How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Guess I need to work in navigation....
Tis all good! If you do find a method that you like that isn't posted, or a good how to write up then this is the spot to post (or questions!).

To navigate to the first page, scroll to where it has arrow(s) with numbers and click the 1

Has anyone tried using a vacuum saver with a jar sealer attachment to vacuum out all the air in mason jar for the curing process? wondering what effect the vacuum would have on the tricomes. Would it burst them? Has anyone tried this yet?
Thanks guys for all your information that you publish...
I am doing this

I use a refrigerator in my basement. First, I trim the bud while wet and leave it on the branches, and then arrange them in a vase or other container, and let them sit in the refrigerator in the vase like a bunch of flowers, for about a week or more. When they seem dry on the outside, I cut them off the branches and put them in paper bags for a week, in the refrigerator. The last step is to put the buds in a CV vault with Boveda paks and a hygrometer and they cure over several weeks. Jars would work as well, with Boveda packs. This is easy and slow and for me, produces perfect buds.
What is a cc vault?
I have a non cooling refrigerator that has a small fan could I put racks in it and use it? I'm sick of burping jars, I have no sense of time and always wind up leaving the lds off too long or not long enough or something.

What is a cc vault?
I have a non cooling refrigerator that has a small fan could I put racks in it and use it? I'm sick of burping jars, I have no sense of time and always wind up leaving the lds off too long or not long enough or something.
How do you keep your beer cool? ;) Actually, it is a good and an interesting question on the 'non-cooling' refrigerator.

The idea of the fridge is that the buds dry out slowly. They loose moisture and the the bag slows it down. The fan in the fridge blows air across the paper bags allowing for the moisture to evaporate off the paper. Cool air in the fridge helps keep the evaporate slow.

It should be able to work as long as the fridge is not in a garage or back room which gets real hot in the summer.

I have a fridge in our back room and I use that one for drying weed and for cooling beer during the summer. In the winter the room gets so cold that the beer can sit on the table and I turn off the fridge. When the fridge is off I put the paper bags in the kitchen fridge but by the end of March the back room is getting warm and that fridge has been turned on again.

Yes I have several fridges...lol
This is an old dorm fridge that quit coolin
I know I'm just no good with the mason jar technical support
The last batch I spent months gradually bringing them down from 75rh to ,72% then67%% then 65% 62% and then opened one last time got stoned and forgot to close the jars before going to bed! It's always dry here when it's not raining! Fukin-oklahoma-weather.
Those jars are now sitting in the low fifties and high forties

I was under the impression that the drying should be done in paper bags, boxes, a tent or cabinet. Then when the material has reached the right dryness it gets placed in the jars for the cure stage. Once cured the jars do not have to be opened all that often. I tend to reopen once a month for several seconds just to check on what has been happening and close them back up.

The easy way to prevent another disaster is to put several grams into the smaller jars. That is what I will open when I am going to roll something. These small jars come in 8 oz or 4 oz (by liquid measuring) versions. They use the same lids and rings as the pint or larger jars. I think that they are less likely to break if they fall. I have about 10 jars in the dresser drawer and 8 of them are the small ones and a couple of half-pint size jelly jars.

A picture of what some of the small jars look like. The one on the end with the black top is something that used to have instant coffee in it. Now it stores some dill seeds for next season.

stashjars01a.jpg

Well typically I get them down to , seventy or sixty five open one last time for just a few minutes then smoke one blunt forget and leave them open all night nd ruin them
I am im NZ and i grow mine in a 12x10 ft. Greenhouse. I grow all year round. Mu plants are just begining to Bud. I grow them in Yates planti g mix im using 40ltr. Pots.

What is a cc vault?
I have several Canna Vaults. They are stainless steel containers that have a slot in the lid to hold Boveda paks. I use these to store my weed because they stay stable. I also have smaller ones for my current stash. Look 'em up.

Here are some things I have learned about drying weed.
First, the humidity in the air, plus the temperature, are the main considerations.
In the summer, the refrigerator method works really well, because I live in SW Missouri where the summer humidity is pretty high. Not as high as down further South - Alabama and Louisiana, for example. I think down there you would really appreciate the refrigerator method.
The refrigerator reduces the humidity in the weed fairly quickly. I usually begin with trimming the branches and placing those branches in a vase or something that lets them sit upright. After the first few days, check and if they are starting to dry enough that the outside of the buds feel dry and a bit stiff. Then trim off the buds from the branches and place them loosely in brown paper bags. Another method I use is placing the buds in cardboard boxes that close tightly but leave room for breathing. Like egg boxes you get at big box stores with five dozen eggs. I like using those, but you have to watch them. They work fast.
But right now we are lucky to have 16 percent humidity in the air. It is cold. Yes, we are snowing.
So another reason to use the refrigerator. It is consistently slow.
If you let the weed sit out in this air it will dry to a crisp too fast.
Sorry, been toking and my thoughts are racing - hard to get it down before it dissolves. LOL
When I first started growing, I dried the weed in a drying rack (circular with four sections) that I hung on the screened in porch. This was great except during extreme conditions. Like the humid summer. Or the dry as heck winter. But one time it froze down to 0 degrees. I thought the weed was ruined, but after bringing it in and finishing it in a closet in the guest bedroom, it was perfect.
I never tried it again because I figured that was a fluke and I was saved by the gods.
After awhile, it is like being a parent. At first everything is a horrible tragedy in a minefield you feel hopelessly unable to traverse; and then you get experienced and you relax. Of course, you can't get complacent. That's how you end up with 40-year-olds living in your basement, soaking up the Internet and binge-watching movies. Or playing video games 24-hours a day while drinking up all your beer and smoking all your weed. You don't want that.
So, learn not to panic and compile experience and lots of resources, and you'll be fine. Kids will graduate with honors and then go on to college on scholarships, and maybe someday ... well the sky's the limit.
Same for weed. That's why crazy people like me are able to grow in a 5 X 5 tent in the basement.
Ciao.

First, the humidity in the air, plus the temperature, are the main considerations.
In the summer, the refrigerator method works really well, because I live in SW Missouri where the summer humidity is pretty high. Not as high as down further South - Alabama and Louisiana, for example. I think down there you would really appreciate the refrigerator method.
The refrigerator reduces the humidity in the weed fairly quickly. I usually begin with trimming the branches and placing those branches in a vase or something that lets them sit upright. After the first few days, check and if they are starting to dry enough that the outside of the buds feel dry and a bit stiff. Then trim off the buds from the branches and place them loosely in brown paper bags. Another method I use is placing the buds in cardboard boxes that close tightly but leave room for breathing. Like egg boxes you get at big box stores with five dozen eggs. I like using those, but you have to watch them. They work fast.
But right now we are lucky to have 16 percent humidity in the air. It is cold. Yes, we are snowing.
Sorry, been toking and my thoughts are racing - hard to get it down before it dissolves. LOL
When I first started growing, I dried the weed in a drying rack (circular with four sections) that I hung on the screened in porch. This was great except during extreme conditions. Like the humid summer. Or the dry as heck winter. But one time it froze down to 0 degrees. I thought the weed was ruined, but after bringing it in and finishing it in a closet in the guest bedroom, it was perfect.
I never tried it again because I figured that was a fluke and I was saved by the gods.
After awhile, it is like being a parent. At first everything is a horrible tragedy in a minefield you feel hopelessly unable to traverse; and then you get experienced and you relax. Of course, you can't get complacent. That's how you end up with 40-year-olds living in your basement, soaking up the Internet and binge-watching movies. Or playing video games 24-hours a day while drinking up all your beer and smoking all your weed. You don't want that.
So, learn not to panic and compile experience and lots of resources, and you'll be fine. Kids will graduate with honors and then go on to college on scholarships, and maybe someday ... well the sky's the limit.
Same for weed. That's why crazy people like me are able to grow in a 5 X 5 tent in the basement.
Ciao.

Ciao.

I thought about a dorm fridge. But I think you would be happier if you just got a cheap used frost free refrigerator and used that.

Burying your weed in mason jars wouldn't serve any purpose. The jars are airtight and watertight. And you'd have to dig them up regularly to air them out

@Rexer Hey buddy! You don't me but I know you've seen me around lol
I just wanted to say a massive :thanks: for this thread & taking the time to log it all & write it down.
I read your article on curing weed & I wish I had seen it before I started drying my last grow.
I just followed what every book says & let them stalks snap before I jarred them. I thought the buds were a bit crispy but I've always been defeated by ' impatience ' so just stuck it out.
Once placed in the jars it took about 2 days for the RH to rise & I had the boveda 62% packs in there as well.
The smell never returned to the buds, even after 4 weeks in jars. It had an aroma once grinded, squeezed or smoked. But whenever I stuck my face in the jar, I was always welcomed with that dry grass smell. I thought I had followed the rules to the letter.....but still no smell.
Don't get me wrong, the quality of the bud & the high was fine..just disappointed I didn't get that lush, pungent, dank weed smell.

I shall be referring to this again.

Thanks again dude :thumb:

One :love:

Back
Top Bottom