Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Hey buddy...how are those outside Auto's doing?

Thanks for asking!

They are cute little things, blooming along.

20170523_0953261.jpg

I harvested a cola from the one that started budding when it was about two inches tall...a great, firm whopper of a bud that smells great and I'm sure will be a gem to smoke!

20170523_115501.jpg
20170523_115522.jpg

But autos are so small!! I'm just not used to small plants I guess...yes it's faster but we'll see if it's more or better...don't think so. Just cute little plants! Cannabis bonsai trees!

Meanwhile, in the secret lab...

20170523_094552.jpg

Shit's exploding as usual. Still misting three branches in the bagged tree. Almost out of mist...ordered more and should have it soon. Don't pay the higher price for the Tireseas Mist brand...twice as good a deal for the same mineral spray online if you look.

20170523_094616.jpg

The GROWSTAR is leading the way!

20170523_094639.jpg

First hairs appearing. Time to bud!!

I'm going out of town with the wifey for four days. Most people would worry about their plants if they were gone so long but not me. My stuff is all automatic...temperature control, ventilation, watering, it's all a machine. It's fantastic to be able to let things go for up to a week without intervention. This is the future of cannabis growing...automatic. Those who model my system can have the same freedom.

So, the next update will be in about a week. I am looking for male flowers to start appearing on my chosen plant. Maybe by the time I return!

Hope you all have great weekend and remember the men who gave their lives so we could be free. I sure will.

Peace, Hyena

Happy Thursday! Update time.

I was gone for 4 days but my little gals didn't miss a beat...here's how they look.

20170530_083703.jpg

Yeah, the shit has totally exploded. I broke a bunch of main branches over before I left and now this. These Hyenas are tall and very aggressive growers! All three varieties are like wild animals and yes I love the reference. :icon_roll

Still no male flowers appearing on my chosen plant in the plastic bag...my online research tells me it might take another 2-3 weeks. However, that same plant has lots of female flowers appearing. I have sprayed it every day (except for the four I was gone) and will keep applying the magic spray hoping for the magic pollen sacs.

Everywhere else, these girls are starting to flower big time. Lots of action top to bottom. Even if the seed thing doesn't work out I am going to have a serious room full of buds.

The GROWSTAR GS1000 LED light is still kicking it. I am impressed beyond words. I will do a detailed update tomorrow on that.

Meanwhile, roll one up and get ready for the freak show as these Hyena girls start to put on their act.

Peace, Hyena

Looking great Hyena! Hey question if u have time to answer. M running a hybrid that a 420 member has bred. Two females blooming but to my dismay had 500 watts of actual draw in a small tent and got too hot for one of the girls. She started throwing bananas I picked them off took a light out and no more bananas but i believe she pollinated herself and very great chance pollinated her close nieghbor. My question is the seeds u are running if i read correctly are also hermie seeds. See you have any hermie issues with any if the seeds you have grown so far? I believe it wasnt a hermie trait that caused the bananas I believe it was enviromental stress that i caused my girls. Do you think i will be ok running the seeds from my girls or at least the one thar isnt self pollinated? Thanks and hope to hear back soon. Your girls are killing it like always. Looking forward to the full update!! Loving the Growstar!!

Drive by. Hey not all autos are built the same. This one is just starting to flower. They take longer in veg then all the others I've seen.
Flash's super autos;
16870.jpg

Nice garden... Keepem Green

Looking great Hyena! Hey question if u have time to answer. M running a hybrid that a 420 member has bred. Two females blooming but to my dismay had 500 watts of actual draw in a small tent and got too hot for one of the girls. She started throwing bananas I picked them off took a light out and no more bananas but i believe she pollinated herself and very great chance pollinated her close nieghbor. My question is the seeds u are running if i read correctly are also hermie seeds. See you have any hermie issues with any if the seeds you have grown so far? I believe it wasnt a hermie trait that caused the bananas I believe it was enviromental stress that i caused my girls. Do you think i will be ok running the seeds from my girls or at least the one thar isnt self pollinated? Thanks and hope to hear back soon. Your girls are killing it like always. Looking forward to the full update!! Loving the Growstar!!

Well, my seeds are the result of a banana on a Blue Dream but the ones I use came from several other Blue Dreams (plus two other plants) that were cross-pollinated by that banana. I separated the self-pollinated seeds. That's why the hermie thing isn't likely to be in play with these seeds, according to my knowledge of the subject which is only so deep.

I am learning by doing to an extent but I feel pretty solid in my assessment of the genetic probabilities. Genetics are all about probabilities. Having grown a dozen plants of the strain I am now trying to duplicate, I've had the chance to see enough individuals to be reasonably confident no unknown phenos will appear but there is still the mathematical chance something I haven't seen is in there...it's nature and she deals the cards, often in unexpected ways. Other seed lines also contain several phenos but all within acceptable production parameters so even if the plants vary a little they all produce a quality return that is worth the grower's effort.

We're a long way from seeing any male flowers and possibly obtaining enough pollen to even try to create seeds. Plus, there's no guarantee the pollen will mature before it's too late to pollinate the other plants and grow fully mature seeds. This might have to be a two-grow thing, or even three.

