Hello 420 community!

TegridyGrower

Hello all,

I think I've read a lot of topics on this site (came here a lot of times after Google searches) and there's really a lot of great content here. I was active on another side, but got disappointed with the quality of the content there, hence, I decided to register here.

I'm EU-based, in the end of my 30s, I own a consulting company (with the greatest employees ever!) and went back to college 3 years ago to study law, which has become a great passion of me. I live with my wife and dog in a densely populated area and since a little over a year I've been growing cannabis. I'm at my 3th round right now. I'm a non-medicinal smoker since almost 20 years. Big purist trigger alert: I mix with tobacco. There, I said it. Can't help it, it's just the way I like it the most. I do have a vaporizer but I only use it during holidays when I have absolutely nothing to do (which is not often, unfortunately).

About 22 years ago I got a 75 paged printed document from the (at time very new and modern) internet about how to grow cannabis. It was from my nephew, he downloaded it. I was still a teenager. I never used cannabis at that time, but it was extremely intriguing to me. I wanted to grow my own!

I was never in the position to start a grow for various reasons, but I kept on reading on the internet. Tutorials, grow journals and later on video's. From time to time I'd study in depth, planning my future grow. I saw LED enter the market in around 2010, but it wasn't a viable option at that time. During a new period of research in 2016, I noticed LED had become a more serious option. I liked the idea of having a cooler 'plug and play' light. When we moved to the house we now live in (2 years ago), I knew I would finally start a grow, because we own the house (before, we always rented) and we have enough space. My spouse didn't object, so at the beginning of december 2019 I started my career as a grower.

I have a small tent (Secret Jardin DS120w) that can hold two or three regular sized plants and grow them under the very bright Mars Hydro TSL 200, that fits perfect in my 60cm by 120cm (2 by 4 ft) grow tent. So, as said, I'm at my 3th round and every grow I did was a single strain grow. My first grow were three Sticky Beast in a soil and perlite mix, yielded around 280 grams or so, but like 65% was really small bud (still smoked fine tho and the hash I made from it was insane). My second grow was on coco/perlite with daily watering: three photoperiod Skunk plants. It yielded a little over 300 grams and I had a lot more well developed tops as I succeeded to create a flat canopy.

I'm in the 16th week of my current grow (110 days) and the two photoperiod Utopia Haze ladies have been flowering for 50 days. This is also a coco grow, but I automated the fertigation completely (including automated drain bucket). So multiple feeds a day now :). This grow, I also used a self made SCrOG net and I mainlined until 4 main tops. I am amazed by the results: I have a lot more big nuggets developing compared to my first two grows. Here is how the canopy looks now:

full

The one on the left (named Mace) is more of a indica pheno: she stretched less, has less internodal space and also the ripening seems to be a bit faster on this one. The on one the right (named Lisa) has some more sativa strains: she kept on stretching a lot longer and the internodal space is bigger. She's a bit bigger in general and definitely drinks a lot more. Her tops are an inch or two closer to the light. The last few days some foxtailing developed on Mace and today I noticed some leaves cupping. Hence, I reduced light times to 11 hours and 45 minutes a day and raised the lights a bit. I expect to be harvesting around the weekend of february 6.

So enjoy some pictures from my current grow and setup below and after that, a list of all the equipment I use (well, most of it, I probably forgot some things).

Happy growing and stay safe!

full

full

Some setup pictures:

Equipment list

Main setup:
  • Tent: Secret Jardin DS120W R4.0 Darkstreet;
  • Lights: Mars Hydro TSL 2000 (maximum usage: 320 watt);
  • Relay timer: Davin Hobby Timer DV-400 W 1x 400W (not necessary with LED grow, but better safe than sorry);
  • Exhaust: Vents TT 125 UnR1 (280 m2/hr, temperature controlled, built in dimmer);
  • Intake: 2 passive intakes on both sides of the tent with Secret Jardin DF16 Ducting Flanges and Secret Jardin DF16LB R4.00 Light Baffles;
  • Ducting: Sonoconnect ducting (sound insulated);
  • Filter: CAN Original Filter (200 m2/hr).
  • Ventilation: Secret Jardin Monkey Fan 16W;
  • Ventilation 2: Secret Jardin Monkey Fan Oscillating 20W.

