Hydro1000 - 2016 - Perlite/Hempy Bucket - Multi-Strain - Perpetual Grow

Well I didn't do anything yesterday, it was a lazy day at home. I peaked in on the girls last night and they all seemed happy.
I'm sure I battling with the same deficiency on these girls which I believe is potassium, the new growth looks a nice light green but only takes a week or so for the symptoms to start showing and the edges start to yellow. The one thing that follows the yellowing, which looks like excessive nitrogen in the leaves (a really dark green throughout), this is the late stage of potassium deficientcy from what the chart tells me.
This could be just a ph issue possibly, the ph was 5.8 when I watered, and my run off was about the same. Maybe I should ph at 6.0 and see if this helps?

Here a few pics of this morning, lots of new growth showing since we last watered. I have been bending the tops on all the Tracey's outward to open up the middle of the plants. All Tracey's have been topped. I'm trying to keep everything at the same height, then after the flip and stretch I can raise or lower plants accordingly to keep canopy even.

image8933.jpeg
image8934.jpeg
image8935.jpeg
image8936.jpeg
image8937.jpeg
image8938.jpeg
image8939.jpeg
image8940.jpeg
image8941.jpeg
image8942.jpeg
image8943.jpeg

I've been reading up on the organic teas, I've seen excellent results from a lot of people on here and would eventually like my garden to be totally that way. The results you all get from the organic teas is outstanding. Back to reading up on this.......

Since I am dealing with this def. I went and found some info on The Functions of potassium in cannabis plants.
I did not write this just thought I'd share the info collected.

Early stage of potassium deficiency
image8951.jpeg

Potassium is one of the most important nutrients for marijuana plants, and although it doesn't have much presence in the plant tissues it performs important catalyzer functions in many metabolic processes as those we list below:

It takes part in the photosynthesis process improving the synthesis carbohydrates.
It participates in the synthesis of proteins and amino acids, which come from nitrogen in the form of ammonium, so the interaction between these two nutrients is vital to perform different metabolic processes of plants.
It improves the resistance of plants during drought periods.
It increases the consistency and strength of the plant tissues.
Together with Phosphorus, it improves the strength and resistance of the root system.
The resistance against frost is also increased by acting in the sap of the plant.
It increases the weight, density and volume of the buds.

Intermediate stage of potassium deficiency
image8952.jpeg

If there is a potassium deficiency, plants will have visible symptoms that will help us to detect it. Potassium is a mobile element so it moves from older to younger leaves when needed, since the top part of the plant has always more metabolic activity. We should make sure that our plants have enough Potassium during their life, since any lack of this nutrientwill be translated into lower yields.

In the case of having potassium deficiencies, you should add more fertiliser (rich in this element) either from organic or mineral origin. Organic fertilisers are more slowly processed than mineral nutrients, which will correct this deficiency in no time and will allow you to harvest decent buds. If the deficiency is at an early stage you can simply increase the dose of your organic or mineral nutrient, what will probably solve the problem.

Advanced stage of Potassium deficiency
image8953.jpeg

Visible symptoms in cannabis plants:

The leaves turn yellow from the tips towards the centre, ending at the base of the leaf.
Plants are weak and have little resistance to diseases.
Stems are also weak and bend easily.
The final yield of buds is seriously reduced.
An excess of calcium can lessen the capacity of the plant to absorb potassium, leading it to a deficiency of this element.
Potassium excess

Symptoms of potassium excess:

Blocks the absorption of other elements such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron.
Given this situation, you should flush the roots with at least triple the amount of water than the capacity of the pot; you can also add any component that helps to flush the salts away and leach the substrate. Then, you should water with a light, complete and balanced nutrient solution.

Potassium deficiency
image8954.jpeg

The plant in the picture #1 presented a potassium deficiency that has been treated on time, without losing much bud yield and quality.

This marijuana plant was grown in an inert medium — coco-coir — and suffered a deficiency during the flowering stage, when potassium is more needed, during the 6th and 7th weeks (This plant had a flowering period of 8-9 weeks)

In the picture #2 we can see how the plant has suffered a more serious potassium deficiency.
image8955.jpeg

At medium height of the plant we can see how the tips of the larger leaves are burned. Moreover, you can see with ease a discoloration of the leaves to a more yellow colour.

Potassium deficiency
image8956.jpeg

At the top of the plant we can easily detect that the plant has been negatively affected by this deficiency. The buds couldn't develop completely and have remained in a quite decayed condition..

The buds of this plant won't have superior smell or flavor since potassium is essential in terpene production.

At this stage, if you didn't provide the necessary nutrients the yield will be seriously decreased. The buds won't be compact and the resin production will be decreased. The buds won't be compact and the resin production will be minimal.

