcomed. TIA

IMG_082712.jpg
IMG_083512.jpg
IMG_082117.jpg
IMG_082214.jpg

im not sure what your using for the lst, but id try and make sure none of the leaves are resting on the soil this will cause them to rot very quick, all i did for my last was poke a load of holes around the top of my pot, then i used pipe cleaners and poked them through the holes and then the other end i put round the part of the plant i was going to lst, then i pulled the pipe cleaner tight and this pulled the plant down where i wanted it, plus doing this i could use several ties and pull all parts of the plant where i liked, any leaves on the soil will rot,

Thank you for your reply. I was pinning them to the soil using paperclips. Didn't notice any issues with the leaves. There are no leaves (besides the 2 in pics) touching the soil. I will change that. I don't plan on lst it any further. Thanks for the advice about the leaves. That kind of stuff is good to know :)

no probs, i had the issue with mine when i pulled the plant down and i had several leaves resting on the soil, they died real quick so i made sure that when i lst i kept everything off the ground, so thought id pass on what i had learned, but you got some amazing looking plants, looks real good,

Are there any objections to the stem being on the soil? Will the stems hold there own weight when buds start developing? Will the main stem support the weight by growing horizontal? TIA.

id try and keep everything off the soil, the branches will get thicker and will hold themselves when they got buds on them so dont worry to much about the weight, but anything touching the soil is going to more than likely rot so keep as much of the soil as you can, you can strengthen the stems by giving them a little wiggle 2 or 3 times a day, move them about a bit as if they was outside and the wind was moving the plant, this will strengthen the branches up in no time, plus when you flip to flower leave the lst ties on then when you see flowers forming then take all the ties off, this will then let it all grow up towards the light and give you bigger buds, so lst as long as you can do, the branches will hold the weight as they will bulk up pretty quick so dont worry to much about that, it wont be long before you got loads of growth at the nodes then your plant will have a load of tops, my 2 had about 20 tops, these give you smaller buds than having 1 main stem but it increases yield as you have less smaller popcorn buds, so lst away and you should soon find you have crazy growth everywhere, what i found was that when my main stem was a certain height and i pulled it down, when i pulled the top down lower than the stem it made the nodes grow like crazy as they now become the top of the plant.

dont worry to much, just keep the leaves and stem off the ground, keep moving the ties to compensate for the new growth then what i did was when the growth at the nodes starts growing up towards the light, i let it grow a couple of inches then lst that as well and pulled it towards the edges of the pot, this then gave me an even canopy that covered the whole of the pot.

this time round i wont be doing much lst as such, the reason being is that i took my clones when my plants where well in flower, so what this has done is called monster cropping, so now my clones have gone crazy and got branches all over the place, its got that many branches its hard to see where one starts and the other ends, even the branches that are only 1 inch long have got 2 or 3 shoots coming off them that will be branches, so my plants are going to be pretty crazy this time round, i might lst the seedling i got growing but the clones wont be having much done to them as im chuffed at how they have turned out, im also giving glr a go this time round and for flower ill use the deminishing light schedule for flower and see how that works out, ill put some pics up tomorrow and you can have a look at the monster cropping,

basically to do monster cropping you take the clones after day 21 of flower, this then causes the plant to go crazy, basically as the plant is in flower and have flowers forming you then take the clone and put it under 24-0 while its getting roots after cloning, this then forces the plant out of flower and back into veg, this gives some crazy leaf growth and some funny curled up leaves as it clearly shocks the plant, i have also got leaves that have got new leaves growing off the leaves itself, on the bigger fan leaves it has the stem, and on this stem it has new leaves growing actually on the leaf and not on the stem of the plant, i also got some weird looking leaves, but now its back in veg the leaves are starting to grow normal, but i think monster cropping would be perfect for anyone wanting to mother a plant, as i could take about 10 clones all ready off the 1 clone and its not even been vegd that long, this monster cropping is crazy, i just hope that it means a bigger yield, if not i wont be using this method next time round,

id try and keep everything off the soil, the branches will get thicker and will hold themselves when they got buds on them so dont worry to much about the weight, but anything touching the soil is going to more than likely rot so keep as much of the soil as you can, you can strengthen the stems by giving them a little wiggle 2 or 3 times a day, move them about a bit as if they was outside and the wind was moving the plant, this will strengthen the branches up in no time, plus when you flip to flower leave the lst ties on then when you see flowers forming then take all the ties off, this will then let it all grow up towards the light and give you bigger buds, so lst as long as you can do, the branches will hold the weight as they will bulk up pretty quick so dont worry to much about that, it wont be long before you got loads of growth at the nodes then your plant will have a load of tops, my 2 had about 20 tops, these give you smaller buds than having 1 main stem but it increases yield as you have less smaller popcorn buds, so lst away and you should soon find you have crazy growth everywhere, what i found was that when my main stem was a certain height and i pulled it down, when i pulled the top down lower than the stem it made the nodes grow like crazy as they now become the top of the plant.