Measurement equipment:
  • Temp & RH: 2 no-brand thermo/hygro meters (one outside the tent, one inside);
  • Energy: EcoSavers Energy meter (I use this to get both panels of the light dimmed equally);
  • EC & pH: Bluelab Conductivity Pen and pH Pen;
  • Cleaning: Bluelab probe and conductivity cleaner;
  • Calibration: Bluelab EC 2.77, pH 4.0 and 7.0;
  • Storage: Bluelab KCI storage solution.

Medium equipment and products:
  • Final Pots: 25L AirRap pots;
  • Early veg pots: 1L plastic pots;
  • Germination medium: Jiffy peat pellets;
  • Medium: Canna Coco Professional mixed with 35% perlite (about 75% is being re-used from last grow, fully rinsed and rebuffered);
  • Nutrients: GHE FloraTrio and CalMag supplement.

Miscellaneous:
  • Fire safety 1: Smartwares RM520 Smoke detector (above the tent)
  • Fire safety 2: Fire Knock Out 1.6 (automatic fire extinguisher directly above the tent, will activate if in contact with fire);
  • Electricity 1: 1,5 mm IP44 connection cord to power the relay (and thus the lights, plugged in a socked that’s on an empty group);
  • Electricity 2: Brennenstuhl power strip 8-way with switch (all other equipment is on this socket);
  • Hygiene 1: Sensicare Silk Nitrile gloves;
  • Hygiene 2: Isopropanol Alcohol 99,9% (I dilute this to 70% for disinfecting);
  • Hygiene 3: Ecolab P3-Ansep Chlorine Tablets (ideal for disinfecting the tent, just 1 tablet on 10L water);
  • Syringes: BD Emerald syringe 10ml and 1ml (both sizes with 100 pieces in a box, will last me a lifetime);
  • Pressure sprayer: Gardena Pressure Sprayer - 5 Liter;
  • Siphon pump: Eurom Electric Siphon Pump;
  • Propagator: ROOTiT Propagator;
  • Lab glass work: Wanddefol Borosilicate Glass Cup Set;
  • Binding wire: GreenForrest Flexi Tie;
  • Sticks: Silverline bamboo sticks 300 mm.

Automated fertigation:
  • Elho plant saucers (diameter 41 cm);
  • Black 10mm tubing (connected from saucer to drain bucket);
  • Bunch of rubber rings/flanges to watertight tubing going through the side of the drain bucket;
  • Sicce circulationpump nova 800L/Hr (in drain bucket, connected to a 13mm tubing that transports the drain outside of the tent);
  • Sicce circulationpump nova 800L/Hr running 24/7 in the fertigation vessel to keep the water agitated;
  • H-Tronic 1114620 water level sensor (to control the pump in the drain bucket);
  • Hozelock Easy Drip Universal Watering Kit (includes 13mm tubing, mini sprinklers, connection pieces, end pieces, etc. Also a quick garden hose connection set that is compatible with the connection on the pump in the fertigation vessel);
  • FlexiTank 50L (fertigation vessel, the top can be closed with a zipper);
  • Gardena Classic Clear Water Submersible Pump 7000/C (7000 L/Hr, around .6 bar, which is enough to make the sprinklers sprinkle [instead of dripping]): the main pump to deliver the goods at the plants ;
  • Digital timer to regulate the feeding pump.

And off course a load of typical household items are used during this grow, such as buckets, clips, towels, a pair of Ikebana scissors for dry trimming after harvest, mason jars for curing and a bunch of mini hygrometers. To protect my eyes, I use a good pair of Ski Goggles when working in the tent with lights on. I use a camping washing machine and Bubblebagdudes Bubble Bags 5 Gallon 8 Bag Set for hash making.

*****************************************************************************************************

Strain info (from breeder):
“UTOPIA HAZE is the result from generations of backcrossing and selection from a prized Brazilian landrace. In its first Cannabis cup the UTOPIA HAZE took both Cannabis and Sativa cups, and was called the overall favourite of the event. This is a tall mould and disease resistant plant, growing up to 130cm, and boasts a high yield of 650g per square metre. It bursts with citrus and mint flavours, and will give you a long lasting cerebral Sativa high.”

full

Welcome TegridyGrower to 420 Magazine. Great introduction can we get you to move this to your journal ? Great setup that you have housed around these fine girls. Below on my post is a link for new members. The way to start a journal is in there or hit the report button bottom left and ask to be moved to a journal!

Welcome, TegridyGrower!

• Fire safety 2: Fire Knock Out 1.6 (automatic fire extinguisher directly above the tent, will activate if in contact with fire);
Very good to see that safety measure! With all that water, moisture, chemicals and electric equipment, we should take great care. I also have a smoke detector by the tent and a fire extinguisher nearby - I don't expect to ever use it, but you know, just having it there is a one up on Murphy ;)

Hello all,

I think I've read a lot of topics on this site (came here a lot of times after Google searches) and there's really a lot of great content here. I was active on another side, but got disappointed with the quality of the content there, hence, I decided to register here.

I'm EU-based, in the end of my 30s, I own a consulting company (with the greatest employees ever!) and went back to college 3 years ago to study law, which has become a great passion of me. I live with my wife and dog in a densely populated area and since a little over a year I've been growing cannabis. I'm at my 3th round right now. I'm a non-medicinal smoker since almost 20 years. Big purist trigger alert: I mix with tobacco. There, I said it. Can't help it, it's just the way I like it the most. I do have a vaporizer but I only use it during holidays when I have absolutely nothing to do (which is not often, unfortunately).

About 22 years ago I got a 75 paged printed document from the (at time very new and modern) internet about how to grow cannabis. It was from my nephew, he downloaded it. I was still a teenager. I never used cannabis at that time, but it was extremely intriguing to me. I wanted to grow my own!

I was never in the position to start a grow for various reasons, but I kept on reading on the internet. Tutorials, grow journals and later on video's. From time to time I'd study in depth, planning my future grow. I saw LED enter the market in around 2010, but it wasn't a viable option at that time. During a new period of research in 2016, I noticed LED had become a more serious option. I liked the idea of having a cooler 'plug and play' light. When we moved to the house we now live in (2 years ago), I knew I would finally start a grow, because we own the house (before, we always rented) and we have enough space. My spouse didn't object, so at the beginning of december 2019 I started my career as a grower.

I have a small tent (Secret Jardin DS120w) that can hold two or three regular sized plants and grow them under the very bright Mars Hydro TSL 200, that fits perfect in my 60cm by 120cm (2 by 4 ft) grow tent. So, as said, I'm at my 3th round and every grow I did was a single strain grow. My first grow were three Sticky Beast in a soil and perlite mix, yielded around 280 grams or so, but like 65% was really small bud (still smoked fine tho and the hash I made from it was insane). My second grow was on coco/perlite with daily watering: three photoperiod Skunk plants. It yielded a little over 300 grams and I had a lot more well developed tops as I succeeded to create a flat canopy.

I'm in the 16th week of my current grow (110 days) and the two photoperiod Utopia Haze ladies have been flowering for 50 days. This is also a coco grow, but I automated the fertigation completely (including automated drain bucket). So multiple feeds a day now :). This grow, I also used a self made SCrOG net and I mainlined until 4 main tops. I am amazed by the results: I have a lot more big nuggets developing compared to my first two grows. Here is how the canopy looks now:

full

The one on the left (named Mace) is more of a indica pheno: she stretched less, has less internodal space and also the ripening seems to be a bit faster on this one. The on one the right (named Lisa) has some more sativa strains: she kept on stretching a lot longer and the internodal space is bigger. She's a bit bigger in general and definitely drinks a lot more. Her tops are an inch or two closer to the light. The last few days some foxtailing developed on Mace and today I noticed some leaves cupping. Hence, I reduced light times to 11 hours and 45 minutes a day and raised the lights a bit. I expect to be harvesting around the weekend of february 6.

So enjoy some pictures from my current grow and setup below and after that, a list of all the equipment I use (well, most of it, I probably forgot some things).

Happy growing and stay safe!

full

full

Some setup pictures:

Equipment list

Main setup:
  • Tent: Secret Jardin DS120W R4.0 Darkstreet;
  • Lights: Mars Hydro TSL 2000 (maximum usage: 320 watt);
  • Relay timer: Davin Hobby Timer DV-400 W 1x 400W (not necessary with LED grow, but better safe than sorry);
  • Exhaust: Vents TT 125 UnR1 (280 m2/hr, temperature controlled, built in dimmer);
  • Intake: 2 passive intakes on both sides of the tent with Secret Jardin DF16 Ducting Flanges and Secret Jardin DF16LB R4.00 Light Baffles;
  • Ducting: Sonoconnect ducting (sound insulated);
  • Filter: CAN Original Filter (200 m2/hr).
  • Ventilation: Secret Jardin Monkey Fan 16W;
  • Ventilation 2: Secret Jardin Monkey Fan Oscillating 20W.

Measurement equipment:
  • Temp & RH: 2 no-brand thermo/hygro meters (one outside the tent, one inside);
  • Energy: EcoSavers Energy meter (I use this to get both panels of the light dimmed equally);
  • EC & pH: Bluelab Conductivity Pen and pH Pen;
  • Cleaning: Bluelab probe and conductivity cleaner;
  • Calibration: Bluelab EC 2.77, pH 4.0 and 7.0;
  • Storage: Bluelab KCI storage solution.

Medium equipment and products:
  • Final Pots: 25L AirRap pots;
  • Early veg pots: 1L plastic pots;
  • Germination medium: Jiffy peat pellets;
  • Medium: Canna Coco Professional mixed with 35% perlite (about 75% is being re-used from last grow, fully rinsed and rebuffered);
  • Nutrients: GHE FloraTrio and CalMag supplement.

Miscellaneous:
  • Electricity 1: 1,5 mm IP44 connection cord to power the relay (and thus the lights, plugged in a socked that’s on an empty group);
  • Electricity 2: Brennenstuhl power strip 8-way with switch (all other equipment is on this socket);
  • Hygiene 1: Sensicare Silk Nitrile gloves;
  • Hygiene 2: Isopropanol Alcohol 99,9% (I dilute this to 70% for disinfecting);
  • Hygiene 3: Ecolab P3-Ansep Chlorine Tablets (ideal for disinfecting the tent, just 1 tablet on 10L water);
  • Syringes: BD Emerald syringe 10ml and 1ml (both sizes with 100 pieces in a box, will last me a lifetime);
  • Pressure sprayer: Gardena Pressure Sprayer - 5 Liter;
  • Siphon pump: Eurom Electric Siphon Pump;
  • Propagator: ROOTiT Propagator;
  • Lab glass work: Wanddefol Borosilicate Glass Cup Set;
  • Binding wire: GreenForrest Flexi Tie;
  • Sticks: Silverline bamboo sticks 300 mm.

Automated fertigation:
  • Elho plant saucers (diameter 41 cm);
  • Black 10mm tubing (connected from saucer to drain bucket);
  • Bunch of rubber rings/flanges to watertight tubing going through the side of the drain bucket;
  • Sicce circulationpump nova 800L/Hr (in drain bucket, connected to a 13mm tubing that transports the drain outside of the tent);
  • Sicce circulationpump nova 800L/Hr running 24/7 in the fertigation vessel to keep the water agitated;
  • H-Tronic 1114620 water level sensor (to control the pump in the drain bucket);
  • Hozelock Easy Drip Universal Watering Kit (includes 13mm tubing, mini sprinklers, connection pieces, end pieces, etc. Also a quick garden hose connection set that is compatible with the connection on the pump in the fertigation vessel);
  • FlexiTank 50L (fertigation vessel, the top can be closed with a zipper);
  • Gardena Classic Clear Water Submersible Pump 7000/C (7000 L/Hr, around .6 bar, which is enough to make the sprinklers sprinkle [instead of dripping]): the main pump to deliver the goods at the plants ;
  • Digital timer to regulate the feeding pump.

And off course a load of typical household items are used during this grow, such as buckets, clips, towels, a pair of Ikebana scissors for dry trimming after harvest, mason jars for curing and a bunch of mini hygrometers. To protect my eyes, I use a good pair of Ski Goggles when working in the tent with lights on. I use a camping washing machine and Bubblebagdudes Bubble Bags 5 Gallon 8 Bag Set for hash making.

*****************************************************************************************************

Strain info (from breeder):
“UTOPIA HAZE is the result from generations of backcrossing and selection from a prized Brazilian landrace. In its first Cannabis cup the UTOPIA HAZE took both Cannabis and Sativa cups, and was called the overall favourite of the event. This is a tall mould and disease resistant plant, growing up to 130cm, and boasts a high yield of 650g per square metre. It bursts with citrus and mint flavours, and will give you a long lasting cerebral Sativa high.”

full
Absolutely beautiful.

Welcome, TegridyGrower!

Very good to see that safety measure! With all that water, moisture, chemicals and electric equipment, we should take great care. I also have a smoke detector by the tent and a fire extinguisher nearby - I don't expect to ever use it, but you know, just having it there is a one up on Murphy ;)

Yep, spending $$ on products you'll hope to never use, but it can really help to reduce a potential disaster to a minor inconvience.

Back
Top Bottom