Ilikebike's Soil Bagseed Grow 2011

well one plant is still alive, the others shrivled up and died. Im going to care to this one plant, and see if i cant y eild something off of it before i go and spend the money on seeds

Can't hurt, right? I'm still bummed for you, I know you were excited.

hey ilikebike,

I don't think plants suffer overdoses of light. They just won't produce more sugars then normal.
Bummer most seedlings didn't do well. They looked good when sprouted. Must have been an overdose most likely. In my opinion you cant really kill them with too much water when in seedling stage, they usually just grow slow or stop growing. But giving seedlings too much water for too long time, then it probably can be very difficult for the plants.
I don't understand why you didn't transplant them immediately, those containers you are using are made to be submerged into the soil entirely, the roots grow through the container. When i used those, "carton" containers i transplanted immediately them after they sprouted (recommended in the store where i got them). Can't go wrong really.

If you are going to germinate seeds in pre fertilized soil, then you won't have to feed them for the first week most likely. After that, start testing, like: add 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended doses on the package or grow schedule. If they take that well, then 1 or 2 weeks later raise to full doses.
When transplanting to bigger pots, again think about the amount of nutrients in the soil. So be careful the first week after transplanting with adding nutrients.
What i often do when not being sure about the soil. First i water the soil before transplanting, adding full doses of nutes, then checking my plants age and size to decide wether i´ll be giving them half or full doses.

Another most important factor is when adding nutes and wondering how much, is the amount of light the plants will get AND the temperature, day and night, where day temperature being most important.
Rules of photosynthesis prerequisites: Light, Water, CO2, Optimal temperature. For indoors also wind and air refreshing is important ofcourse, since windless days are usually rare. air in soil must be refreshed also, adding animals, like worms and crawling creatures do that outdoors a lot. A bit of wind blowing across the bottom of room, or wind coming from underneath helps a lot, and get pots with big air holes ( you can make them bigger or add more if you like, i made them slightly bigger, since the had a crappy finish from production ) or even better pots

Good rule for starting, 1) get the room conditions OK or better (seems you got that done), doesn't have to be perfect, 2) get good soil with imo not too many nutrients but enough for a healthy start, 3) and be gentle on the fertilizing, first time you'd better be off using a bit less then you'll probably will be using later. You'll have to learn detecting deficiencies and later on when knowing what deficiencies are, you can see how excesses are being shown.
Seeing the results of changing nutes in for soil can take a couple of days, i say 3 or 4 days at least before knowing the results, if they change looks and behavior right the day after adding nutrients then you have stacked the excesses of nutrients, after that still adding more nutrients or the same dosage isn't a good plan. Sometimes you'll see a quick positive reaction like lower leaves turning greenish again, usually a good sign, but don't raise again, give them couple of days to show the result. I made that mistake often in latter days of my experience.
The only exception i encountered was, when plants where in accelerated growing stage, they take a lot of grow nutrients in that stage, so when adding nutrients the plants started growing faster, but were also pulling a lot of N out of lower leaves after 2 or 3 days when started adding nutes> That's an exception i think. As long as the plant doesn't suffer severe lack of nutrients, then it wont harm them that much yellowing some lower leaves. I think it's also quick nutrients for them, quicker than retrieving from soil, so sometimes they really need that.

Good luck, i would definitely transplant the survivor, submerge the whole container into a big pot asap. The can't grow much roots in there and half a cup of soil wont buffer much water or nutrients.

wow thanks for all that advice, its alot to take in at once so i am going have to read it again, but thank you very much. I just checked my plant last night and another sprout popped through! so now i have 2 sprouts to work with! Still not sure what to do about the yellow leaves on the one sprout that is pretty big. The 2 smaller leaves on the sprout are almost completely yellow, why is this?!

PHOSPHORUS (P)
Slow or stunted growth, red stems. Smaller leaves that are dark green. Lower leaves yellow and die. Add chemical fertilizer containing P. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will apear normal.

