GDB: Old Dog -- New Tricks

Hello gang and Happy Sunday!

PHLIZON FD8000

I've been so caught up in trying to dial in this coco with the swicks that I've barely mentioned that I and the plants are getting pretty lit over here!

Thanks again to @PhlizonGrowLight and 420 Magazine for this much appreciated prize for my JOTY win!

The Phlizon FD8000 is a 1,000 watt full-spectrum LED. In layman's terms, that means it bright and powerful. :)

A solid build, it's a little heavy but not too heavy to handle. (It's not twice as heavy as my 500w light!)

I won't regurgitate all of the features highlighted on Phlizon's website. You can see for yourself HERE.

And I'm not going to review this light like I'm really up on light "stuff." I'm not. I figure the brighter the better and I don't give the tech specs much attention, at least not as much as I probably should. :straightface:

-----------------------------

After quickly un-packing it and setting it up (all easy) I stumbled with using the the light at the outset. This is mostly because I'm a stoner. There was no Stoner warning label saying "Warning: This light may twice as powerful as what you're replacing it with." Had I done a little reading about how Phlizon recommends using this model I may have avoided this mishap. I didn't. So the plants got overdosed with light at the beginning. Three of them were able to pull through. The exiled Cosmic Lights, not so much.

That said, this is one fine light!

Covers my 5x5 like a blanket. Even though I'm only growing 3 plants I'm certain it could handle twice as many plants (or more) in the same space. It doesn't run real hot for a light that's so powerful and - an added bonus -- it looks great in my 5x5!

NT 4-13-24 F13 tent.jpg

That's my bushy girls on yesterday, Day 13.

Some time this week I'm going to clean them up and thin them out. It's that time. The BC in the rear is already starting to produce pom poms. The plants up front will be right behind her!

Thanks Keith. The plants are due most of the credit.

SOG, that one container contains a bit of a mystery for me!

Thanks so much Stunger!

I'll post some pics of the CL tomorrow, Shed. I'm having a war of attrition with that one!

Then mine should be really happy Carcass. They get coddled too much!

What you call "candlepin" we call "duckpin." I started out bowling duckpin as a kid. My mom had me on the alleys at 4 years of age! So, I bowl ten-pin now.

I couldn't wait to be able to lift the "big balls," as I called them!

Thanks so much GV! Hoping for a successful launch!

You held on to your childhood licking stick!?

The first two games were to remove the rust Stone (150, 151), but I finished with a 227! That's not too shabby after such a long layoff.

When I stopped bowling it was to pursue golf, Smoke. I had a 214 average bowling and I'm fairly bad at golf. Go figure!

---------------------------------

Thanks for your time.

Have a wonderful and peaceful Sunday.

PEACE
Nice rig GDB looks like a GREAT SCORE ✌️

Helo gang.

It's Flip15 for the New Trick girls and they're moving along!

IMG_8624.jpg

The Blue Cindy (rear) is on the well on the way to producing pom poms. The other two (Lemon Bubble, left & Hash Lover) are not lagging far behind.

There's still a bit of stretch going on. The BC is at 14 inches above the soil. The HL is at 12 above, and the LB is about 11.5 inches above.

Any day now I'll get them cleaned up for the final stretch. The LB really needs to be thinned out!

After I took the pic above and got everybody fed, I moved the plants closer together. I'm trying to get everyone in the sweet spots of the light!

NT 4-15-24 F15 tent.jpg

The Phase II babies on their Day15 are moseying along. It looks like that the increased dose of the MaxiGrow may have prompted the Godberry (middle) to grow a little taller.

NT P2 4-15-24 D15.jpg

----------------------------------

The exiled Cosmic Lights is showing me nothing. She won't get better and she won't get worse. She drinks but she drinks very little. She won't die!

CL 4-15-24 D55.jpg

Her new growth still looks funky. I'd like to go ahead and take some cuts from her now but none of her branches looks that appealing to me.

She's 55 days above soil and soon her Grow Dots should start to wane.

Maybe in about a week I'll switch her to a different nutrient and see what happens.

