GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Thanks so much Carmen!

Is it nearing the point when you'll be back in action? 🗓️

You got plans? Always gotta' have a plan! :Rasta:
Getting there GDB, thanks for asking. I'll be germinating seeds in the first week of June, and there's a plan and a back up plan :) All being equal I'll be doing a @Freedom of Seeds autos grow. Sprout sent some really nice sounding seeds my way and it is now up to the postal services to make it happen. I stuck my hand into my soil which is in totes, and it is yummy.

Hello all.

Day 22 pics:

NT babies 3-14-24 D22 tent.jpg

NT babies 3-14-24 D22 eyelevel.jpg

As I was looking at them today I thought it's about time to start some more "planning."

I've been so focused on these swick bases and how the plants were going to do on them, that I haven't given much thought to what I will do next. Hell, I haven't even been counting the nodes as they emerge, something I usually keep track of.

I don't want huge plants so, depending on how quickly they grow, these will likely be flipped on or before their Day 42.

They'll be some beheadings and training between now and then. I just need to make some decisions about how to train them.

But first I need to count some nodes! :Rasta:

------------------------------

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE
GDB, looking great. Catching up…anticipating some good things with about 10 pages to go. Cheers

Good morning all and Happy Sunday!

No pics today, just words. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too many words. This is mostly for me. I'm going to begin doing status reports on my grows every 25 days. I'll bookmark the reports so I'll have a handy way of reviewing past grows at specific points in time. After doing this for a while I'll have what I believe will be lots handy reference points.

All I have to do is remember to do the status report every 25 days!

New Trick Grow Day 25

The plants are doing fairly well. They all seem to like the swick bases. The LB & HL, on Strive nutrients, are outpacing the CL & BC that are on Grow Dots. However, the former two are exhibiting canoed leaves, likely due to either heat or light stress. My guess is heat stress. We've had an unseasonably warm spell over the past week with temps nearing 80F. Inside the tent once reached as high as 99F. I've been able to mitigate a bit by leaving the tent door open during lights on. Still, temps are hovering around the mid-80s. The heatwave is due to end today, with temps returning to the 50s. That should help.

---------------------------

The LB & HL also are showing some minor leaf-tip burn. They're probably getting a tad too much N. The Strive folks say to periodically just feed plain water when using Strive. However, they don't say how often plain-water feeds should be done. They merely say to observe the plants. Well, I'm observing. I've given them nothing but nutrient feeds since they were transplanted. I guess it's time for some plain water. Rather than let their reservoirs run dry I'll top them off with plain water. Then when that diluted feed is nearly gone, I fill the reservoirs with plain water. Then after that is gone I'll start with the Strive feed again. From this point forward, I'll do the plain-water feeds at least once a week (while, of course, observing the plants and how they react).

During this grow, I'm using the 1000 watt Phlizon FD8000 for the first time. It's a big, bright galoot but it runs quite hot. There is no way to separate the driver from the body of the light. The light (along with the weather) is definitely a culprit as relates to the hot tent. I hung the light high (2 feet above the canopy) and have been running it at 100%. This put me at around 38K LUX. I need to get better at working with my grow lights. I think I'm leaving something on the table by not doing a better job managing the amount of lights my plants receive. Hopefully, not for much longer because....

...On this past Thursday, my raggedy-ass IPhone 7 finally bit the dust. It would no longer send/receive calls or text messages. (This after the selfie camera stopped working about 6 years ago and the camera display stopped rotating to horizontal about 4 years ago!) The broken selfie-cam meant that I could not use any of the light measuring apps available for cell phones. Well, yesterday I replaced my relic with a IPhone 14. I've downloaded the Photone app and will start messing with it today!

As I suspected, none of the water-level indicators on the swick bases function properly. They get stuck indicating that the reservoirs are full when they actually are not. It's not a deal breaker; one can eyeball the reservoir to see if there's water inside. I'm still going to let AC Infinity know about the issue.

----------------------------

I have not topped any of the plants yet. All I've done is remove the bottom 3 nodes from each. These plants will be a little taller than I prefer but it's my fault.

