Gallery Upload Issues

My exact problem today. I can upload no problem. I can see the folder no problem. But when I attempt to place it I get nothing. No highlight around the picture nothing.

Is anyone having the same problems...?
I am not having that issue. Did you upgrade your version of chrome?

Not that I am aware. I just tried desktop & iPhone & both were boxed when clicked/tapped.

What are you using?

Ian

My exact problem today. I can upload no problem. I can see the folder no problem. But when I attempt to place it I get nothing. No highlight around the picture nothing.

Hi - Ian B and Doob have your back there! Another member had the exact same problem and updating to the latest version of Chrome browser fixed it.
:thumb:
:Namaste:

After working all day diving into all of the reports and complaints about the gallery upload process, we finally have a solid understanding of what the problems are and we are working diligently to resolve them, once and for all.

The question we have though, is....

If we turn off personal albums, eliminating the lengthy upload process, bringing it back to the simple 1, 2, 3, uploads, there is a slight chance we could possibly lose photos uploaded to these personal albums over the last month. We are however, discussing this at length with the software manufacturer, and will have more solid answers over the next few days, so don't count anything as I say as gospel just yet. There is a possibility that we may be able to move them to another category to save them, however this could potentially remove them from being embedded in posts, so we are working to eliminate any of these issues from happening. This would also get rid of the privacy issues, because all photos would be made public, just as they always have been.

So we'd like to know if this would be okay with you all, in the name of possibly losing a month of photos, vs 20 years of lengthy upload steps. Like I said, we may be able to retain everything, and that is our goal, but wanted you guys and gals included in the process, so we can do this more together as a community.
What are your thoughts? :thanks:

Hmm. The loss of the actual photos wouldn't bother me, but- it could create a whole lot of gaping holes in journals, obviously, which would be fairly serious.

Maybe the majority of people save their photos somewhere, and could re-upload. Myself I generally delete them off my phone after uploading, so the forum is the only place they exist.

For my 2c, I don't find the album part of the upload process to be time consuming, or a problem. The only problem I have with it is that the albums are almost useless because we can't edit them. Can't delete, rename, or shuffle pics around. I'd love to be able to rearrange things and tidy up the mess I've created, and I could imagine albums being quite a good thing if that was possible.
But maybe giving us those options beyond the 7 hour time limit somehow creates problems for you guys. I don't see how it would- but obviously I'm looking from a different point of view.
:passitleft:

Hmm. The loss of the actual photos wouldn't bother me, but- it could create a whole lot of gaping holes in journals, obviously, which would be fairly serious.

Maybe the majority of people save their photos somewhere, and could re-upload. Myself I generally delete them off my phone after uploading, so the forum is the only place they exist.

For my 2c, I don't find the album part of the upload process to be time consuming, or a problem. The only problem I have with it is that the albums are almost useless because we can't edit them. Can't delete, rename, or shuffle pics around. I'd love to be able to rearrange things and tidy up the mess I've created, and I could imagine albums being quite a good thing if that was possible.
But maybe giving us those options beyond the 7 hour time limit somehow creates problems for you guys. I don't see how it would- but obviously I'm looking from a different point of view.

Unfortunately that won't happen for many reasons, not limited to...

1. Deleting photos makes journals and help threads worthless.
2. Moving photos around removes them from embedded posts, making threads worthless.
3. Moving, deleting, renaming photos messes up our SEO.
4. Member has a temper tantrum and deletes everything, then comes back the next day wanting it all back.

Not to mention the fact that we spend anywhere from $5000-10,000 a month just keeping this ship afloat, between payroll, licenses, taxes, programming, graphics, hosting, computers equipment, supplies, etc. The website is free for you to get help, share your photos, make friends, make connections, find a partner to get into business, increase your quality of life, save your life or the life of a friend, the list is endless. We spend countless hours around the clock, working for you, ridding the place of trolls, spam and trouble makers, just so you can have a safe, fun environment to spend your time enjoying and expanding.

We earn the right on our own private website, to preserve the data here for others to use for years to come. It's not fair for us to spend all this time, energy and money building, moderating and maintaining this place, to have people come and use our resources, then delete everything on their way out. That content belongs to us and we use it to help further the same mission we've been on for the last 25 years. Creating Cannabis awareness, which is what we are preserving.

For now, the only things we are working on gallery wise, are the upload process, albums & privacy.

Please forgive if I don't reply to anything unrelated to these topics specifically, until we get these resolved and I get the office and my home moved at the end of the month. :thanks:

Ok I have to reply to this, just because you're mistaken about what I mean.

I only meant deleting/editing albums. Not photos.

I see the albums as merely an organizational overlay, not affecting the actual gallery content in any other way. The pics would stay permanently in the members gallery, or wherever, as the property of 420 forum. That's understood.

But we would have a personal method of organizing them. We could arrange the pics in albums and edit the albums, without affecting the actual pics in any way. Seems a simple concept so I think it must be clear now what I mean?
It's a feature that it appears the website was potentially designed to do.

So all those points you mention, which I fully see, understand, and agree with, do not apply at all to the point I was making.

I hope this make sense? :passitleft:

Ok I have to reply to this, just because you're mistaken about what I mean.

I only meant deleting/editing albums. Not photos.

I see the albums as merely an organizational overlay, not affecting the actual gallery content in any other way. The pics would stay permanently in the members gallery, or wherever, as the property of 420 forum. That's understood.

But we would have a personal method of organizing them. We could arrange the pics in albums and edit the albums, without affecting the actual pics in any way. Seems a simple concept so I think it must be clear now what I mean?
It's a feature that it appears the website was potentially designed to do.

So all those points you mention, which I fully see, understand, and agree with, do not apply at all to the point I was making.

I hope this make sense? :passitleft:

I see what you are saying.

Unfortunately, getting rid of personal albums, is what may be the key to making the upload process easier.

HI Rob & all - Similarly to Weaselcracker I delete my pics form everywhere else, they made for and live in 420Mag land only ;) and it would be a big shame to lose them - not mention all those other users’ pics that were/are so awesome.

I also think, dare I say it, that it could possibly cause a revolt!

More seriously, lots of people are using them now and getting used to it so it might be a big thing to throw in another change (especially one that loses pics).

As it currently is we have to create and Album when we choose Member Gallery anyway. So if you were able to get rid of personal albums, would we still have to create albums when we upload to Member Gallery?

Regarding that: In it’s current form, it would make more sense if the link (on the screen where you choose Member, Off Topic, Personal, Existing) for Member Gallery said - “Create a new album in Member Galleries” and if there was no dividing line between, Member /OFF Topic and the Personal / exisiting. That doesn’t remove any steps I realise but it would help clarity wise I think.

Actually, it seems a bit premature to say any of this without knowing what is possible. Because from what you say it may be possible to move the personal albums or their content without losing anything. Fingers crossed for that hey?

In the meantime, is it easy/possible to remove the option to restrict who can view media items in a Personal Album when we create them?

I see the albums as merely an organizational overlay, not affecting the actual gallery content in any other way.
Sounds, from what Rob described, like the Albums are more closely linked to the file structuere on the server than we both thought Weasel.

It seems moving them would break their links to posts - maybe the software devs can write one of their groovy scripts for that! ;)

I personally think deleting a months worth of uploads would be a bad move. The upload process isn’t so bad that removing a couple steps is going to change it much. Like others have mentioned it’s easy to set a bookmark directly to an albums upload page. If there was a way to let users test both methods before deleting anything it would be great.

Except it not working in Internet Explorer and the occasional private gallery being created, I don’t really see a lot of complaints anymore, although I could be missing them. To me it really seems to me like the current gallery implementation expects people to use the gallery comments section instead of forum posts, and just people aren’t really in to that concept yet.

I'm having problems uploading pics to my album. Everytime I push add media I get a Crome has stopped running warning. Are you guys doing maintenance today? Or maybe it's on my end. Thanks

I'm having problems uploading pics to my album. Everytime I push add media I get a Crome has stopped running warning. Are you guys doing maintenance today? Or maybe it's on my end. Thanks
Hi again Mi,

Can you give a little bit more info? What device are you using? And which browser?
I just uploaded using my phone with no issue - that doesn’t mean there isn’t an issue, just that I didn’t encounter it.

Letting the admins know the device, browser and (if possible) browser version is necessary to them being able to help I think.

Also, sometimes glitchy issues like this can be fixed by updating the browser version. Maybe that will sort it (if you haven’t already).

They’re monitoring this thread (although not sure how much on weekends) so someone else should pop up to assist at some point.

Hey Renegade, you haven’t been around much since then. Did updating the browser sort that out? Have you been able to post pics again?

Back
Top Bottom