---------------------------

They are a beast of a light that's what I was using on my last Canuk comparative grow 1 in each tent.
She is a beast Abs. I'm feeling pretty fortunate about now! :Rasta:
Oh you're bags are so trippy looking GD, thought it was Mr. Oogie Boogie for a whole second!
The bags do look weird, Jiggi. I can live with that! :)
I feel like I remember my PB being a 138... this is why I don't bowl on league night. I don't need that kind of negative reinforcement. :rolleyes:
LMAO Rhino! 😁
Well done on that PHLIZON light showcase GDB...looks like excellent coverage and the plants are loving it!
Thanks Shed. The light is the truth! :Rasta:
Great post, I've upgraded also and love the results. Are those 5gal fabric pots?
Thanks Kaw. They are 3 gallon pots but Vivosun says they hold more than than a "normal" 3 gallon.
What a fine Light! It really does look good in your 5 x 5!
Thanks Stone. I've seen some folks using them in 4x4s. That's a much tighter fit! :Rasta:
Fine light goes with a fine grow. 🍋
Thanks Keith. When you get your outdoor on you'll have THE finest light! 🌞
I'm being worried about that green mold-like stuff on the pots...
It's just algae KF. I think I got it from setting the pots on the full swick bases before the roots were able to handle the moisture. Algae said, if they can't use it, I will.

From what I've read it's fairly harmless. It might be pilfering a bit of my nutrients, however. :)
GDB don't have time to clean that stuff with the back to back Great grows he does , and that light is doing those plants a world of good ! Way to go on the bowling experience !!
I do periodically scrape some of it away Smoke! Thanks for the kind words. :Rasta:
Congratulations on that light!! Your little (almost big girls) ladies seem to be loving it! They have a gorgeous color, but I couldn't see the tops. I'm sure they're gorgeous as always. They were in the last pics you posted. Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! Always a pleasure when you stop by and say something nice. And that's all you ever do! :love:
You’re a class act, Black.

Five stars bruv.
Thanks Tra! And thanks for stopping by. :Rasta:
Nice rig GDB looks like a GREAT SCORE ✌️
Thank you SOG! I'd say it's a great score. 💯

--------------------------------

Thanks for taking a peek at my grow.

PEACE

The flowering trio are looking spectacular while the solo cup trio are doing their damnedest, but I still have faith that CL is going to turn around. When I replant to repair it takes about 30 days for the transformation to be complete, so there should still be time on the clock.

That said, I can't see a reason not to take a lower and stick it in the Cereal Container of Clonation (forgot the actual name :sorry: ) to see what happens.

Helo gang.

It's Flip15 for the New Trick girls and they're moving along!

IMG_8624.jpg

The Blue Cindy (rear) is on the well on the way to producing pom poms. The other two (Lemon Bubble, left & Hash Lover) are not lagging far behind.

There's still a bit of stretch going on. The BC is at 14 inches above the soil. The HL is at 12 above, and the LB is about 11.5 inches above.

Any day now I'll get them cleaned up for the final stretch. The LB really needs to be thinned out!

After I took the pic above and got everybody fed, I moved the plants closer together. I'm trying to get everyone in the sweet spots of the light!

NT 4-15-24 F15 tent.jpg

The Phase II babies on their Day15 are moseying along. It looks like that the increased dose of the MaxiGrow may have prompted the Godberry (middle) to grow a little taller.

NT P2 4-15-24 D15.jpg

----------------------------------

The exiled Cosmic Lights is showing me nothing. She won't get better and she won't get worse. She drinks but she drinks very little. She won't die!

CL 4-15-24 D55.jpg

Her new growth still looks funky. I'd like to go ahead and take some cuts from her now but none of her branches looks that appealing to me.

She's 55 days above soil and soon her Grow Dots should start to wane.

Maybe in about a week I'll switch her to a different nutrient and see what happens.

---------------------------

The bags do look weird, Jiggi. I can live with that! :)

LMAO Rhino! 😁

Thanks Shed. The light is the truth! :Rasta:

Thanks Kaw. They are 3 gallon pots but Vivosun says they hold more than than a "normal" 3 gallon.

Thanks Stone. I've seen some folks using them in 4x4s. That's a much tighter fit! :Rasta:

Thanks Keith. When you get your outdoor on you'll have THE finest light! 🌞

It's just algae KF. I think I got it from setting the pots on the full swick bases before the roots were able to handle the moisture. Algae said, if they can't use it, I will.

