First Proper Grow Attempt - DWC Vs Soil Testing

Aww jeez you guys! You'll make me big headed if you keep it up . Thanks for all the kind words, it really makes my day reading the comments and replies from you all. Thank you for that!

The DWC certainly keeps me busy for sure Troy.

Thanks Scooter, I was originally hoping to just use large screens but they wont all fit in my tent, (lol oops). I had to come up with a solution. I will let them fill these screens, then let them stretch straight upwards about 8-10 inches. At that point I'll add the bigger screen only 3 inches above the current ones and spread all the vertical growth out sideways under the top screen. At the same time move to the flower tent. Atleast that's the theory .

Not sure about swimming over Tryan, it might get a bit cold! Lol, but you all would be welcome to a smoke if any of you guys/gals are ever in my little corner of the world. Just give me a few more weeks to get a proper harvest in .

Cheers guys ✌

Ok Flower Update:

Temps have been a little high today/yesterday nothing drastic but higher than I'd like, it hit 28°c . Humidity seems stable at a high of 60-65 each night now so that'll do until I can afford a dehumidifier.

The DWC has some buds that look nearly done and others that don't at all. The annoying thing is that it seems to be the bigger buds that have a long time to go . In some ways its probably a good thing, more white hairs = more calyxs => more yield right? The PH has been creeping down for the first time since I started growing it. I have no PH up but my tap watet is super high PH, so I just stopped using PH down at all and it seems to be doing fine now. I am hoping (if its possible even) to do a res swap on it tomorrow. Its going to be some serious juggling though. Lets hope I don't drop it. Worst case is an early harvest , but having chopped the soil plants a bit on the early side I'd like to let it run the distance and really see what she's got. The colas are massive now, seriously, I dont know if they physically can get any bigger, but they continue to do so despite my disbelief. Its frosting up seriously too now. As a result of the huge colas everywhere I took out 4 small little nugget colas that were blocking light to much bigger ones. Hopefully this lets them have more light and ensures better airflow around them to help prevent any Bud Rot.
The 4 buds I chopped:
420-magazine-mobile483381913.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1492704647.jpg

They are now hanging in the bottom of the drying tent, 2 are trimmed, 2 are not. A little test of trimming after drying to see what I make of it.
As for the Girl they came from:
420-magazine-mobile467610354.jpg

By no means the biggest bud:
420-magazine-mobile357462704.jpg

Getting Frosty:
420-magazine-mobile481057479.jpg

As I mentioned above I chopped Soil 1 today also. It was starting to have thrips showing up on it again, and also was starting to look like shit. Still I learned a lot from it and I think it will still be really nice smoke. It looks to be a lot more weight overall than Soil 2, but it is less dense so hard to say at this point how much more. Its all trimmed and on the rack drying above its sister Soil 2. She is still on 12/12 - jar/screen rotation, buds are lovely and spongy at the moment, dense but springy .
420-magazine-mobile733466111.jpg

Here she is during the chop:
420-magazine-mobile991889293.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1071212309.jpg

Removed fluffy buds:
420-magazine-mobile856111234.jpg

420-magazine-mobile5610829.jpg

Chuffed with the result of my training in veg!
420-magazine-mobile45577411.jpg

Some buds during trim (they only got a quick trim):
420-magazine-mobile1207095373.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1424134378.jpg

Mutant:
420-magazine-mobile1398716633.jpg

The mutant bud is just ridiculous compared to the others. Here it is side by side with the main central bud off the plant (which was also the next biggest):
420-magazine-mobile1567569023.jpg

Soil 2 should be full time in the jars hopefully in the next 3-5 days maximum, then it will just be burping them once a day for a few weeks, if I can resist the temptation to smoke them. I have promised the missus no more buying bud from now on .

The TD and RCB are trooping on, signs of thrips on a couple more TD leaves, going to look into what I can do when its already in flower. In the meantime I will step up the DE again and more thqn likely do some very careful neem treatment, might even paint it on with a pastry brush to avoid getting the buds themselves. Depends if I can be bothered as that will take a long fucking time! Anyways a couple pics:
420-magazine-mobile1392224305.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1966824336.jpg

Sorry for any typos no time to proof read, its time for dinner .

Take care all have a great day! Keep on growing.✌

Whoa what a chop! Did your face get all sticky when you gave that thing a big old hug and kiss? LOL
Don't forget to post some weights. That's one of the best parts about reading a journal. :)

What did you do for a flush on the soil? What's the flush plan for the DWC? There's a million opinions on flushing which is why I ask.

How's the new dry tent working out?

Happy for you mate!

Whoa what a chop! Did your face get all sticky when you gave that thing a big old hug and kiss? LOL
Don't forget to post some weights. That's one of the best parts about reading a journal. :)

What did you do for a flush on the soil? What's the flush plan for the DWC? There's a million opinions on flushing which is why I ask.

How's the new dry tent working out?

Happy for you mate!

Haha my hands were pretty sticky that's for sure, managed to resist the urge to cuddle it though . Not sure I'll be as successful with the DWC, that one will be tough to resist haha.

The final weight from Soil 2 was 20.2g dry, that said I have been taking buds out to smoke and had a couple off the plant before I chopped the rest. All in all I'd guess she yielded about an ounce dry. Loads of trim too. Soil 1 is way too fresh to weigh, but I'll keep you informed. As I dont sell it, weight is not that important to me. Mainly I just want quality, but I should track my weights I guess in order to monitor my grow's performance. With the Soil its fully organic so I didnt do a whole lot of anything for flush, it just had one watering of plain water before the chop. The leaves were all fading yellow anyways, dont think it needed a flush. The DWC I will just give it plain, non-pH'd water for the last week or so of its life.

As for the dry tent, it is on point, working really well, buds are coming put smelling amazing, not like hay! I consider the dry tent a success. Might need a dehumidifier once the DWC goes in there though haha.

Thanks dude!

All the guys from the growshop in town don't grow because of that really happy for you with your own smoke
Yeah I'll just have to risk it...that or wear gloves at work lol, might not end up with the job yet you never know.

Thanks dude! Its such a great feeling.

Flower update for today.

Everything is coming along nicely still, temps and humidity have been a tiny bit high for my liking. That said, forecast is cooler tomorrow .

DWC has had falling PH for the last week now, which is a 1st for me. It had been climbing slowly this entire time only to switch for the last week? I have countered it by using my tap water with no PH down. I plan to start flushing now really as I hope to chop her down in about 2-3 weeks. I am starting by just cutting the nutes back to 0.7 EC in the res. Then will start just topping up with only water in a couple days. I also went ahead and pinched the tips off the buds as per the backbuilding technique. I left more than half of them alone, I only pinched out the less dense ones in the hopes they fatten up. (Thanks for the info on that guys!)
There is a bit of yellowing, mainly in the center under the light, but I think thats down to EC in the res spiking and the PH getting a bit low when the res runs low on water. She is back to drinking 6+L a day now . As a result of this grow, I'm seriously looking at a 4x 30L pot, Alien RDWC system for £500. Has anyone used one of these before? It looks awesome and just plug in and grow, very easy to set up. Would love to know people's thoughts. (Dont want to link as I dont know of they are a sponsor, its easy to find on google tho search 'Alien RDWC 30L'). Ideally I'd do what Devil has and modify a Wilma setup into a DWC, but it wont fit through my loft hatch *facepalm*. The shear amount of bud this one DWC pot has grown I find very hard to ignore. As far as taste goes, the bit I have sampled tasted great to me and besides I'd bet my TD will taste phenomenal in hydro or in soil, so not worried about that. I also find it easier to keep the plant happy in DWC as you can literally check Everything, soil I still struggle with even timing when to water, how much to water etc...We shall see, its going to be that or coco I think. Anyways I'm getting distracted by hopes and dreams .
Good news on the photo front today, got in before the lights came on!
420-magazine-mobile861461472.jpg

420-magazine-mobile921607468.jpg

420-magazine-mobile440767849.jpg

420-magazine-mobile620663527.jpg

TD and RCB are still going strong. Both had a 2L feed today at 50% strength. TD had wk4 nutes, RCB week 3. (Week 3-4 of flower based on the Biobizz feeding chart).
Forgive the DE all over them .
TD:
420-magazine-mobile1858588465.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1197326191.jpg

RCB:
420-magazine-mobile955163875.jpg

Finally an overview with normal lighting for a change.
420-magazine-mobile1882424740.jpg

Have a great day all! ✌

Edit: I forgot to mention, I did try to do a res change on the DWC, but it aint happening, she's staying there untill she is chopped. I would like to try and get a good photo of her for the contests but I'm not sure I'll be able to move it to a place where I can get a good angle. I dont like my cheapy plastic and duct tape as a background either...we'll see.

Quick update for today:

The DWC is ripening really fast. The trichomes are already mostly cloudy now. Good thing I'm starting to cut nutes for flush . A couple buds are leaning to the side a bit more than I would like but as long as they don't actually break its all good. She's getting seriously frosty now. Especially the buds right under the light, they are covered completely in resin. If it continues to ripen up at its current pace I may be in for a harvest sooner than I anticipated which would be fantastic! I took one more lower little bud today that was starting to lean down a lot. I decided I would take my time trimming it and really try to do a nice job too. I'm actually quite please with how it turned out. I missed a little bit here and there but its better than the usual 'quick shave' style of trimming I was doing.
420-magazine-mobile941151705.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1520427545.jpg

The sample:
420-magazine-mobile1834753498.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2036646114.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1053422075.jpg

420-magazine-mobile55205159.jpg

As for the other two plants (TD & RCB) they needed no attention today so I just left them to it. They are both coming along great at the moment. TD smells insane!!
420-magazine-mobile24253288.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1561022682.jpg

In other news the veg plants are all responding well to their training. They had all turned upwards within 12hrs. They all had a feed today, just fish mix at 2ml/L and added 1ml bloom for the auto.
420-magazine-mobile461035138.jpg

Finally an overview with the lights on.
420-magazine-mobile1060517094.jpg

Have a great day all. Lets hope the massive storm we currently have outside doesn't knock my power out ✌.

Back
Top Bottom