How To UN-feminize Seeds: Reverse It

Fastarkid

420 Member
Do you know of a way to convert feminized seeds into regular seeds?
in other words, is there a way to reverse the process of feminizing seeds?

thank you,
Dan

I found the below method... but have you ever heard of this method to solve the problem of trying to pollenate a plant that is female when you have no possible way to get a male of the same genetics
I watched a guy on YouTube do this.
1. Cut a clone of the female that you want to turn male for breeding. Do this in enough time before flower so that you will be able to plant and ensure the health of your clone. So 3 weeks.
Alternatively you can live dangerously and keep the branch on the main flowering plant.
2. Once the clone is established and one week before flowering, begin spraying the bud site directly with a 10-30 ppm colloidal silver solution. Continue for one week into flower. Spray twice per day.
The bud site will start to look bad. Don't worry, it will recover.
3. Keep this plant well separate from your females. A few days after you stop spraying you will begin to see well formed pollen sacs. In another week or two you will begin to see a bit of pollen.
4. Before the pollen gets ripe, place something around the base of the plant that can be easily removed to catch the pollen.
5. When completely ripe, tap the plant to dislodge pollen onto collection area. Transfer the pollen into a storage container. Pollen has a short viable period, but you can store for a few days in the fridge. Pollen should be a lovely yellow gold.
6. Bring the plant you wish to pollenate to a separate area from other flowering plants. Make sure that you have minimal air movement. Use a small art paint brush and paint the flowers you wish pollenated.

I found the below method... but have you ever heard of this method to solve the problem of trying to pollenate a plant that is female when you have no possible way to get a male of the same genetics

Interesting method. Just out of curiously, will you be attempting this reversal? If so, please keep a journal of the process and perhaps you could share it with us.
Thanks and be safe.

That method will just give you Feminized seeds, as that is how they make them. But there is no male genetics there to begin with, so you can't just do a process to have male genes show up out of thin air as none there to begin with.

That method will just give you Feminized seeds, as that is how they make them. But there is no male genetics there to begin with, so you can't just do a process to have male genes show up out of thin air as none there to begin with.
However, what about the female plants that will start to produce male flowers later in the flowering stage, usually after about 6 weeks. I am thinking of the single and double male flowers that start to show up near the bottom of the plant. Then there are the female plants, including feminized and not just from regular seeds, that have the occasional male flower develop in the large buds at the top of the plant. There has to be male genetics somewhere in the plant.

If so, please keep a journal of the process and perhaps you could share it with us.
Or even if you do not keep a journal post an update in this thread when you start and then every now and then to tell us how it is going. Not that I want to try it, just interested to see if it can be done.

I believe there are male genetics (in some of the feminized seeds) for sure and if I'm right, then male genes would not be showing up out of thin air. Rather, the male genes would be less inhibited.

Think about it. If you have a thousand regular seeds (not feminized, just regular), some of them are predisposed to mature as males and the rest of them are predisposed to mature as females. So when you spray the seeds with colloidal silver (or other sprays), the natural hormone (Ethylene) that regulates flowering is inhibited. That doesn't destroy the genetic material that would have produced male flowers...it only changes the hormonal levels (i.e. hormone composition) required to produce male flowers...and it dramatically shifts the scales in favor of female flowers.

I was thinking that someone might be able to devise a way to re-encourage Ethylene (or perhaps some other hormone) rather than inhibit it.
Dr Botanist, please chime in and help me in my struggle to be more than the uneducated layman that I am. ;-)

Do you know of a way to convert feminized seeds into regular seeds?
in other words, is there a way to reverse the process of feminizing seeds?

thank you,
Dan
I dont believe you can "un feminize something" but you can do this...

Take a clone of the feminized plant.
Cross the feminized plant with a similar male (one of similar genetic makeup) and make seeds. These will be regular seeds.
Take the seeds you made, plant them and get a male which looks similar to the original feminized plant.
Take the "cloned feminized plant" and take another clone.
breed the new male from the seeds with the original cloned feminized plant.
Plant the new generation of seeds and look for a male that looks similar to the original feminized strain.
Cross this 2nd generation male with the original female and make 3rd generation seeds.

Although not exactly the same as the original, doing this same process for about 3 or 4 generations you will be about 80% or so of the original feminized plant.....but they will then be "regular" seeds.

Also you can try to just reverse the original feminized female by using Colloidal silver or STS which will force the feminized female to create pollen sacks. This doesn't always work and I found it to be more trouble than its worth, but sometimes you can reverse it to produce pollen, which will make more feminized seeds if you cross it with a clone of itself. This will not "reverse" feminized, but it will produce more feminized seeds for you.

Back
Top Bottom