How long have you been growing for?

he's my man. one of the best musicians ever
I live in Cucamonga. It's now Rancho Cucamonga, but when he was here it was without Rancho.

Tities and Beer is one of my favorite songs

Just because you don't understand what a lot of people are talking about. Don't worry. I have been growing since I was 14 and I'm 57 now. I still don't understand what a lot of people are talking about here.

It is not all about how long you have grown. It is also how many strains you have grown in that time. Reading is knowledge that is for sure. It can only take you so far. You need to learn the rest from the plants themselves.

I have learned more in the last 5 years of growing and looking for my favorite strains. Then I did in all my previous years put together. This was because I grew lots of strains that acted totally different. For a weed this plant can be quite humbling lol.

A better question to ask might be "How many strains have you grown".

So many interesting ways to look at accumulative knowledge and how we each go about obtaining it.
I started from seed and by the time I cracked my first seed 16 months have passed. I read constantly on the internet for months before jumping into this. I researched the main process, then the equipment and made my first leap from there.
I have never stopped reading since. Just using this forum counts as studying.
If you consider your growing methods compared to other people's you will better understand how some may have started growing at the same time as someone else but they appear to excel much faster over the course of a one year period.
For example I grow indoors, and I clone. Over the course of a one year period I completed approx.4 harvests. Someone who only has access to growing outdoors would only have completed 1 harvest in that same time period. No fault of theirs but the indoor grower obtained 4X the experience that the outdoor grower obtained.
Another factor would be running into big issues in your fist grow or two. I personally have not had to deal with a pest problem yet. Therefor I don't have much real world knowledge on the topic. Once I do some day have an issue I will then research more in depth on the topic to attempt to correct the issue. The grower who might have half the grows under their belt compared to myself may have had a hard time and dealt with many issues. This puts their knowledge on a higher shelf than the time they put in.
Just my view.

So many interesting ways to look at accumulative knowledge and how we each go about obtaining it.
I started from seed and by the time I cracked my first seed 16 months have passed. I read constantly on the internet for months before jumping into this. I researched the main process, then the equipment and made my first leap from there.
I have never stopped reading since. Just using this forum counts as studying.
If you consider your growing methods compared to other people's you will better understand how some may have started growing at the same time as someone else but they appear to excel much faster over the course of a one year period.
For example I grow indoors, and I clone. Over the course of a one year period I completed approx.4 harvests. Someone who only has access to growing outdoors would only have completed 1 harvest in that same time period. No fault of theirs but the indoor grower obtained 4X the experience that the outdoor grower obtained.
Another factor would be running into big issues in your fist grow or two. I personally have not had to deal with a pest problem yet. Therefor I don't have much real world knowledge on the topic. Once I do some day have an issue I will then research more in depth on the topic to attempt to correct the issue. The grower who might have half the grows under their belt compared to myself may have had a hard time and dealt with many issues. This puts their knowledge on a higher shelf than the time they put in.
Just my view.

Regarding pests. Prevention is way better than the experience. I wipe down my tent and equipment with H202 before starting the grow. I water my soil with nematodes before starting. I’m half way through flowering, so I’ve got my spray bottle of diluted apple vinegar handy. Having had those problems once I really don’t want them again.

Indeed very interesting to hear all this I agree!
I started growing in around december when I worked at a cannabis company. We were building retail stores so one of the managers ordered a tent to potentially sell on the market. Once I saw the tent my interest along with 2 of my ex co workers were caught, we were in! We all started growing and learning from each other. We just ended up ordering a bunch of equipment and tents and were all on our way to our first grow. My first strain was white widow auto and ended up with 59grams which was awesome as only my crop ended up being smokable so I shared the harvest with them. 2nd grow went well with clones except for the thrips that were in the plants when I got them but fixed that up and got about about 100grams between 3 plants, I was happy. 3rd grow I thought i got this mastered, grew 3 autos from seed and it was going greatt till around week 3 flower when 2 dried and died completely and the third dying around week 7 flower....this was definitely a awakening as it was 4 months wasted energy and electricity. My current grow have not been perfect but with help from @GHempster and many people here I have a good feeling I will have some small but decent bud. That's my history in a nutshell. Only up from here! :headbanger:

I've been at it for a little over 3 years. I spent some time at a few other forums before this. By the time I got here I had my RDWC trouble shot and I was using Black Dog lights. I started this forum in March of 2017.

I grew pot in high school a few times, but that doesnt mean I've been growing for 30 years. Counting strains from Jacklope is an interesting idea, but I've been growing the same strain for the last 3 seasons. And what about guys growing outside who only have one shot at it in a year like Lizard said... talk about pressure. Or the guy who has multiple tents who can get 8 seasons a year (I know of one in particular... starts with a T and ends with Bucket. What about the guy that wants to only grow Grinspoon. Not an easy plant. And has a 100 day flower, will he understand a tight indica? How long have you grown is a bit of a loaded question. My Afghani Hash plants from back in the day dont really count. I wonder how many have read this question and count that time they went swimming in the crik, got there bag wet, and some seeds sprouted.

I grew my first plants In February 2019. Canada had just made it legal in Oct 2018. I started reading up on it and thought I can do this. I did quite a bit of reading on pH, nutrients, lights, tents, switches, ducting and so on. I quickly came to the conclusion that I must treat it as a science. I then set about ordering assets. I then planted 4 seeds and harvested 20 ounces. I had told the wife that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. I may have spent more cash than I wanted to but also told her some things only need to be bought once. I think one big error was NUTES. the stuff I used was rather expensive. Cocotek grow A + B as well as Cocotek bloom A + B. This time around I had a fair bit of grow nutes but short on bloom so opted to replace it with GH Flora trio. Next time I might use Megacrop.

I grew my first plants In February 2019. Canada had just made it legal in Oct 2018. I started reading up on it and thought I can do this. I did quite a bit of reading on pH, nutrients, lights, tents, switches, ducting and so on. I quickly came to the conclusion that I must treat it as a science. I then set about ordering assets. I then planted 4 seeds and harvested 20 ounces. I had told the wife that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. I may have spent more cash than I wanted to but also told her some things only need to be bought once. I think one big error was NUTES. the stuff I used was rather expensive. Cocotek grow A + B as well as Cocotek bloom A + B. This time around I had a fair bit of grow nutes but short on bloom so opted to replace it with GH Flora trio. Next time I might use Megacrop.
4 seeds 20 ounces I say thats a amazing pull myself!
I started off with green planet part 3, still using it now but will be empty soon. I will be using megacrop for all my grows now and see how that compares, got a 2500g bag myself and will be ordering BE when smaller sizes become available to canada.

Nice!

Only ever grown outdoors, 8 years. And always learning something new. Good to see a few veteran outdoor growers on this site! Not sure that I'll ever make the switch to growing under lights, seems like a whole different ball game. But equal amount of respect for both type of growers. Peace out!

Attachments

• 20190307_165821.jpg
    20190307_165821.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190309_191803.jpg
    20190309_191803.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190307_165750.jpg
    20190307_165750.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 59
Only ever grown outdoors, 8 years. And always learning something new. Good to see a few veteran outdoor growers on this site! Not sure that I'll ever make the switch to growing under lights, seems like a whole different ball game. But equal amount of respect for both type of growers. Peace out!

I miss growing outdoors, wouldn't have started growing indoors if I didn't absolutely have to, it's just not as fulfilling to me for some reason.

I miss growing outdoors, wouldn't have started growing indoors if I didn't absolutely have to, it's just not as fulfilling to me for some reason.
I would love to grow outdoors. I live in California, but growing outdoors is a no no where I'm at. It needs to be done in an enclosed, lockable space. I can only imagine going from 6 pound plants to 1 pound plants on a good season has to hurt a little.

I would love to grow outdoors. I live in California, but growing outdoors is a no no where I'm at. It needs to be done in an enclosed, lockable space. I can only imagine going from 6 pound plants to 1 pound plants on a good season has to hurt a little.

Yeah legalization here is a joke when almost every municipality has ridiculous regulations like that in place! I live in a more rural area but not far from you and still can't grow outdoors unless I have agricultural zoning!

Yeah legalization here is a joke when almost every municipality has ridiculous regulations like that in place! I live in a more rural area but not far from you and still can't grow outdoors unless I have agricultural zoning!
But! In my mind growing inside has a LOT more to it and there for more interesting. It has a lot more challenges. But my point loses traction when I seen a 12 foot high monster with a double digit weight... man I wish I could grow outside! Haha

So you're in the 909? If you're ever in Rancho give me a heads up

Back
Top Bottom