First DWC

RabidElmo

Hello this is my first time running dwc just curious if everything seems to be in order I have a one bucket setup which is 5 gal and ph around 6.1 my ppm meter is on its way ordered it off amazon. I'm running two air pumps with one air stone per pump. I am using the general hydroponics trio with cal mag and a little ph down when needed, last feed I tried the captains recipe. If anyone has a good recommendation on what I should feed. I try to keep my grow room around 20 - 22 deg C (sorry from Canada). I try to do a full bucket change once every 7 to 14 days at best. I'm running one 1000 watt led with both veg and bloom lights turned on. My water level never really seems to drop. Not really sure on what strain it is as I found the seed in a bag of weed. Any help or comments are greatly appreciated and thank you for letting me join this community sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible

20201117_203718_HDR.jpg

20201117_203534_HDR.jpg

20201117_203449_HDR.jpg

20201114_160209_HDR.jpg

Welcome @RabidElmo to :420:

Looks great! Love a good hydro journal, feel free to tag me in using an @ in front of my username of you get one going!

Best thing you can have for advice, refer to this chart whenever you check your reservoir. Tis my opinion anyways, since I found it extremely useful! I'm far from a pro, just finishing up my 2nd grow and have switched from GH to mega crop. Zero regrets. Much simpler in my opinion.
Anyhow, welcome to the forum!!

C62E28B0-CCEB-4E4A-BC84-A47103ECEC8B.jpeg.jpg

Looks great! Love a good hydro journal, feel free to tag me in using an @ in front of my username of you get one going!

Best thing you can have for advice, refer to this chart whenever you check your reservoir. Tis my opinion anyways, since I found it extremely useful! I'm far from a pro, just finishing up my 2nd grow and have switched from GH to mega crop. Zero regrets. Much simpler in my opinion.

Thank you @rex I will give it a look over

Hey @RabidElmo, my run using GH was following the Lucas method, there's a link in my signature that a member on here posted that breaks it down much better then I could do.

Regarding hydrozyme, I have no experience with it so I'm unsure. I just gave plain water week 1 (I grow autos) then begin to introduce nutes.

Hey @RabidElmo, my run using GH was following the Lucas method, there's a link in my signature that a member on here posted that breaks it down much better then I could do.

Regarding hydrozyme, I have no experience with it so I'm unsure. I just gave plain water week 1 (I grow autos) then begin to introduce nutes.
Hello rex I've been doing some reading regarding the Lucas method and just had a few questions about it. Some people are saying that it's better to feed my plants the full trio of gh cause lucas causes problems not enough of certain nutrients. Just curious if you have every had any nutrient issues using it. I plan on trying it with distilled water and cal mag added as well. Thanks

Hello rex I've been doing some reading regarding the Lucas method and just had a few questions about it. Some people are saying that it's better to feed my plants the full trio of gh cause lucas causes problems not enough of certain nutrients. Just curious if you have every had any nutrient issues using it. I plan on trying it with distilled water and cal mag added as well. Thanks
To be honest, I had a bag of maxibloom at my disposal and GH micro & bloom that I went back and forth from...the maxibloom was easy for res changes, and micro&bloom for top ups.. I don't remember much in the way of deficiencies (maybe some cal mag at one point :hmmmm:). The Lucas method for me was simplicity, and cost effective. Feel free to take a look through my grow journal, it's somewhat well documented, and relatively short (it's the superskunk and blueberry link in my signature). I can answer questions best I can, but I'm still new and learning.

The trick is to listen to the plant...she'll let you know if she wants more or less, follow the chart. That being said, each strain (and some phenos?) Might have slightly different demands, environment amoung other factors can change what the plants want too (I.e LEDs can make them a bit more cal mag hungry from my understanding...i use a MH/HPS so dunno for sure).

There's been plenty of successful grows using the trio and Lucas formula from what I've read on here and elsewhere. Take a read of a few journals on here using the trio and Lucas, then you can make a best informed decision.

Hey Elmo
I grow in RDWC and use the trio. Ive tried differing from the instructions on the back of the bottles, but I usually just feed like they recommend. I will say that I add more Phosphorous in the beginning. And I dont usually get to aggressive at the end. I use Botanicare's Calmag in veg and Grow Mores nitrogen free in flower. Calimagic and the brown Calmag from Gen Hydro (sorry can't remember the name) take up a lot of space in your PPMs. The Botanicare is like diet Calmag by comparison

When you add the nutrients to your water, do it in this order... Silica (if you're using it. You really should, but make sure its mono-silicic variety, not from Potassium). Calmag, Micro, and the rest. The deal is some elements don't play nice with other elements. I was adding a special Silica once, I had just done a res change and my system was full of RO with trace nutrients left in the roots and whatever didnt drain away the total dissolved solids was 110. The Silica went in and clouded up signaling a nutrient lock out. This shit went to war the second it hit the water. I had to start over, and wasted quite a bit of an expensive additive. This is an extreme example. But this is what's going on if care isn't taken. If you have this issue with Calmag you will wind up with less usable Calcium or Magnesium then you think

Rexer is totally right. Pay attention to your plants. Are they stretching upward or mopey. Watch your pH, don't overfeed. If you want the effect of a lot of nutes. Feed normally, but make room for some Fulvic acid. It makes your nutrients more available to the plant. Fulpower from Bioag is the best Fulvic

Hope this helps

Hey Elmo
I grow in RDWC and use the trio. Ive tried differing from the instructions on the back of the bottles, but I usually just feed like they recommend. I will say that I add more Phosphorous in the beginning. And I dont usually get to aggressive at the end. I use Botanicare's Calmag in veg and Grow Mores nitrogen free in flower. Calimagic and the brown Calmag from Gen Hydro (sorry can't remember the name) take up a lot of space in your PPMs. The Botanicare is like diet Calmag by comparison

When you add the nutrients to your water, do it in this order... Silica (if you're using it. You really should, but make sure its mono-silicic variety, not from Potassium). Calmag, Micro, and the rest. The deal is some elements don't play nice with other elements. I was adding a special Silica once, I had just done a res change and my system was full of RO with trace nutrients left in the roots and whatever didnt drain away the total dissolved solids was 110. The Silica went in and clouded up signaling a nutrient lock out. This shit went to war the second it hit the water. I had to start over, and wasted quite a bit of an expensive additive. This is an extreme example. But this is what's going on if care isn't taken. If you have this issue with Calmag you will wind up with less usable Calcium or Magnesium then you think

Rexer is totally right. Pay attention to your plants. Are they stretching upward or mopey. Watch your pH, don't overfeed. If you want the effect of a lot of nutes. Feed normally, but make room for some Fulvic acid. It makes your nutrients more available to the plant. Fulpower from Bioag is the best Fulvic

Hope this helps
There we go!! :ciao:

LOL, I was just going to post that chart.

Are you using Hydro Guard, Z7 or Z9 to prevent slime build up in your bucket ?

PK just reported major issues with Hygrozyme. The problem with additives like this especially in Canada is they are sensitive to they way they are shipped and stored. If they go below 40F (about 4.5 degrees C) it can render the mix useless. PK ended up with Z9 (Canadian) we will see if that helps him. Im a Hydroguard guy, but it gets spendy up North if you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom