Grow #2 - Auto Blueberry - 2'x2.5' - Citi & Osram COB

Blueberry Auto (blue pot) @ day 68
Hindu Kush Auto (orange pot) @ day 62
Barney's Pineapple Express (supercrop oops) @ day 26
Barney's Pineapple Express x2 @ day 14

I hope readers are having a nice weekend. I have family in town this pm till monday, so probably will not get a pull and trichome check tomorrow-it's good-I need something to make me patient.

Temps have been 77 and under, RH is around 50% with nighttime values as low as 45%. Past two days I was running the citis only at 195w or so, today their getting around 160w with both the osrams and citis running. The lights are still 18" off the HK canopy. I have noticed that my osrams put out slightly more heat than the citis, so to keep tent temps below 78 with my house temp at 77-78, I can either run the citis up to about 210, or both the citis and osrams up to about 165w.

I need to figure out where I am going to dry this stuff and not stink up the whole house. Best option right now is a cardboard box for darkness with strings, put it next to the tent. Right now the RH outside the tent is about 55-60, so that should work...any other ideas are welcome.

Blueberry - I pulled today and looked at the buds, it looks the same. I see a few unripe pistols here and there. I still think it will change in the next week/10 days. It's still moist at the soil, I raked it slightly. The smell is getting more 'floral' or 'sweet' to me vs just smelling dank. It still has the dank smell, but it's more fruity and sweet with more depth to it. Still guessing maybe 40g dry. I did not take microscope snips today.

IMG_238921.jpg

Hindu Kush - This plant's buds have been filling out since the flush. It's looking like maybe 3-4x of the Blueberry. If it ripens at the same rate as the blueberry, it still has 2-3 weeks. Buds look immature, maybe 20% on the pistols darkening. I gave 1.5 liters with 5ml of Big Bloom and 2 ml of Tiger Bloom. IMO it still could use the phosphate, and since I took runoff to 100ppm on this plant earlier last week, I figured some nutes would not hurt. It's only 300 ppm. pH was around 5.5.

The second photo below is the far right cola in the first photo, I have about 6 that size or larger on the plant excluding the main cola.

:Namaste:

IMG_238536.jpg
IMG_238625.jpg

Pineapple Express - Each plant got maybe 100-150ml of big bloom @ around 250ppm. The oldest is looking a little leggy, and I have one youth plant that just wants to lay on the ground, it will get over it. I assume the legginess is from the shading from the HK, not much I can do about this until monday and put them under a couple 65w CFL in the veg area - thinking about it but not there yet.

IMG_238724.jpg
IMG_238828.jpg

The Blueberry is starting to show yellowing on the top fan leaves which I hear means that the end is coming soon, as the plant is pulling the last sugars from the top. It looks similar to mine with the top cola and then a tiny gap between that and the split buds just below.

The HK should be a good producer with all that branching! And some of those sides buds could be tops on other plants. Everything looks good, including the babies. Once they get bigger they probably deserve their own journal!

The Blueberry is starting to show yellowing on the top fan leaves which I hear means that the end is coming soon, as the plant is pulling the last sugars from the top. It looks similar to mine with the top cola and then a tiny gap between that and the split buds just below.

The HK should be a good producer with all that branching! And some of those sides buds could be tops on other plants. Everything looks good, including the babies. Once they get bigger they probably deserve their own journal!

I am hoping the BB gets done before the plant dies. This worries me with the setback I had with the pH meter. (I calibrated again yesterday).
I don't want too much couch lock, but I don't want racy weed either.

Those split buds below the top on the BB-I pulled them off the center stem a bit last week intentionally to improve light/air flow. It looked like a big chunk o bud and with my humidity in the higher 50s occasionally I wanted as much circulation as possible.

The HK is shocking me. It was freebie seed, I think I have about 15 more. If they all grow this well, I am wondering how they ended up in the freebie bin. I love afghani and other land race stuff, although this is crossed with the russian plant and is a hybrid, excited to see how it smokes. Who knows, it might be weak and a crappy smoke?

I took a peek at the plants this morning. First time looking at the Hindu Kush with the loupe, the trichomes on that plant look whiter than on the blueberry. Now I am wigged out that I did something to the blueberry that made it not want to go amber with all the pH/nute issues...

I don't think that could be possible...who knows.

The HK is already dry to the touch...man that plant takes up water/nutes like crazy. I might give another liter of just Big Bloom tomorrow.

I pulled another lower bud piece off of the Blueberry and it's probably about 48% white, 50% clear and 2% amber. Have to really search to find amber. Most of the clear trichomes have some 'turning' white to them, where it looks a little foggier in a portion of the trichome.

I hope I did not kill the roots and halt the progress somehow. I figured if I did that the plant would have turned south quicker than just it's gradual demise.

I have no gameplan to proceed forward other than wait. lol

I took a peek at the plants this morning. First time looking at the Hindu Kush with the loupe, the trichomes on that plant look whiter than on the blueberry. Now I am wigged out that I did something to the blueberry that made it not want to go amber with all the pH/nute issues...I pulled another lower bud piece off of the Blueberry and it's probably about 48% white, 50% clear and 2% amber. Have to really search to find amber. Most of the clear trichomes have some 'turning' white to them, where it looks a little foggier in a portion of the trichome.
I hope I did not kill the roots and halt the progress somehow. I figured if I did that the plant would have turned south quicker than just it's gradual demise.
I have no gameplan to proceed forward other than wait. lol

My Blueberry isn't turning amber either and it's on day 75 of a 55-day breeder's spec. Someone on my journal was recommending taking a small piece off and quick-drying it to smoke and see if it was ready, but since curing affects the effects I'm not sure how that can be an accurate gauge. I'm just going to keep waiting.

I read on another site that one guy doesn't harvest until all his bud fans are yellow. Someone commented that their fans didn't go yellow and that may be because they were still adding nitrogen. Not sure if it's too late for you to try that to get some green into the leaves but it might be worth considering.

I did a complete flush today of Blue 1 and the whole process should be up on my journal in about 20 minutes. Really slow photo upload from home!

Your HK has so much stem I can see why it's sucking up the water!

Blueberry Auto (blue pot) @ day 69
Hindu Kush Auto (orange pot) @ day 63
Barney's Pineapple Express (supercrop oops) @ day 27
Barney's Pineapple Express x2 @ day 15

Figured I would post some bud progress since i have not had a trichome shot in a few days.

Shed-I am thinking 80 days now.

Hindu Kush - this plant looks ahead of the BB in the trichome area, however it still has a ton of white pistols and is still girthing in the bud dept.

IMG_239827.jpg
IMG_239125.jpg
IMG_239225.jpg
IMG_239321.jpg

Blueberry - it's weird to me that the pistols are so far ahead but the trichomes are barely showing any white. The microscope does beat the hell out of the loupe bc you can actually see into an individual trichome at the lowest setting. These photos are out of a loupe with an iphone.

IMG_239728.jpg
IMG_239625.jpg
IMG_239523.jpg
IMG_239425.jpg

I agree that the BB still has more clear trichs and the HK looks almost 100% cloudy. I think it's best not to compare the finishes (or the start for that matter...my runty AK is now the same size as my Blueberry 1!). Try to imagine you only had one plant and you wouldn't be concerned about how soon it's going to finish!

OK, I took enough off for a bowl, going to try the toaster, will post up when I stop coughing.

Smoke Report - Blueberry

OK, I took what I had pinched off the plant, it was some lower larfy stuff. I put it in a foil canoe and set on top of the toaster at the lowest setting, I ran it 5 times, with 10-15 minutes between runnings.

On examination it was dryer than I like. Under the microscope most of the visable trichome heads were still intact, they just appeared laying down. It's cool to see the effects of the heat under the scope.

I have not smoked today, smoked last night....The amount I had to roll was less than I would normally put into a joint. Started at 745, done at 755, feel stoned at the moment, not too intense-very heady but not raceing, light fingertips, but if I had another one I would be messed up (typical for me with a new strain). I usually get photosensitive when smoking, and I am not with this which is very unusual. Heady, but a peaceful heady.

I don't sleep well. Started using Ambien back in 2001. This year with the use of smoking I have not had an ambien. Weed does not really make me sleepy, but it does relax me. This is a very relaxing smoke.

On a scale 1-10, 10 being epic
Smell of weed after quick cure - 1, smells like broccoli cooked in the microwave.
Smoothness on the intake - 9 or 10, seriously.
Taste on intake - 1 or 2
Smoothness on exhale - 9 or 10, even when I was smoking the last of the joint.
Not a lung crusher, but tastes like I am smoking my horse's alfalfa.
How stoned-I am prob a 5/10. Had I smoked a normal amount ...wow. Not the strongest stuff I have had, but it will do. Feel like I have a good 15-30 minute buzz of that amount.

So, my take...it's good now, but a few more days and a good week o drying + cure and I might shock myself. My wife commented that the smoke smelt like cigarette smoke..I noticed this as well. Thoughts?

Smoke Report - Blueberry

OK, I took what I had pinched off the plant, it was some lower larfy stuff. I put it in a foil canoe and set on top of the toaster at the lowest setting, I ran it 5 times, with 10-15 minutes between runnings.

On examination it was dryer than I like. Under the microscope most of the visable trichome heads were still intact, they just appeared laying down. It's cool to see the effects of the heat under the scope.

I have not smoked today, smoked last night....The amount I had to roll was less than I would normally put into a joint. Started at 745, done at 755, feel stoned at the moment, not too intense-very heady but not raceing, light fingertips, but if I had another one I would be messed up (typical for me with a new strain). I usually get photosensitive when smoking, and I am not with this which is very unusual. Heady, but a peaceful heady.

I don't sleep well. Started using Ambien back in 2001. This year with the use of smoking I have not had an ambien. Weed does not really make me sleepy, but it does relax me. This is a very relaxing smoke.

On a scale 1-10, 10 being epic
Smell of weed after quick cure - 1, smells like broccoli cooked in the microwave.
Smoothness on the intake - 9 or 10, seriously.
Taste on intake - 1 or 2
Smoothness on exhale - 9 or 10, even when I was smoking the last of the joint.
Not a lung crusher, but tastes like I am smoking my horse's alfalfa.
How stoned-I am prob a 5/10. Had I smoked a normal amount ...wow. Not the strongest stuff I have had, but it will do. Feel like I have a good 15-30 minute buzz of that amount.

So, my take...it's good now, but a few more days and a good week o drying + cure and I might shock myself. My wife commented that the smoke smelt like cigarette smoke..I noticed this as well. Thoughts?

First off, congrats on getting off the Ambien! Dope is way better for you than that shit. Secondly, microwave broccoli yuck (not that I don't eat it)! Third, the rest of your description is very revealing. The harshness, cigarette smell, alfalfa taste should all be fixed by the curing process (which should be more than a week from all I've read...remember I'm growing my first crop).

Sounds like a few more days should do it. It may not be a strain that produces a long high (without the couchlock you don't want) and the fact that you didn't get photosensitive should be a good thing!

Great review btw :goodjob:

I may try an experiment when I get everything done. Heat a small bud that way and then try in a vape. If it has the same effects as the regularly cured stuff with no smell....that may come in handy.

Blueberry Auto (blue pot) @ day 70
Hindu Kush Auto (orange pot) @ day 64
Barney's Pineapple Express (supercrop oops) @ day 28
Barney's Pineapple Express x2 @ day 16

Interesting day. I decided to pull blueberry to take some cuts for the scope. The HK was dry, so I gave her 2L pH6.5 250ppm big bloom. Smoked a Tangerine Dream joint (ok stuff, probably harvested too early).

Blueberry - The cuts I took (4) have about 4% uniform ambering, with probably about 20% still clear. I am thinking we are day to day at the moment. I plan on taking it by this Thursday. The pot was lighter, I guess the flush 'reset' it to take up water....too funny, but I will not be so paranoid about flushing in the future. I did not give any water. I have read that this can assist resin production...I think that is subjective.

One note on the trichomes-I am using a microscope vs a loupe, and I read that a trichrome is in one of three states-glass, white or amber. That is an oversimplification. I see some that fit that bill, but mostly there in a state between the two. Some have 30% white, some are partially amber, some are round, some are mushroom shaped. I honestly think the 20% amber with a loupe method may very well put the herb past what quite a few people want. Anyway, with the loupe my plant is no amber and maybe 50/50 clear white, but with a microscope, it's a very different story.

