How to Store Dried Magic Mushrooms

Dried magic mushrooms are less likely to spoil than fresh ones and can be stored for longer periods. Here’s how to store them:

Use Airtight Containers: Store your dried magic mushrooms in airtight containers to protect them from moisture and air. Glass jars with airtight seals are a good option. These containers prevent air from entering and moisture from accumulating, which can lead to mold growth. Mason jars or vacuum-sealed bags are excellent choices for this purpose.

Store in a Cool, Dark Place: Psilocybin, the psychoactive compound in magic mushrooms, is sensitive to light and heat. Therefore, it’s crucial to store your containers in a cool, dark place to preserve the potency of the mushrooms. A cupboard or a drawer away from direct sunlight and heat sources would be ideal. This will help maintain the quality of the mushrooms over time.

Consider Using Desiccants: To keep your mushrooms as dry as possible, consider using a desiccant, a substance that absorbs moisture, in the container. Desiccants are particularly useful if you live in a humid environment where moisture is likely to seep into your storage containers. Some examples of desiccants include silica gel packets or oxygen absorbers. Place the desiccant at the bottom of the container and then place your mushrooms on top, or place the desiccant in a separate bag within the container to prevent direct contact with the mushrooms. Remember to replace the desiccant periodically as it absorbs moisture over time.

Check Regularly: Even though dried mushrooms are less likely to spoil, it’s still a good idea to check them regularly for any signs of mold or other spoilage. If you notice any changes in color, smell, or texture, it might be a sign that your mushrooms are no longer good to consume. Regular checks will help you identify any issues early and prevent the consumption of spoiled mushrooms.

Common Mistakes to Avoid When Storing Magic Mushrooms

When storing magic mushrooms, there are a few common mistakes that can lead to a loss of potency or spoilage. Here are some to avoid:

Storing Fresh Mushrooms in Plastic: Plastic bags or containers can trap moisture, leading to a higher risk of mold. Always use paper bags or airtight containers for storage. Plastic doesn’t breathe, which can create a humid environment inside the bag or container. This humidity can accelerate the growth of mold and bacteria, leading to quicker spoilage.

Exposing Mushrooms to Heat or Light: As mentioned earlier, psilocybin is sensitive to heat and light. Always store your mushrooms in a cool, dark place. Exposure to heat can speed up the degradation of psilocybin, reducing the potency of your mushrooms. Similarly, exposure to light can also degrade psilocybin and cause your mushrooms to lose their potency over time.

Not Drying Mushrooms Properly: If you choose to dry your mushrooms, it’s crucial to ensure they’re completely dry before storing. Any remaining moisture can lead to mold growth. When drying mushrooms, make sure they are cracker-dry, meaning they snap easily when bent. If they still bend without snapping, they need more time to dry.

By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure your magic mushrooms stay potent and fresh for as long as possible.

Conclusion

Proper storage of magic mushrooms is crucial for maintaining their potency and ensuring they remain safe to consume. Whether you’re storing fresh or dried mushrooms, following the guidelines in this article will help you avoid common mistakes and keep your mushrooms fresh for as long as possible. Remember, the key to a great magic mushroom experience starts with proper storage. Additionally, it’s worth noting that magic mushrooms can be consumed in various ways, from eating them raw, brewing them into a tea, or incorporating them into food recipes. Each method offers a unique experience, but no matter how you choose to consume them, proper storage is the first step to a safe and enjoyable journey.

Hope this helps.
Tok..

I'm curious, because I like to use an electric dehydrator (Nesco brand here), what the breakdown temperature of psylocibin is. In other words, what temperature is too high?

Dried magic mushrooms are less likely to spoil than fresh ones and can be stored for longer periods. Here’s how to store them:

Use Airtight Containers: Store your dried magic mushrooms in airtight containers to protect them from moisture and air. Glass jars with airtight seals are a good option. These containers prevent air from entering and moisture from accumulating, which can lead to mold growth. Mason jars or vacuum-sealed bags are excellent choices for this purpose.

Store in a Cool, Dark Place: Psilocybin, the psychoactive compound in magic mushrooms, is sensitive to light and heat. Therefore, it’s crucial to store your containers in a cool, dark place to preserve the potency of the mushrooms. A cupboard or a drawer away from direct sunlight and heat sources would be ideal. This will help maintain the quality of the mushrooms over time.

Consider Using Desiccants: To keep your mushrooms as dry as possible, consider using a desiccant, a substance that absorbs moisture, in the container. Desiccants are particularly useful if you live in a humid environment where moisture is likely to seep into your storage containers. Some examples of desiccants include silica gel packets or oxygen absorbers. Place the desiccant at the bottom of the container and then place your mushrooms on top, or place the desiccant in a separate bag within the container to prevent direct contact with the mushrooms. Remember to replace the desiccant periodically as it absorbs moisture over time.

Check Regularly: Even though dried mushrooms are less likely to spoil, it’s still a good idea to check them regularly for any signs of mold or other spoilage. If you notice any changes in color, smell, or texture, it might be a sign that your mushrooms are no longer good to consume. Regular checks will help you identify any issues early and prevent the consumption of spoiled mushrooms.

When storing magic mushrooms, there are a few common mistakes that can lead to a loss of potency or spoilage. Here are some to avoid:

Storing Fresh Mushrooms in Plastic: Plastic bags or containers can trap moisture, leading to a higher risk of mold. Always use paper bags or airtight containers for storage. Plastic doesn’t breathe, which can create a humid environment inside the bag or container. This humidity can accelerate the growth of mold and bacteria, leading to quicker spoilage.

Exposing Mushrooms to Heat or Light: As mentioned earlier, psilocybin is sensitive to heat and light. Always store your mushrooms in a cool, dark place. Exposure to heat can speed up the degradation of psilocybin, reducing the potency of your mushrooms. Similarly, exposure to light can also degrade psilocybin and cause your mushrooms to lose their potency over time.

Not Drying Mushrooms Properly: If you choose to dry your mushrooms, it’s crucial to ensure they’re completely dry before storing. Any remaining moisture can lead to mold growth. When drying mushrooms, make sure they are cracker-dry, meaning they snap easily when bent. If they still bend without snapping, they need more time to dry.

By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure your magic mushrooms stay potent and fresh for as long as possible.

Conclusion

Proper storage of magic mushrooms is crucial for maintaining their potency and ensuring they remain safe to consume. Whether you’re storing fresh or dried mushrooms, following the guidelines in this article will help you avoid common mistakes and keep your mushrooms fresh for as long as possible. Remember, the key to a great magic mushroom experience starts with proper storage. Additionally, it’s worth noting that magic mushrooms can be consumed in various ways, from eating them raw, brewing them into a tea, or incorporating them into food recipes. Each method offers a unique experience, but no matter how you choose to consume them, proper storage is the first step to a safe and enjoyable journey.

Hope this helps.
Tok..
WHAT ABOUT SMOKING THEM ?

First time I ever hear anybody talk about smoking mushrooms, in my adult life anyway. When I was a teenager other teenagers used to talk about it but I never tried it because I've heard a lot of bad experiences too

Conclusion

Hope this helps.
Tok..
I had no idea that keeping them in plastic bags was bad. Thanks because now I’m keeping them in mason jars 🫙 in a drawer. CL🍀

did it a few times and WOW !!!!!! mixed them with pot - a few hits you are on your trip !!!
I guess I may just have to try it. Would you recommend a pipe or bong? Or maybe mix in with a joint? Maybe smoke the mushies by themselves? How's it taste? My long-ago memories tell me I heard it was terrible.

I guess I may just have to try it. Would you recommend a pipe or bong? Or maybe mix in with a joint? Maybe smoke the mushies by themselves? How's it taste? My long-ago memories tell me I heard it was terrible.
joints work well (if you do it be ready for a fast "a waking" also one can increase there affects by letting them set in lemon juice for 1/2hr (for get what this is called)(it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Soaking in lemon juice would rehyrdrate them, not sure they'd burn well after that.

I'm curious, because I like to use an electric dehydrator (Nesco brand here), what the breakdown temperature of psylocibin is. In other words, what temperature is too high?

At what temperatures do psilocybin and psilocin degrade?

Do high temperatures, such as boiling water, truly degrade psilocybin/psilocin? If so, at what temperature does degradation occur?

Psilocybin and psilocin are sensitive to oxidation, with psilocin being particularly sensitive. This process is accelerated at higher temperatures. There is no specific temperature at which this breakdown occurs, however, the longer you expose the psiloc(yb)in to a raised temperature (in the presence of oxygen or an oxidizer), the more will be degraded.
To my knowledge, there has been no study or report of anyone quantifying the amount of degradation at various temperatures. Qualitative reports however seem to indicate that less than an hour of boiling or steeping seems to have little to no effect on the potency of psiloc(yb)in water solution.

Think Twice Before Smoking Magic Mushrooms

Sure, you can smoke shrooms, but whether or not you get the psychedelic affects you would from eating them is another story.

Dried shrooms can be crushed into a powder and smoked by rolling them up on their own or by mixing them with tobacco or cannabis. Some people also put purified psilocybin crystals into pipes. But neither of these options are a great idea.

What happens?

It’s hard to say for sure what happens when you smoke shrooms. There’s not really any research on the subject, so the only reports out there are from people who’ve blazed up and shared their experience on forums like Reddit.

A handful of shroom smokers say it produces a mild high, but nothing close to a trip like you’d get from popping a handful of caps or drinking a tea preparation.

Most others, however, report it being a total waste of time with no effects at all, apart from some nausea.

The absence of any psychological effects could come down to temperature. Psilocybin breaks down at high temperatures, so lighting up shrooms basically kills the main ingredient responsible for the trippy effects.

Is it dangerous?

There are several risks to consider when it comes to smoking shrooms. Then, there are the general risks associated with taking shrooms.

General smoking risks

For one, any type of smoke is bad for your health. All smoke contains harmful toxins and particulates that can damage lung tissue and blood vessels, and increase the risk for lung cancer.

If you smoke shrooms mixed with tobacco, you tack on all the risks associated with that, too.

Mold spores

Smoking shrooms also carries extra risk for your lungs by way of mold spores. Inhaling certain types of molds increases your risk of lung inflammation and infections.

If you have a mold allergy, preexisting lung condition, or a weakened immune system, inhaling certain mold species can have serious health consequences.

Bad trips

If you do happen to experience any of the psychoactive effects of psilocybin after smoking, keep in mind that bad trips are a possibility when you do shrooms.

A bad trip can include disturbing or downright frightening hallucinations, panic, and trouble distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

Physical side effects

Shrooms can cause some unpleasant physical effects, too, including:
increased heart rate and blood pressure
nausea and vomiting
increased body temperature
abdominal cramps and diarrhea
muscle weakness
uncoordinated movement
Psychological side effects

When taken in higher doses, shrooms and other hallucinogens alter your perception of reality, which may lead you to do things you wouldn’t normally do.

While you’re unlikely to have much of a trip from smoking shrooms, it’s still a possibility to be prepared for.

Personally I have other ways to enjoy mushrooms for the full affect. Tok..

In regards to the temp I want to say its around 100f or 120f when it starts to degrade. You can use a nestco dryer but you need to open it up and disconnect the heating element and the trays are shorter than versions you can but specifically for mushrooms. Our sponsor Midwest grow kits has them and they work well and they are cheaper than a nestco.

I seal my full batch in a bag with desiccant color indicator moisture absorbers and pull out what I want when I need it. You can vacuum seal any amount that you like .

Back
Top Bottom