-----------------------------

My tap water comes out at a Ph of 7. I discovered that 10ml of Ph down brings a 4-gallon bucket of my tap water right to 5.8 or damn close to it!

That's all I wanted to say to myself. I'll post this page and then bookmark it as "New Trick Summary D25."

Hopefully, by the time Day 50 arrives I will not have forgotten about this new initiative! :)

Thanks for your time and have yourselves a joyous Sunday.

PEACE
GDB, I can relate…new light here and always fighting low humidity. Your plants are looking nice. Cheers

Hello all.

It's Day 34 for the 4 New Trick girls and I'm 75% pleased with what's going on!

The Cosmic Lights accounts for the remaining 25% of my feelings. She's on Grow Dots and continues her struggling ways. I'll be removing her from the group soon, as the rest will be getting flipped shortly and she ain't ready. I can put her in the 2x2 and go about trying to save her. But if my efforts don't result in some immediate, noticeable improvement, I may do something completely out of character and toss her in the trash. It's up to her.

The Blue Cindy (the other Grow Dotted plant) continues to show signs of recovery from whatever was ailing her. She's to the point where I'd have no misgivings about flipping her.

The Lemon Bubble & Hash Lover look decent. They seem to like the Strive nutrients, the environment and, now, even the light.

NT 3-26-24 D34 tent.jpg

Back: CL then BC
Front: LB then HL

-------------------------------------

I'm dropping the seeds for Phase II today. They're in shot glasses now and will be placed in Rapid Rooters tomorrow, tap roots or not.

I had another minor COP (Change of Plans) regarding Phase II, and the Chemdog #4 got bumped out of the mix. I decided instead to go with the Cap Junky and 3 more seeds from among all the freebies I have on hand. (That's another COP. I had said Phase II would be 2 plants in 5 gallon pots, now it'll be four if all goes well. (Pot sizes TBD.)

I had a lot of freebies from which to choose. Too many! :straightface:
Freebies.jpg

I ended up going with Godberry, Candy Dawg and (maybe) Fat Kids Cake. I'll say more about the strains if/when I have seedlings alive.

BTW, I say "maybe" Fat Kids Cake because I'm hoping that's what it is. A few years back, I lost track of the FKC seeds. They had come out of their package. At the time I just blew it off and picked another seed to grow. But a few months later I spotted two loose seeds in my stash bag. I grabbed, bagged and labeled them at that time. I'm thinking/hoping they're the Cakes.

---------------------------------

I've gotta' say, aside from the learning curve with the new light and the Swicks and the coco, the doubts about my light meter, the odd growth of the Dotted plants and the unexpected travails of daily pHing and monitoring pH drift, this grow has been pretty smooth! (How ya' like my rose-colored glasses! :))

Right now I'm thinking that if you ever again see me handling some coco, I'll be making a cup of hot chocolate. :straightface:
I would not trade this experience, nor would I repeat it.

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE

rose glasses.jpg
GDB, nice freebie Seeds selection, looks like a crime investigation board. Assume some Usual Suspects? Cheers

Hello gang.

It's Day 4 for the Phase II babies.

Their pucks were nearly dry this morning. Most of the water had evaporated from the bottom of the seedling tray and I had forgotten to pour any more in. I decided to go ahead and move them to solos.
NT P2 4-4-23 D4 to solos.jpg

All of these will be raised on the General Hydroponics "Maxi" nutrient series, consisting of MaxiGrow, MaxiBloom and (maybe) their "KoolBloom" ripening formula.

They were watered in sparingly with a blend of MaxiGrow (@ 1.6grams per gal.) and Big Foot mycos (@ .25 tsp. per gallon).

Thanks Shed. Unfortunately, the Lazy-Meter has developed tunnel-vision. It's sole focus is on the repetitive pHing. Chirp, chirp, chirp, everytime I reach for my pH pen! :straightface:

Thanks GV! The front two were not as adversely affected by the excess light at the outset.

Thanks Smoke. I'm beginning to think that maybe I should have flipped a tad bit earlier. They're starting to look like they may exceed the size I was trying for. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your interest.

PEACE
GDB, great set up, start of my current grow, now close to chop. Cheers
IMG_3973.jpeg

GDB, great set up, start of my current grow, now close to chop. Cheers
IMG_3973.jpeg
Looking "oddly familiar" cr8grow!

(Page 4, post #70, Stoner! 😁 )

Thanks Stone! If you recall, did you use Remo per their feed schedule?
My BIL grows with it (my away grow pics) and he mixes it to the schedule. I don't think he applies the schedule like I would, meaning his idea of watering is different than mine, but I've been with him and he works the program to the T as he sees it. I think Shed has an improved way to use it?

My BIL grows with it (my away grow pics) and he mixes it to the schedule. I don't think he applies the schedule like I would, meaning his idea of watering is different than mine, but I've been with him and he works the program to the T as he sees it. I think Shed has an improved way to use it?
I remember the BIL grow now. He grew in what looked like a roomful of mirrors! :Rasta:

Hello all.

It's Day 6 for the Phase II babies and they seem pleased to be in the solos.

Looks like the Godberry (center) is going to "grow" a bit differently than the 2 Fat Kids Cakes. Both strains have pushed out their second leaves but they don't appear to be equals!

NT P2 4-6-24 D6.jpg

This time around I'm (finally) being mindful of my tendency to under light and under water my seedlings. I'm going to be more aggressive with this group.

Thanks for stopping by.

PEACE

GDB, looking great. Catching up…anticipating some good things with about 10 pages to go. Cheers
Or just show up at the end and act like you've been here all along! :)

GDB, I can relate…new light here and always fighting low humidity. Your plants are looking nice. Cheers
Don't be like me and get blinded by the new light! :Rasta:

GDB, nice freebie Seeds selection, looks like a crime investigation board. Assume some Usual Suspects? Cheers
Thanks cr8grow.

Lot's of singles.

You get one shot. Fail and you end up like, "I wonder what that strain would have been like?" :Rasta:

Hello gang and Happy Sunday!

It's Flip7 for the New Trick girls.

I haven't seen much stretch yet and that surprises me a little. Having gone overboard initially, maybe I'm being too timid with the light. So I raised it a few inches and notched up the intensity. DLI remains at about 40, as it was before I raised the light.

NT P2 4-7-14 D7 eyelevel.jpg

The Lemon Bubble (rear left) and Hash Lover (rear right) had both emptied their reservoirs by lights-on today. Both bases had residue remaining inside so I washed them out before filling each res with a gallon of full dose Strive nutrients. The Blue Cindy in front was about half empty and got topped off with plain water + calmag.

NT P2 4-7-24 F7 tent.jpg

---------------------

Lots of Leaves

I watched @LKABudMan growing his Kush Mint on this type of swick base in his Jetson's box (@VIVOSUN vGrow) with coco. It's what nudged me to try doing the same. One of the things that stood out to me while watching his grow was the need for him to constantly remove leaves from his plant.

I've had the same experience with these. They produce leaves like crazy.

All have been constantly pruned, but today this is my reality:

BC:
Blue Cindy 4-7-24 F7.jpg

HL:
Hash Lover 4-7-24 F7.jpg

LB:
Lemon Bubble 4-7-24 F7.jpg

I'll let them go -- for the most part -- over the next week or so. Then I'll get back on them and clean them up again.

------------------------

Thanks for visiting and have yourself a pleasant, relaxing Sunday!

PEACE

Beautiful trio, GDB👍

beautiful plants, GDB.
Thanks so much Regrowth. And thanks for following along! :thanks:
Dam nice plants. :thumb: 🍋
Thanks Keith!

The start is nearing for you. Wishing you the same luck with your weed seeds as you had with your sunflower seeds! :Rasta:
Beautiful trio, GDB👍
Thanks Carcass!

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how your girl is doing.

I'm not happy about that and I urge you to consider posting updates more frequently. I know you're a busy man but...wait, that's not likely the case unless you're minding the nex-gen one!

WTF else you got to do? 😁

Back
Top Bottom