Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

I too agree that to try to calculate true usage gets ridiculous. And again, this was a side by side comp of two LEDs so much of this discussion is superfluous. But, that having been said, the fans used to cool a led are different in my opinion than the cooling required for an HID. The reason being that the fans for an HID are optional.

Those in the LED are allocated only to the LED and draw power any time the light is on.

Fans for an HID may or may not be on when the light is on, and they are most likely doing more than one thing - ie. cooling, venting and carbon filter on one fan.

So yes, when I go to figure out how much electricity I'm using on my HID, I absolutely try to figure in for the extra used for the fans and cooling. But there is no way I would expect an HID manufacturer to include a number for the fan because they have no idea which fan I will use. OR even if I will use any at all - plenty of HID lights don't even have glass.

Not the case with an LED.

So when I look at a rating - I want that number to mean something. The LED guys claim you won't need supplemental cooling if you run their light. Good. Do they require the fans to run? Yes? Then you must include that electricity to compare their light's electricity to any other.

HID users know that there are all kinds of hidden costs. Even down to the gauge of wire in the power cord. LED manufacturers and users keep trying to pretend like those costs aren't there.

MANUFACTURERS - PLEASE USE REAL NUMBERS!!! YOU WILL BE FOUND OUT IF YOU TRY TO FUDGE IT !!

:thanks::peace:

i agree 100%. if the light has 126 leds on it and is called a 126w then i am gonna count 126w! the fans on HID are an option and arnt needed to make the light work. plus its hard to count 114w of the vent fan when that was the growers choice to get a fan that runs that much power, they come in all shapes and sizes and different watts. the leds you dont have a choice and they are needed to run the lights, plus their allot smaller fans that only drawl maybe a few watts. plus with leds you still need to run a intake and exhaust fan to get the best results.

when i brought all of this up i was in no way trying to start a war, i thought i missed something and i couldn't figure out how 1.03gpw came up, then once i realized how it was thought of, i was wondering others opinions on this? thats the best part of this forum we can all talk things out and learn different ways of looking at things.

great feed back everyone. you guys ROCK!

420 Magazine = war free zone ;)

Tone = just fine ;)

IrishBoy = great question that instigated an excellent discussion :surf:

Such a good vibe here I've been re-reading the other posts because I felt I owed y'all the respect to make sure I've absorbed it all.

:thanks:

Great convo, and it made me think - what we need is a situation where all power to the grow can be metered. It would be sooooo interesting to see a real breakdown over time of electricity usage and costs.

Somewhat off-topic, but very analogous was an episode of Top Gear where they compared the fuel efficiency of a BMW M5 to a compact economy car that boasted 35mpg to the BMW's 22 I think it was. But the test was performed on the track and both cars were required to maintain 50 mph the whole time for 3 laps. The real world results were the BMW came in at 22mpg, but the economy car came in around 21.

Thanks again guys for a great grow, journal, convo and site.

:thanks::peace:

Interestingly, when I plug in my 126w HGL lights some of the LEDs light up ever so faintly. Can anyone else with these lights confirm this?

Interestingly, when I plug in my 126w HGL lights some of the LEDs light up ever so faintly. Can anyone else with these lights confirm this?

I think those are Infra Red led's (aka) IR led's.. Very faint to see with the human eye, But your girls can see them quite well...

You should not be able to see the light at all IR is invisible to us silly humans.

I think those are Infra Red led's (aka) IR led's.. Very faint to see with the human eye, But your girls can see them quite well...

yes those are the IR leds

You should not be able to see the light at all IR is invisible to us silly humans.

We cannot see IR and I do not know what it is, it just seems odd to me that there are a number of them lighting up when the panel is plugged in and the power switch is left off.

We cannot see IR and I do not know what it is, it just seems odd to me that there are a number of them lighting up when the panel is plugged in and the power switch is left off.

you know what i had the same thing when my light was turned off a real fant color of red. i also thought my eyes were playing tricks on me?

It sounds like there's enough residual electricity and magnetic fields in side to continue to excite the diode. Weird. You sure its not just a few bulbs staying red hot a little longer?

:peace:

Definitely not that - I plug it in with the power switch turned off and the LEDs light up faintly and stay that way until I unplug it.

Definitely not that - I plug it in with the power switch turned off and the LEDs light up faintly and stay that way until I unplug it.

Do these lights get brighter when the switch turned on?

Have you checked the polarity of the receptacle?

I once had a boat that was wired by an imbecile. The polarity was all wrong and people got shocked when they went swimming if the shore power was plugged in.

LED's, by nature, only let current flow in one direction. If your plugs are wired wrong, that could be the problem.

Good suggestions on things to check - I have not had the time to look at them further.

OK, finally decided what to do with the two coffee cans full of dry trim that I saved from all ten VK's I harvested.

I was thinking of making cannabutter, but I've done that before and wanted to try something new.

I got the idea for gumby hash from a video that PitViper posted a while back. It's basically a cold water extraction but simpler than using bubble bags.

If you google "gumby hash", you'll come up with several links that detail the process.

All you need is a big bag of crushed ice, a couple of 5-gallon buckets, a power drill and paint mixer, turkey baster or large syringe, and a glass jar.

In order to keep everything in the bucket when I was using the drill and paint mixer, I drilled a hole in the middle of the bucket lid and slid the paint mixer through that. The lid kept everything in the bucket and I whirled happily away for about 15 minutes.

I also substituted a large 60ml syringe with about 10" of tubing for the turkey baster, as that gave me much better control when sucking the water off the top of the sediment.

HPIM2163_Medium.JPG

I'm very happy with the results!

I will no doubt be making more gumby hash in the future! :Rasta:

OK, finally decided what to do with the two coffee cans full of dry trim that I saved from all ten VK's I harvested.

I was thinking of making cannabutter, but I've done that before and wanted to try something new.

I got the idea for gumby hash from a video that PitViper posted a while back. It's basically a cold water extraction but simpler than using bubble bags.

If you google "gumby hash", you'll come up with several links that detail the process.

All you need is a big bag of crushed ice, a couple of 5-gallon buckets, a power drill and paint mixer, turkey baster or large syringe, and a glass jar.

In order to keep everything in the bucket when I was using the drill and paint mixer, I drilled a hole in the middle of the bucket lid and slid the paint mixer through that. The lid kept everything in the bucket and I whirled happily away for about 15 minutes.

I also substituted a large 60ml syringe with about 10" of tubing for the turkey baster, as that gave me much better control when sucking the water off the top of the sediment.

HPIM2163_Medium.JPG

Good choice! My canna-coco butter Aspercream replacement was a glorious failure! :welldone:

HPIM2163_Medium.JPG

:bravo: Amazing bowl SS:welldone:

+rep if I can. :rollit:

Thank you Cephas!

The cannabutter was a sure bet, because I've made it with trim before and it's turned out great, but I've been curious about gumby since seeing Pit and a few others make it.

I'll take an oz of decent hash from my trim any day ;)

Sorry to hear the muscle balm experiment didn't pan out.

hope all is well with you bro ;)

:bravo: Amazing bowl SS:welldone:

+rep if I can. :rollit:

thanks sokrates ;)

Nice lump of hash SS. Howzit smoke?

I'd love to slice it down the middle and lay a slice under each nostril.:thumb:

inhale,savor,repeat.

It smokes very nicely, but it doesn't really smell like most other hash.

The metal "fine" mesh strainer you use to filter it with is much coarser than a bubble bag setup, so you do get more plant matter along with the trichs. It smells similar to the iso hash I've made in the past, but I like it a lot more.

It's nice and malleable. Doesn't have much taste or expand much, but the effect is strong and lasts really well. Very good pain relief, just like the VK bud.

I've done a lot of different extractions with different solvents using trim and trash to make oils and hash, and this is my new favorite method.

I'm sure I'll refine my technique in future runs, but even this first one was pretty easy and fun.

It's not for the hash conneysewer, but it's a very good thing to do with your trim!

That's an inspiring ball of hash no doubt! You said you've tried the bags as well and liked this method better? If so, was that just cause its a little easier or you think you got more tris?

:thumb::Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom