Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Pots!

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

I've never heard of it, but appreciate the suggestion. I don't think I will be doing too many business trips this next few months as I am on my way out with this company. They cut my commissions so severely that I can't afford to work there anymore so after this trip upcomming this weekend, it most likely will be my last.
the blumat system looks awsome I think it is greengenes garden on YouTube he uses it and it seems to do very well it takes the guessing out of when to water if you whole room is on the same rotation it will work great but for perpetual garden it would mess up the feeding schedule for the plants that need to be flushing and the ones that still need food. Unless you just top dress then you would only need to give water. On another note looking for a new job sucks I am on looking right now I am in the medical field and where I am at doesn't accept marijuana as a prescription drug so I had to stop taking the one med that works for me and go back to taking addictive pills and steroids that do major damage but any who check out the blumat system if I started everything at the same time and everything was gonna finish at the same time I would have it. I really like the lights you are using I have been thinking of getting one of the veg lights but I need to fine tune what I have first maybe I can get one for Christmas

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Hey everyone....

I am leaving for another business trip so I will update when I get back....Not much has changed since the first set of photos. The plants are still in shock from transplanting, cutting the roots, switching from all blue spectrum to full spectrum and new soil so they are still in their period of shock and haven't grown much. I do notice that the leaves are starting to get good posture again, so thats a good sign, but I know when I get back in a week, there will be a much more noticable difference. Really happy to have 10 gallon smart pots for trips...less worry about water :)

Chicago here I come!

Hey, Icemud, your new grow should be a hoot so am hoping to tag along for the show. The fewer plants/large pot approach seems to be a great strategy for yields when you have the space & height to let them express their full potential.

But they do get heavy so are you planning on moving the plants around in the tent at all or turning them occasionally? Since you have essentially 1 light per plant this may not be needed to optimize light coverage but sometimes the ladies like to bend in different directions to face the light. Kinda like Tai Chi for plants I guess.

Happy growing and good luck on the job search!

Hey, Icemud, your new grow should be a hoot so am hoping to tag along for the show. The fewer plants/large pot approach seems to be a great strategy for yields when you have the space & height to let them express their full potential.

But they do get heavy so are you planning on moving the plants around in the tent at all or turning them occasionally? Since you have essentially 1 light per plant this may not be needed to optimize light coverage but sometimes the ladies like to bend in different directions to face the light. Kinda like Tai Chi for plants I guess.

Happy growing and good luck on the job search!

I don't plan on moving the plants much unless I see them growing oddly in which then I may turn them to fill up the gaps in the tent, but I typically just use the tie downs and move the plant as needed and as they bud and get heavy I usually do some supercropping and use more tie downs to support them.

I definitely feel the larger pots will give me larger yields, but not sure by reducing the plant count how much more if any. Only time will tell. :)

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long delay...

Just got back from Chicago and got a chance to update the journal. By the way check out my last journal for some cured nug shots, link is below.

So I had a great trip in Chicago, which is my hometown so it was good to see some familiar things, eat local food and also see my folks :)

Now that I am back my ladies are looking better. During my trip I didn't flood the soil but I did make sure there was a plentyful amount of water in the soil to cover the 5 days I was gone. Man I don't miss my HPS days worrying about fires every day :) lol I turned off the red channel on the lights to keep them cooler and also so they didn't dry up while I was gone and everything went well.

When I got home I brewed up some earthjuice tea along with some synthetic dogget simpson grow and fed the girls. I also gave them a foliar feeding with some pgr and amaze along with a 1/4 dose of the tea as well.

Well things are looking good as the new growth is forming however my harlequin and black cherry cola are still recovering from their deficiencies but all the new growth looks really healthy. I am trying to keep the waterings to a low until the roots really stretch out and fill the pots so I will only be giving them 2 cups a day until I know they are well rooted in their soil.

From here on out, I will be using the blue channel on full and the red channel on 1/2 until the plants get larger in which I will then turn up the red channel.

Well not much else to report on as of now...Here are some pics...

IMG_20150521_194903.jpg
IMG_20150521_194910.jpg
IMG_20150521_194919.jpg
IMG_20150521_194934.jpg
IMG_20150521_194941.jpg
IMG_20150521_194948.jpg
IMG_20150521_195013.jpg
IMG_20150521_195020.jpg

Nice update Icemud....welcome home.

Nice update Icemud....welcome home.

Thanks RSOiler!!! Its like I went from my home, to my other home, and back home again..LOL Man I miss Chicago, but I don't miss the weather or the legal medical weed :)

Looking good Icemud I grew with hod a few years ago and all I could do was worry about burning my place down LEDs run so much cooler if it wasn't for having to feed them you could almost set and forget

Looking good Icemud I grew with hod a few years ago and all I could do was worry about burning my place down LEDs run so much cooler if it wasn't for having to feed them you could almost set and forget

Yeah when I had HID I was always worried leaving home, especially because I live in an apartment. I always envisioned coming home to ashes and having a lot to explain.... I definitely love having LED's which takes the fear out of a fire :) Not seeing that they are cooler though actually they run slightly warmer than my HID that was at 1000w.... I think it was because HID with air cooled hoods has a way to remove a majority of the heat where LED's basically push the heat into the grow area with no way of extraction. I still prefer LED buds though :) Much frostier, much denser, and taste better :)

Update looks Great Brotha :thumb:

Am a noob thinking about starting a grow wanted to know would 2 ds xte 200 and 2 4" 2 bulb t5 running 1 6500k blue and 3000k red t5 in both... will this be sufficient for a 4 x 2.5 tent.... sorry if it is a dumb question but you seem to be very experienced at what you do... and again i have little to no knowledge.. couldn't pm you so had to post on your thread dude

Am a noob thinking about starting a grow wanted to know would 2 ds xte 200 and 2 4" 2 bulb t5 running 1 6500k blue and 3000k red t5 in both... will this be sufficient for a 4 x 2.5 tent.... sorry if it is a dumb question but you seem to be very experienced at what you do... and again i have little to no knowledge.. couldn't pm you so had to post on your thread dude

I think that 2 of the XTE 200's should cover a 4x2.5 tent quite well. and with the added T5, you should have very good lighting in that space.

How many auto's could I grow start to finish using 3g smart pots and have you heard anything good about nectar of the gods nutes or have used them yourself?

Ice i have a LED question since you have tried a few.
Have you heard of the nextlight LED? If so what are your thoughts? Their 550watt is supposed to mimic a 1000watt hps down to the lights colors(wavelengths) itself.

I was thinking of doing a side by side comparison with my advanced LEDS.

How many auto's could I grow start to finish using 3g smart pots and have you heard anything good about nectar of the gods nutes or have used them yourself?

Its hard to say..... I've never grown auto's before, and don't plan on it, so can't comment on that.

As far as how many can you grow start to finish, as many as your grow room fits....

Never used nector of the gods

Ice i have a LED question since you have tried a few.
Have you heard of the nextlight LED? If so what are your thoughts? Their 550watt is supposed to mimic a 1000watt hps down to the lights colors(wavelengths) itself.

I was thinking of doing a side by side comparison with my advanced LEDS.

Well I looked at their site, to me personally I'm not impressed. They have a lot of claims but no proof of actual results. I highly doubt their 550w light will mimic a 1000w HPS.... LED's do not spread like HID lights do, none of them do because they are directional lights, therefore there is no way that the 550w light can compete in coverage area as a 1000w HID.... looking at their par charts, at 36", the coverage area is only about 1.5'x1.5' for flowering, and a HPS based on numbers can cover roughtly a 5x5' area...therefore based on just their own PAR readings, and the DLI of cannabis, you would need 4 of their 500w lights to rival the coverage and PPFD of a 1000w HPS.

Also, with the guy being a engineer, he should understand thermodynamics and not be saying that a 550w light will produce 75% less heat.... heat load is based on draw wattage, therefore a light at 1/2 wattage will produce 1/2 heat...not sure how he is getting the extra 25% heat savings. Also since LED's vent into the grow area, they actually run warmer than HID because HID has a way with cool tubes and sealed enclosures to let the heat vent out.

For the price, based on just the par charts alone, an advanced LED XML 650 would be a much better comparison to a 1000w HID, I don't see those lights at 550w doing it based on their numbers.

Well I looked at their site, to me personally I'm not impressed. They have a lot of claims but no proof of actual results. I highly doubt their 550w light will mimic a 1000w HPS.... LED's do not spread like HID lights do, none of them do because they are directional lights, therefore there is no way that the 550w light can compete in coverage area as a 1000w HID.... looking at their par charts, at 36", the coverage area is only about 1.5'x1.5' for flowering, and a HPS based on numbers can cover roughtly a 5x5' area...therefore based on just their own PAR readings, and the DLI of cannabis, you would need 4 of their 500w lights to rival the coverage and PPFD of a 1000w HPS.

Also, with the guy being a engineer, he should understand thermodynamics and not be saying that a 550w light will produce 75% less heat.... heat load is based on draw wattage, therefore a light at 1/2 wattage will produce 1/2 heat...not sure how he is getting the extra 25% heat savings. Also since LED's vent into the grow area, they actually run warmer than HID because HID has a way with cool tubes and sealed enclosures to let the heat vent out.

For the price, based on just the par charts alone, an advanced LED XML 650 would be a much better comparison to a 1000w HID, I don't see those lights at 550w doing it based on their numbers.

Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated.

Hello Icemud, am still here willing to learn and I appreciate the writeup that you did in regards to LED v HPS heat and I'm wondering whether it may be missing something when comparing pure draw watt heat. Basically I'm currently under the impression that the main reason for difference in temperatures between different light sources is the actual efficiency of the electricity to light conversion.

For instance in my house I use 12w rated led light bulbs instead of 60w rated incandescent. They're as bright as the 60w but still use less of a power draw as they are more efficient at converting the electricity used into light. Basically for an incandescent to achieve the same amount of lumens output it would need to draw more electricity as it has a less efficient conversion rate meaning less light per watt and the extra electricity being converted to heat instead. I was always under the impression that this was the case between LED grow lights and HPS, I think that for a HPS bulb to be as bright as an equivalent LED it needs to draw a lot more electricity to do so meaning much more wasted electricity being converted to heat.

After reading your thoughts on the matter I'm now wondering if there is something that I'm missing. I thought about doing an analogy between cars managing the same high speeds yet managing more miles per gallon nowadays due to better design but really my only knowledge of cars is driving them so I would hesitate to go down that road :)

I hope everything is well for you and I would love to hear a definitive answer to the heat output led v HP's with the reasoning behind it as I see this question being answered differently a lot on the forums and some clarification would be great.
Happy growing and all the best :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom