Heavenly Hybrid 1st Grow: Mango Kush Indoor LED ScrOG Grow 2018

So Fan leaves don’t carry much in the way of making edibles like butter....but they do have other benefits, that can be discussed at a later point. The general ways I use my defoil leaves (fan leaves) is in a few of the following ways:

1: Juicing/Shakes
If you have a juicer you can blend canna leaves to collect the juice and do a healthy shot in the morning for an energy boost. If no juicer is available then you can use a blender to whip up a nice morning shake with banana(or your fruit choices), yogurt and some leaf

2: I love to add fresh leaves into my salads as additional greens. Gives you a lovely taste profile and who doesn’t love looking at a pretty salad lol:rofl:

3: Canna leaf tea - a great way is to steep the leaves and let them infuse into your hot water! (Can also use stems if you save). You can spike this with some canna-honey or canna coco oil!

So that’s my list of uses and I thoroughly enjoy all of them! @SweetSue im sure has many other uses and knowledge of the fan leaves benefits!

Hope this helps!

-Dutch

@Preston9mm has some great recipes..not sure if the trimmings are in his recipe list but he may be able to lead you to others who do...I think you can make a bubble hash, I dunno.
Thank you MrSauga, I’m following his cooking with the chronic thread. I’m on information overload and I love it! :yahoo:

Hello to all! The ladies seem to be doing just fine after the great defol yesterday.
B9FA80ED-727B-4A74-B650-75D6E3270CB1.jpeg

I also found this device I had bought way back at the beginning of my grow. I set it on top of my tent and promptly forgot about it until I stumbled across it yesterday. Lol. One thing that has been a huge unknown for me through this has been my root ph. As a newbie setting up this grow, I didn’t allow myself a way to collect (and test) my runoff ph. I’m guessing this could be a way to get around that mistake, but I also don’t want to be sticking these huge prongs into my roots! I tested each one, set to the ph measurement setting, today.
0A69D13F-1B83-4DCD-955D-46FF7017526F.jpeg
122685D3-53AA-43D6-8E94-073791301FF3.jpeg

As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I’m seeing some shiny leaves as well as some lower leaves that turned yellow and some leaves with brown splotches (before I defoliated). I suspect a phosphorus deficiency, but since I’m new to this, it’s only a best guess.

I’d appreciate any sage advice on what to do with this ph info. I am due to feed today, so I’m thinking I’ll just adjust the ph higher to try to get the root zone ph higher? Thanks for any help guys and gals!

It's hard to say. I wouldn't trust those probes. If anything get a soil test kit where you need to take a soil sample then mix it with water and the chemical provided. It's probably more accurate but you are checking a color range then. See if you can collect any water running out of your pot and test that as well. Not sure if I can be much help here.

I have to say defoliating has really helped my understanding of how the plant and buds grow in. I also did some heavy reading on multiple treads and referred back to my original tutorial (LBH scrog) and decided that I had these girls stretched out too much. They should have 6-8” above the screen when done with stretch and I had them down at like 3” or less. This is a learning process, so hopefully it wasn’t a huge mistake, but I (VERY carefully) brought them back in a little and cut away a couple of the extra strings I had laced up! I’ve also read up on some growers that remove their restraints after the stretch, so I’m sitting here with fingers crossed that I did right by my girls!
In these pics, they are freshly freed, so I imagine they’ll straighten up a bit more too.
B3057EF5-606A-4D83-9858-5352C3892F8F.jpeg
F43501F6-3A50-4F03-9E1E-79D9203FB174.jpeg
971F03A5-F14F-4ED0-A8AA-DF0AF963282A.jpeg

Looks good hybrid! I’ve never grown with a scrog but i read the same tutorial as you before ever starting my grow. My understanding was to bend and fold the branching to fill the net while in veg, let them get a few inches above the net at that point and then flip. But your girls look happy. And with moving the net down they actually look even more spread out which will be nice for when they start to fatten up!

Looks good hybrid! I’ve never grown with a scrog but i read the same tutorial as you before ever starting my grow. My understanding was to bend and fold the branching to fill the net while in veg, let them get a few inches above the net at that point and then flip. But your girls look happy. And with moving the net down they actually look even more spread out which will be nice for when they start to fatten up!
Thank you Mr. Magoo! I think they’re happier too :yummy:
I’ll tell you, I was a great student in the beginning and then I didn’t go back and refresh my memory on the tutorial when I was switching to 12/12. live and learn. I tucked too much through the strecth, thinking the buds were going to grow out of the top or something. #rookie
Like you said, I should’ve just let them be and stretch away. Lol, my screen is on legs and I actually had to untuck the branches. It was like moving sticks of dynamite, I was being so careful. Not sure if I will scrog again for a while, we’ll see how much this one turns out in the end. I have found so many great ideas on here and I’m just jumping to try them out.

I’m the same way. I want to try things out and see what works for me the best. A scrog may be a good idea for my current tent grow but I’m gonna try without it. Growing sativas in a 5’ tall tent. Lol. But I think I can keep them trained pretty low without the scrog screen with the quadline method. Here’s a quick pic of how low I was able to keep the last grow and keep an even canopy. Was a nightmare to water though. Haha. So I’ll make some adjustments as well.

First pic was not long before flip and 2nd was maybe 3-4 weeks before I harvested. They were indica leaning Blue Dreams. This time though is G13 Haze and 707 Headband. They will get more vertical for sure. But I’m gonna try my best to keep them tamed. Lol. Wish me luck!

I’m the same way. I want to try things out and see what works for me the best. A scrog may be a good idea for my current tent grow but I’m gonna try without it. Growing sativas in a 5’ tall tent. Lol. But I think I can keep them trained pretty low without the scrog screen with the quadline method. Here’s a quick pic of how low I was able to keep the last grow and keep an even canopy. Was a nightmare to water though. Haha. So I’ll make some adjustments as well.

First pic was not long before flip and 2nd was maybe 3-4 weeks before I harvested. They were indica leaning Blue Dreams. This time though is G13 Haze and 707 Headband. They will get more vertical for sure. But I’m gonna try my best to keep them tamed. Lol. Wish me luck!

I certainly do wish you luck and I’ll be sure to follow along. And ooh la la Magoo!! Those are a couple of beauties right there! I’m looking to try the quad and then maybe the flux coming up. I’ve got an indica on deck and I’m thinking the quad will fit that nicely, since it won’t slow things down so much. I hear you with keeping things low, I have a LED and a 5’ tent, so I thought a scrog sounded ideal. Now I know there’s lots of choices!

Daang, those babies were ridin’ low! Lol, I see why it was so hard to water. Watering has been a challenge for sure with this set up too. I had to use an old pump sprayer thing to get under the net properly. Total pain. Can’t wait to see how this next batch turns out for you, haven’t heard of those strains yet, exciting!!

Things are looking gravy baby! Sorry, I'm playing catch up :)

Thank you and happy to have you checking in on me Professor! Haha, I need it, so I don’t blow it right before payday. :ganjamon:

Thank you and happy to have you checking in on me Professor! Haha, I need it, so I don’t blow it right before payday. :ganjamon:
You'll be fine my friend. See, imagine now if you hadn't opened her up. Those buds are looking great by the way! :)

You'll be fine my friend. See, imagine now if you hadn't opened her up. Those buds are looking great by the way! :)

Thank you very much :) As soon as I finished I thought - there, now it looks like the pictures I see on here! :rofl:
It all started with defoliating, so thanks again for you all encouraging me to just go for it!

I have to say defoliating has really helped my understanding of how the plant and buds grow in. I also did some heavy reading on multiple treads and referred back to my original tutorial (LBH scrog) and decided that I had these girls stretched out too much. They should have 6-8” above the screen when done with stretch and I had them down at like 3” or less. This is a learning process, so hopefully it wasn’t a huge mistake, but I (VERY carefully) brought them back in a little and cut away a couple of the extra strings I had laced up! I’ve also read up on some growers that remove their restraints after the stretch, so I’m sitting here with fingers crossed that I did right by my girls!
In these pics, they are freshly freed, so I imagine they’ll straighten up a bit more too.
B3057EF5-606A-4D83-9858-5352C3892F8F.jpeg
F43501F6-3A50-4F03-9E1E-79D9203FB174.jpeg
971F03A5-F14F-4ED0-A8AA-DF0AF963282A.jpeg
Everything looking nice in here and I love that net. Quadlining has gotten me away from the net but I applaud you for have a tight one and keeping things even. I think you defoliated the perfect amount. I try and just pick a few leaves here and there once they start blocking other colas. If you do that you probably won't have to do another big round of defoliation until the very end. If I get lazy and don't do it often I will usually just do another big round of defoliation in week 6-7 of flower and then let them go. Best to pick a little here and there after this larger post stretch defoliation in my opinion if you can though.

Everything looking nice in here and I love that net. Quadlining has gotten me away from the net but I applaud you for have a tight one and keeping things even. I think you defoliated the perfect amount. I try and just pick a few leaves here and there once they start blocking other colas. If you do that you probably won't have to do another big round of defoliation until the very end. If I get lazy and don't do it often I will usually just do another big round of defoliation in week 6-7 of flower and then let them go. Best to pick a little here and there after this larger post stretch defoliation in my opinion if you can though.
I’m so glad to have you on here Ase! And thank you, I made the net myself. Room for improvement for next time for sure, but overall it did the job. If I could ask, what are your thoughts on keeping them in the net vs. cutting the strings away? I’m past the stretch and I thought I read in your thread that the stems harden off after that. My concern is that the strings will interfere with the buds filling in? The bud sites start below the strings and go up the curve. Lol, I hope I’m explaining this well enough.

I’m so glad to have you on here Ase! And thank you, I made the net myself. Room for improvement for next time for sure, but overall it did the job. If I could ask, what are your thoughts on keeping them in the net vs. cutting the strings away? I’m past the stretch and I thought I read in your thread that the stems harden off after that. My concern is that the strings will interfere with the buds filling in? The bud sites start below the strings and go up the curve. Lol, I hope I’m explaining this well enough.

In the past if I've used a net I've kept it. With quadlining you are holding the limbs down each with individual ties. After stretch a lot of time my plants have pulled them loose but they still grew and hardened to the right shape and correct spacing. You should be able to feel the strings of the net and if it still feels like they are holding the plant in place, I wouldn't touch it.

Back
Top Bottom