Hafta's 100% Sativa Panama Multi-Stage Harvest CST Plus Droughting

In preparation for droughting I made the following template.

I took a photo, printed it out, drew lines for the leaf angle, measured the angle, and drew lines for a 50% change in the angle.

Drought fixture-1.JPG

I then copied the picture and cut out a template (re-enforced with tape)

Drought fixture-2.JPG

I punched a hole and hung it on the cola

Drought fixture-3.JPG

Quick and easy determination of LWA

In preparation for droughting I made the following template.

I took a photo, printed it out, drew lines for the leaf angle, measured the angle, and drew lines for a 50% change in the angle.

Drought fixture-1.JPG

I then copied the picture and cut out a template (re-enforced with tape)

Drought fixture-2.JPG

I punched a hole and hung it on the cola

Drought fixture-3.JPG

Quick and easy determination of LWA
Good idea, man!

Phase 3 ..... Droughting

The plant has had four days to recover from Phase 2 harvest. I removed about thirty branches, all but a handful had been previously harvested in Phase 1. They are currently in the Drying box.

Here is the procedure I will try to follow and the reasoning behind it. PLEASE make suggestions, comments, ask questions etc. I will begin this procedure tomorrow.

From what I understand from reading other threads and articles referenced in those threads, droughting is a technique that discontinues watering/fertigating the growing medium and allowing the plant to remove all moisture from that medium. This process, in soil, takes approximately eleven days. The process is deemed complete when the LWA equals 50% of the original leaf to branch angle.

I am growing hydro in a 20 gallon reservoir with 16 gallons of solution. One gallon equals 1/2" of water level. There is normally 2" air space between the res level and the res lid.
RDWC, top feed, 4 high capacity air-stones.

This plant consistently consumes 1 gallon per day.

My plan is to remove and retain 12 gallons from the reservoir and let the plant consume the rest.
Install the template.
The top feed irrigation drips in sixteen locations so the exposed roots should be rained on every six hours for a while. I'll have to turn it off with a couple of gallons left (aquarium pump).
My conductivity monitor will zero with a gallon left. I will unplug the pH probe.

Observe the LWA .........

Return the 12 gallons of solution when appropriate.

Wow. Checking on the plant more frequently than normal. Is that possible?

I am so unfamiliar with this type of grow yet have been following you for a while. What does RDWC mean?
The R is for reservoir, feeding a DWC bucket . Normally dwc is just a bucket of water you maintain a manual level.

Phase 3

I will begin removing res solution in a couple of hours (12 noon here).

The template is installed

P3 D1 C-1 LWA.JPG

The final Control Cola C-1 photo prior to drought

PP2 D3 C-1-2 (2).JPG

Some C-1 trichomes prior to drought

PP2 D3 C-1-1T.jpg

PP2 D3 C-1-4T.jpg

A secondary bud ("popcorn"), from a partially harvested branch, prior to drought

P3 D1-1 (2).JPG

Phase 2 is dried and visiting Boveda for a couple of weeks (I'll let it out for air daily). It weighed in at 43 grams manicured and dried.
I expect Phase 3 to yield substantially more.
So far this grow I've hung and dried 122 branches (14" or less) .... 7.51 ounces jarred.

Phase 2 is dried and visiting Boveda for a couple of weeks (I'll let it out for air daily). It weighed in at 43 grams manicured and dried.
I expect Phase 3 to yield substantially more.
So far this grow I've hung and dried 122 branches (14" or less) .... 7.51 ounces jarred.
Hey Hafta! What do you mean by "phases"? Do you snip the colas to allow light and nutes to the rest?

I cut one of the exposed popcorn buds to check out the trichomes following decapitation (Phase 1 harvest) and exposure to high intensity light for the first time. I photographed some interesting things. Please chime in if you have seen this before or if you have a guess as to what this is.

These look like flat trichome "bristles". Are they common?

PP1 D13 POPT-1.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-2.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-3.jpg

How about double-headed trichs?

PP1 D13 POPT-4.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-5.jpg
PP1 D13 POPT-6.jpg
Wow very beautiful! I didn't know trichomes can Branch out.. haha

Another first, for me anyway.

I noticed a distinct accumulation of "whiteness" beginning to show on a few buds. It looked abnormal for simply being a concentration of trichomes so I decided to photograph.

PP1 D15-1 (2).JPG

I then pulled out the microscope and discovered .................

Trichome glaciers?

Trichome Glacier PP1 D15 T-4.jpg

Hopefully this is a reaction to the sudden increase of light and UV intensity when the top of the plant was decapitated. I will continue to monitor and update.
Bro mine did the same on Clementine and Judith and they was Kaked with that shit....

Hey Hafta! What do you mean by "phases"? Do you snip the colas to allow light and nutes to the rest?
@scottreid1966

I snipped the colas for the specific high as well as to allow light to the secondary buds. The nutes are provided by the roots, which now drastically exceeded the plants requirements.

Phase 1 Harvest .... Plant was grown until trichomes were mostly cloudy, pistils were brown and curling back, very few amber trichomes. The purpose was to provide a more uplifting and cerebral high that promoted activity, such as trout fishing/gardening. I removed the top 8" of colas in the middle 2' x 2'. This was about nine weeks into flower. The results were as expected ... very nice.

Phase 2 Harvest .... The plant was allowed to recover from the decapitation, which was also supposed to provide an additional source of stress. I also placed the LED "way too close" for a few hours to "shock" the plant immediately after decapitation. The purpose was to allow the trichomes to mature (more amber, fewer clear) and multiply. The goal was to provide a more physical/couch-lock effect for relaxation and discomfort alleviation. I harvested 6 previously untouched colas and 30 branches that were partially harvested in Phase 1. This was about 12 weeks into flower. This harvest is currently in the RH stabilization phase. The initial test results are very positive and more relaxing although you are still able and willing to accomplish tasks.

Phase 3 is the droughting. If it increases potency as anticipated, it will be very exiting................

@scottreid1966

I snipped the colas for the specific high as well as to allow light to the secondary buds. The nutes are provided by the roots, which now drastically exceeded the plants requirements.

Phase 1 Harvest .... Plant was grown until trichomes were mostly cloudy, pistils were brown and curling back, very few amber trichomes. The purpose was to provide a more uplifting and cerebral high that promoted activity, such as trout fishing/gardening. I removed the top 8" of colas in the middle 2' x 2'. This was about nine weeks into flower. The results were as expected ... very nice.

Phase 2 Harvest .... The plant was allowed to recover from the decapitation, which was also supposed to provide an additional source of stress. I also placed the LED "way too close" for a few hours to "shock" the plant immediately after decapitation. The purpose was to allow the trichomes to mature (more amber, fewer clear) and multiply. The goal was to provide a more physical/couch-lock effect for relaxation and discomfort alleviation. I harvested 6 previously untouched colas and 30 branches that were partially harvested in Phase 1. This was about 12 weeks into flower. This harvest is currently in the RH stabilization phase. The initial test results are very positive and more relaxing although you are still able and willing to accomplish tasks.

Phase 3 is the droughting. If it increases potency as anticipated, it will be very exiting................
Thanks for the 411, buddy! Very helpful! Taking notes. :thanks:
I also noticed that the early bud with the sugar leafs not curling in......Perfect for bubble hash, guessing it would yield more than the 4-1 gram usual.

Back
Top Bottom