IMG_239927.jpg
IMG_240032.jpg
IMG_240128.jpg
IMG_240231.jpg
IMG_240333.jpg

Hindu Kush - to me this plant looks a solid white with the loupe and under the scope it looks about 10% clear, 2% amber. The plant is still taking up water well, and there is still bud growth, and new pistols. So what happens with an auto when we are there, but plant is still chugging along....I guess we cut. I am happier with the trichome situation on this plant vs bb, it's almost frosty, and there is a metric ton of it, I am guessing this plant will make some decent hash from the trim. 2nd photo shows one of the side branches...idk if yield would be better if I trained or topped or cropped. At around 140 avg watts used, I think this plant is going to come close to the gram/watt category. We will see.
IMG_240429.jpg
IMG_240533.jpg
IMG_240629.jpg

Nothing done on the Pineapple Express.

As long as the HK is sucking up water it's probably still putting on weight. My Blue 1 stopped drying out about a week ago and so I'm just waiting for it to ripen. Interesting on the flush resetting it to take up water. I'll let you know if I see anything similar. Today mine still weighs a ton!

I'm not seeing amber on your Blue pics but that may just be what they look like on here.

First grow is here...

1st Grow - 2x2.5 Tent - Bogglegum - LED Moving To COB

Everything went well, except they turned out to be dudes. Bummer but learning experience. I think I picked up a few things on setup, watering, care, plus I might move some stuff around in the tent. I trimmed them up because there was a little sticky and threw it into a ziplock in the freezer to incorporate into any additional trim for some bubble hash. I know this cutting will be lower yield and quantity-but I figure it will not hurt to add it to future trims for something.

So on to Grow #2
What strain is it?
Auto Blueberry
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Indica mostly
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Just started-seeds are soaking
If in Veg... For how long?
AUTO
If in Flower stage... For how long?
AUTO
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
Soil or Hydro?
Mostly Soilless
If soil... what is in your mix?
FFOF 15%, Light Warrior 60%, Perlite 25%, moistened with 1qt of RODI water
If soil... What size pot?
Straight into 5 gallon fabric pots after seeds sprout.
Size of light?
4x3500K Citi CLU048-1212 Cobs on a dimmer, max watts ~215, 2x660nM Osram SSL80, max watts ~48, from Timbergrowlights
Is it aircooled?
AC house kept below 80 all the darn time, fans above lights.
Temp of Room/cab?
65-80F
RH of Room/cab?
40-60%

Seeds went into water around 2pm yesterday, tonight into paper towel. NLT Thursday night into pots-not going to transplant these. I go out of town Fri-Sun so they will get transplanted before I leave. One looks like they are already cracking. Prob will only update once a week until it gets interesting. Day 1 will start on when they pop from soil.

I plan to be more aggressive on both nutes and soil. Less worried about pH out-there is so much skew/sample reading in that number that I feel like it's only relevant in very few scenarios. pH of water/nutes going in will not be above 6.8 and more closer to 6.2.

I hope to break 200g with this grow, that might be high since this is truly my 'first grow', although I feel like I will be less worried about giving nutes and watering-feel like I came away with a good idea of 'do this here'.

Here is seed description: "Blue Berry Auto is a beautiful inbred cross of a Lowryder #2 male an original Blueberry mother. This auto-flower matures in 70-75 days from germination. The resulting plant is a vigorous and potent. This auto-flower strain has excellent side branching. Although some of the blue hues from the mother have been lost in the cross, this strain retains its mothers fruity taste. Easy to grow and good in cold weather. Good for beginners."

Feel free to follow, comment, criticize, tell jokes, or talk about your growing...
I don't know what type of blueberry do exactly have but I never experienced a hybrid blueberry that is truly a blueberry strain. Blueberry is a pure Indica strain FYI. Not acting like a smart-ass just a little heads up.
Happy growing,
Jgrow

I don't know what type of blueberry do exactly have but I never experienced a hybrid blueberry that is truly a blueberry strain. Blueberry is a pure Indica strain FYI. Not acting like a smart-ass just a little heads up.
Happy growing,
Jgrow

I've got two blueberries growing and the breeder says:
Blueberry (advertised specs: 15/85 indica dominant, ~14%THC)

I'm guessing that nobodyhere is quoting the breeder, that's all we can do when we fill in the blanks on starting a grow journal.

Back
Top Bottom