Haight Solid State LED Grow Journal

Hi, those buds look pretty potent. I think the yield is the only thing you have to work on. I have to say +rep to lurker. I would really consider what he has to say if you want to increase yield. Good luck on your next grow.

Thanks, Bux! Appreciate the complement, my friend. :thanks:
-------------
DroJo: :)
-------------

Hi WoF, nice work on that Wheel of yours, I'm interested to see how your current grow turns out. Obviously a lot of effort and thought went into your setup. Thanks for the feedback also. There are several ways to measure yield, and grams/watt-hour takes time into the equation as well, which goes back to efficiency.

I went through my original post to make sure I didn't write something that would be easily misinterpreted; if it was, I apologize. Just to elaborate, the yields I mentioned were for production growing. From my experience, production growers - whether we're talking lettuce, wheat or cannabis - are interested primarily in four things: 1) quality, 2) yield, 3) turnover, and 4) waste (reduction).

Like any business venture, they approach it with the goal of maximizing ROI over time. Yields are definitely not 'average'; in a competitive agri environment they must be better than their competitors to make it commercially viable. So they would definitely be at the upper echelon, relatively speaking. I'm not sure what % of growers this would fall under, but it is certainly going to be a smaller % of the population (per capita).

For most hobby (and non-profit) growers, a reasonable expectation for decent yields with a 400W HPS might be 10-12oz, or .7-.85g/watt - which some of the folks on this forum already produce, as you mentioned. That's still very good, and definitely better than an 'average' yield. Nothing wrong with those numbers, and if it meets their needs, fantastic. Anyone with those kinds of yields are good candidates for testing these LEDs.

(In my experience, your g/watt yields can be higher with smaller fixtures, as you've got more light in a smaller area and less intensity loss at the periphery, so 2oz/sq ft or 1g/watt are more easily achievable w/ 150W HPS than 600W. But you can still get pretty close.)

And - in my mind, you want to find the elite growers, at the top of their game, to do any 'official' testing, if possible - and show exactly what these lights can do, in the right hands. It's a new technology and there's going to be a learning curve - we just want to minimize that during testing as much as possible.

But to set a high (yet achievable) benchmark, I know 1g/watt is realistic - with the right knowledge, genetics, procedures, and environment. You said yourself that you've seen up to 2g/watt; for me, anything above 1.4g/watt is going to be unattainable by most folks, except for the occasional fluke (or perhaps with some vertical growing, which I can't rightly comment on, as I've had no experience with those directly). But 1.0-1.1g on the other hand, while perhaps a high expectation for some, is a good goal to shoot for. And if it's production growing - then yes, that can be done consistently.

And that's exactly the kind of person I want to see doing these comparisons - if we can find one.

Good luck with your 1g/watt goal, WoF! I'd love to see more people get there as well - especially with such cool contraptions! :)

Regards,

-TL

Thanks, Bux! Appreciate the complement, my friend. :thanks:
-------------
DroJo: :)
-------------

Hi WoF, nice work on that Wheel of yours, I'm interested to see how your current grow turns out. Obviously a lot of effort and thought went into your setup. Thanks for the feedback also. There are several ways to measure yield, and grams/watt-hour takes time into the equation as well, which goes back to efficiency.

I went through my original post to make sure I didn't write something that would be easily misinterpreted; if it was, I apologize. Just to elaborate, the yields I mentioned were for production growing. From my experience, production growers - whether we're talking lettuce, wheat or cannabis - are interested primarily in four things: 1) quality, 2) yield, 3) turnover, and 4) waste (reduction).

Good luck with your 1g/watt goal, WoF! I'd love to see more people get there as well - especially with such cool contraptions! :)

Regards,

-TL

eh, no, i didn't think i misinterpreted you at all, and i wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything, just that >1 g/w is a more lofty goal than you made it sound.

I have the exact same goals that you listed here, as i would assume so do most serious growers. . . I think the only difference between a "production oriented" business grower and the avid hobbyists that post on this site, are startup capitol and size. . . but not skill or intent to maximize efficiency.

the only reason i chimed in was becasue it sounded to me like you were using 1.1 g/w as a benchmark for good growers, when really it would put you in the top echelon of the best growers in the world using advanced techniques to attain such a high return. . . and to make mention that there are a lot of other factors that go into efficiency, like veg time.

the 2g/w grow I've seen was from a guy from another site named heath robinson and he gets near that every grow, but he uses a vert aero system as you eluded to. . . even that guy would never be able to get that from a flat garden.

also, those grows i mentioned before are using some advanced techniques like light movers or scrog to increase efficiency over a normal flat garden. except mcbuds. so they already have an advantage over a classic flat garden like SF runs.

anyways i just was saying 1 g/w is very very hard to get from a flat garden IMHO. . .

I doubt I'll see 1 g/w, but a guy has to set lofty goals, and I do have an advantage on light distribution in the wheel. plus I had a month of veg time . . . which should be taken into account when measuring efficiency. Thanks for the encouragement though I'll give it my best go.

sorry SF to get off topic, I love this grow,

:focus:

Hi sfhaze, congrats on your grow. Looks like some tasty treats you've turned out there. Dunno why I never found your journal (other than the fact that I'm already watching 8, lol) but I just finished reading it and gotta say :goodjob:

I'm playing with a 90w UFO triband at the moment, 4 plants in a screen. Should finish early december. Previous grow was my first and I did just about every newbie mistake possible. Pulled 27.5g dry from 2 plants. I'm pretty sure a healthy grow would at least double that.

I want to commend you for trying this new technology, it's pretty interesting stuff and fun to grow with.
I have a 126w unit on the way from HydroGrowLed for my next round, still need to get some clones together. Probably a month or so before I can get started. It might be cool to compare notes as we go.
:nicethread: enjoy your crop, looks like some potent strains.

+rep and 5 star thread rating. guess I can't rep you again must have been a while but....thread rating worked.

Looking good sfhaze! :cheer:
:goodjob:

A quick sort of related question.

Did, or does your Blue Cheese have much of an odor in the veg state?

The reason I ask is, I got some bag seeds from a SoFla indoor grow. Have grown them out and flowered and more than 3 hits will put you in a coma.:peace::smokin:

After MUCH looking at strain, grow, whatever I could find pics, the only match I could find was your Blue Cheese, 3 fingered leaves and all. All 3 plants that made it (2 fems,1 male), have this 3 fingered trait. Very wide leaves also.

For sure, if not 100% indica, then 90%+.

The weirdest thing though, was a complete lack of smell during the veg cycle. This really concerned me until I was able to smoke some.:grinjoint:
Now, it's a big relief, knowing what I'll save on odor control.:yummy:

Just wondering if your 3 fingered girls had this same lack of odor. :thanks:

DD

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments.

Wheelo is right about hps yields, just take a look a pitviper's journal to see how far hps can be pushed. With my simple set-up in soil I really wouldn't expect more than 0.5g/watt with hps - maybe less since my plants are so small.

For a small cabinet like this hps isn't a good option, they generate too much heat, and take up too much space.

I used foxfarm ocean forest soil and the Biotonicare organic nutrients. I find liquid Karma really helps during transplanting.

I only need about 2 bags of soil per year. I always add some predator nematodes to the soil when I buy it, to keep the fungus gnats under control. I just add some to the fresh soil in the bag and then never have any major problems - just one or two gnats occasionally.

Hey DD, The blue cheese doesn't have much smell in veg but it's very stinky when flowering.

Cool !! Same here. It still didn't get real stinky till close to the end of flowering.

Makes life so much easier when I don't need to worry about odor control for my clones and mothers and still have superior smoke.:yummy:

DD

sfHaze,

In your first post in this thread, you said that you had (2) PFF-400 in the flower room. So that would make your total .37grams/watt. I noticed in a post, a few back, someone said .8grams/watt. Thats only if you used (1) PFF-400. So what did you use 1 or 2 PFF-400?

Hey builder, This is the yield from just the top shelf, it's just the one PPF-400. I get another 2oz or so from the bottom shelf, I have less height on the bottom so I just grow grapefruit down there (it's my favorite).

I'm pretty sure if I had a little more space I could get 1gram/watt just doing what I'm currently doing - my cabinet is just a little too small. I don't know what the upper limit really is if a real pro used the light with hydroponics and maybe scrog.

Hey Soniq,

Yes, I grew the Diesel mother plant from seed with the haight light. I had given up with LEDs on seedlings,with the older led lights I tried they always stretched too much and then just fell over and died but the Diesel grew great.

I just did that one batch from seed only got the one female, the other two seedlings were male. It was about 12 inches above the plant. I have tried going closer with clones, but they seems to be a bit overly compact. It was good at 12, but I haven't tested different heights.

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments.

Wheelo is right about hps yields, just take a look a pitviper's journal to see how far hps can be pushed. With my simple set-up in soil I really wouldn't expect more than 0.5g/watt with hps - maybe less since my plants are so small.

For a small cabinet like this hps isn't a good option, they generate too much heat, and take up too much space.

I used foxfarm ocean forest soil and the Biotonicare organic nutrients. I find liquid Karma really helps during transplanting.

I only need about 2 bags of soil per year. I always add some predator nematodes to the soil when I buy it, to keep the fungus gnats under control. I just add some to the fresh soil in the bag and then never have any major problems - just one or two gnats occasionally.
I've been useing FFOF soil for 2 yrs. now, and i've never seen a gnat !! Just lucky i guess !! They were out the last time so i went with the happy frog and still no gnats !! As a matter of fact, i reused the same FFOF one grow and all went well and still no gnats. Ask your dealer if anyone else is complaining about gnats . Don't sound right to me !! Good luck on your next grow and i'll see if i can rep ya. Have a good one !! :bongrip:

I just started a White Widow in a waterfarm. I have 2.5'X2.5' of space in my grow box and 1 plant. I'm using the HSS 800 model light. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first try with LEDs and my first grow in over a decade.:thanks:

I just started a White Widow in a waterfarm. I have 2.5'X2.5' of space in my grow box and 1 plant. I'm using the HSS 800 model light. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first try with LEDs and my first grow in over a decade.:thanks:

Are you starting a journal, I'd love to subscribe :surf:

It's one plant, in a Waterfarm, nothing special. Just to see how well it flowers under LED. If I get any bud at all, I will probably try a 4 plant setup. In the meantime, I'll try to embed a picture in a post or two if I can figure out how.
I guess a good place to start would be reading the instrucions.

IMGA0032.JPG
IMGA0028.JPG

See if these worked.

Back
Top Bottom