Could this be my problem. id say my plant has all of these symptoms

Can you post some pictures? That's really the only way for us to get a full picture of what's going on. Depending on which type of weed killer you had in the bottle before you used it, you could be dealing with things on a molecular level that won't be fixed with simple fertilizers.

ok so i cant find my camera but i moved my 2 sprouts to bigger pots, put fresh top soil in. I also germinated 2 more seeds and planted them today. I added in a few more CFL's as well. I have

(2) 23 watt day time CFL
(1) 27 watt day time CFL
(1) 63 watt Soft White CFL
(4) 20 watt day time CFL

and i am going to start running the 400 watt mh light in a week or so. Still need to get a thermometer/barometer . i am thinking about buying an automatic plant watering system. do you think this is a good idea?

I would hold off on the auto watering system. You need to keep an eye on how much water you're using and when you're watering them and the auto systems make one lazy. :) Plus, it's very easy to over water a plant with those and flush any nutrients out before they have a chance to be absorbed by the plants.

I would hold off on the auto watering system. You need to keep an eye on how much water you're using and when you're watering them and the auto systems make one lazy. :) Plus, it's very easy to over water a plant with those and flush any nutrients out before they have a chance to be absorbed by the plants.

ok what about one of those JOBE Self Watering bottle, that comes with a little seal so it only lets out a few drops at a time. its gravity fed not electric. haha i know im being stubborn but if you tell me not to use it then i wont. I turned the 400 watt mh light on today. Its not giving off to much heat and its about the cfl's so i dont think its too much light for the plants. one of the sprouts is starting to show 4 jagged leaves. it is light green in color and their are still the two little leaves that are yellow and starting to die off. The other sprout has 2 jagged leaves and 2 round leaves. it seems to be a healthy green color but it started to sag after i transplanted it. so i propped it up with a stick, hopefully that helps. Im going to buy some pH down at some point because i have been using tap water and the pH of my tap water is about 7.2 -7.4 I realize this is awfully high but i dont have any other way of watering my plants right now. ill post back when i have more info thanks~!:tokin:

im definitely in for this grow, you got a nice little set up there, it dont get no stealtier then that, way to go dude, looks good. and i wish i lived where u live, bautiful land!!! if you got a minute i just finished my first grow and its got alot of info on there and i just started my second grow if you wanna join the ride with me aswell..but yea keep up the good growin man...

Instead of going out and buying ph down cut a lemon and use the lemon juice. My tap water is usually around 7.0 so I used almost a half a lemon per gallon of water to get it down to 5.9. I always have my ph a little acidic givin that the soil is usually more alkaline. And to bring ph up use baking soda. If your going to mix in nutes make sure you add them first then ph your water. Good luck on those sprouts.

hey thanks for the comments guys! it is pretty nice around here. its exceptionally good when your on a "trip" of some sort. (if ya know what i mean :thumb:) Good idea on the lemon juice, i read online that you could do that, i will give it a try. The grow space is very stealthy but i am concerned about smell, when i start to flower, any advice?

ok so my plants leaves are like closing up (like they are praying) they all pointing up to the lights. Also one of them is very light green in color and still has 2 small yellow leaves, the other one is a dark green, and the leaves are a little bit fatter (I think i might have 2 different strains) but both plants have the leaves pointing up. Could this be from lack of nutrients? are the lights too far away? is it my pH levels? i know pictures would help but i still cant find my camera and i need some tips before this whole thing goes south.

I turned the 400watt mh on about a day ago. all the lights are on a 20/4 cycle. The 400 watt mh is pretty high above the plants, is this is whats causing the leaves to do that? like their stretching for the light? also it has been very cold and rainy around here for the past week. they might have gotten pretty cold. The 400 watt mh light gives off a good amount of heat so it should be good now.

hey ilikebike i just posted some pics, theres this stuff that i use for odor control for small spaces, but it keep the whole entire room smellin fresh, i also posted some current pics of the grow, take a look and let me know, and that stuff u can buy it at homedepot for $4 and it lasts the whole grow, i swear by the shit.. let me know what you think...

Back
Top Bottom