From what I've read it's fairly harmless. It might be pilfering a bit of my nutrients, however. :)

I do periodically scrape some of it away Smoke! Thanks for the kind words. :Rasta:

Thanks Bode! Always a pleasure when you stop by and say something nice. And that's all you ever do! :love:

Thanks Tra! And thanks for stopping by. :Rasta:

Thank you SOG! I'd say it's a great score. 💯

Thanks for taking a peek at my grow.

PEACE
plants are looking good i think the CL don't like grow dots

I'm trying to get everyone in the sweet spots of the light!
The whole tent is probably the sweet spot..
The CL is odd, but the rest of 'em are doing great....
Yeah, you're getting good at this stuff, GDB👍

Hopefully you don't have the same issues I had where they wouldn't turn off completely they had a dull glow in the off position, I had to get 2 replacement drivers for the 2 lights . But they work well now .
With the weight of the light and when the plants get bigger you can see why I made a light lifter 🙂 especially if you run a scroll you can't raise the light as needed.

The flowering trio are looking spectacular while the solo cup trio are doing their damnedest, but I still have faith that CL is going to turn around. When I replant to repair it takes about 30 days for the transformation to be complete, so there should still be time on the clock.

That said, I can't see a reason not to take a lower and stick it in the Cereal Container of Clonation (forgot the actual name :sorry: ) to see what happens.
Thanks Shed.

To be clear, I did not transplant CL. I only removed her from the swick base and put her under less harsh lighting.

I'll definitely take some cuts before I give up on her completely. I'm no hurry though. It's a game of attrition! :Rasta:

plants are looking good i think the CL don't like grow dots
I'm not so certain about that con. She was badly treated in other ways so it's hard for me to pin the blame solely on the Dots. :straightface:

I'm going to tell you something GDB you are good at this. :green_heart: 🍋
That's a very nice thing to say Keith.

Ninety-nine percent of what I know about growing weed I've learned here on 420 Magazine. That means I owe a debt not only to the founders & staff but to many of the members -- like you! :Rasta:

Hopefully you don't have the same issues I had where they wouldn't turn off completely they had a dull glow in the off position, I had to get 2 replacement drivers for the 2 lights . But they work well now .
With the weight of the light and when the plants get bigger you can see why I made a light lifter 🙂 especially if you run a scroll you can't raise the light as needed.
No issues so far, Abs. I'll admit she's not the easiest light to raise but I've used another in the past that was way more difficult! :)

The light looks great GDB, as do the 3 main flowering plants. Hopefully the Cosmic Lights will turn around or be a funky special bud producer when she flowers.
Thanks Stunger. If the CL turns around, well, that would be truly Cosmic! :Rasta:

The whole tent is probably the sweet spot..
The CL is odd, but the rest of 'em are doing great....
Yeah, you're getting good at this stuff, GDB👍
The whole tent nearly is the sweet spot, Carcass! However, there is a drop-off in each corner. The 2 plants up front were starting to grow closer to the 2 front corners so I moved them just a tad inward. (That means I actually looked at the ppfd map for this light! :p)

You are one of the first growers I latched onto when I joined here (along with @Virgin Ground, @West Hippie and @InTheShed). I learned a ton from you folks. So when you compliment me on how far I've come, you owe yourself a pat on the back too! :Rasta:

Yea lol there's no avoiding the sweet spot 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah, pretty much Abs! One would have to try real hard to put them in a place where they'd be wanting for light. :Rasta:

Hello plant lovers!

It's Flip17 for the New Trick girls and I'll keep this quick.

Everything seems to be progressing normally.

The plants look content.
There are no blemishes.
They're drinking.
They're barely losing any leaves.
They're all setting bud sites.

NT 4-17-24 F17 tent above.jpg

Not much to say other than that.

The Blue Cindy in the rear is on Grow Dots. I've been keeping an eye out for signs that they may be diminishing (which I've seen them do around this stage). So far though, she shows no signs of letting up!

The Lemon Bubble (left) and Hash Lover are both on Strive 2-part nutrients and they seem as pleased as can be. I recently considering going to alternating feeds for them (feed/water) but then decided against it. I'm now doing feed/feed/water. I think I'll stick with that unless something goes awry.

