First Grow - Bag Seed - DIY Grow Box - FFOF with Nutes - Advice Welcome

sec0pz

Greetings all,
I have posted some questions before and you guys have been extremely helpful, Thanks again.
Figured I would make it official and start a journal here to help me keep a timeline on when I germ, seed and other important stuff.
So, my setup us very simple. Bagseed in Dixie cups in my Homegrown DIY / Ghetto growbox. 12x 23W CFL's on a timer doing 18/6 light to dark (pics below). Mixture of FF Ocean Forrest soil and some other "super-soil" I got on ebay.
6 inch circ. fan and 2x 5inch intake and exhaust fans for fresh air. Water is captured rain / snow water (5.5 pH).

Germinated some bagseed in a damp paper towel. Got 5 to germinate (first round), and one survived to make it above soil. The dirt was much too dry (Thanks SABO and Graytail). But after hitting it with water and Super-Thrive, she seems to be well on her way to getting bigger.(pics below)

Second round of germination (still bagseed) yielded only 1 tap root approx 1/8 inch long. That one just went into soil yesterday (3/1) (pic below).

I continue to read all other grow journals and learn at the feet of the masters here on 420. Your combined knowledge is much appreciated by this n00b and I am sure, others like me.

All comments and ideas are welcome. If you see me making a mistake...PLEASE TELL ME! This is a learning adventure for me. All questions will be answered asap.

Thank you for taking the time to view my post.

Regards,
sec0pz

My DIY setup:
DSC00831a.jpg
DSC00826a.jpg
DSC00825a.jpg

Currently my only plant above ground:
DSC00838a.jpg
DSC00837a.jpg
DSC00836a.jpg
DSC00835a.jpg
DSC00834a.jpg

Second round of germination: Planted 3/1.
DSC00832a.jpg

Water is captured rain / snow water (5.5 pH). You will have to pH the water up for soil or you will have problems. pH around 6.5 -7.0 is ok for your soil.

Having problems getting any of the older seeds to germinate. Even after applying heating pad and Super-Thrive to germination plate, nothing seems to want to open. The seeds are more than 4 yrs. old and I really have low expectations from them. I have also placed an order for 10 seeds from Herby's. Not sure how long it normally takes to arrive in the USA, but I am hopeful.

In the mean time, the one plant that I have above ground is doing a wonderful job. 2 sets of pics to follow. one from 3/6 and one set from today (3/9). Its not much, but it makes me happy.

I would be very interested to hear from the experts on when I should start nuits and when I should transplant to a bigger pot as I know both of those are in my very near future. Any and all advise is welcome.

==sec0pz

3/6 pics:
DSC00840a.jpg

DSC00842a.jpg

3/9 pics:
DSC00846a.jpg

DSC00848a.jpg

A lot Pro growers don't start nutes till few weeks, some do but I started mine on 1/8 the dose of my regular first week of veg nutes( keep in mine I use R/O water).

You should keep in mind a lot of bag seeds may not be viable to even start with. seeds that get put through several temp changes can diminish the viability, things like direct sunlight. For bag seeds just throw a bunch and hope for the best and if you have to many let em all grow till you find out which ones grow faster/better or what have you ;)

Also I wouldn't hang on to that small bottom growth, it looks like its getting not light or it just Is not going, Once the plant gets bigger you will pull that stuff off anyhow so take a nice pair of sharp clean scissors and snip those bottom leaves and even the branches unless you wanna grow em out for clones.

Hope all is well with everyone, have a great day/night!:thumb:

Wonderful day all,
Plenty of good news all around.
First, I did my first transplant today with the only plant I have above ground and she looks great. Drum-roll please....

Pics before, in plastic Dixie cup...

DSC00853a.jpg

DSC00854a.jpg

Pics after, in new, much larger planter...
DSC00855a.jpg

DSC00856a.jpg

I gave it a nice big drink afterwards with a tiny dab of SuperThrive added for good measure. I hope I didnt do anything wrong. Time will tell. All comments welcome,

Also new.. I made arrangements to fly to Colorado today to see my niece and her new child. For those of you interested, I will be in the Denver and "Springs" areas March 27 thru 31, with some time on my hands and doing "recon" for a new biz venture along with seeing my niece. Love to meet some of the natives.

Also new, my seeds came in from Herbie's yesterday. Total of 10 in all. I have also ordered some rapid rooter pellets and a germ heat pad from local sources. Hopefully they will arrive asap and I can drop more beans in soil.

Thats all from the homestead. Tune in next time. Thanks for stopping by.

==sec0pz

M1DRAGONACE,
I agree with you on the viability of bagseed 100%. Thats why I am using bagseed to practice on before I ruin some expensive seeds from overseas.The learning curve here has been tremendous and I have killed 7 or more seeds just getting this first one above ground. But the experience with bagseed has been great. I now feel like I can germinate and grow with confidence.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it very much.

==sec0pz

Good deal man, you should know as long as you buy from a reputable seed site, that the germination rate is as close to 100% as you can get. I've bought probably close to 30-40 seeds and never had a prob germinating any of them

I germ in a cup of water put in the dark on top of a heating pad. Once tail comes out I plant in either rock wool or soil.

As long as they don't go through any major temperature changes and are not exposed to sunlight the viable seeds will go for you. Of course one of the reason most growers switch from bag seeds or switch from seeds all together is the chance at a male which can cripple a medical garden quick if your not on top of it.

Hope you have a good trip to CO, Travel safe man :goodjob:

Updated pics!
Looks like my #1 (thats what I am calling it now) is going like gangbusters after the transplant to a bigger pot. I can tell the diff. looking at the pics how she has grown.
I mixed up my first gal. of nuits this morning (1/4 strength) and hope to be feeding #1 sometime today.
Have two (2) more seed in warm water right now. Hope to have them in peat-pods sat morn.

Updated pics of #1 follows:
DSC00860a.jpg

DSC00858a.jpg

Any and all comments welcome and advice taken...

Thanks for stopping by.

==sec0pz

Good lookin plants my friend

I think its time to up your nutrients to 1/2 force, they def look like they can take more nutes!!

Looks like the vary vary beginning sign of a magnesium deficiency probably more due to not pushing nutes. Technically speaking you can classify a plant, in the first week of veg once the branches start forming or when the plant have a few sets of leaves

M1DRAGONACE,
Thank you very much for your advice. I will up the nuits to 1/2 strength on the next feeding.
Can I ask, what is it about the plants that show a sign of magnesium deficiency? I am trying to learn and this is very good info.
Also, how can I "classify" my plant this early in the veg cycle? Thats extremely valuable info, as I thought you had to wait til flowering to do that. I'm just a n00b trying to learn.
Thanks sooo much for your help and great advice. Very much appreciated.
==sec0pz

A light green or yellow coloring will begin to show on the veins and edges of the lower & older leaves and leaves that curl up slightly when it has a deficiency however my tell tale sign is purplish spots on the leaf stems, however a lot of strains develop this purple color. When you have a severe case of mag def the stems will be almost hallow and completely purple

I seem to have mis-understood what you were saying. I understand veg stage now. Much appreciated info.
And thank you very much for spotting my mag. deficiency. I will up the nuits and see if I can get that taken care of.
Again, much appreciated advice. Thanks for keeping your eye's on my grow.

==sec0pz

Back
Top Bottom