NY Diesel in SF. my first grow!

ok here we are, just about week 6 of flowering. the buds are startin to look way plumper :)

week6_034.JPG

week6_049.JPG
week6_047.JPG

By the way, these look tiny. Good job on your grow overall, and congrats that it's your first time, but I'm sorry about your overall yield and bud size. If you don't want people to call them tiny, take a photograph with an object next to the buds for reference. Later...

One of the flowering plants is losing its fan leaves, it looks like it is just sucking all the nutes out of it or something because the rest of the plant looks really good...

Yes, that's normal once you get into flowering, and a good sign. The plant starts to direct all its energy into bud production and diverts nutrients from elsewhere to do so - even if you're still feeding them plenty of N. Just remove the fans once it's clear they're ready to go.

-----------------------

Not sure if HGL understood that this strain is almost pure Sativa. Average flowering time is between 9-12 weeks; you're probably looking at around 11 or so, just watch the trichomes. Sativas will put on a fair percentage of their weight in the last 2-3 weeks, they just generally take longer.

(But yes, they are a bit slender and stretchy, to my eyes. LED's just don't do the best job over long distances, even the 6 watters. They're best with plants 24-36" tall or less (the lower, the better), even with narrow beam units like HGL's, which is why training becomes important for these indoors. A fan would also help with resistance training as someone mentioned previously.)

But don't worry about that for now, just file away for use next time. You still have several weeks to go before these are ready. I've grown on and off since the early 90's, and I still learn something every time I do.

And as a first time grower, you can definitely be a proud mama of your baby girls. Congrats!

Regards,

-TL

This is what you call filling in the blanks (IE having large solid colas vs a bunch of tiny buds that never come together)

I am very familiar with Sativas and how they grow, as I've had several in my garden over the years as I tailored my hobby. For example, this is a Maui Wowie (primarily sativa) that is currently about 8 weeks in my garden under LED. The picture also gives you an object for a size comparison, which allows you to make a judgment on potential yield for growers with experience...

Photo0339.jpg

P.S. Your plants aren't that big. They are about 3.5' tall, maybe a little higher (in the last pics), with lanky branching and not a lot of bud sites. I can look through all of your pictures to see the total size of your plants, and then compare that to the largest buds you've been so proud to show. Why not give us an update if they are SO much bigger now? Cause these pictures sure do a good job of showing me the size of your plants, and they're exactly as I described:

allgrowedup014.jpg

orangemelange002.jpg

Did you really forget you posted those on the last page along with the pictures of the tiny buds I quoted above? You talk a good game, but it seems like you forget that you've already showed us things that you are claiming to be otherwise... expected from a newbie. Now it's time for you to back up your claims that the plants are so much bigger now, show us pictures of the plants from top to bottom (not that hard), and put an object next to your largest bud so that we can all make a comparison...

Hi guys, this is my very first grow! Thanks for checking it out! Any advice you have would be awesome, too, and hopefully my grows will get better and better. I'm still trying to get the hang of cloning, etc., and my space is somewhat limited, but I'm super happy w/how they are turning out so far.

My two lovely ladies, both NYC Diesel, have been growing in my closet (in 3 gallon pots) since mid-June and should be ready to harvest by Halloween (maybe sooner!) They look beautiful. I'm so proud of them ;)

I'm using soil, just regular potting soil from Safeway, but I veged them with liquid karma nutrients and now I have a few other supplements (I'll have to check on their names)... I'm using these new LED lights from Haight Solid State - I did veg with the PPF400 and am flowering with the PPF800, which is supposed to be an 800W HPS replacement. I know a lot of people are still skeptical about how well LEDs can grow, but these are turning out to be great and my power bill so far hasn't been much higher than before I started.

Right now I'm in the 4th week of flowering.. Check them out... nommmm :)
QUOTE]

Nice pics MJ, I have to get a better camera...LOL...I would really like to know what it is about LED lights that bring out the knives in people but we'll leave that for another day...Your grow looks very much like my first failed attempt at hydroponics some 15 yrs ago so believe me there's no way to go but up from here...LOL...I realize you have mostly a sativa strain but one or both things have happened here and that is either the light has been to far from the plants from the get go or the light is just "another LED light". As you can see from Cammie's pic compared to yours it's fairly easy to tell how big buds are or not when you can see the stalks and stems. My bud is testing 3 of her lights right now in flower and the lights are 3-6" away from the tops of the plants...how far were your lights from the plants?
ScanImage691.jpg

ScanImage70.jpg

Again it's your first try, trust me it will take you over a year to get things straightened out, but plants will stretch alot if they don't have enough light...right now the only thing to do is to put the thing as close to your plants as possible until they mature the buds you do have. When they get lots of light it's hard to tell how big they are...LOL...this bud is 7 weeks in and this is what I want to see these LED's do with my own eyes and my friend is giving them all the opportunity to prove it...;)
ScanImage71.jpg

Only a week in so not much to report but.....:popcorn: and I'm sure I'll have a clearer picture in 4 or so wks.

(But yes, they are a bit slender and stretchy, to my eyes. LED's just don't do the best job over long distances, even the 6 watters. They're best with plants 24-36" tall or less (the lower, the better), even with narrow beam units like HGL's, which is why training becomes important for these indoors.
-TL

We can all dance around it but the ture LED Unit winner is pretty obvious to me...

I mean no offense to maryjah, I am talking about the light

IMO that plant was dooomed from the start. There's simply not even enough nodes to say the HSS even Vegged this plant properly.

Here's a plant vegged never topped with a knock off 120W led from htg.

perfect-Size-to-flower.png

The HSS light cant even compare to this, let alone a real LED unit. ALSO look how spaced the leafs are on maryjah plants, I mean the leaves have 3 fingers! what happened to 5, 7, or more ? the plant is so light starved it could only bust of 20 3 fingered leaves....
week_6_5_035.JPG

We can all dance around it but the ture LED Unit winner is pretty obvious to me...

I mean no offense to maryjah, I am talking about the light

IMO that plant was dooomed from the start. There's simply not even enough nodes to say the HSS even Vegged this plant properly.

Here's a plant vegged never topped with a knock off 120W led from htg.

perfect-Size-to-flower.png

The light cant even compare to this, let alone a real LED unit. ALSO look how spaced the leafs are on maryjah plants, I mean the leaves have 3 fingers! what happened to 5, 7, or more ? the plant is so light starved it could only bust of 20 3 fingered leaves....
week_6_5_035.JPG

Okay I gotta chime in now. You cant knock this guys lights because Cammie didn't make them and they are not the ones you bought. I have seen you on several LED threads doing the same thing in one form or another. The HSS lights will veg a plant. I would suspect that the lights were too far from the canopy. This is his first grow and he made it to flower why knock the guy.

Cammie has a financial stake in pointing out the fact that his buds are light and airy. I think I can safely say that anyone researching LEDs and not just buying them because of their claims didn't need her message to figure out that the HSS lights on their own are not the heavy producer they claim to be.

that picture's at a really bad angle.... i got lotso big leaves.... there are better ones that i posted.

GOOD for me is that i have buds that i will be smoking soon, so if you're going to do some serious plant-by-plant analysis of LEDs, wait until setting sun's test comes out so all the variables are neutralized.

my lights were almost a foot from the plants until 2 weeks ago. now they are much closer. i didn't know you were sposed to get em closer during flower until recently. i also didn't top or trim really so they are definitely a lot taller than i wanted them to be...

good stuff for next time though, thanks to anyone who's offering constructive advice and not going down to the elementary school to laugh at how poorly the kids do calculus.

Okay I gotta chime in now. You can’t knock this guys lights because Cammie didn't make them .

A. never knocked the guy, specifically said the LIGHT. IMO he could have done better with a different light.

And they are not the ones you bought. I have seen you on several LED threads doing the same thing in one form or another. .

B. I HAVE BOUGHT OTHER LED LIGHTS OTHER THAN CAMMIES THEY STILL PERFORMED BETTER FOR ME THAN IN THIS EXAMPLE. I TRY TO HELP PEOPLE BY GIVING THEM MY EXPERIANCES WITH LED. I AM A LED ENTHUSIST.

IF SOMEONE MADE A BETTTER LIGHT THAN CAMMIES, I WOULD NEVER TALK ABOUT HER'S AGAIN. I LIKE THE BEST PRODUCT, COULD CARE LESS WHO MAKES IT. SORRY CAMMIE !

I think I can safely say that anyone researching LEDs and not just buying them because of their claims didn't need her message to figure out that the HSS lights on their own are not the heavy producer they claim to be.

C. IS THIS NOT A FORUM? DISCUSSION IS WHAT KEEPS IT ALIVE.. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO WITH HER COMMENTS????

IMO

:smokin:

GOOD for me is that i have buds that i will be smoking soon, so if you're going to do some serious plant-by-plant analysis of LEDs, wait until setting sun's test comes out so all the variables are neutralized.

I agree Maryjah! I'm not knockin ya man, I'm glad you are trying LED grows. That's more than I can say for others that Knock the whole idea and put it thier little comments about LED. Although I think your grow gives ME enough to belive the results will be simillar, because you did your part well, your equip could be at fault....

Just trying to figure out what happened in this grow, it's the light IMO.

Other than tha't just keeping the plant alive the whole time is good enough for a first grow! That's one of the things that make it fun, "Finding what's holding you back from a better grow"

Again from the looks of your thread you did a pretty good job. for a first time and limited light...

welcome mary,
i think your doing a great job my first grow i used shop lights, props on trying something new, i think your plants look fine, hey they are growing like a weed you stick around here and your second grow will knock your eyes out with all the helpful people here at your disposal to answer all your questions you cant grow wrong .... pun intended
again i say hats off to ya + reps also rock on girl :surf:

my lights were almost a foot from the plants until 2 weeks ago. now they are much closer. i didn't know you were sposed to get em closer during flower until recently. i also didn't top or trim really so they are definitely a lot taller than i wanted them to be...

good stuff for next time though, thanks to anyone who's offering constructive advice and not going down to the elementary school to laugh at how poorly the kids do calculus.

MJ all LED lights that I've seen have a very small foot print. We can easily grow ONE plant way bigger then the foot print of one of the panels we're using. LED manuf. will tell you to have the light a foot or higher above your plants to make a bigger footprint but these lights don't have the intensity to bud plants like an HPS because of that. They do this so that you don't freak about having to buy six freakin panels @ $3000 to repace your HID in a 4x4 space....LOL...If you don't believe me just take a look at the set up of the very person who freaked on you has. Cammie has like 12 panels in approx. the same space and do you think she kept them a foot from the plants...not a chance.
These lights seem cooler to the touch then fluro's and plants can be touching fluro's for days without damage. This gives you the advantage of training your plant a lot easier.
My suggestions to you is to start the light about 9" from the next one. Take some cuttings above a growing point on the plant to make it bushier. When it grows to the light move it 6" above the plants. When it grows to it the plant should be around 18". This should take you 3 to 4 weeks max. Change the light to 12/12 because growing plants beyond much more then 3 feet is I think a waste with these lights. When flowering try keeping the light as close as possible 3" lets say and manipulate the size of your buds with the light by moving it up every couple of days...when they stop growing leave the light alone. Just something to try since it's what we're going to do ourselves to give these things the best shot at doing what they claim. If the light is any good you should get a few ounces.

Back
Top Bottom