Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Pots!

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Hello Icemud, am still here willing to learn and I appreciate the writeup that you did in regards to LED v HPS heat and I'm wondering whether it may be missing something when comparing pure draw watt heat. Basically I'm currently under the impression that the main reason for difference in temperatures between different light sources is the actual efficiency of the electricity to light conversion.

For instance in my house I use 12w rated led light bulbs instead of 60w rated incandescent. They're as bright as the 60w but still use less of a power draw as they are more efficient at converting the electricity used into light. Basically for an incandescent to achieve the same amount of lumens output it would need to draw more electricity as it has a less efficient conversion rate meaning less light per watt and the extra electricity being converted to heat instead. I was always under the impression that this was the case between LED grow lights and HPS, I think that for a HPS bulb to be as bright as an equivalent LED it needs to draw a lot more electricity to do so meaning much more wasted electricity being converted to heat.

After reading your thoughts on the matter I'm now wondering if there is something that I'm missing. I thought about doing an analogy between cars managing the same high speeds yet managing more miles per gallon nowadays due to better design but really my only knowledge of cars is driving them so I would hesitate to go down that road :)

I hope everything is well for you and I would love to hear a definitive answer to the heat output led v HP's with the reasoning behind it as I see this question being answered differently a lot on the forums and some clarification would be great.
Happy growing and all the best :thumb:

Hey Kriaze....

LED's are more efficient as they put out more light per watt of energy used so you are correct is saying that a LED's put out more light/watt than an incandescent that is less efficient. So in terms of energy efficiency, LED definitely will provide more light for less wattage, and with less wattage used, then less heat load is added to the sealed environment.

The main point I was trying to make is the wild claims that LED companies like to throw around like "uses 50% less energy" or less heat is only half true. From what I have found, and researched, there is no way for a LED running at 50% of HID to grow the same yield in dry weight...and from what I find, it takes at least 65-85% LED wattage to equal the yield of a HID grow. So in that case LED's can put out slightly less heat than a HID light in a sealed environment with no extraction methods.

Now on the flip side of this, since heat load is converted from KWH to BTU, P(BTU/hr) = 3.412141633 × P(W) where 1W produces 3.412 BTU per hour....

so lets say that you are comparing a 1000w HID vs 800W of LED..

the HID would produce 3140 BTU per hour
The LED would produce 2728 BTU per hour

now the part that I find not true, is that even though you see a difference in about 400 BTU per hour, LED's do NOT have a way to extract the heat directly, where as HID does with Air cooled hoods or cool tubes. LED's push this heat out into the grow environment with no direct method of extraction....

Now if you were to compare equal draw wattages, lets say 1000w(without air cooled enclosures) of HID vs 1000w of LED, then the heat load to a sealed room would be equal because BTU is based on the forumula above, which directly depends on draw wattage. Even though the efficiencies of each light may be different as far as percentage of light produced, the heat load is the same in a sealed environment.

So you are correct, that your 12w lights put out as much light as a 60w incandecent, and are about 1/4 as hot to run. But when looking at LED grow lights vs HID, with only about 20% electrical savings the difference in heat load is not too much different, and without a method of direct extraction, I actually find LED's to warm up my grow environment much more than my HID setup did with air cooled hoods.

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Hello Icemud thanks for replying to me. I wasn't sure whether I'd gotten the facts mixed up or not and your explanation helps clear that up. I'll continue to buy LED bulbs for the house then knowing that I am in fact saving electricity. Cheers :thumb:

Icemud where can i score some beans thats legit

Icemud where can i score some beans thats legit

Check out the 420 magazine sponsors, I believe there are a few seed companies in there.

Hey everyone....Update time!

Well I haven't been updating a whole lot lately because well, I'm in veg and vegging plants are sort of boring to watch...lol.

The plants finally have adjusted to their new soil and really started to grow fast with lots of new leaves and it seems that I have corrected whatever issue my harlequin and black cherry cola were having and now all the new growth looks good :) I think I am going to wait another week or 2 to flower, to make sure the roots really bite into the new pots and soil.

For waterings I have been rotating between earth juice teas, compost teas, and synthetic feedings.

My flowering tent with the XTE's:
IMG_20150603_063238.jpg
IMG_20150603_063246.jpg
IMG_20150603_063253.jpg
IMG_20150603_063328.jpg
IMG_20150603_063336.jpg
IMG_20150603_063341.jpg
IMG_20150603_063348.jpg

In my other tent, I have been battling thrips, and just noticed them about a week ago, so the battle will continue for the next 3 weeks and hopefully by then they will be eradicated. I have been using foliar sprays with spinosad in them as well as rotating in bon neem which is a mix of neem, clove and pyrethrins so hopefully with the dual spray approach the plants will be fine. These sprays always worked in the past so I am sure that they will make it through again.

Here are the photos:

IMG_20150603_063512.jpg
IMG_20150603_063527.jpg
IMG_20150603_063535.jpg
IMG_20150603_063543.jpg
IMG_20150603_063555.jpg

Hey Kriaze....

LED's are more efficient as they put out more light per watt of energy used so you are correct is saying that a LED's put out more light/watt than an incandescent that is less efficient. So in terms of energy efficiency, LED definitely will provide more light for less wattage, and with less wattage used, then less heat load is added to the sealed environment.

The main point I was trying to make is the wild claims that LED companies like to throw around like "uses 50% less energy" or less heat is only half true. From what I have found, and researched, there is no way for a LED running at 50% of HID to grow the same yield in dry weight...and from what I find, it takes at least 65-85% LED wattage to equal the yield of a HID grow. So in that case LED's can put out slightly less heat than a HID light in a sealed environment with no extraction methods.

Now on the flip side of this, since heat load is converted from KWH to BTU, P(BTU/hr) = 3.412141633 × P(W) where 1W produces 3.412 BTU per hour....

so lets say that you are comparing a 1000w HID vs 800W of LED..

the HID would produce 3140 BTU per hour
The LED would produce 2728 BTU per hour

now the part that I find not true, is that even though you see a difference in about 400 BTU per hour, LED's do NOT have a way to extract the heat directly, where as HID does with Air cooled hoods or cool tubes. LED's push this heat out into the grow environment with no direct method of extraction....

Now if you were to compare equal draw wattages, lets say 1000w(without air cooled enclosures) of HID vs 1000w of LED, then the heat load to a sealed room would be equal because BTU is based on the forumula above, which directly depends on draw wattage. Even though the efficiencies of each light may be different as far as percentage of light produced, the heat load is the same in a sealed environment.

So you are correct, that your 12w lights put out as much light as a 60w incandecent, and are about 1/4 as hot to run. But when looking at LED grow lights vs HID, with only about 20% electrical savings the difference in heat load is not too much different, and without a method of direct extraction, I actually find LED's to warm up my grow environment much more than my HID setup did with air cooled hoods.

I love it when somebody who knows what they are talking about publicly uses the bullshit slicer.

FWIW: I'm seeing some great results with the "new" ~315w CMH bulb/hood/ballast. You can straight plug them into a wall socket with the 120 versions. Anyone looking for lower energy solutions should take a hard look at them.

Not knocking LED, it clearly works very well depending on model, environment and experience.

I love it when somebody who knows what they are talking about publicly uses the bullshit slicer.

FWIW: I'm seeing some great results with the "new" ~315w CMH bulb/hood/ballast. You can straight plug them into a wall socket with the 120 versions. Anyone looking for lower energy solutions should take a hard look at them.

Not knocking LED, it clearly works very well depending on model, environment and experience.

Haha, thanks BrixKlinger, yea that wasn't for any company in particular but more about a majority of the companies and the claims they like to throw around. The more we make information available, the less people will fall victim to the bad companies and the good ones will stick around :)

If I wasn't using LED, I certainly would be using CMH bulbs, still one of the best lighting options on the market. And actually from the few tests that I have seen, they actually have more PAR output than most LEDs on the market as well :) I used to use the 400w CMH bulbs from phillips that would have to be run on a magnetic HPS ballast, still have 3 of them laying around and still have plans on using them in the future when I expand. I would love to see a CMH + LED grow :) I bet that is the best :)

I agree with you though, for a low cost but amazing solution, CMH is definitely the way to go :)

Hey Everyone....Well I thought I should bring this to the communities attention. I know I have used the product "Amaze" for quite some time now as I never could find the MSDS on the product. If you aren't familiar with it, it was one of the sprays that was used for high brix growing in the early days before Doc's kit. Anyhow I always liked it so I've been using it ever since....Until now...

I found the MSDS, and from what I read, not anything that I want to be spraying on my plants, or even in my living area> here are some of the details from the MSDS.

Potential Acute Health Effects:

Ingestion: Very hazardous in case of ingestion. Liquid or spray mist may produce tissue damage
particularly on mucous membranes of mouth. May cause irritation or the gastrointestinal tract to include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Eye Contact: Very hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant, corrosive). Liquid or spray mist may produce tissue damage particularly on mucous membranes of eyes. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching.

Skin Absorption: Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeate).

Skin Contact: Very hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant). Skin contact may produce burns.

Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally,
blistering.

Inhalation: Slightly hazardous in case of inhalation (lung sensitizer). Inhalation of the spray mist
may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by coughing, choking,
or shortness of breath. Spray mist may produce tissue damage particularly on mucous
membranes of respiratory tract.

Effects of Overdose: Severe over-exposure can result in death.

CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available.
The substance may be toxic to blood, liver, skin, eyes, bone marrow. Repeated or
or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated
or prolonged contact with spray mist may produce chronic eye irritation and severe
skin irritation. Repeated or prolonged exposure to spray mist may produce respiratory
tract irritation leading to frequent attacks of bronchial infection. Repeated exposure to a
highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in
one or many human organs. May be toxic to blood, cardiovascular system.

Routes of Entry: Absorbed through skin. Dermal contact. Eye contact. Inhalation.
Ingestion.

Chronic Effects on Humans: May cause damage to the following organs: blood, liver, skin, eyes,
bone marrow.

MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for mammalian somatic cells. May cause damage to the following organs: blood, cardiovascular system
Other Toxic Effects on Humans: Extremely hazardous in case of inhalation (lung corrosive). Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, permeator), of eye contact (corrosive), or ingestion.

General Information:

Nitrates: Ingestion of large quantities will cause methaemaglobinemia with headaches, heart beat irregularities, blood pressure loss, cramps and breathing difficulties. cyanosis will occur. Nephritis can result from chronic exposure.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans: May cause adverse reproductive effects (fetotoxicity) and genetic
material (mutagenicity) based on animal studies. Passes through the placental barrier in human and is present in breast milk.

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:

Acute Potential Health Effects:

Skin: Causes skin irritation.
Eyes:Causes eye irritation.
Inhalation: Causes irritation of the respiratory tract, nose, and throat, coughing and sneezing. May also affect
blood, metabolism and urinary system.
Ingestion: Causes digestive (gastrointestinal) tract irritation with nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

May affect behavior (altered sleep time, change in motor activity), cardiovascular system (heart rate), and the brain. May also affect
the blood and may cause tumorigenic effects.

Chronic Potential Health Effects: Prolonged exposure may cause adverse reproductive effects. Laboratory experiments on animals have
resulted in mutagenic effects. Prolonged exposure or exposure at high concentrations may cause eye damage.

So after reading this...f#ck using Amaze.....

I did look at the MSDS for PGR and it is harmelss.

That sounds painful. I have skin peeling where I keep handling certain nutes, PH down is the worst. I'm going to try organic eventually though, once I learn enough to just make it I'll give it ago :)

New Grow update!!!! Video

That sounds painful. I have skin peeling where I keep handling certain nutes, PH down is the worst. I'm going to try organic eventually though, once I learn enough to just make it I'll give it ago :)

ph up ph down are acids

Sweet Vid Brotha :thumb:

ph up ph down are acids

they cant both be acids could they?

yea down has the acids up has potassium hydroxide

Hey everyone!!!

Well Sorry its been so long for an update but I feel that constantly posting vegging plants is kind of boring so I haven't been posting as frequently. Things are going good in both tents right now, all my mothers and clones are in the veg/ex veg (blue) tent and the 3 large plants in the other tent are also doing well as the girls are just about ready to flip into flowering.

I have been giving the girls feedings of organic nutrients and compost teas over the last few weeks and it seems for the most part the plants are doing good. The harlequin still is having issues slightly with the leaves but the new growth looks fine so I am going to watch with a close eye and see if I have corrected the issues.

Well not much else to report on as of now, but the ladies are doing great :)

Here are some photos :)

IMG_20150617_222411.jpg
IMG_20150617_222419.jpg
IMG_20150617_222437.jpg
IMG_20150617_222450.jpg
IMG_20150617_222509.jpg
IMG_20150617_222602.jpg
IMG_20150617_222610.jpg
IMG_20150617_222629.jpg
IMG_20150617_222636.jpg
IMG_20150617_222648.jpg
IMG_20150617_222709.jpg

I also forgot to post this a while back but I had a quote featured in the June edition of High Times on the Advanced LED ad.... pretty cool :) I have to order a copy of the mag for myself, but a member on another forum found it and snapped a photo for me :) pretty sweet!

IMG_2074_zpsoe4gkodn.jpg

Those pictures are looking great Icemud. Love the colour contrast between the veg and bloom tent, pretty eerie but oh so sweet when you know that it's best for your plants. I think every home should have a setup like that :) All the best and congrats on the publication :thumb:

Great Update Brotha and cool you got your quote in the mag :thumb: it really is some cool shit
I had my pic and my moped in a japan magazine once :rofl: actually was me and my friend I have the copy of it somewhere
my old neighbor where I used to live his mom had connections in japan got the mag for me free of charge :thumb:

You could fit at least 1 or 2 more leaves in there for sure.

Yeah I thought that too, but then I decided yesterday, its time :) flipped them on Friday :)

Back
Top Bottom