These deficiencies are usually more evident and frequent in Indica strains, which are often grown without much knowledge since their flowering stage is much faster than Sativas, and the maximum demand for potassium is centralized in no more than 1-2 weeks, depending on the strain.

Since Sativa plants take much longer to flower, their nutritional needs are more progressive than in the case of Indica genetics. Still, it should be noted that Sativa strains are more susceptible to be over-fertilised than Indicas, so you should pay close attention to their needs to have a crop free of deficiencies and excesses.

In this way, choosing a balanced hybrid strain will help to control any excess or deficiency of potassium and other minerals like nitrogen or phosphorus.

lets start out with what I had going on yesterday, well let's say I was shocked to see my poor babies at the beginning stages of being locked out when I took these pictures around 7pm last night, I thought I could be the light heat throwing a little to much heat so I raised it a few inches to 24", I check moisture by sticking finger in pail about 6" downand perlite was bone dry.

That right more :morenutes: lol, I added 1/2 strength micro, B1 and grow then full bloom nutes and ph'd. I gave all just a couple cups, nothing to extreme and thought I was good to go. 4 hours later Just before lights out, I thought let's take another quick look see. Glad I did cause things were ugly in there and everything in lockout, big fan leaves hanging like your arms by your side, what a horrible scene to walk into.

These pics are at 7:15 last night and they look great here, notice the curling of the leaves and the ones hanging limp
image9018.jpeg
image9017.jpeg
image9016.jpeg
image9015.jpeg

I started off with 36 gallons of ph 5.8 water and began to flush, I flushed every plant in the room it took an hour or so. By the time I finished flushing the last plant, I the first one was starting to straighten out. What a great sight!!
I waited until around 9 this morning to go check and what a difference, almost happy plants again. I added full nutes with a few tweaks to the formula a little more bloom (it calls for 5 ml per gallon, I gave 10ml/gal hoping this will help with the potassium def. And a little less grow calls for 16ml/gal it got 12ml/gal.

These are before I gave nutes this morning they are like new plants after the flush! You can see the potassium def. which really came to show with the lockout. The potassium def. I'm working on rectifying, the leaves will green up a bit but will never repair themselves. I need to get to the city one of these days to pick up some boosters but in the mean time we will try to keep them as healthy as we can with what I have here.
image9026.jpeg
image9025.jpeg
image9024.jpeg
image9023.jpeg
image9022.jpeg

More pics soon to come this afternoon, we will see how the plants liked the flush and new nutes.

I'm really thinking of switching things up a bit and trying some of these organic teas that are posted and see if I can prevent this in the future.

Good job on taking action quickly. It's amazing how fast they can change their level of contentness from hour to hour. Looks like they're bouncing back ok, nicely done.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Thanks Snidrajsed! Not sure what happened but definitely locked out. By 11:45 last night, which was about 3 hours after I gave each a wee drink. I'm sure my jaw hit the floor when I walked in that room. I didn't even think of getting the camera just straight to the water barrel ph'd it and start flushing. They would have been pretty close to dead by morning, I'm sure of that.
I started a clean slate today and they are really coming back quick.

Still a bunch of Leaves trying to uncurl themselves.
image9027.jpeg

One of the advantages of the Perlite Hempy that I appreciate is the ability to flush the media and correct the root zone without having an extended soggy mess to contend with afterwards.

Nice job working through the issue. It's unsettling to experience when you have this much time and care invested but you're handling it great.

/Obi

One of the advantages of the Perlite Hempy that I appreciate is the ability to flush the media and correct the root zone without having an extended soggy mess to contend with afterwards.

Nice job working through the issue. It's unsettling to experience when you have this much time and care invested but you're handling it great.

/Obi

Thanks Obi! I'm still working this issue but most have rebounded back.

Yes it is a good thing that the flush works that quick, it feels pretty good knowing you can fix a problem and then straight back to normal in that short of a time frame.

With Tracey#2 the downward leaf curl isn't going away yet, even on the newer growth The others started to stand up about an hour after I flushed, so if she doesn't respond soon I will flush her again and leave her till morning.

Her she is, this is earlier but she hasn't changed much the large leaves showing potassium def. are about a couple inches higher but all the new growth looks the same (leaf curl downward).
image9020.jpeg

Good morning all! I think I have all the girls happy again. Tracey#2 is still recuperating from here second flush last night and she did get full nutes as well, she still has a lot of droop but that should ease up throughout today. As for the others, lots of new growth and they are reaching for the light. I dropped my lighting output to 750watts at set height at 26" the girls seem to be enjoying this, temps are at 77*F lights on 70*F lights out.

image9050.jpeg

I changed up a few things for the simple fact I want to flip these 6 (pic above) very soon and want to keep the clones in veg for a couple more weeks.
I moved all the clones into a cupboard last night I will get dimensions on that later today. There is 300 watts of cfl along with 2-24" 20 watt t8 hung above which will be replaced with 56watt tubes later on I'm thinking (more lights to come as I may keep some mothers in there as well. I installed a larger computer fan 4" pulling air through a 4" hole at bottom of box, and 2 - 3" holes on opposite side top for heat to escape out. Temps in box are at 81*F and humidity is 45% (this is not a sealed box).

image9051.jpeg
image9052.jpeg
image9053.jpeg

You can see Tracey#4 has had a bit of a hard time recovering but she slowly is.

I will check on the 6 under the 750w about mid day And see if they need a drink. I think this was my problem not feeding often enough and ended up causing the potassium deficiency. I will give less more often and see if this helps.

Today things are all good, girls looking better since our little nute lockout the other day.

I have mixed up 3 gallons of nutes and ph,d at 5.8, this mix should last a couple days. I'm giving 2 solo cups now every morning to top up the res in each pail, they seem hungry by the next morning yet there is some weight to them. This watering this morning sure perked up the plants.

Just a couple pics
image9134.jpeg
image9133.jpeg

Today plants looking pretty good lots of new growth. They are taking nicely to the daily waterings.
image9169.jpeg

Today I started with the 2 CKS White Widow clones and decided to pot them up to 1 gallon milk jugs.
The roots are looking excellent for 15 days and are really going to like the larger pots I think.
image9170.jpeg
image9172.jpeg
image9171.jpeg
image9173.jpeg
image9174.jpeg

I also took two cuttings from Tracey#2 and 2 more cuttings from the CKS White Widow. I dipped the bottom inch of stems in root stimulant then straight into perlite. I Followed directions for the rooting nutes. These will stay here for the next 14 days or so before being potted up.
image9175.jpeg
image9176.jpeg
image9177.jpeg

Hope everyone enjoys this wonderful weekend!! :peace:

Good morning all. just a quick update....... not much happening, girls are really looking good at the moment.

I had a buddy come over yesterday and we were talking about when I should flip to 12/12 and when he was starting his seeds, the regular back and forth growing talk. I was filling the pipe, buddy out of the blue say lets flip a coin to see when to flip to 12/12. So we did and Mine was heads, to wait another week or 2 and let the girls fill out a bit more. He picked tails to flip right at that moment and get this flowering stage started.
You guessed it, the lights went out shortly after 6pm and the 12 hour days starts. I will start the count from next Friday, that puts the White Widow to be ready around May 20/16.

Here's a pic of the girls this morning
image9205.jpeg

So I flipped to 12/12 2 days ago on Saturday, I'm still waiting for the Blueberry and the bag seed to show sex so those will be pulled if they show male.

I'm feeding 2 solo cups with full nutrients to each of the WW, TRACEY#1,2,3, BLUEBERRY and the BAGSEED twice daily, they start to wilt after about 5 hours and as soon as they get a drink the reach for the sky. The others get about a solo cup 2 times daily as well.

The plants have responded well to the addition of 1 Tablespoon Epson salts and 4ml blackstrap molasses to the nutrient mix per gallon.

Light height is at 28" and 1000watt mh will be used for another week before the switch to the 1000watt hps.

Temperatures are hovering around 80-82 degrees F. During the day and 70-72 degrees at night, RH is climbing and is at 45-50%

I have been doing lots of bending and tucking, I have tied down loots of branches to allow light to penetrate the middle lower leaves.

Here's the Tracey#2 and the shorter one Tracey#1
image9361.jpeg
image9362.jpeg
image9363.jpeg
image9365.jpeg

CKS White Widow
image9366.jpeg
image9367.jpeg

BC Blueberry unsexed
image9369.jpeg

Bag seed unsexed
image9370.jpeg

2 Blueberry and 2 CKS White Widow
image9373.jpeg

2 Bc Blueberry clones I'm keeping for mothers
image9372.jpeg

BC blueberry clone in flower
image9371.jpeg

Getting bushy in there!

Ya they are starting to fill out nicely! All four Tracey's are topped and I have them bent almost to a T. So now all growth will be pretty much vertical on them.
The WW has shoots coming from everywhere, I have her tied down in about 8 spots. And to fill out the middle of the blueberry I tied her down as well. The growth has been excellent the last couple days.

Good morning all, everything looked pretty good this morning when I walked in 2 hours after lights on.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/image9383.jpeg[

Tracey#1, I have opened up the middle with removal of 6 leaves. The stretch is starting to happen so a little more light deep down should help get these new shoots moving.
[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/image9378.jpeg

Tracey#4, she's lagging behind so hoping she takes off soon.
image9384.jpeg

unsexed Bagseed. Thisl plant has stretched out nicely up to this point, all shoots coming from the bottom are almost as long as the plant is tall.
image9381.jpeg

The White Widow she should fill out a good corner of this room
image9380.jpeg

Unsexed blueberry
image9379.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom