L4BW's First Box - Inconspicuous Grow

L4AbetterWay

IMG_20140121_103147_261.jpg
IMG_20140121_103131_961.jpg

OK so as title says my first box grow,at the moment I am germinating some bagseed from some decent mids I pick up. I'm growing due to financial reasons and tired of the dealing process and wondering if my next buy is going to be crap. Not to mention fresher is better and I'm feeling adventurous lately.

Box dimensions- 35"h ( minus filter and light setup) 18" deep 30" wide
Ventilation-2 intake fans 1 larger exhaust fan with carbon filter .all 12v computer fans (no cfm rating or rpm that I can see)
Lighting- 3×1600 lumen 2700k cfls+3×1600 lumen 6500k cfls
Strain- bagseed from mids
Growing medium- going with soil first go round I do wanna try ponics tho.

My concerns: its just my fiance and myself with our 2yr old in the apt so stealth is not a huge concern but it must be inconspicuous due to guests and such. Odor is our main concern, as we have a rights raider I mean cop in our building somewhere. The box does leak some light but its in the back of a closet so that is manageable. Height is my 2nd biggest concern due to unknown strain and space restrictions.I will be employing LST and filming to control/ maximize yield .ala in all I think I'll have like 20-26" to work with. This will be my first go around with any of this except the consumption part , that I'm familiar with. Any and all constructive advice is welcome and encouraged. Just started germinating seeds last night will update when they split..the seeds I've had for a little while but they've been kept in a dark cool space so I'm hoping they take, but then again its just bag seed so no worries if they don't.

IMG_20140123_191610_421.jpg
So just a real quick update, still early in the grow so not much going on. I had 9 seeds germinating for the past couple days 6 of those were from bags I had bought a couple yes ago so I don't have much hope for them to sprout but the 3 from the most recent bag had sprouted and have been placed in soil.

Quick question is light going to be beneficial or a hindrance at this.point since they are not yet above the surface?

I always leave mine with my veg plants, so they're on 18/6 even before they've popped through the surface.

I know some people leave them in the dark before they've broken the surface.

If go this route, you have to be very attentive, so that you can put them under light as soon as they break the surface.

I'd rather know that they're getting the light they need as soon as they poke through, so I leave mine under lights.

No ill effects noted yet. :)

IMG_20140125_085056_608.jpg
So we have a little activity today!

And 3 others are just breaking the surface. I think I might run into a little heat issue tho, my high
Are bumping 90 with all 6 lamps on..my box is only like 6 sq ft so I'm not sure if all that light is necessary if you got by 50 lumens/sq ft or I redo my light setup to try and vent out the heat from under that makeshift reflector...or get new lights all together..I am an electrician and have access to anything I could imagine..let me know what you guys think :peacetwo:

IMG_20140201_202637_148.jpg
IMG_20140201_202652_590.jpg
IMG_20140201_202719_735.jpg
OK so we are at the end of week 1, thus far I've only killed 25% of the plants I started ..lol I had to pull #3 today. I did have problems with #3&4 during germination and throughout sprouting I don't think I planted those 2 deep enough.1&2 seem to be doing OK.

The soil I have them in I acquired from my uncle who purchased some plants from home depot, the plants died and I got the pots and soil.so I'm not sure how long the plants were in the pots for and how much nutrient is left in the soil..when I look at the plants in the cabinet they appear to have a yellowish tinge to them but when I pull them out into less intense light they look fine..not dark green but not too light....so I think I'm just being paranoid about the unknowns and fussing for nothing...

IMG_20140204_215222_296.jpg
IMG_20140205_204929_538.jpg
suspicions were correct leaves on eldest plant are yellowing and developing brown spots...my noobish gut feeling is to feed them but I know they are young still...my pH was running high in the beginning but I have since brought it to proper levels for its last watering about 2-3 days ago.will it take a while for the pH imbalance to correct in the plant? Any help is much appreciated.

She looks like she'll be OK - it's common for seedlings to have a period of adjustment, and she'll probably settle in over the next few days.

The spots could be signs of deficiency, which may be due to the pH being off. It looks like the cotyledon (round puffy leaves) are close to being used up, so I would wait for her to dry out, to where her cup felt light in weight (may also help pH), and then decide whether to feed very lightly at next water, with the solution pH'd at 6.5. You can wait for others to advise as well, but after looking at the coty leafs, I would say - dry, then feed.

:Rasta:
IMG_20140208_101715_705.jpg
IMG_20140208_100941_724.jpg
IMG_20140208_101732_930.jpg

Hey guys wanted to give y'all an update I transplanted #1 this morning , the roots had started circling the bottom of the cup so I think we got her transplanted just in time. I'm in the hunt for new containers for 2&4.I also acquired some new seeds this week from a coworker.hey labeled them but I don't remember the abbreviations for them all but I did start germing 1 of them to replace #3 from what I understand the strain is "green crack" which from a lil research is a sativa dominate strain so this could get interesting with my height restrictions.

#1 appears to be an indica dominant strain, at the moment she has 3-4 sets of nodes so ill be trying my hand at some techniques(fim'ing and/or LST.) in the next week or so but she is pretty squatty so I'm not sure which way I'm gonna go with #1. #2 I believe is a sativa and those will definitely be getting a lot of LST to keep em short,#3 I'm not quite sure yet as it has some deformations in the leaves. As always comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom