High Brix Refractometer Results Log & Data Thread - Post Your Brix Levels Here

Re: High Brix refractometer results log and data thread.. post your Brix levels here.

I'm so not an expert on soil chemistry, heheh! I just did one run with the 6-5-3 formula before going with the kit soil, and I've had three harvests from that.

Mineralized soil is definitely an improvement, but it needs the soil biota to make it available and that's where it gets tricky if you're flying solo. I think you're right about gypsum - it's not like you have an "ideal" mineral balance anyway.

The gypsum will be there when the biota need it. Concentrate on teas.

... I think. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Re: High Brix refractometer results log and data thread.. post your Brix levels here.

Again ... so not an expert, but ...

Everyone seems to like T&J Enterprises tea. There's also another entire method known as ACT and AACT.

There are other members who are well versed.

(and thanks for the compliments :cheesygrinsmiley:)

Minerized 6-5-3
50% coco- 25% vermiculite - 25% perlite
Feeding with fish ferts
Flower about day 50
Leaf taken from middle of plant
Green House Seed "The Church"
Watered last over 1 week
IMG_20140121_101836.jpg

IMG_20140121_095509.jpg

Heyhey! 15 - excellent!

:thumb:

It was actually 16. That was the clearest pic I could get with my tablet.

It was actually 16. That was the clearest pic I could get with my tablet.

Very nice reading and report high420kwats!!!

Ty, I tested a leaf from the same strain ( clone ) in vegetation going Hi-Brix and it was an "8".

IMG_20140121_161153.jpg

Ty, I tested a leaf from the same strain ( clone ) in vegetation going Hi-Brix and it was an "8".

8 is a little low for a HB grow, but this is a pretty young plant and it looks like you've been working on her so she might be a little off-kilter. You've been spraying stress regularly? It should pick up to 10 or higher soon.

Keep in mind that drier leaves will read higher, so take that into account as you test.

The plant looks great!

I'm growing roots right now.
I have been alternating between brix with energy & tea and transplant & stress weekly.
I've been letting them dry out. Making those roots stretch.
I have also defloiated, want some light to get into all the little nodes.
I'm going to stretch the Double Glock way out, I just transplanted it Thursday.
But I did water the church Sunday & took the reading today.

I don't know that there's a preferred ...

I haven't been very careful, and I get erratic readings ... sometimes I'll take a leaf and it's a little thin and unsubstantial, and I'll realize the pot is a little dry and sure enough, it'll read high. Heck, I got a 20 on this last reading of Utopia - its leaves are naturally thin and brittle anyway. I retested a better sample and got the 15/17 I expected. The point of the readings is to measure differences in your own plants as you adjust your method. I think it probably is fairly accurate to compare different grows, but it's hard to compare a large old dry leaf in one grow to a small new plump leaf on another one.

It's reading dissolved solids and sugars in the fluid of the plant material, so ... is there a state where the plant retains more fluid? Maybe when the stoma open or close? I just try to find an average sized, average condition, average aged leaf for a sample, and I take it at the same time of day every time - for me it's after I've taken them out into dim light to take pics at about mid-day each week.

So tonight I was curious on where my brix levels were at since the plants have been getting foliar sprays Amaze and PGR as well as rotated every 4 days with a T and J tea foliar spray. The plants leaves are definitely getting very shiny/waxy looking and so I was hoping to see high results, but some of the tests blew my mind, especially being in veg.

I also was curious about the difference between the sap in the plant (from the stem of the leaf) and the actual brix reading of the squished and squeezed leaf. I was curious to know if there was any correlation between the 2 readings but the results were somewhat interesting, not always the higher sap brix meant a higher leaf brix, but most cases it proved true.

The soil is my own version of mineralized high brix soil and the recipie can be found on my journal titled grow 6.0 as well as the top led journal of mine in my signature.

It was sort of a Pain in the uknowwhat testing each separately but I think it was a fun test and showed me what I wanted to know. To do this I picked a mature leaf, about 5-7 nodes down from a more prominent top from each plant. For the sap test I cut off the stem only and squeezed the juice out of it, and tested it. For the leaf test I balled up the leaf, squished and pulverized it a few times, and took the juice reading. The readings were also taken about 4 hours after the lights came on, currently the plants are in veg, and I am running the Gas Lantern Routine with Mars II leds.

Here were the results...
Brix Reading
SAP-LEAF
SFV OG: 6-13
UVH OG: 4.5-12
OGIESEL: 5-14
Cherry Pie: 6-17
Front GSC 7/8-21
Back GSC 8-23.5

Here are the photos of the actual test. The leaves are layed out in order they were tested as well as the position they are in my tent.

The first brix reading is the stem reading, the 2nd one is the leaf reading. Some of the tests didn't photo well but were very clear with my eye as the line was very defined. My camera didn't want to focus well though on some of the shots.