dont worry to much, just keep the leaves and stem off the ground, keep moving the ties to compensate for the new growth then what i did was when the growth at the nodes starts growing up towards the light, i let it grow a couple of inches then lst that as well and pulled it towards the edges of the pot, this then gave me an even canopy that covered the whole of the pot.

this time round i wont be doing much lst as such, the reason being is that i took my clones when my plants where well in flower, so what this has done is called monster cropping, so now my clones have gone crazy and got branches all over the place, its got that many branches its hard to see where one starts and the other ends, even the branches that are only 1 inch long have got 2 or 3 shoots coming off them that will be branches, so my plants are going to be pretty crazy this time round, i might lst the seedling i got growing but the clones wont be having much done to them as im chuffed at how they have turned out, im also giving glr a go this time round and for flower ill use the deminishing light schedule for flower and see how that works out, ill put some pics up tomorrow and you can have a look at the monster cropping,

basically to do monster cropping you take the clones after day 21 of flower, this then causes the plant to go crazy, basically as the plant is in flower and have flowers forming you then take the clone and put it under 24-0 while its getting roots after cloning, this then forces the plant out of flower and back into veg, this gives some crazy leaf growth and some funny curled up leaves as it clearly shocks the plant, i have also got leaves that have got new leaves growing off the leaves itself, on the bigger fan leaves it has the stem, and on this stem it has new leaves growing actually on the leaf and not on the stem of the plant, i also got some weird looking leaves, but now its back in veg the leaves are starting to grow normal, but i think monster cropping would be perfect for anyone wanting to mother a plant, as i could take about 10 clones all ready off the 1 clone and its not even been vegd that long, this monster cropping is crazy, i just hope that it means a bigger yield, if not i wont be using this method next time round,

Rep+ for lst and monster cropping 101!! Tried to give it to you but outsold me to spread it around. You're answers are always detailed, and that's what I like. Give me a reason, and then explain it in detail. That's what's up!! Thanks again.

no probs, im just so glad i can now pass on info i have picked up and what i have learned from growing these plants, my last grow was over 9 years ago and i didnt know what i was doing but it worked and got me over 7oz, so i was chuffed, then i decided to start growing again and found out its got technical and now their a fem and auto seeds, something un heard of back then, so i had a lot of catching up to do, im still learning and just starting my second veg round, but im so chuffed with the results and so amazed at the amount of growers on here that are willing to help and explain things, other grow sites have people slagging of people who grow a certain way or ask basic questions, and thats why i stayed on this site, i can call many of the growers on here good friends, it really is the best site by far, so feel free to ask any questions and ill do my best to answer, and if i cant answer it ill find out from someone who can, if i can pass on some of what i learned and its helping someone else then thats job done to me, i dont mind people asking questions and i dont mind questions or discussions on my journal, so please feel free to ask any questions you like, if you dont get the answer on your journal then just drop over to my journal and ask their and im 100% sure you will get the help you need, its the reason why i use this site and no other,

so im glad to offer you some advice and to know its helping you makes it all worth it in my eyes

Yeah theres not much space between levels is there? I mean usually ppl like to have their girls short and bushy, but when u face similar probs as urs you want ur girl to get enuf light where it needs it, i was thinking if you maybe raise the height of the light a few inches it should help it space out a bit better. And no, im not suggesting a long tall spindly plant, but just enough so theres bit more space. I use cfls for this stage and am in a similar stage atm, i use one hi output cfl think its 175w, but yeah it maybe best to have a 2500k cfl and 2 6500k s for veg.. If you do intend on LST just think bout which style u want to use and look into it, you will have few ppl who will help u if need. Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

Yeah theres not much space between levels is there? I mean usually ppl like to have their girls short and bushy, but when u face similar probs as urs you want ur girl to get enuf light where it needs it, i was thinking if you maybe raise the height of the light a few inches it should help it space out a bit better. And no, im not suggesting a long tall spindly plant, but just enough so theres bit more space. I use cfls for this stage and am in a similar stage atm, i use one hi output cfl think its 175w, but yeah it maybe best to have a 2500k cfl and 2 6500k s for veg.. If you do intend on LST just think bout which style u want to use and look into it, you will have few ppl who will help u if need. Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

Thank you for the input. Sorry it took so long to respond back. I started flowering on the first of this month. My plant has started growing more up than out (which is good). I did release the lst bindings before i started flowering. Don't know if i should of done this, but if not i learn from my mistakes. I will be posting current pics as soon as i can take them (being it's lights off till 11am). Anymore suggestions, and comments would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Back
Top Bottom