I faced a decision today about whether to keep aiming for an even canopy. I could have tied/weighed down those perimeter branches at least one more time. It would keep the canopy relatively even but it would also make each plant somewhat wider.

I chose the "keep them compact" approach. Level canopies are nice but sometimes they come at a price. Wide plants tend to become unwieldy, at least for me. Too much trouble to move around -- all in your face when you lift them. Narrower plants I can kind of duck under to pick them up!

I'm boring you, aren't I? :)

Okay, moving right along too...

The Phase II babies where I'm sure the 2 Fat Kid's Cakes would not mind some bigger shoes! Their cups are full of roots and they're ready to move on.

The Godberry (middle), on the other hand, seems to be saying to me, "Oh. So you want to grow a plant like @Carcass, huh?" 😁

No. Seriously, she has lots of healthy roots too. She's just such a shorty!

NT P2 4-17-24 D17.jpg

I'll be transplanting these in the near future but I haven't made a "Plan" yet.

Gotta' have a plan! :Rasta:

----------------------------

And speaking of plans for the next step of this grow, I guess I got started today. The only clean pots I have are 5 and 7 gallon ones. I don't really want to wrestle with either size.

So today was pot washing day! :theband:

I loaded up 21 pots in a trash bag and took them to the laundromat. Mostly 3 gallons but a few 5s and 2s, as well. I really like putting dirty, salt encrusted pots in the washer and getting relatively pristine ones out!
pot washing day.jpg

I would never subject my washing machine at home to this kind of job. :straightface:

As always, thanks for your visit!

PEACE

Hello plant lovers!

It's Flip17 for the New Trick girls and I'll keep this quick.

Everything seems to be progressing normally.

The plants look content.
There are no blemishes.
They're drinking.
They're barely losing any leaves.
They're all setting bud sites.

NT 4-17-24 F17 tent above.jpg

Not much to say other than that.

The Blue Cindy in the rear is on Grow Dots. I've been keeping an eye out for signs that they may be diminishing (which I've seen them do around this stage). So far though, she shows no signs of letting up!

The Lemon Bubble (left) and Hash Lover are both on Strive 2-part nutrients and they seem as pleased as can be. I recently considering going to alternating feeds for them (feed/water) but then decided against it. I'm now doing feed/feed/water. I think I'll stick with that unless something goes awry.

I faced a decision today about whether to keep aiming for an even canopy. I could have tied/weighed down those perimeter branches at least one more time. It would keep the canopy relatively even but it would also make each plant somewhat wider.

I chose the "keep them compact" approach. Level canopies are nice but sometimes they come at a price. Wide plants tend to become unwieldy, at least for me. Too much trouble to move around -- all in your face when you lift them. Narrower plants I can kind of duck under to pick them up!

I'm boring you, aren't I? :)

Okay, moving right along too...

The Phase II babies where I'm sure the 2 Fat Kid's Cakes would not mind some bigger shoes! Their cups are full of roots and they're ready to move on.

The Godberry (middle), on the other hand, seems to be saying to me, "Oh. So you want to grow a plant like @Carcass, huh?" 😁

No. Seriously, she has lots of healthy roots too. She's just such a shorty!

NT P2 4-17-24 D17.jpg

I'll be transplanting these in the near future but I haven't made a "Plan" yet.

Gotta' have a plan! :Rasta:

----------------------------

And speaking of plans for the next step of this grow, I guess I got started today. The only clean pots I have are 5 and 7 gallon ones. I don't really want to wrestle with either size.

So today was pot washing day! :theband:

I loaded up 21 pots in a trash bag and took them to the laundromat. Mostly 3 gallons but a few 5s and 2s, as well. I really like putting dirty, salt encrusted pots in the washer and getting relatively pristine ones out!
pot washing day.jpg

I would never subject my washing machine at home to this kind of job. :straightface:

As always, thanks for your visit!

PEACE
plants are looking great plants are ready to up pot a bunch of clean pots nothing left to do but buy a lottery ticket, NICE!

plants are looking great plants are ready to up pot a bunch of clean pots nothing left to do but buy a lottery ticket, NICE!
Thanks con.

I bought a mega-millions ticket a few weeks ago and won $4 for having the mega(?) ball. I think I've probably shot my wad as far as lotteries go for the next few years. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom