Greetings from northern Ontario! Grow cab in very early stages

Well as of the moment I've been considering, well...planning is more like it, to build a cabinet (stealth) for my 1st grow.
Right now I'm highly motivated by the financial costs of my medications, the LPs are too expensive, even with compassionate pricing. Besides, itll give me something positive to work with when able (i have nerve damage, that can and often does incapacitate me).
My space is limited, and the cabinet size will be approximately 5 feet in height, 4x3 feet for width and length.
I managed to get a pretty sweet deal on a 2000W full spectrum led, however as I'm just worried about it being too much light for the plants with that size cabinet. It's not the heat, as theres will be a passive intake sitting next to a portable air conditioner (that's currently used to cool the room the cab will be in). I also got a 4", high CFM fan (sorry not home this week and dont remember name and stats) with an activated charcoal filter, which will sit inside of the cab for exhaust.
For growing medium I found a local source for a organic living soil that'll provide its nutrients (a super soil that I believe is based upon the subcool super soil recipe?). I'd link or name the manufacturer, but need to refresh myself on the forum rules before doing so.
Been reading many forums, books, etc to do my research, so far I keep coming back to this forum! So here I am :)

So here's to hoping I dont have to swap my light! Lol

Oh and I've already got a bunch of other stuff such as Ec meter, etc that came with the package. I basically bought somebody's 1 time used 4x4 tent package and managed to trade just the tent for a 1 year old portable air conditioner in a separate deal and kept the rest to go towards my cab build.

Welcome to 420,Rexer :welcome:

Your light should be fine for an area that size-I know it's called a 2000 watt light,but what you really need to go by is the actual watt draw from the wall-you'll have 12 square feet of floorspace in there,and you'll need a minimum of 35 actual watts per sq ft to grow effectively,so if your light pulls 420 watts at the wall-it'll be ok.
If it only pulls,say,300 actual watts,then it would effectively illuminate 9 sq ft-so you grow a few less plants in there.
I'm growing with a cheapie full spectrum 1000 watt light,which draws 200 actual watts-I grow in only 4 sq ft ,so I'm getting 50 actual watts per sq ft,which is more than the minimum,but not "too much" light.
The actual watt draw of your light will either be mentioned in the paperwork that came with the light,or on the little data sticker on the light itself.

Welcome. Seems that you have most of what you need to get started. I look forward to your grow journal.

Welcome to 420,Rexer :welcome:

Your light should be fine for an area that size-I know it's called a 2000 watt light,but what you really need to go by is the actual watt draw from the wall-you'll have 12 square feet of floorspace in there,and you'll need a minimum of 35 actual watts per sq ft to grow effectively,so if your light pulls 420 watts at the wall-it'll be ok.
If it only pulls,say,300 actual watts,then it would effectively illuminate 9 sq ft-so you grow a few less plants in there.
I'm growing with a cheapie full spectrum 1000 watt light,which draws 200 actual watts-I grow in only 4 sq ft ,so I'm getting 50 actual watts per sq ft,which is more than the minimum,but not "too much" light.
The actual watt draw of your light will either be mentioned in the paperwork that came with the light,or on the little data sticker on the light itself.

Awesome to know and hear! 1 less bit of stress, truly appreciate you answering!
I just did a quick Google on the lights, says 390 actual draw.
so I'll see how it goes and if need be I can add in some side lighting.

hiya rexer

nobody tossed these links at you i see

Helpful Links For New Members

have a boo thru those to get an idea of where stuff is on the site, and the best forums to get ideas / answers to specific questions. make sure you get a grow journal up when you get set up, that's where most of the action is.

meanwhile why not post up what you got going on here as well : Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup

it's a great place for set up ideas and feed back on grow space builds.

hope to see you abouts. :)

hiya rexer

nobody tossed these links at you i see

Helpful Links For New Members

have a boo thru those to get an idea of where stuff is on the site, and the best forums to get ideas / answers to specific questions. make sure you get a grow journal up when you get set up, that's where most of the action is.

meanwhile why not post up what you got going on here as well : Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup

it's a great place for set up ideas and feed back on grow space builds.

hope to see you abouts. :)
Hi bluter! Thanks! Yeah I read through the cabinet, closet & grow room setup...tis partially what got me lurking on here....lots more reading to do!

I do plan on doing a build & 1st grow journal (best I can...dont know if i can write one up half as good as a few I've read on here!!

I'm still working on my purchase list, haven't decided yet if I'm going to register with health Canada to do it as my medical grow, or if I should just keep my prescription through the LPs and just grow under the recreational 4 plant regs.

Starting without even the tools, just picked up a cordless set to be able to cut and assemble the cab, whenever I get funds for the materials. I've got a bunch of spare 1 inch styrofoam insulation around the house, think I might even go and insulate it, itll be a pretty negligible amount of space lost to add the insulation, which might save my butt in a power outage.

Hi Rex and welcome. :ciao:

Bro, you lucked out because Carcass has near unlimited knowledge about the art of growing in tight spaces successfully ! :yahoo:

If you don't mind, I'm going to munch out and watch this grow. :popcorn:

Just my two cents.

Cheers !

Wick :morenutes:

P.S. You'll get more help (if wanted), if you start a "grow journal".

Hi Rex and welcome. :ciao:

Bro, you lucked out because Carcass has near unlimited knowledge about the art of growing in tight spaces successfully ! :yahoo:

If you don't mind, I'm going to munch out and watch this grow. :popcorn:

Just my two cents.

Cheers !

Wick :morenutes:

P.S. You'll get more help (if wanted), if you start a "grow journal".

Thanks John Wick! I will start a grow journal, which will also include the build from start to finish, everytime I go into that room my mind wonders away and can visualize everything...to say the itch is there to lower the ridiculous cost of my medication is an understatement.
I plan to start my grow journal once everything is in place and the build starts.

Well...I'm already humbled by the great welcome and friendliness of all who replied, Carcass has already managed to be of great help, I found all kinds of info on min and ideal lighting, but was feeling worried I had missed something about maximum lighting. Not to lie, at this point my eyes seem to gloss over when getting into the math, so for Carcass to take the time to reassure me was a kindness.
And the lights are the Bestiva 2000W full spectrum.
The soil comes from Wedgeport Nova Scotia, which I found when searching for Canadian super soil producers, I could only find the one? and if the soil lives up to its claims, will be of great help as well.
I figure for watering I will be buying and using a system from the Canadian irrigation sponsor on here, which will be hooked up to an external reservoir. I think I'll feed them into halo rings which will sit in air pots or fabric pots. The very base of the cabinet will have a drain reservoir and pump with float to drain into an external bucket. I'm going to try and keep the need to open and enter the cab to as minimal a time as possible.

I think like every new build to grow, I've got a long list of wishes....just cant wait to turn it into reality.

Thank you for the kind words!
And speaking of watering... @Emilya ,a very knowledgeable member here,has put together a
tutorial on watering that you may want to look at- overwatering is a big problem on some first grows,so this might help you avoid that "pothole" in the road to a successful grow:

*The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

And speaking of watering... @Emilya ,a very knowledgeable member here,has put together a
tutorial on watering that you may want to look at- overwatering is a big problem on some first grows,so this might help you avoid that "pothole" in the road to a successful grow:

That's a solid piece of information.

Dang straight, it is. :)

That was quite the good read!! And great info, glad I'm talking to everyone here in advance!

Cabinet has been built and grow journal started!

So here's the completed cabinet! Figured I should update the thread with a picture of it. I took tons of photos throughout the build and learned a lot a long the way. I've never built anything before, zero carpentry experience, and the bit I did know was from my youth. I will get around to the build journal, but at the moment all my energy is on getting my 1st grow in, and getting my outdoor kratky garden setup (non medicinal).

Ps I can use some help if peeps dont mind dropping by my grow journal!!

So..back to the cabinet!

It has no visible hinges, can accommodate a small portable A/C inside it if need be. Everything is automated as much as I could afford (I wanted to remove as much human error and challenge for my grow as I could!). There is a wifi temperature controller which I have hooked up to two fans (6 inch extraction and a temp exterior booster fan to take advantage of mother nature's AC, in warm weather I'll turn on AC.

I built two flood tables, using mortar tubs and ebb and flow kits. The cabinet was designed by panels, it can be taken apart and moved out of room if need be. To fill the 75L reservoir I use a pump and a bucket in bathtub and pump it full.

The cabinet has a wifi smart powerbar with programmable schedules.

A humidity controller hooked up to mini humidifier and dehumidifier.

4 inch fan on all time moving air from bottom of cabinet beside intake port to an oscillating tower fan.

Intake and exhaust use spring loaded dampers to seal when fans are off.

All air coming in goes through a Hepa filter to move pollen,dust etc.

I have a pan cam inside to fulfill my constant desire to check on my grow, can also make meat time lapse videos.

Air pump is suspended by strings to reduce vibrations and noise. Intake for air pump is fed from outside the cabinet. Three airstones inside of it. 1 in each flood table (under the flood table lids) and 1 big airstone in reservoir.

And last but not least is the security function. With a youngster in the house I wanted to avoid tents and went with an insulated cabinet that can be used in unheated places (so long as it's got electricity).
When power goes out, door is set to fail secure and wont open.
And to open the door, you need the remote or the ability to figure out where the egress button has been carefully hidden. Door is secured by deadbolt.

This build has been a great form of rehabilitation for me. There were so many rough days, tears and blood quite literally lol. But being able to see progress everyday was comforting.

Now that I'm pretty much done, im thinking I will do my 1st grow, finish off some light touches and sell it to try building another.

Thanks everyone for the interest and reading my rambles!

Feel free to drop by the grow journal!

15864563168402802298994964696138.jpg20200409_124530.jpg20200309_131513.jpg20200220_125037.jpg

Northern ontario eh? I always loved the northern part of the province. Im stuck down in the southwest and its like being in the united states more than canada. Not to mention the damn humidity! Haha

Hey cannacris!
Southwest....hmm London area? To be honest, I've never been happier to live in the northern part, never was a big city guy.

And this week we're in pretty high humidity as well, rain warning in effect (even lost power for a bit last night).

Im even more down the funnel lol by the detroit border. I guess theres no way to avoid that humidity. Summer time here is brutal man, the humidity is insaine! Long as it stays 40 inside , im good. Lol! This nice weather is making me antsy to put some out!

Back
Top Bottom