In the end we will see if all this will work out or if I'll just end up with a bunch of buds. Either one I can live with. Stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

Drive by. Hey not all autos are built the same. This one is just starting to flower. They take longer in veg then all the others I've seen.
Flash's super autos;
16870.jpg

Nice garden... Keepem Green

Dude that's insane. So, the only real difference is this will flower without flipping to 12/12? I never heard of an auto that was as big as a normal strain, nor one that vegged that long. Did you do anything special to it to make it veg longer?

Peace, Hyena

Nope, these strains are made to veg alittle longer, hence bigger plants. Called Super autos But they do flip without the 12/12. They go for 120+ days. Which is great for people like me with rains that hit OCT 1st and then the fun begins,, bud rott. Keepem Green

Thanks Hyena for the response. I will see what happens you are correct this is nature that we deal with. Depending on how many seeds i get hopefully not too many i will grow a group out clone then bloom and watch and see how the phenos grow. Since i did correct the problem i do think i know exactly what will cause the bananas but guess i will see. Love how your hybrids are doing look to b great strains.

:passitleft:

Hey H.M.

Those ladies look much taller than your 2 previous grows. Must've been the stretch is greater. Can you raise the lights, or are they maxxed out? Canopy is looking great! Gook luck on your pollen quest and seed quest. Looks like a great lesson on Plan B; how to scramble, and get what you get. Always hope the best for you, man.

Some growers asked questions for me, what distance between led grow light with the marijuana? will the light burn the plant if the light is too closed ? you know it is not legal to grow cannabis in China. I can not give the professional answer for them. From the pictures, i can see that the plant can be closed to the light, right ? the cannabis need high intensity light, so far, the Growstar 1000w can meet the requirements. I appreciate that you give some idea on that .
Thanks.
Sean

Hey pino0911,
Glad to see you, you told me that you need the GS1000 for personal use, can you buy the lights on our shop, you can search "growstar" on Amazon, you will find the light. we can give the some discount for you if you can write the review after you use the lights. please let me know.
Thanks.
Sean

Some growers asked questions for me, what distance between led grow light with the marijuana? will the light burn the plant if the light is too closed ? you know it is not legal to grow cannabis in China. I can not give the professional answer for them. From the pictures, i can see that the plant can be closed to the light, right ? the cannabis need high intensity light, so far, the Growstar 1000w can meet the requirements. I appreciate that you give some idea on that .
Thanks.
Sean

Hello Sean:

Great questions! Let me give some general guidelines for lighting cannabis plants.

First, the cannabis plant is very strong, and can tolerate a very wide range of conditions. However, there are limits for light and especially heat even for the strongest plants. If these limits are exceeded for too long the result will be a reduction in growth rate, production, and even potency.

It is difficult to give cannabis "too much" LIGHT. HEAT is the main issue that determines everything, including how close the light can be to the plant tops.

The heat felt by the plants can be reduced by creating gentle but continuous air movement between the plants and the light, using an oscillating fan on medium speed (not too strong) with the air stream directed just ABOVE the tops of the plants. This allows the light to be closer, and also provides other health benefits for the plants.

The best way to judge the heat is to use your hand. Place your hand at the level of the plant tops; if it feels too hot for your hand it is too hot for your plants.

The GROWSTAR GS1000 LED light emits MUCH LESS HEAT than an equivalent HID fixture. It can be within 12 inches of the plant tops with sufficient air movement. 12 inches is the closest the light should be to the plants or the tops can burn, and light dispersal will also be reduced.

I highly recommend the GROWSTAR GS1000 LED!

20170523_094616.jpg

Peace, Hyena

Hey H.M.

Those ladies look much taller than your 2 previous grows. Must've been the stretch is greater. Can you raise the lights, or are they maxxed out? Canopy is looking great! Gook luck on your pollen quest and seed quest. Looks like a great lesson on Plan B; how to scramble, and get what you get. Always hope the best for you, man.

Actually it's because I did no scrogging this time. I topped them all after 6 or 7 nodes so they are trees. These are all pretty much natural, except they are so damn fast I have resorted to just snapping the tallest branches over as they hit the now maxed-out lights, I have to or the shit will go through the roof. :helpsmilie:

Excited to see your Hyenas now that they are outside!

Peace, Hyena

Now for the GROWSTAR GS1000 LED light test update!

The GROWSTAR GS1000 is absolutely a star! It is performing beyond all expectations.

The heat emitted is still very reasonable and the light is clearly delivering exceptional quality and quantity of light. The plants have begun to flower and they are still growing very fast and very vigorously.

20170602_092628.jpg

The flower clusters are appearing at all levels in the canopy and look very healthy. This shows the penetration of the GROWSTAR is sufficient to develop and support a full canopy (two vertical feet or more of healthy production).

The quality of the flowering lights in the GROWSTAR is obviously correct to produce good initial flower development. I have left the GROWSTAR on full power (both GROW and BLOOM are on) because it doesn't hinder flower development and the extra lumens are beneficial. However, the healthy and vigorous early flowering would not be occurring at a level equivalent to a 600W High Pressure Sodium bulb if the correct bloom spectrum was not present.

Under the GROWSTAR GS1000 LED I have observed overall development equal to the adjacent 600W HID fixture. The power draw of the GROWSTAR GS1000 is only 400 watts. This means it uses 1/3 less electricity and delivers the same or better results.

Through three phases of this test the GROWSTAR GS1000 LED light is a champ!

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom