How long can you veg for until you flip to flowering?

FoolishWise Guy

Hi guys happy new year

Wanted to nw I don't really see the point in growing all that length of the plant and only the top have bugs sights

Would you guys say
16 to 18icnch is big enough on a Plant to be flipped to flowering or worse case 20inch

For instance.... Can I veg the plant till its 20inch tall and flip the plant ?

Assuming you are not growing autos, you can veg as long as you want. They do stretch a lot when set to flower (sometimes as much as double their height), so if you let it grow 'til it is 6 foot tall and THEN switch to flower, things are gonna get a little wonky for you.

ditto Sueet you can veg indefinitely for realz….

you can do whatevs with a small one but know that method is called forcing flower which is kinda way different from vegging until she shows sexual maturity = alternating nodes at top

Both methods work fine but it takes longer for flower hormones to build up and switch her over to flower and for pistils to appear when you force a young chick by flipping her light hours.

but wait there’s more… allow her to sexually mature and then continue vegging a bit longer and she will begin to blossom on her own…. after which you can flip her light hours over to flower and know she’s gonna pop pistils hard and fast

old saying goes - let them blossom before you try to make them bloom….

but yes theres many ways to skin a cat

with lst training, supercropping etc there’s no reason to have a tall plant but regardless of tall or short I’ll take a sexually mature chick any day…. he, he, he trust me I would

Can’t find much about that strain but looks like it should be short in stature. If you are going to super crop then you can do that as long as you have the grown so tall space as well. My plants were 3 feet when I flipped and they take up my whole 6 foot tent now with barley enough room for the light now lol. That said they would have been a lot taller but I cut them back and let them recover a bit before flip.

allow her to sexually mature and then continue vegging a bit longer and she will begin to blossom on her own…. after which you can flip her light hours over to flower and know she’s gonna pop pistils hard and fast
Happy 22 everyone, this is a question I'm just asking myself, so perfect timing for this thread to pop up! What would you say are signs of sexual maturity, promoting a flip to 12? My girls are shaping up after some trials and tribulations, and I use the moon as a guide outdoors, so I want to time the flip with the right lunar conditions

technically you can veg forever. that's how you keep clone mother plants.
there are strains that are clone only.

I'm thinking of doing doing the same let them grow to 3feet and the week of switching there still will put on height
How many days under lights are they bro? Mine would easily be 2 to 3 ft if I'd not bent branches and spread them out... I've had them going for about 46 days , and was thinking another 30 days give or take, before I flip

What would you say are signs of sexual maturity, promoting a flip to 12?
As @013 mentions in his reply above the best sign is when the new growth nodes start to alternate instead of being directly opposite each other.

When the plant is still young we will notice that there are two nodes opposite each with a leaf and then a new stem grows. Then as it matures, at approx 4 weeks to 6 weeks and sometimes 8 weeks old, we will notice when looking at the new growth that the second node is slightly higher. Several more days to a week and the second node is definitely higher. Some people will figure that the plant is ready but I tend to wait a bit longer.

Another week or so and we will notice that new nodes are not only alternating but they are no longer on the other side of the stalk. The new node is only about 1/3 of the way across. At this point the new nodes are starting a spiral which is something that is easy to see when we look at a stack of buds on just about any plant several weeks into full flower.

Now the plant is ready and if put under a flowering light schedule it will start the process in 5-10 days though some plants take several days more.
My girls are shaping up after some trials and tribulations, and I use the moon as a guide outdoors, so I want to time the flip with the right lunar conditions
If the moon and stars are not right or you are waiting for the Second Coming or maybe even the Rise of the Age of Aquarius;):) then just keep the plant under the vegetating light schedule. It will continue to grow so plan on one or more training techniques.

013 brings up what happens next if the plant is kept from flowering once it is sexually mature. At each new node a pistil will show. No need to panic, that is 'almost all' the plant will do, show one pistil (actually two stigma) and no other signs of flowering...no calyx, swollen bracht, nothing, just the pistil. Look carefully in the area of this sort of pre-flower and some early trichomes will be visible.

I am not even sure if it can be pollinated since there is no place for a seed to form. This stage happens big time on my plants that tend to look more Indica dominant.

Once it is sexually mature we can put the plant into flower at any time. Or, it can be kept under a vegetating light schedule. There are a lot of growers who have kept female plants as 'mothers' for years. Do not forget that any cutting that is taken from the mother plant will also be in and remain in the sexually mature stage. It might make it a bit harder to get them to root but they can become new plants with some patience.

Good luck and have fun.

ditto on SmokingWings sexually maturity = alternating nodes on top

when started from seed plants will have even pairs of limbs (nodes) … they join the main stalk on opposites sides but at the same height level on the trunk. A chick will show alternating nodes once she reaches sexually mature.… but even nodes versus alternating nodes ties into clones also.

clones cut from low on a veg plant usually retain even node pairs… while clones taken from near the top of the plant will often have alternate node placement…. but if you clone the very top of a plant having even nodes then the clone will have even pairs of nodes until it reaches sexual maturity.

however most clones you see in pics will have alternating node spacing

rule of a clone… a clone is always same age as host mother plant, even if you repeat clone after clone for generation after generation for 10 years straight. the last clone is a literal piece of the first clone

clones taken from a flowering plant need to be revegged, in reveg the plant stalls out for 3 to 5 weeks to switch hormones from flower back to veg. Eventually single bladed fan leaves will pop, then more time elapses & it will add 3 blades fans and later still it will pop 5 bladed fan leaves then resuming growing as normal. After she completes reveg it’s called monster cropped & will be bushy beast with crap tons of branching

If the moon and stars are not right or you are waiting for the Second Coming or maybe even the Rise of the Age of Aquarius;):) then just keep the plant under the vegetating light schedule. It will continue to grow so plan on one or more training techniques.
Haha cunny funt! In certain times of a lunar cycle, a plant of any kind will respond to the lunar pull or push of water, the same as ocean tides, meaning it has certain times of root development, veg growth, flowering and fruiting. It is also a great way to time a harvest. Here in the southern hemisphere, most outdoor cannabis plants will start the pre flower stretch around the start of February, so was trying to tie it in to that. I have some minor nute burn, so I'm going to leach pots and wells today. I'll take a pic and put it on my thread and tag some of you guys to see what you think. Thanks for the wealth of experience and knowledge, you guys have made my first indoor grow, so much less stressful, even though I'm making all the classic newbie mistakes lol! Much:green_heart:And respect

I sorta proved ya can't veg indefinitely. I had a very bizzare sativa dominant plant in a 40 gal. smart pot for something like 9 months. In the end it was literally covered with pre flowers, but still in veg. Eventually it just gave up and died. <> The way I'm operating now is all from clones: plants in veg house are cloned before going to flower house, grow up the clones, repeat. I'm not even sure what generation I'm on... maybe about 6 by now. So far no clear indication that the genetics are suffering, which makes sense, because you can't break DNA, right? Some phenos are better cloners. <> I tend to be lazy and let plants stay in veg too long... still working this out. I predict that when I dial it in better, yield will be higher.

I topped this plant about 3 times... it was still touching the top of the greenhouse up there at about 10 ft when it pooped out...
monster.png

Back
Top Bottom