DSC084433.JPG

SFV OG BRIX of Sap 6, Brix of Leaf 13
DSC08445.JPG
DSC084461.JPG
DSC08444.JPG
DSC084471.JPG

UVH OG BRIX of Sap 4.5, Brix of Leaf 12
DSC084491.JPG
DSC084501.JPG
DSC084481.JPG
DSC08451.JPG

OGiesel: BRIX of Sap 5, Brix of Leaf 14
DSC084531.JPG
DSC08454.JPG
DSC084521.JPG
DSC084552.JPG

Cherry Pie: BRIX of Sap 6, Brix of Leaf 17
DSC084571.JPG
DSC084602.JPG
DSC084562.JPG
DSC084611.JPG

Front GSC: BRIX of Sap 7.5, Brix of Leaf 21
DSC084632.JPG
DSC084651.JPG
DSC084641.JPG
DSC084622.JPG
DSC084692.JPG

Back GSC: BRIX of Sap 7.5-8, Brix of Leaf 23.5

DSC084701.JPG
DSC084713.JPG
DSC084724.JPG

I am really impressed with the readings and I am still in veg. The plants are definitely reacting very fast to my scrogging and within hours are already turning towards the light and bending. Its pretty amazing! I can't wait to see these babies in flowering :)

Some of the sweetest dessert wine I've ever drunk was 37° Brix at harvest (botrytis induced)

Apples appear to test in around 18°, and strawberries 17° on an excellent reading. Brix Values Of Fruit

It's hard for me to imagine there being as much sugar as 23° in a cannabis leaf, making it effectively sweeter than a strawberry, and other sweet fruits

I assume you are calibrating between each reading with a standard solution?

Not doubting, just hard to imagine is all.... :Namaste:

It's not just a measurement of sugars:

Brix as used here refers to the total dissolved solids in the juice squeezed out of a plant's leaves or fruit. Distilled water is 0 brix. About the richest brix you will see is 30-35. Although you will hear that brix measures "sugar," brix actually reflects the total solids - the sum of the sugars, minerals, hormones, oils, amino acids, proteins, flavors, and whatever else. For instance, 100 pounds of 24 brix grape juice would yield 24 pounds of solids. Brix is measured with an ordinary hand refractometer, which many people call a brixmeter

Gardening for Maximum Nutrition

Yep Gray. Think of brix like PPM. You don't know exactly what is in the "juice" when you read brix. You just learn if there is lots of stuff besides water. Lots of stuff is an indicator of healthy metabolism.

I didn't know this thread was here.

My recent darkstar harvest the plant hung out around 14 and spiked to 17.5 right before harvest. I haven't brixed the OG I have in the second week of flower recently. It was 12.5 before flipping to 12/12. Maybe I'll do that now.

I just remembered about this thread and checked my brix levels tonight.

Type of strain and Brix reading:
mystery kush 1- 20-21
mystery kush 2- 21-23
mystery kush 3- 16-17

Harlequin- 22-23

Black cherry cola 1- 20-21
Black cherry cola2- 18-19

Checked the sap of mystery kush 1 and the sap at leaf cut immediately after cut was 16 brix.
I didn't check the others.

How long in veg/bloom?
Day 36 of flowering from

What time of day was sample taken? (morning, mid day, evening)

The samples were taken 4 hours after the lights cam

What area of the plant was sampled? (top, middle, new growth?)(leaf, bud)
The leaf samples were taken from the 4-5th node on each plant from the top of the cola.

What growing method or medium?

See my journal, its a re-used mineralized soil.

What nutrients are being used? and whats feeding schedule?
3 part feeding schedule, 1 week plain water with cal/mag and epsom salt, 2nd weed earthjuice tea, 3rd week TandJ compost tea, repeat.
The plants are fed every day at lights on, and given 2-3 cups of water per day.

Are foliar sprays being used, what kind and feeding schedule?
I haven't used foliar sprays since about week 3 of flowering. I was using a combo of Amaze, PGR, yucca extract, organic b, carboload and sometimes fulvic acid and cold pressed seaweed.

What Lighting is being used?
3x Intelligent Gro LED 180w panels on full intensity with no dimming schedule.
approx 250-700 umol across canopy.

CO2?? yes, no, and PPM if you have readouts..
Yes, 4 milk jugs with fermentation method of yeast, water and sugar.

Link to the journal they are growing in, with details... Icemud's Intelligent Gro 2 LED Grow With V-Scrog - Going for 1lb & Beyond!

DSC09675.JPG
DSC09676.JPG
DSC09677.JPG
DSC09680.JPG
DSC09682.JPG
DSC09684.JPG
DSC09685.JPG
DSC09687.JPG
DSC09688.JPG
DSC09689.JPG

Back
Top Bottom