First Time Grower

It's dark outside but I had to try and get a pic because I haven't looked at her much. This is the top of one of the middle branches :)
20150828_203037.jpg

You'll be pinching tops and thinning plants quickly in no time.

Now is the time to start planning for next year. Learning about and deciding on a soil type, accumulating what you need. Mixing and cooking the soil. Grow closet/tent and security.

Your plant has a main stem or stalk. Where the side stems come off the stalk there is also a big fan leaf. This junction is called a node. This basic pattern continues on the stalk and any growing stems until flowering. In flowering the new nodes become flower (bud) sites instead of branching, and new bud sites will pop up anywhere and everywhere the plant can.

steff, leave her alone and out of the light for her dark period. No pics, no porch lights. She needs uninterrupted dark or she could get confused.

:thumb:

I think it's safe to say she is now in the second week, and I'm really enjoying watching and learning! I know I didn't actually get advice on this, however I chose to go ahead and get the Tiger Bloom and some PH adjuster because I read it lowers the PH. turns out I've been giving hey 7-7.5 PH this whole time. . I was so scared giving her the first dose, which was four days ago. Yesterday she got her second dose, hopefully I don't kill her! I think she looks great though :circle-of-love:
20150830_120359.jpg
20150830_121132.jpg
20150830_120438.jpg
20150830_121121.jpg
20150830_120428.jpg

Exactly what OMU said. She looks fabulous!

Now that you're messing with PH, adjust your solution to right around 6.4. If you get tired of PH and fretting over it you can check into organics, like Living Organic Soil aka LOS (like SweetSue), High Brix aka HB growing (look to Doc Bud for info), super soil (originated by a person known as Subcool) or any other organic soil recipe you can find. These folks have all but lost their PH meters.

Hydroponic PH adjusters are a no-no in organics. They are harsh acids and bases and will affect soil microbes. But since you are already down that path, finish it.

:thumb:

Yea, I now know that I will not make this mistake again. It is scary adjusting that stuff, I feel like I need a lab lol... I had purchased the Tiger Bloom thinking I read it was organic, only to read later that day it is a different formula Fox Farms sells and I mixed it up. I had already opened it, and couldn't exchange, so i just used it. I wanted to do everything organic. Up to this point I think I was doing everything organically.
Poop, huh, lol.
Live. and. Learn. BUT next one I will know better!!
She does look pretty though! Even the lowest branches now have flowers :)
Thank you for all the positive words!!! <3

She looks beautiful steff. By now I know you can feel her energy. Cool, isn't it?

Heirloom is right, you're hooked now and you're at the best point to start thinking ahead. When you're ready, there are any number of qualified growers who will be honored to help you become more and more comfortable with the process.

Growing these babies is addictive. We acknowledge that and plan for it. :laughtwo: Work it into your budget steff. It's easier if you just accept it. :battingeyelashes:

So I brought her inside this morning because she is getting soooooooo beautiful :yahoo: I was really getting paranoid someone was going to notice she isn't a vegetable.:laugh: Well two hours later we got a notice on our door that the owners are doing remodeling on our balcony, and needed access real quick if we would allow. Talk about good luck,:rollit: she was in our closet happy under her CFL lights lol. :cheer:
Anyway, I just wanted to post this real quick so I wont forget which day I brought her inside.. :thumb:

Do you have the lights in reflector domes? The best thing for even light reflection is semi-gloss white paint. You would think foil or mylar, but no. It's semi-gloss white.

I would not cut back on wattage unless you got a bulb(s) that produced as much or more lumens as what you current lights produce. In horticultural lighting you really need to look at the spectrum of light and the lumens produced first, then wattage second. Your plant doesn't care about watts, it cares about spectrum and lumens...... and heat if you get it too close. Only your budget cares about watts.

After all that, no, I would not recommend going with less wattage. If anything give her more but make sure you're not too close with them.

Looks like pics I've taken by putting the lens off an old film camera in front of the lens on my now dead digi cam. +reps

I use foil right on the back sides of CFLs to reflect all the light to my small plants Steff. A reflector even a few inches away from a CFL bulb doesn't help a lot. By the time the light hits the reflector and gets back to the plant it has lost most of it's power. I see a lot of grows here where the lights have no reflectors at all so the plants are only getting 25% of the light the bulbs give off if that. Foil on a CFL will not cause hot spots that will damage your plants. That holds true with even a small HID light but CFLs just don't have the intensity to cause hot spots. Just cut some foil like a large T so the top of the T can be wrapped around the base of the bulb and the bottom end be tucked into the coils at the top of the bulb. Keeps them in place with the fan blowing. Most of the light from them comes off the sides as well so cone type reflectors can help if the top end of the bulb is aimed at the plant. Heavy foil can be used to make those or those foil catch pans that go under old stove elements can be had cheap and bent into a cone shape.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom