GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Hello all and Happy 420!

I've yet to finalize my plans for the Phase II babies. So I guess what I'm about to say doesn't technically count as a COP (Change of Plans), but it appears that one of the three babies will be going outside!

I love watching them grow outdoors. However, I know that if I tried it I would drive myself absolutely bonkers worrying about bugs, rot, PM, mold, storms, winds, etc. And then at the end, someone would likely steal it.

Lucky me. I have a good friend who wants to try growing one outdoors! He has a somewhat private yard that gets great sunlight. However, he's a plant lover. So nearly every spot in his yard where there is no grass already has some sort of plant growing in/on it. He assures me that he has a good spot for another plant though.

LBs yard.jpg

So I'll be taking the Fat Kid's Cake2 over to my friends place in early May. I'll provide him with Geoflora Grow and Bloom. He'll supply the pest deterrents, water and attention. Plus, he lives about 35 miles from me. So even if I get inclined to fret over the plants on the daily, I'm not going to make that drive very often. This could be a win/win!

I'm certain he will shower the plant with TLC. He's just wired like that. He loves growing plants!

We're currently getting 13.5 hours of sunshine in these parts. Is that enough to put a plant outside?

Can I go directly from solo cup into the ground or should I transplant her right away to, maybe, a 2 gallon pot?

Thanks Stone.

Like you, I'm trying to stay mindful of DLI during this grow. I've long suspected that I've been over-lighting my plants, especially near the end. Looking forward to seeing how yours (and mine) turn out! :)
So far I'm seeing less stress in leaves. Like canoe curling. Saw blade tips flatish instead of pointed up. Looking forward to terp tasting time!
Hello all and Happy 420!

I've yet to finalize my plans for the Phase II babies. So I guess what I'm about to say doesn't technically count as a COP (Change of Plans), but it appears that one of the three babies will be going outside!

I love watching them grow outdoors. However, I know that if I tried it I would drive myself absolutely bonkers worrying about bugs, rot, PM, mold, storms, winds, etc. And then at the end, someone would likely steal it.

Lucky me. I have a good friend who wants to try growing one outdoors! He has a somewhat private yard that gets great sunlight. However, he's a plant lover. So nearly every spot in his yard where there is no grass already has some sort of plant growing in/on it. He assures me that he has a good spot for another plant though.

LBs yard.jpg

So I'll be taking the Fat Kid's Cake2 over to my friends place in early May. I'll provide him with Geoflora Grow and Bloom. He'll supply the pest deterrents, water and attention. Plus, he lives about 35 miles from me. So even if I get inclined to fret over the plants on the daily, I'm not going to make that drive very often. This could be a win/win!

I'm certain he will shower the plant with TLC. He's just wired like that. He loves growing plants!

We're currently getting 13.5 hours of sunshine in these parts. Is that enough to put a plant outside?

Can I go directly from solo cup into the ground or should I transplant her right away to, maybe, a 2 gallon pot?
I'm partial to an away grow! Nice garden! Happy 420!

Unless you had any inkling that one of those three was going outside, that counts as a COP! And well done getting to be the Grand Daddy with only the good parts of parenting an outside plant. :)

In terms of moving it outside it's more about nighttime temps than light hours at this point, but speaking of light hours, the plant should be getting the number of hours it will see when it's in the ground rather than what they're probably getting now.

And I'd say upcan once before going in the ground, but that's just me.

So far I'm seeing less stress in leaves. Like canoe curling. Saw blade tips flatish instead of pointed up. Looking forward to terp tasting time!
I'm seeing a difference too Stone. Some of what I'm seeing could be related to growing in coco, but I believe monitoring the lighting has made a big difference. If nothing else, paying attention to DLI has increased my comfort level! :meditate:

Hello all and Happy 420!

LBs yard.jpg

Not enough light yet GBD they'll trigger wait until mid/end may I put mine out then and im in Michigan ive had them trigger if put them out that soon w/o supplemental lighting ✌️

Unless you had any inkling that one of those three was going outside, that counts as a COP! And well done getting to be the Grand Daddy with only the good parts of parenting an outside plant. :)

In terms of moving it outside it's more about nighttime temps than light hours at this point, but speaking of light hours, the plant should be getting the number of hours it will see when it's in the ground rather than what they're probably getting now.

And I'd say upcan once before going in the ground, but that's just me.
So how do I restrict it to 13.5 hours of light? Could I just leave it by a window? Or should I reduce the light hours for all three plants and just leave her in the tent? They're on 18/6 now.

Regarding overnight temps, it seems that as long as I get her outside by May she should have time to finish. Perhaps I should wait until nearer to the end of May?

Sheesh. My nerves are already getting frayed just from thinking about doing this! And, I just saw a big bug land on my window in the Man Cave! Undoubtedly some sort of plant-eating bug that's going to try to follow me when I take the plant to my friend's place. 😬

Idk i stick mine right outside after 18/6 light cycle no worries! They do just fine as long as you got about 15 hrs of good light i think you'll be fine ✌️
The table I looked at said that we reach a high of 14 hours 54 minutes of sunlight at the end of June and then it starts to decrease from there. 🤔

So how do I restrict it to 13.5 hours of light? Could I just leave it by a window? Or should I reduce the light hours for all three plants and just leave her in the tent? They're on 18/6 now.
Window is good if it's SW facing, but if you put an 18/6 plant outside at 13.5 hours of light it will flower if it's mature. I know Otter times his inside to match his move date.
Regarding overnight temps, it seems that as long as I get her outside by May she should have time to finish. Perhaps I should wait until nearer to the end of May?
When it finishes is entirely dependent on the variety rather than when you put it outside. If your nighttime temps are still in the 50s I'd wait.

The table I looked at said that we reach a high of 14 hours 54 minutes of sunlight at the end of June and then it starts to decrease from there. 🤔

End of May always worked for me so whatever the hrs are then, I guessed about 15 but either way if you're in the eastern time zone the end of may is GOOD!

IMG20240420122825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom