Haight Solid State LED Grow Journal

Update 8/7/09

ledaug7.jpg

_____________________Diesel at week 3 ___________________Mazar at week 5

We aren't really following this plant, but it's the blue cheese test plant at 7 weeks.

bluebud1.jpg

Looking great sf keep it up!

Not to hijack the thread but you guys have GOT to see this LED grow show.

600w (actual watts) LED grow

Please no "they're way over priced" haters need reply to this post, like I said I'm not trying to hijack sf's thread and the guy doing that grow don't care what it costs he wants to see what can be done with some serious shitloads of spectrum tuned LED lamps.

It's nuts, his last grow show was a test of the first generation of these lamps at 90w and he got 108g's (dry) of rock hard fat killer buds. That's over 1g per watt!!! The 19 plants he's got under the new 300w lamps (he's running two for 600 total watts) look to be coming along even better. Go look at those things, FAT COLAS!

sf you should check the threads out for sure man I think he goes into flower a lot sooner than you do and keeps the plants low, even and keeps the light much tighter to the plants than you do. At least if your pictures are any indication of lamp height for the duration of your grow.

hey 110100100,

I looked though his thread and they do look pretty good. I think my plants look a little better - just a more natural compact size but his are good. My veg time from cutting is less then 8 weeks (including a week or two for rooting). I agree that 1g per watt is doable - I'm at about 0.8g/watt I think - we shall see as the log goes on but I'm more limited by my cabinet size then the light at this point. His lamp height looks higher to me, I'm only about 12" below the light to the tops of the plants

I worry about those lights being so complicated with lots of fans - more to fail even if the LEDs last a long time. The Haight Solid State lights are very clean simple units and they are more reasonably priced. He could replace those lights with 2 PPF-800s for a lot less money and get similar if not better results. The Haight ones are 190W but they don't have all those fans to power and the LEDs produce more light per watt.

It's cool though, the neysayer's can't keep claiming that it can't be done......

sf, i haven't heard many nay sayers recently claiming that it can't be done, only that they don't perform as well as the HID's that they are compared to.

also if you are trying to make money, which a lot of people are (not me) then you want the biggest and best buds you can get with biggest yield, LED's seem to not be ready yet for this application, although they are getting better every day. maybe they are on the edge of being able to do what 1k hps are capable of, i don't own one so i can't say. those pics PIT posted are with 2 1k HPS on rails, hard to compare with that much light.

also LEDs are still expensive as all friggen hell.

Yeah, the less moving parts, the better.

How do the Haight lights achieve adequate cooling without fans?

SS

There are some holes in the lid that look like they are for ventilation and the LEDs are all spread out. The fixture is really thin, but it's 10 inches by 20 inches and that spreads all that heat out. They said these LEDs were designed for use in cars and they never use fans for that.

The front side stays cool, but the back does heat up. The light for my lower shelf warms the roots of the top shelf a little, but it's not too bad.

sf, i haven't heard many nay sayers recently claiming that it can't be done, only that they don't perform as well as the HID's that they are compared to. ....

also LEDs are still expensive as all friggen hell.

Yes, people seen to be coming around to at least seeing it's possible. I think my results compare pretty well to a 400W HPS, which is what they are claiming for this light and it's not really that much more expensive. But honestly, it's been a long time since I grew with a HPS.

I'll start showing the progress of that blue cheese I have in veg. Even if large scale growers want HPS for bloom they might consider LEDs for veg. Since veg runs more hours per day it can cost a lot in power.

Hopefully, someone will start a log with the PPF-800 and we can all see what it can do. I just don't have the space for it in my apartment.

Hey, that's cool Pit. What strain is that? How much power is the light? The blue cheese strain I'm working with buds up the best. I have one in veg that I'll show later, my test plant blue cheese is to small to be very impressive but it still might not look as good as yours.

I'm working in just this small cabinet, I don't have space for a real grow tent. I hope someone tries out the large Haight Solid State light and posts some results. I have very low power bills and no bulbs to replace - my total costs are very low and it provides all I need. I'll bet there are a lot of patients out there paying big bucks to the clubs when they could grow their own in any apartment anywhere.

The pots are just 5 inch square

That is a 1K HPS (2 of them on rails)..The strain is I.C.E
you are doing phenomenal!!

There are some holes in the lid that look like they are for ventilation and the LEDs are all spread out. The fixture is really thin, but it's 10 inches by 20 inches and that spreads all that heat out. They said these LEDs were designed for use in cars and they never use fans for that.

The front side stays cool, but the back does heat up. The light for my lower shelf warms the roots of the top shelf a little, but it's not too bad.

I think that's a much better design than using fans. I replace fans in my pc's when they start getting noisy, and it's a hassle. Not to mention the power draw.

thanks,

ss

That is a 1K HPS (2 of them on rails)..The strain is I.C.E
you are doing phenomenal!!

Thanks PitViper, I'm pretty envious of your buds, the E really does mean extreme.

Here is the Blue Cheese that is still in veg. She was cut from her mother on 6/21/09 - so this is 7 weeks later. She is 11 inches tall now and I plan on vegging her until she is 19-20 inches tall since her sister didn't stretch very much.

blueveg.jpg

Yes, those fan leaves only have 3 points - they start out with just one. It's a trait of this strain.

they arent bad for veg but will never compare to a 400 hps. most end up in the bottom of a closet and never get used again.
just not enough lumens to do flowering, and like the others have said way way to expensive. a 400 is only about 20 bucks a month if that, to run 12/12. that is totaly affordable id think

that plant should have more than 3 fingers by now, usualy a sign of stress. especialy considering its a clone

Cheese has always done that 3 point thing, my other plants don't do it. I don't think it's stress.

I had a 400W HPS a long time ago with a crappy linear inverter - it seemed to be taking more like 500W by what the meter read and the power company charged. We get charged "over baseline" rates like 30 cents per kwh. That comes to 54 dollars per month for flower and 80 dollars per month for veg.

Keep watching this log, I think my results compare well to a 400W, I know most of the other LEDs out there don't.

im in...wow thats crazy rates, i think im at about 6 or 7 c per k hour. ok ill compare im running a 430 watt right now and just started my flower time.
if i win will you put the led away in da closet....lol..jk

The 400W HPS is the one that's away in the closet. I have 3 running - 1 for veg and 2 for flower. So that's 180 dollars per month. But it's even worse then that - the maximum rate is 44 cents per kwh - the more power you use the higher the price!

With these LEDs I'm spending less then 30 per month. Plus HPS is to big to fit and my cabinet would melt.

Had that happen on an outside strain it will probly go herme it is stress.Be very careful of that plant look at the base thats where herms start not the top.We see anything we dont like it gets pulled.Not worth the trouble.Bad plants get the axe to much time wasted on them.

Had that happen on an outside strain it will probly go herme it is stress.Be very careful of that plant look at the base thats where herms start not the top.We see anything we dont like it gets pulled.Not worth the trouble.Bad plants get the axe to much time wasted on them.

No, You will see, she is fine. I've been growing her a long time now, never had any hermies - it's a trait of the strain or pheno I have and is not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom